Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuts on flights

Options
  • 13-10-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭

Another report in the DM today about a BA passengers having issues with the airline serving nuts on a flight from London to Larnaca.

For some reason, reports such as this are becoming more prevalent, so what is the solution?

1: Should airlines refuse to serve nuts?
    2: Should parents take their kids to a non-flying destination for holidays?
    3: Is it fair to expect everyone on an aircraft not to eat something because of one person?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

If someone has allergies that are medically documented as being so sever then there might be room to ban nuts on the flight that they are on, but I could see such an approach being abused.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I find if I don't read the DM, I never have to worry about so many of the problems which they create.

Life is literally that simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This is more of an After Hours topic, however . . .

Maybe, no, yes.

It's easy to sit up there on the high horse and be indignant about not being allowed eat nuts for an hour, or maybe 6 or 7 hours. What's the impact on the nut eating individual? Almost nil. Effectively, in the long run the impact on the nut eater is nil. For the person with the allergy the impact in the short term can be lethal. It's that simple.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I find if I don't read the DM, I never have to worry about so many of the problems which they create.

Life is literally that simple...

Lol. You can guarantee if the airlines decided to stop serving nuts we would see headline from the Mail: "Political correctness gone mad!! Airlines bow to anti-nut extremists!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

porsche959 wrote: »
    Lol. You can guarantee if the airlines decided to stop serving nuts we I would see headline from the Mail: "Political correctness gone mad!! Airlines bow to anti-nut extremists!"

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

smurfjed wrote: »
    Another report in the DM today about a BA passengers having issues with the airline serving nuts on a flight from London to Larnaca.

For some reason, reports such as this are becoming more prevalent, so what is the solution?

1: Should airlines refuse to serve nuts?
    2: Should parents take their kids to a non-flying destination for holidays?
    3: Is it fair to expect everyone on an aircraft not to eat something because of one person?

What do you think?

Discussions based on Daily Mail articles should really be quarantined into AH, imo.

Anyway:

1 - if there's a case of serious allergy on board, yes. They'll know in advance.
    2 - why? How does this solve anything?
    3 - absolutely. I love a snickers, but for one three hour flight I can happily have a Mars, Twix or ham sandwich instead. I don't beleive my right to eat a specific snack at a specifci altitude is in the constitution?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I was on a Delta flight recently from Dublin to Atlanta. Prior to departing an announcement was made that there was a child on board with a severe nut allergy. Passengers were asked to to consume any nut products and were told that nuts would not be served.

It seems odd that anyone would have an issue with this. I like my nuts as much as the next man but I will do without for a few hours for the sake of keeping a child alive.

It also seems a bit harsh to deny a child the chance to go to Disney or whatever just because of someone's "right" to eat peanuts on a flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I went to Thailand last month and was surprised they were serving nuts on the flight. Seems insane to me to risk it. Would it not be easier to just ban them on all flights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If they can ban alcohol, surely they can ban nuts. Not worth a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yeah this thread is not suitable for our Travel forum. Moved to where it may be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So what's the deal with airline peanuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Time to unfollow the thread so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Do people who like nuts enter into apoplectic shock when they go on a flight and there's no nuts? Replace them with Bacon Fries and save lives

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My sons school doesn't allow nut products. Some kid has a severe allergy, so no peanut butter sandwiches. It was a pain at first, (limited amount of things he would normally eat - Special Needs) but it forced me to expand his options.

It's a minor inconvenience (at most) for people missing their nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No source so I can't read any background but will give a general AH answer:

Anyone with a nut allergy will just have to stay home forever. Simples. Not my fault they have defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Are nut allergies so serious that somebody opening and eating a packet 10 rows away (or in the nest seat) could bring on a reaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I don't think parents should take theirs kids on planes if they are so allergic that somebody nearby eating nuts could kill the child. And not because I couldn't do without nuts for a few hours, but because there is always at least one moron on every flight. Have you ever been on a overnight night flight where the moron just has to have the window blind up disturbing the entire cabin's sleep, or the moron who just has to use the toilet as the flight descends with the seatbelt lights on, or the moron who just has to bring a giant carry-on bag, but boards last so they have nowhere to put it.
    Would I trust that moron with the life of my child?, ...eh no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

osarusan wrote: »
    Are nut allergies so serious that somebody opening and eating a packet 10 rows away (or in the nest seat) could bring on a reaction?

They can be.
    I had a friend growing up with really severe allergies and she would have a reaction when someone in the same room would open a packet of peanuts.
    It seems incredible and if I hadn't seen it myself I would doubt it, too, but especially peanuts can actually cause an asthma attack at the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

osarusan wrote: »
    Yes, my cousin has a little girl like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Shenshen wrote: »
    They can be.
    I had a friend growing up with really severe allergies and she would have a reaction when someone in the same room would open a packet of peanuts.
    It seems incredible and if I hadn't seen it myself I would doubt it, too, but especially peanuts can actually cause an asthma attack at the distance.
    I accept what you say, but there is an oddity about nut allergy: what we call a peanut is not truly a nut, but people who are allergic to nuts are also allergic to peanuts.

[No, I don't think it is all in the mind. I'm sure that peanuts have some chemical makeup in common with true nuts.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Shenshen wrote: »
    They can be.

Not asthma, but anaphyactic shock which is much more serious.

Remember the case last December of Emma Sloan who collapsed and died on O'Connell Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nino Brown wrote: »
    ... Have you ever been on a overnight night flight where the moron just has to have the window blind up disturbing the entire cabin's sleep...

Why would a window blind up on an "overnight night flight" disturb the entire cabin's sleep?
    It's dark outside the plane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I like chocolate covered peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I know it's a Daily Mail article, but back in August there was a 4 year old who went into anaphylactic shock and lost consciousness on a flight. The crew made three announcements asking passengers not to eat nuts and they refused to give out nuts on board. The passenger has been banned from flying with Ryanair for 2 years for disregarding the crews instructions.

I think it's up to the airlines to decide, however personally I'd be in favour of asking passenger to refrain from eating nuts when there are sensitive passengers on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

catallus wrote: »
    I like chocolate covered peanuts.

What's your thoughts of chocolate covered raisins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Awful. The work of the devil, almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I don't think parents should take theirs kids on planes if they are so allergic that somebody nearby eating nuts could kill the child. And not because I couldn't do without nuts for a few hours, but because there is always at least one moron on every flight. Have you ever been on a overnight night flight where the moron just has to have the window blind up disturbing the entire cabin's sleep, or the moron who just has to use the toilet as the flight descends with the seatbelt lights on, or the moron who just has to bring a giant carry-on bag, but boards last so they have nowhere to put it.
    Would I trust that moron with the life of my child?, ...eh no.

I'd be more inclined to ban morons from flying than kids.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

MarkR wrote: »
    My sons school doesn't allow nut products. Some kid has a severe allergy, so no peanut butter sandwiches. It was a pain at first, (limited amount of things he would normally eat - Special Needs) but it forced me to expand his options.

It's a minor inconvenience (at most) for people missing their nuts.

In fairness I would count this as a plus. Why would you give your kid something that looks and (probably) tastes like worm sh1t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

We need a Hollywood movie about this before we can really make up our minds, e.g. "Snacks On A Plane" or "Marathon Man" (set in the 1980s before it became Snickers) or "Satay Night Fever".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Advertisement