Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recession over?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

doc11 wrote: »
    When you include pensioners and the various disability and lone parents payments and there are far more than 400,000 dependent on welfare.

Half the population are receiving, or are beneficiaries, of weekly SW payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Last time I checked there was 54 people sleeping on the streets.

Yeah we have it real bad.

Agreed.

Friend said to me once; "Times are really getting tough, we might have to get rid of the second car"

Irish people don't know what real poverty is.

There's a lot of wealth floating around this country, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Maybe the capital is starting to see an upturn but the rest of us I don't think so.

I deal business to business in mu profession and the level Of start ups are very low still and many don't survive past the first 6-12 months.

Lots of businesses who have been swimming in debt have finally been closed by the banks. Retail businesses stuck in long term leases from the boom have expired and chosen to simply close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The recession is technically over but it'll take a long time before the economy has recovered.

I think most people agree that the outlook is better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

keep telling yourself that, I earn in nearly €70,000 a year with a wife and two kids, she doesn't work, I have a modest mortgage in my opinion €1200 pm but I am not exactly living the hight life I am not starving but if my brother in law who lives in Germany tells me I would live like a king there on my wages, went to the doctor this week and needed meds €165 in total, thank you very much.
    The last few years my standard of living has been really chipped away especially the USC, if I was younger I would be gone nothing in this country but debt and taxes, went to London last year for a few days and the kids fell in love with the place hope they go when they are older.
    Kip of a country.
    Only fools and horses work!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Going to be a tough budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Sorry 87 in 2012.

Assuming it's gone up or gone down it wouldn't be by much.

In the grand scheme of things that's such a low figure.

People really don't have it that bad if there is 400,000 people on welfare but they all have a roof over their head.

A roof over their head could be an overcrowded hostel or a friends house where they know they've outstayed their welcome but have nowhere else to go. But yeah as long as they have a roof over their head they're fine, their children don't need a place to call home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Doff wrote: »
    Have a child, claim loan parents and enjoy the 600 a week you get. Who needs a job in this country with the SW benefits. Don't worry us workers will keep you covered.

Is it REALLY that much per child ??

f*cking disgracefull ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

the_monkey wrote: »
    Is it REALLY that much per child ??

f*cking disgracefull ...

Well it says so on the internet so it must be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Mahogany wrote: »
    Agreed.

Friend said to me once; "Times are really getting tough, we might have to get rid of the second car"

Irish people don't know what real poverty is.

There's a lot of wealth floating around this country, believe me.

If you are or were in the right situation before the **** hit then yes but there are a lot of folks that weren't and young people now feeling the squeeze. Does this even need to be said?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Family size Monthly rate, €
    One child 130.00
    Two children 260.00
    Three children 390.00
    Four children 520.00
    Five children 650.00
    Six children 780.00
    Seven children 910.00
    Eight children 1,040

go have 8 kids and watch the dollars roll in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The low corporation tax being scraped won't be a shock to the economy in the short term?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jillymayr

OP as far as I know the recession ended about 3 years ago

jillymayr wrote: »
    OP as far as I know the recession ended about 3 years ago
    The slide down may have ended but there are many who are still considerably less well off than they were a decade ago, we may well have taken several steps down the stairs and have stopped or may even taken one or two steps back up.

But at the end of the day we're still several steps lower than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Why are people blind to the deflationary shock Europe is risking though? If we hit that, without sufficient action taken by Europe (not looking good so far), we're looking at recession again. Things are starting to go bad again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Chucken wrote: »
    Did you even read that?
    Focus Ireland estimates that there are up to 5,000 people at any one time who are homeless in Ireland.
    People in bedsit type accommodation are considered homeless, anyone who is not a home owner or not secure in their accommodation with a long lease is homeless to these people because it suits their agenda which is raising as much as they can to feed and house as many as they can.
    Did you even read it?

I said sleeping on the streets in my first post.

Read that link again. 87 people sleeping on the streets not 5000.
    Many of those sleeping on the streets are doing so by choice because they won't stay in hostels and are not suitable for conventional housing units because of drug/alcohol abuse or mental health issues.
    Tarzana wrote: »
    This is incredibly black and white. And the recession hasn't been kind to those who left college or school just as or after the recession hit. As well as anyone who lost their job later in life because of it. Others sectors were hit too, not just construction.
    Indeed but my view of recession is being told I should leave school at 15 to get a job and help out my parents, I was told this by a senior grade community welfare officer in the eastern health board area. People expect too much now because they are used to earning hundreds of euro but back in the 80s IR£250 was a good weekly wage and part time workers were happy getting IR£2-3 an hour.

Now school leavers are expecting to walk into jobs paying €4000/month and are still not happy, Back when interest rates were topping 16-18% a first year apprentice got £30/week and had to work 40 hours for that and more in many jobs!

This may sound very Monty python like but honestly people don't realise when they have it good, They don't know any real hardships. all are sheltered and fed and children are put through school and college.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Now school leavers are expecting to walk into jobs paying €4000/month and are still not happy
    Fee-paying school leavers who don't have to submit a CV (to get 'kicked' into a job in Daddy or Mammy's friend's firm) I hope! :) Send them to Canada to run the family estate for a few years, I say. Builds character, and all that...
    Back when interest rates were topping 16-18%...
    18%??? Was that Nationwide or some other sub-prime lender (not called that then, of course)?
    This may sound very Monty python like but honestly people don't realise when they have it good, They don't know any real hardships. all are sheltered and fed and children are put through school and college.
    You think that was bad? Try eating a handful of gravel before walking backwards to school, with John Cleese kicking you in the head (accidentally, of course) while doing his funny walk. When you got to school, your slate was broken, and the chalk was wet... Then you had to hop home, with one leg tied to the other... When you got home, the hole was filled in, and your dog had died.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Now school leavers are expecting to walk into jobs paying €4000/month and are still not happy

Are you actually being serious here? Da fúck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Zincsnow wrote: »
    Do you have figures for comparison over the last few years to base this on?
    Yes - here is Ireland heading for deflation (less than 0% inflation - not far off; we already had a brief period of it early this year):
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/charts/ireland-inflation-cpi.png?s=iecpiyoy&d1=20110101&d2=20141231

Here is Europe heading for deflation:
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/charts/euro-area-inflation-cpi.png?s=eccpemuy&d1=20110101&d2=20141231

If we hit deflation and the ECB doesn't take adequate action (not looking good at the moment, the ECB's response has been pretty underwhelming), then we're going to get stuck in a deflationary spiral and debt-deflation, which will sap economic growth and create long-term stagnation.

This happened to Japan, and is a big part of their Lost Two Decade's.

Now, hopefully the ECB and Europe take proper action to stop this slip into deflation (again - not looking good), but if they don't, we're in for even more serious economic trouble, and potentially semi-permanent stagnation, like Japan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement