Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It really did suck being an 80s/90s kid didn't it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Music was significantly better in that it was real Music played by musicians and not created on a computer which is why a considerable amount if it is still played today and still hugely popular.

Not all music created on a computer is insipid. I agree that there is a lot of manufactured music nowadays emanating from talent competitions, but some great music was created on computers over the years. Granted if you're not into dance/electronic music it may not be for you personally and that's fair enough. I don't like classical music but that doesn't mean good music hasn't been created from classical music instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Doris300 wrote: »
    Again someone spouts out the ridiculous 'real music' with 'real instruments' argument.
    I hate this argument. I have no respect for anyone who thinks that electronic music isn't real music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

DColeman wrote: »
    I’ve just come to realise how awful it was to be a kid in the 80s/90s. Cartoons were crap, music was awful (in both decades), cheesy movies, computer games and consoles were played were also embarrassing, everything about being a child totally sucked then.

Part of the reason why I think this is largely due to the amount of remakes Hollywood are making from the 80s and 90s now and how much better they are. Everything they’re creating now is far better than the horribly sh1ttty originals back in the 80s/90s, Transformers, Turtles, Thundercats, Karate Kid etc, all horrible from the 80s and kids these days are clearly growing up with much better forms of them no doubt.

It makes me be ashamed of being a child from that generation looking back at it, I’m jealous of the kids now, everything they have is far better. Chart music from this decade is at its best ever, record sales to back it up before anyone argues otherwise, (Happy could will go down as the best selling song ever). Kids have it so great now, I’m jealous I wish I was one at this time!

I’m trying to banish my memories from those two crappy decades, I hate them so much. Anyone else agree?

Heavens to murgatroyd lemme at him, lemme at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

I think the poster who talks about music made on a computer is talking about X Factor kinda stuff taking over the charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

...said every generation ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Lyger wrote: »
    I think the poster who talks about music made on a computer is talking about X Factor kinda stuff taking over the charts.
    Well my view is that 80's crap knocked out on a synthesiser was dirt, yet 90's dance music was in many cases sublime.

Seriously, for the younger folk who listen back to 80's hits and think 'yeah, that's cool', I was there. Most of it was sh1t. There was a lot of decent rock music though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

The only disadvantage that I think children have today compared to previous decades is down to their parents being extremely overprotective. Irish parents of late have adopted a very American style of parenting where all of their play time is structured, e.g organised playdates to friends houses where the parents give them activities to do. I think that kids should be left alone and allowed to invent their own ways to have fun like we did. I really don't see a problem in them being on the ipads or the likes as long as it doesn't become too obtrusive to their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

OP must have had a miserable childhood. Most people think the decade they grew up in was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well my view is that 80's crap knocked out on a synthesiser was dirt, yet 90's dance music was in many cases sublime.

Seriously, for the younger folk who listen back to 80's hits and think 'yeah, that's cool', I was there. Most of it was sh1t. There was a lot of decent rock music though.
    I think 80s chart music was brilliant compared to now, especially the earlier part of the decade. I was kinda there - well a child.

pablo128 wrote: »

I think that a lot of popular electronic-based music in the 80's was crap. Granted you had artists like New Order, Depeche Mode and The Human League who knew what they were doing and came out with some great stuff. You also had more underground artists like Skinny Puppy who were taking electronic music to dark and harsh places with thrilling results. But I think that a lot of mainstream artists and record labels were just infatuated with the novelty of improved synths and the arival of samplers but didn't really know how to use them properly. The result was some horrible (and now vastly dated) sounding music.

I think that the 90's was the best decade for electronic music. People go on about how Nirvana's Nevermind changed the music landscape at the start of the decade, I'd say Massive Attack's Blue Lines had the greater impact in the long run.

• Advertisement

I think that the 90's was the best decade for electronic music. People go on about how Nirvana's Nevermind changed the music landscape at the start of the decade, I'd say Massive Attack's Blue Lines had the greater impact in the long run.

Agreed. Then you had the likes of Robert Miles, Fatboy Slim, Underworld, Aphex Twin, The Chemical Brothers and many others.

Agreed. Then you had the likes of Robert Miles, Fatboy Slim, Underworld, Aphex Twin, The Chemical Brothers and many others.
    Exactly, and you had the likes of Orbital and Leftfield making amazing dance music. There was also the whole drum 'n' bass thing that emerged during the mid-90's as well. There was some great guitar music made during the 90's, but electronic music came up trumps when it came to being ground-breaking and innovative.

Exactly, and you had the likes of Orbital and Leftfield making amazing dance music. There was also the whole drum 'n' bass thing that emerged during the mid-90's as well. There was some great guitar music made during the 90's, but electronic music came up trumps when it came to being ground-breaking and innovative.

Yep, it made for a great club scene too. There was plenty of floor fillers in those days. I didn't even need to get locked, music was the drug. Very rarely would I be compelled to get up and dance now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Apart from the 20p pocket money a week I thought the 80s as a kid were great people had less,were less pretentious and more likely to help a neighbour out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am sorry to say to the OP that I have to disagree with you entirely that the 80's/90's sucked.

In my day when born in 1990, I was glued to TMNT, Batman TAS, Spiderman, X-Men, The Flintstones and Yogi Bear as my cartoons while they were on the TV at home. I loved watching them to bits. Even TV in general was good as a form of your weekend entertainment back in the 90's as you had plenty to choose from such as You've Been Framed, Noel's House Party, Stars in their Eyes, Michael Barrymore's Strike it Rich and My Kind of Music, Big Break, Winning streak with Mike Murphy, Fame and Fortune with Marty Whelan, Bruce's price is right and Catchphrase with Roy Walker.

I have been listening to some more music from the 80's now because I had grown up in 90's. I would listen back than to the likes of Steps, S-Club 7, Boyzone, Take That and Spice Girls. I have listened to stuff from Michael Jackson and Wham within the 90's as my dose of 80's music and they were really good. But listening to the likes of older music from U2, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Simple Minds, Prince and Whitney Houston (RIP) made me feel that I had missed out on a lot my time from listening to them in the past in which I can get opportunities now to listen to it via Youtube and buying it online.

Most of the music today is brutal though but there are some gems of artists out there in where you just have to make a little bit of effort in searching the right type of music for your personal taste.

Movies were exceptional back in the 80's and 90's as well. I used to remember movies from the 80's & 90's such as The Batman Franchise, The Addam's Family, Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Forrest Gump, In the Name of the Father, My left Foot, Good Morning Vietnam, Ms Doubtfire, Matilda, Benny & Joon, Stand By Me and The Mask. The vast majority of these movies (apart from Batman & Robin) were of great quality.

A lot of Movies after the 90's were good as well like Calvary, Lincoln, The Beach, The Nolan Batman Trilogy, The Spiderman franchise with Tobey Maguire, Harry Potter, The Simpsons Movie, Ted and The Perks of being a Wallflower were exceptional movies within this period.

Someone else here said that Inception was a good movie to watch. I'm sorry, I had watched Inception as well but I had lost interest in it altogether as I couldn't understand the script from the beginning of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Eh wha?

Pinky and The Brain
    Tom and Jerry
    Teenage Mutant ninja turtles
    Batman and Robin (tv espisodes)
    Jaws
    Quantum Leap

Just a list of a few of the awesome tv as a kid. A bowl of coco pops or rice krispies with a ton of sugar on top.

It's was the decade that kids could be kids. Before EVERYTHING became dangerous and too much wasn't expected out of ya in school ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

That is a common misconception. It is just as safe if not safer to let kids out and about these days. We hear of horror stories where kids were harmed but this is just the news fear mongering to get the next big story. These incidents rarely happen and they happened in the 80s and 90s as well but behind the scenes.

I actually meant it from the perspective of a lot more traffic on roads than 30 years ago and they're travelling faster than they would have been 30 years ago.

I cycled everywhere from the age of 10 yrs onwards, my children couldn't do the same as the roads aren't safe any more

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The only disadvantage that I think children have today compared to previous decades is down to their parents being extremely overprotective. Irish parents of late have adopted a very American style of parenting where all of their play time is structured, e.g organised playdates to friends houses where the parents give them activities to do. I think that kids should be left alone and allowed to invent their own ways to have fun like we did. I really don't see a problem in them being on the ipads or the likes as long as it doesn't become too obtrusive to their lives.

But that's a fuppin massive disadvantage and a serious cause of social developmental issues that carry into adulthood. Kids would be way better off with little to no toys and lots of free play. The loss of free play is a disaster for childhood. That's why the 80s were so great for childhood. We had both, unprecedented levels of toys and entertainment without the loss of freeplay. It's not nostalgia, but an acknowledgement of just how damn good we had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChillMhantain

Chart music from this decade is at its best ever, record sales to back it up before anyone argues otherwise, (Happy could will go down as the best selling song ever). Kids have it so great now, I’m jealous I wish I was one at this time!

Hows life living under a bridge! Everyone has covered already but I couldn't not comment!

For the first time since started there will be no platinum records this year. Diversity in music/charts was far better.
    Movies were better. (A remake will never be better.)
    TV was better. (Fun, exciting, entertaining. Now its just tits, blood and cgi, feck a story.)
    Cartoons were better.
    Consoles were just as much fun.
    ashamed of being a child from that generation

Ashamed? What!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Faith No More
    Alice in Chains
    Manic Street Preachers
    Pearl Jam
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Nirvana

Some of greatest Music came from the 90's for me.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Remakes of 80s/90s stuff are almost always terrible. They completely miss the point. The new TMNT movie is the best (i.e. worst) example. Now the turtles are hulking, vein-bulging, monstrous grotesques. They're terrifying! The much-maligned live action 90s movies were miles ahead (even though you could occasionally see the stuntman's face when the turtles opened their mouths!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No way. Sure when I was growing up in the 80s it cost 50p to goto the Cinema.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The kids today don't know anything about the golden years of Zig and Zag. 'Nuff said. Telly was so good for kids back then, adults would watch it.

Bosco, Bosco, Bosco

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It was great to be an 80s/90s kid.
    Great time to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Every generation probably think their childhood was idyllic but I do think 80s/90s was a golden age. My parents had it tough growing up in the 40s and 50s. Money was very tight and they had little in the way of comfort. They left school early because that was the done thing and then there was the boat to England. 80s/90s kids grew up in a time of improving living standards, few of us had to worry about earning money til we left school at 17, and then college fees had been abolished so 3rd level was an option for most. Times were still innocent back then, we still made our own fun like our parents did and there was no pressure to grow up before your time, no social media pressurizing kids to look and act a certain way. Certainly didnt hear anything about depression and suicides in childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm absolutely delighted I grew up in the 80s/90s.

Music was a hell of a lot better years ago, there were some class movies and TV shows back then, if they were ****e they wouldn't be remaking them now.

I grew up out in the country and we only watched TV if it was too wet to play outside anyway. The freedom we had back then was amazing, we felt a lot safer than kids now. I think a lot of kids these days are spoiled rotten compared to us and as such don't really appreciate the value of anything.

It was class back then and I look back on it with really fond memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Remakes of 80s/90s stuff are almost always terrible. They completely miss the point. The new TMNT movie is the best (i.e. worst) example. Now the turtles are hulking, vein-bulging, monstrous grotesques. They're terrifying! The much-maligned live action 90s movies were miles ahead (even though you could occasionally see the stuntman's face when the turtles opened their mouths!

A lot of people would argue the 2014 turtles movie has been a rip roaring success, it'll become one of the highest grossing films of this year, and most people I've heard say it was better than both the original movies and original cartoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

iguana wrote: »
    But that's a fuppin massive disadvantage and a serious cause of social developmental issues that carry into adulthood. Kids would be way better off with little to no toys and lots of free play. The loss of free play is a disaster for childhood. That's why the 80s were so great for childhood. We had both, unprecedented levels of toys and entertainment without the loss of freeplay. It's not nostalgia, but an acknowledgement of just how damn good we had it.

That post is fantastic, I had children in the 80/90s, and that's exactly it they had lots going on for themselves but didn't have (in general ) the hovering parents watching their every move.

There was far more use of the imagination no one ever got a dressing up costume in a shop for a child, they had a dressing up box.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

The 80's and 90's were great, the cartoons were awesome and relied on an actual storyline instead of what you get now a days being nothing more than extended adverts to sell crap. People went to nightclubs to dance instead of to get rat-arsed and off their tits. Being Transsexual was a lot easier too, it was perfectly acceptable for men to wear make up and you could dress as androgynous as you liked and no one batted and eyelid, it was just assumed it was because of the type of music that you like. I feel sorry for young transsexuals now a days because the nearest they have to something like that is to opt for the goth look **shudders**. Bullying ended in the schoolyard, it didn't follow your kids home and invade their private lives too and it would be very rare to hear a story of a kid committing suicide over it because schools and parents had more power to do something about it. People respected people like Teachers, Garda, firemen and ambulance drivers unlike now a days where driving into an estate (especially around Halloween) is pretty much taking your life into your own hands.

Advertisement