Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It really did suck being an 80s/90s kid didn't it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Trolls were far better back then, I'll tell you that much.

Put it better than I could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

I assume the op is been sarcastic.

Sega Mega Drive. Enough said.

No I'm being entirely serious. All the recent football games are far better and are constantly improving, how could you argue against it?

At least in comparison in the days when playing GOAL on the NES, or ISS on the snes. It looks comical now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

pablo128 wrote: »
    I was born in '75, and I can tell you that the 80's were grim. The music was diabolical, fcuking WetWet Wet, Spandau Ballet, fcuk right off. To this day I have an irrational hatred of most pop music. Guns 'n Roses were for me the saving grace of the 80's, music wise.

Now the 90's were a different matter. Raves were just emerging, and I was privileged to be there from nearly the start of it. Some of the best nights of my life were spent in the capitals Raves in the early to mid 90's.
    There was loads of brilliant music in the 80s IMO. Yeh Wet Wet Wet sucked but there were numerous excellent acts, and it was the decade of Prince's and Madonna's and U2's best work.
    Early 90s was the biz too for sure.
    My "era" (as in, leaving school, turning 18 etc) was Britpop, which I hated tbh. Would have preferred to have been that age five years earlier at least, to experience rave. Although rose-tinted specs is such a true phenomenon: looking back at Britpop now, I think a lot of it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Birneybau wrote: »
    And then the good stuff like:

The Smiths
    Pixies
    R.E.M.
    New Order

Yep them too. Love all of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

"Ashamed" of being a child in a particular era? O... k.

At the very same time people were complaining about songs like Horny Horny Horny and Sex On The Beach being in the charts and young kids ears' being exposed to these.

Anyway IMO it was great being a child in the 80s/early 90s - TV, chart music etc were great.
    I'd absolutely hate to be a child now.

Lest we forget this particular gem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

DColeman wrote: »
    No I'm being entirely serious. All the recent football games are far better and are constantly improving, how could you argue against it?

At least in comparison in the days when playing GOAL on the NES, or ISS on the snes. It looks comical now.

Yeah but it was great at the time. Todays games will look comical in 10-20 years time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

brummytom wrote: »
    In terms of music (and this isn't something most people would agree with), I actually think the 90s was a great time to grow up. When I was 5-7ish, I and most people I knew liked S Club 7. Bands like them, steps, B'witched, whoever else, were great for kids, I think. Fairly tame songs, nice upbeat tunes about 'reaching for the stars'.. There doesn't seemed to be any music aimed at kids anymore, it's a shame really.
    I was raving ftw :p The freedom as kids we had in 80s was amazing. Family time was just that. Communities were closer. And kids got off their asses to call for their friends. You could wander for hours in town. Jump on a bus and have a laugh with bus conductor. Sometimes they let you away with your bus fare.  The country was about the people and not about the money. Viva la 80's and 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Op probably born in '99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

P_1 wrote: »
    Lest we forget this particular gem...

Why would you open an old wound - AND squirt vinegar on it? Why...?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Blasphemy OP, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Chart music from this decade is at its best ever, ever).

Are you a 16 year old girl?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rich family = clear plastic covers for books & copies

Poor family = wallpaper for books & copies

Welfare family = brown paper for books & copies

Bad times :(
    . What was no covering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Ha ha decade envy :):)

nope. we had it great!
    star wars.
    actually gettin excited at Christmas.
    black sacks for Halloween.
    handed down clothes,
    simple times. :)
    oh did I also say we had star wars??????

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Heavy metal was at its best in the 80s early 90s, the nes, snes and mega drive rocked as did cartoons.

Plus in the old days you could walk up to kids and play with them. You can't do that now because of all the paedophilia hysteria. I know some people who won't even let their kids out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I think cartoons are gone very tame nowadays.In Batman and The Turtles in the 90's characters used to beat the crap out of each other.Cartoons have become very politically correct and are not violent.I loved computer games like Monkey Island 1 and 2 back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Why would you open an old wound - AND squirt vinegar on it? Why...?! :(

Just be thankful that I couldn't locate the salt :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

OP is wrong

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

deise08 wrote: »

nope. we had it great!
    star wars.
    handed down clothes,

Every decade has star wars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

crannglas wrote: »
    I was raving ftw :p The freedom as kids we had in 80s was amazing. Family time was just that. Communities were closer. And kids got off their asses to call for their friends. You could wander for hours in town. Jump on a bus and have a laugh with bus conductor. Sometimes they let you away with your bus fare. The country was about the people and not about the money. Viva la 80's and 90's
    Ah yes, but if you wore shorts in the summer on an 80's double decker, you would burn the legs off yourself on the blue vinyl seats upstairs!:pac:

In the late '80's my folks bought a mobile home in Wexford. In an 81 twin wheel transit, it took over 4 hours to get down there. Today, it will take about an hour to do the same journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Plus in the old days you could walk up to kids and play with them. You can't do that now because of all the paedophilia hysteria.

That's largely because a lot of offences were being committed back then and not being reported, there's a good reason for paedo hysteria now, and it was because of what was happening back in those days that was causing it.

deise08 wrote: »

nope. we had it great!
    star wars.
    handed down clothes,
    Problem right there. Kids know no humility after missing out on black bag to costumes. If they had that they would know true value of money and being grateful. A good smacking with a slipper also needed in the new generations. Rude little buggers.

That's largely because a lot of offences were being committed back then and not being reported, there's a good reason for paedo hysteria now, and it was because of what was happening back in those days that was causing it.

True, but in my day we could roam the forests and be as free as a bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Is this you? http://www.davidcoleman.ie/

pablo128 wrote: »
    Ah yes, but if you wore shorts in the summer on an 80's double decker, you would burn the legs off yourself on the blue vinyl seats upstairs!:pac:

In the late '80's my folks bought a mobile home in Wexford. In an 81 twin wheel transit, it took over 4 hours to get down there. Today, it will take about an hour to do the same journey.
    oh my god I forgot about that :D They were the best buses lol I loved that long journey down country. Puking all over the car :p Getting lost on way to Kerry or traveling to butlins. Ah the kids today missed out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭furiousox

I’ve just come to realise how awful it was to be a kid in the 80s/90s. Cartoons were crap, music was awful (in both decades), cheesy movies, computer games and consoles were played were also embarrassing, everything about being a child totally sucked then.

Part of the reason why I think this is largely due to the amount of remakes Hollywood are making from the 80s and 90s now and how much better they are. Everything they’re creating now is far better than the horribly sh1ttty originals back in the 80s/90s, Transformers, Turtles, Thundercats, Karate Kid etc, all horrible from the 80s and kids these days are clearly growing up with much better forms of them no doubt.

It makes me be ashamed of being a child from that generation looking back at it, I’m jealous of the kids now, everything they have is far better. Chart music from this decade is at its best ever, record sales to back it up before anyone argues otherwise, (Happy could will go down as the best selling song ever). Kids have it so great now, I’m jealous I wish I was one at this time!

I’m trying to banish my memories from those two crappy decades, I hate them so much. Anyone else agree?

Christ you are a miserable b@stard :P

The only reason for all of these remakes is to build on the original success of the 80s and 90s. Yes there has been alot of technological advances but there will come a time where the current advances in technology will be laughable down the line

Oh and that utterly annoying squeak fest 'Happy' is a great lump of shít.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Every decade has star wars
    They didn't have the release of jaws and crowded dangerous cinema where everyone clapped roared and all the kids were like family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't seen an OP that was so "wrong" in a long long time!
    I’ve just come to realise how awful it was to be a kid in the 80s/90s. Cartoons were crap, music was awful (in both decades), cheesy movies, computer games and consoles were played were also embarrassing, everything about being a child totally sucked then.

80s and 90s music was a hell of a lot better than the manufactured talentless nobodies that make up the X-Factor and charts these days.

Cartoons? We had fantastic cartoons - Transformers, 90s Batman, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Thundercats, X-Men, Gargoyles, to name a few

Movies? Unlike the santitised washed-out PG-13 shyte we get landed with these days with remake after remake or overloads of one particular genre the 80s had original and classic comedies and action films to name but two.

I'll grant you that technology/computers have massively advanced but in those days we had actual gameplay - something seriously missing in the copy/paste FPS/driving stuff we get every year these days
    But you know what... in those days we actually went out and played too and made friends rather than just sitting indoors texting each other or pinging each other on Facebook.
    Part of the reason why I think this is largely due to the amount of remakes Hollywood are making from the 80s and 90s now and how much better they are. Everything they’re creating now is far better than the horribly sh1ttty originals back in the 80s/90s, Transformers, Turtles, Thundercats, Karate Kid etc, all horrible from the 80s and kids these days are clearly growing up with much better forms of them no doubt.

You what?

The recent Total Recall remake was dire compared to the original. Ditto Robocop which completely lost the whole satirical humor of the original.

The Transformers films (with the exception maybe of the first) are complete garbage
    It makes me be ashamed of being a child from that generation looking back at it, I’m jealous of the kids now, everything they have is far better. Chart music from this decade is at its best ever, record sales to back it up before anyone argues otherwise, (Happy could will go down as the best selling song ever). Kids have it so great now, I’m jealous I wish I was one at this time!

:eek: .... :confused: .... :rolleyes:
    I’m trying to banish my memories from those two crappy decades, I hate them so much. Anyone else agree?

Eh no, think you're on your own here mate! Another thing I really miss is that the 80s/90s was the era before the rise of the whole responsibility-shirking PC touch-feely nonsense that has gotten to a point where you can't say almost anything without someone looking to get offended by it, or where someone's bad choices are always the fault of "someone else"

• Advertisement

I've fond memories.

Flight of the navigator.

The Goonies.

Saturday morning cartoons.

And of course, Mr Freeze cool pops.

Advertisement