Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuts on flights

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

only realising now that it's edible nuts you're posting about;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Why is it that nuts cause such a reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was on a flight with somebody that had a nut allergy. The flight crew made an announcement that nuts and Pringles would not be served on the flight. And that was the day a plane full of people learned that Pringles contain traces of nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

catallus wrote: »
    Wouldn't "overnight" depend on the altitude of the plane? Less gravity the higher you go, so it's brighter?

I can never tell whether you're joking or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Meh, we and generations before us have survived without a ban on nut products.

Every generation before us 'survived' by your definition. Every generation before us also had a lower average lifespan than ours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I was on a flight previously and we were asked to refrain from eating nuts on board due to a passenger with a nut allergy.

I had no issues in terms of passenger safety, but I would have preferred if they could have sent an email in advance, as I had brought a packed lunch with lots of nuts in it!

But that's a first world problem. There shouldn't be any issues in people not eating nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Every generation before us 'survived' by your definition. Every generation before us also had a lower average lifespan than ours.

My grandparents ate full fat everything and enjoyed a good drink, they lived well into their 80's. Allergies have always existed, it's just that so many so called 'allergies' seem to be fashionable. Clearly, a serious nut allergy or serious allergy to anything is one thing, but mummies little darling having a tummy upset on one occassion after eating something does not constitute an allergy. I had a severe allergy to bananas when I was a child, the school didn't stop other kids eating bananas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Have not seen nuts on a flight in years to be honest. It's those God awful salted dried things, like beer pretzels, horrible things. Only once on a flight where the captain ordered all nuts to be thrown out. Person was coming on who apparently had a reaction to even the smell of them. Never heard that before...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Sure the kids allergic to nuts can always wear Hazmat suits! You like to bring large carry on bags don't you?

Not need to post something like that. Clearly I was replying to a comment about the blinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Meh, we and generations before us have survived without a ban on nut products.

It's been fairly standard pratice for a very long time to ask passengers to refrain from eating nuts if someone is a known nut allergy sufferer on board. So yeah, through the consideration of people for their fellow passengers, generations before us have survived without a ban on nut products.

It's absolutely perfectly reasonable to ban nuts on a specific flight. Are you going to die if you don't eat them? No? Well someone might die if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My grandparents ate full fat everything and enjoyed a good drink, they lived well into their 80's. Allergies have always existed, it's just that so many so called 'allergies' seem to be fashionable. Clearly, a serious nut allergy or serious allergy to anything is one thing, but mummies little darling having a tummy upset on one occassion after eating something does not constitute an allergy. I had a severe allergy to bananas when I was a child, the school didn't stop other kids eating bananas though.

Actually, allergies are on the rise. Probably because pregnant women were told to avoid eating peanuts for fear it would cause allergies in the child. It turns out the opposite is true, eating nuts when pregnant helps to reduce the risk of a nut allergy. Also, there is a theory that living in an increasingly sanitized world where houses are cleaned with bleach and anti bacterial wipes everyday seems to affect the immune system development and has led to an increase in various allergies.

The extreme measures have to be put in place with peanut allergy because the reaction is so severe and it only takes a minute amount of dust to set it off.

Clearly, a serious nut allergy or serious allergy to anything is one thing, but mummies little darling having a tummy upset on one occassion after eating something does not constitute an allergy. .

Crew aren't going to ban nuts over an upset stomach. They'll be asking where the epi pen is in case of emergency. If there's an epi pen there's a serious allergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mauraf wrote: »
    My 3 year old son has a severe peanut allergy - required to carry an epipen around at all times.

Good to see that most posters on this site, would be considerate enough to abstain from nut based products for the duration of a flight, if so asked to do so - but for those, that are somewhat sceptical of what the 'impact' of someone eating peanuts in close proximity to a person who is analphyatic,please bear in mind:

- The dust from peanuts, that may be a particle so small it is almost unseen to the human eye, can travel through the air con systems onboard planes. A person does not have to physically injest or touch a nut themselves to have a severe reaction.
    - A touch / handshake / kiss from someone who has peanut residue on them, can cause an analphylatic reaction

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has a severe allergy - its a frightening condition to live with, and unfortunately, is becoming more and more prevalent...

Then perhaps the allergy sufferer should wear a dust mask.

I don't believe this airborne peanut dust scenario on board an aircraft anyway. The cabin air supply system filters any recycled air down to the microbe level, so it is not credible to think there could be a peanut particle coming out of a vent because someone elsewhere on a plane opened a packet of nuts.

http://www.pall.com/main/aerospace-defense-marine/how-cabin-air-systems-work.page

I think it far more likely that there was some nut residue at the child's seating location from an earlier flight and that Ryanair was trying to avoid the blame for inadequate cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Aw, I misread the thread title. I was expecting a rant about NUNS on fights.

I cant imagine anyone getting pissed off at not being allowed eat nuts on a flight. Nuts are not a human right, you'd want to be a right prick to say "if your allergic to nuts, don't fly"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

As someone who suffers from severe allergies (not nuts though, thankfully) and carries an epi pen it amazes me that anyone would have a problem with being asked to refrain from eating something that could potentially cause another person's death, particularly on a plane where emergency medical care is not easily available.
    If you've never had a real allergic reaction count yourself lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I've no problem with the request to not eat nuts on a flight.
    But it's something that you're looking for a perfect compliance rate on, to ensure the safety of the child.
    And judging by how people behave with regards to using mobiles, staying seated whilst the seat belt light is on, I just don't think you're going to get that from the travelling public.

What if nuts have been consumed on a previous flight?
    What if someone doesn't understand the announcement?
    What if someone doesn't care?
    What if some has eaten nuts before getting on the plane and has dust on their clothes?

I think unless the person suffering from the severe allergy can wear protective clothing to allow for the above possible failures, then they shouldn't be on normal commercial flights.

I've no problem with the request to not eat nuts on a flight.
    But it's something that you're looking for a perfect compliance rate on, to ensure the safety of the child.
    And judging by how people behave with regards to using mobiles, staying seated whilst the seat belt light is on, I just don't think you're going to get that from the travelling public.

What if nuts have been consumed on a previous flight?
    What if someone doesn't understand the announcement?
    What if someone doesn't care?
    What if some has eaten nuts before getting on the plane and has dust on their clothes?

I think unless the person suffering from the severe allergy can wear protective clothing to allow for the above possible failures, then they shouldn't be on normal commercial flights.

And I think that if passengers disobey a direct instruction from the crew the crew ought to be enabled to remove them. Oh wait... They are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

That must be terrifying. All allergies are becoming more prevalent. I think one study suggested expecting mothers should consume more nuts to minimize the risk of a child being born with such allergies.

But many people seem to believe the opposite and avoid peanuts while pregnant.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but it is more prevalant because these people are able to have kids and pass on the Defective gene.

I actually know a woman who met her husband at some allergy convention years back. Both parents have allergies to various things.

They were surprised that there kids have a VERY long list of allergies and issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

Both my daughters had nut allergies (one severe) during their early childhood and it was hell trying to avoid nut oils etc. in restaurants. Both have since passed as 'all clear' in their teens thankfully. I really do think that airlines should ban nuts as it is a potentially life threatening allergy. It is one small food group and most people would not mind having to avoid them for a few hours at least. It's not as if you are asking people to abstain from bread or chicken etc. This is someones life you are playing with and not worth taking risks for the sake of a light snack on a journey. I adore nuts and even prior to having kids I remember hearing announcements on flights asking passengers not to eat them because a passenger was allergic. Ironically, I never ate nuts at all during either pregnancy to avoid risk of allergies. However, nuts were my mum's pregnancy craving on me - bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Less gravity the higher you go, so it's brighter?
    Would you care to expand on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Was on a flight with somebody that had a nut allergy. The flight crew made an announcement that nuts and Pringles would not be served on the flight. And that was the day a plane full of people learned that Pringles contain traces of nuts
    Really? Cause all these say otherwise. You were denied your right to Pringles for no good reason, sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Once again I'm probably the only one disappointed not to be reading boardsies accounts of the mad lad in aisle 5 getting tasered after weeing on the pilot..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

And I think that if passengers disobey a direct instruction from the crew the crew ought to be enabled to remove them. Oh wait... They are...
    What's you're point?

If they've ignored the request and are eating something with nuts in it, then potentially the damage has already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Both my daughters had nut allergies (one severe) during their early childhood and it was hell trying to avoid nut oils etc. in restaurants. Both have since passed as 'all clear' in their teens thankfully. I really do think that airlines should ban nuts as it is a potentially life threatening allergy. It is one small food group and most people would not mind having to avoid them for a few hours at least. It's not as if you are asking people to abstain from bread or chicken etc. This is someones life you are playing with and not worth taking risks for the sake of a light snack on a journey. I adore nuts and even prior to having kids I remember hearing announcements on flights asking passengers not to eat them because a passenger was allergic. Ironically, I never ate nuts at all during either pregnancy to avoid risk of allergies. However, nuts were my mum's pregnancy craving on me - bizarre!

Well that's exactly what people have just said, that possibly abstaining from nuts during pregnancy caused your kids lack of tolerance to them, so maybe not so bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Crew aren't going to ban nuts over an upset stomach. They'll be asking where the epi pen is in case of emergency. If there's an epi pen there's a serious allergy.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I didn't mean upset tummies due to peanut allergies, just that with some parents it almost seems as though they're in competition with each other over whose child has the worst allergy, and in most cases it isn't even an allergy. Clearly, there are serious allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Any food allergy is frightening. I suffer from a shellfish allergy & also carry an epi pen. While it's easier to live with than a nut allergy it's still risky going for dinner at a new restaurant I'm not familiar with. People without allergies don't realise how serious it can be to have a reaction.

Advertisement