Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It really did suck being an 80s/90s kid didn't it?

Options
  • 12-10-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I’ve just come to realise how awful it was to be a kid in the 80s/90s. Cartoons were crap, music was awful (in both decades), cheesy movies, computer games and consoles were played were also embarrassing, everything about being a child totally sucked then.

Part of the reason why I think this is largely due to the amount of remakes Hollywood are making from the 80s and 90s now and how much better they are. Everything they’re creating now is far better than the horribly sh1ttty originals back in the 80s/90s, Transformers, Turtles, Thundercats, Karate Kid etc, all horrible from the 80s and kids these days are clearly growing up with much better forms of them no doubt.

It makes me be ashamed of being a child from that generation looking back at it, I’m jealous of the kids now, everything they have is far better. Chart music from this decade is at its best ever, record sales to back it up before anyone argues otherwise, (Happy could will go down as the best selling song ever). Kids have it so great now, I’m jealous I wish I was one at this time!

I’m trying to banish my memories from those two crappy decades, I hate them so much. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I was great, music is crap now. Cartoons were proper cartoons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Is this a wind up??? 80's Cartoons are the best.....He-man god damn it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I think because Hollywood are making so many remakes of old movies shows how bad movies are today and how good it was back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

In terms of music (and this isn't something most people would agree with), I actually think the 90s was a great time to grow up. When I was 5-7ish, I and most people I knew liked S Club 7. Bands like them, steps, B'witched, whoever else, were great for kids, I think. Fairly tame songs, nice upbeat tunes about 'reaching for the stars'.. There doesn't seemed to be any music aimed at kids anymore, it's a shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I hope you never apply for a job on Journal.ie/Joe.ie or Her.ie with that attitude.

Or, any other clickbait piece of crap. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I'm glad I was an 80's/90's child dammit I would love to turn the clock back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

90s music was incredibly diverse. More so than any other decade. I call shenanigans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I'd hate to be a kid now. I loved the cartoons/music etc from the 80's/90's. I liked them at the time anyway but it's over, our childhoods are all over. :( Now we're all old and serious. I'd give anything to go back in time to become a child again, watching the Den and the real teenage mutant ninja turtles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Computer games sucked in the 80's ?

I can tell you they weren't that great in the 60's either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What planet are you on, the best cartoons were in the 80/90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm glad I got to have my adolescence before social media became a thing I can tell you that much.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm glad I got to have my adolescence before social media became a thing I can tell you that much.

I could not imagine secondary school with Facebook and Twitter.

*Shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Depeche Mode
    Human League
    Visage
    Ultravox
    Talk Talk
    Adam and the Ants
    Soft Cell

To name just a few...

80s music when I was a kid was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Disagree entirely. Today's music/movies etc. is utter crap compared to the 80s. It was the best of times to be a kid! Not so gone on the 90s, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I assume the op is been sarcastic.

Sega Mega Drive. Enough said.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Trolls were far better back then, I'll tell you that much.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Rich family = clear plastic covers for books & copies

Poor family = wallpaper for books & copies

Welfare family = brown paper for books & copies

Bad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

You must be hepp'd up on goofballs.

Everyone know's the 90's were the best decade out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

"Ashamed" of being a child in a particular era? O... k.
    brummytom wrote: »
    In terms of music (and this isn't something most people would agree with), I actually think the 90s was a great time to grow up. When I was 5-7ish, I and most people I knew liked S Club 7. Bands like them, steps, B'witched, whoever else, were great for kids, I think. Fairly tame songs, nice upbeat tunes about 'reaching for the stars'.. There doesn't seemed to be any music aimed at kids anymore, it's a shame really.
    At the very same time people were complaining about songs like Horny Horny Horny and Sex On The Beach being in the charts and young kids ears' being exposed to these.

Anyway IMO it was great being a child in the 80s/early 90s - TV, chart music etc were great.
    I'd absolutely hate to be a child now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

No way. Born in the 80s. Love the 90s. Cartoons, computer games, music, 100 sweets for a pound... Sure everything was much better. Everything *shakes fist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Trolls were far better back then, I'll tell you that much.

Yeah but it too much longer to get a reaction back then, what with the speed of the postal services back in the day! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rich family = clear plastic covers for books & copies

Poor family = wallpaper for books & copies[/quote

We was po'. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Don't feed the troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I assume the op is been sarcastic.

Sega Mega Drive. Enough said.
    Nah, the SNES was where it was at

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

3/10 try harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was born in '75, and I can tell you that the 80's were grim. The music was diabolical, fcuking WetWet Wet, Spandau Ballet, fcuk right off. To this day I have an irrational hatred of most pop music. Guns 'n Roses were for me the saving grace of the 80's, music wise.

Now the 90's were a different matter. Raves were just emerging, and I was privileged to be there from nearly the start of it. Some of the best nights of my life were spent in the capitals Raves in the early to mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

DColeman wrote: »
    Chart music from this decade is at its best ever..

Sorry, there's no nice way of putting this but that's complete arse talk.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Depeche Mode
    Human League
    Visage
    Ultravox
    Talk Talk
    Adam and the Ants
    Soft Cell

To name just a few...

80s music when I was a kid was awesome!