Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuts on flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

osarusan wrote: »
    Are nut allergies so serious that somebody opening and eating a packet 10 rows away (or in the nest seat) could bring on a reaction?

In the recycled air environment of an aeroplane, yes. It seems incredible to me that peanuts are the industry standard snack for airlines considering how leathal they can be to those with an allergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

My 3 year old son has a severe peanut allergy - required to carry an epipen around at all times.

Good to see that most posters on this site, would be considerate enough to abstain from nut based products for the duration of a flight, if so asked to do so - but for those, that are somewhat sceptical of what the 'impact' of someone eating peanuts in close proximity to a person who is analphyatic,please bear in mind:

- The dust from peanuts, that may be a particle so small it is almost unseen to the human eye, can travel through the air con systems onboard planes. A person does not have to physically injest or touch a nut themselves to have a severe reaction.
    - A touch / handshake / kiss from someone who has peanut residue on them, can cause an analphylatic reaction

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has a severe allergy - its a frightening condition to live with, and unfortunately, is becoming more and more prevalent...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

I read this title as "Nuns on flights"
    Disappointing to read about nuts banning nuts, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If you cover the peanuts in chocolate then you don't have any dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

mauraf wrote: »
    Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has a severe allergy - its a frightening condition to live with, and unfortunately, is becoming more and more prevalent...

That must be terrifying. All allergies are becoming more prevalent. I think one study suggested expecting mothers should consume more nuts to minimize the risk of a child being born with such allergies.

But many people seem to believe the opposite and avoid peanuts while pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I'm about to get on 2 long haul flights back to back, while I like the bag of Peanuts they give you (I normally ask for a few...) I can go without if requested, but to ban totally is a bit of a over reaction, if a Passenger has an allergy all they have to do is alert the cabin crew prior to boarding and the crew can handle it from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I thought most airlines had quietly switched to pretzels. I can't remember the last time I got nuts on a plane.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Egginacup wrote: »
    In fairness I would count this as a plus. Why would you give your kid something that looks and (probably) tastes like worm sh1t?

I don't know what worm poop tastes like. I do know what peanut butter tastes like. Peanut butter is delicious. I don't know why you would eat worm poop, and then talk about it on the internet, like it's normal? :confused:

Facinating facts from the National Peanut Board (US) Peanut butter is consumed in 94 percent of USA households.

I could not find a figure for the numbers eating worm poop, as they don't have their own advocacy group.

I'm from the States. I may have corrupted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Gyalist wrote: »
    Not asthma, but anaphyactic shock which is much more serious.

Remember the case last December of Emma Sloan who collapsed and died on O'Connell Street?

She ate satay sauce knowing she had an allergy, and didn't have her epipen with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Lad I used to know is/was allergic to nuts.
    Someone thought it would be funny to rub peanut butter on him at work. He went into shock and had to have the epi pen jammed into his leg, then off to hospital.

While I do love me dry-roasted, I don't think my life would be taken off track by not being allowed to eat them on a flight.

My sons school also has a nut allergy notice up for some twins there, I don't think my four years old world came crashing down around him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

allibastor wrote: »
    Someone thought it would be funny to rub peanut butter on him at work. He went into shock and had to have the epi pen jammed into his leg, then off to hospital.

Why would anyone do that? The mind boggles how people can be so careless and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ban all men from flights/flying.

/gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

MarkR wrote: »
    My sons school doesn't allow nut products. Some kid has a severe allergy, so no peanut butter sandwiches. It was a pain at first, (limited amount of things he would normally eat - Special Needs) but it forced me to expand his options.

It's a minor inconvenience (at most) for people missing their nuts.
    My kids school had a similar ban which was fine but I really objected to the way the message was delivered to the kids - posters everywhere about the evils of the banned nuts - as if they were one step up from nuclear waste. Nuts are a healthy and nutritious food - particularly for vegetarians - I felt sorry for the (admittedly few) vegetarian children who were basically told they were eating dangerous evil food at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

allibastor wrote: »

While I do love me dry-roasted, I don't think my life would be taken off track by not being allowed to eat them on a flight.

My sons school also has a nut allergy notice up for some twins there, I don't think my four years old world came crashing down around him

Dry roasted are the only peanuts, I have trouble eating, brings on a cough reflex, may be a mild allergy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Gongoozler wrote: »
    She ate satay sauce knowing she had an allergy, and didn't have her epipen with her.

That's not the point. The fact is that to someone with a severe nut allergy even the minutest trace of the allergen can trigger anaphylaxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

toadfly wrote: »
    Why would anyone do that? The mind boggles how people can be so careless and stupid.

Some lads are just pricks. Your man was one of those so guys thought it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

What is it about those nuts in long haul, they are so damned tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

josip wrote: »
    Why would a window blind up on an "overnight night flight" disturb the entire cabin's sleep?
    It's dark outside the plane...

Not necessarily.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not necessarily.......

I'm all ears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Why would a window blind up on an "overnight night flight" disturb the entire cabin's sleep?
    Not if you're flying from Europe to the US on an evening flight. For example you leave LHR at 6pm, and land in PHX at 9pm, you take off at night, but most of the flight is in Daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Not if you're flying from Europe to the US on an evening flight. For example you leave LHR at 6pm, and land in PHX at 9pm, you take off at night, but most of the flight is in Daylight.

You can always wear a eye mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

You can always wear a eye mask.

Sure the kids allergic to nuts can always wear Hazmat suits! You like to bring large carry on bags don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Gyalist wrote: »
    That's not the point. The fact is that to someone with a severe nut allergy even the minutest trace of the allergen can trigger anaphylaxis.

I didn't say it was the point, I was merely recalling the incident.

Nino Brown wrote: »

Overnight - "for the duration of a night"
    "done in, occurring in, or lasting the night"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Delta have Biscoff biccies, pretzels and/or peanuts. No bother not eating if required.

I'm all ears

You fly above the arctic circle in summertime. It will be daylight regardless of weather it is night or day. Same for the antarctic circle in our Wintertime.

In northern latitudes in summertime, the hours of darkness decrease as your latitude increases. This is exaggerated at altitude, so even at modest latitudes, far south of the arctic circle, the sun may never actually set. The same is true for the southern hemisphere in our Wintertime.:pac:

You fly above the arctic circle in summertime. It will be daylight regardless of weather it is night or day. Same for the antarctic circle in our Wintertime.

In northern latitudes in summertime, the hours of darkness decrease as your latitude increases. This is exaggerated at altitude, so even at modest latitudes, far south of the arctic circle, the sun may never actually set. The same is true for the southern hemisphere in our Wintertime.:pac:

Night or nighttime (sp. night-time or night time) is the period of time between the sunset and the sunrise when the Sun is below the horizon

I'm just being pedantic about the terminology.
    I know what you and the OP meant and I agree.

Night or nighttime (sp. night-time or night time) is the period of time between the sunset and the sunrise when the Sun is below the horizon

I'm just being pedantic about the terminology.
    I know what you and the OP meant and I agree.

Mmmm. We could get very pedantic and define 'overnight' as" the period from evening to morning"
    http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/overnight

But we won't:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Wouldn't "overnight" depend on the altitude of the plane? Less gravity the higher you go, so it's brighter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Meh, we and generations before us have survived without a ban on nut products.

Advertisement