Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recession over?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

in Dublin - perhaps.

in the rest of the country? no.

the majority of the small towns and villages are on their knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

in Dublin - perhaps.

in the rest of the country? no.

the majority of the small towns and villages are on their knees.

This.
    From Cavan here and every town is seeing shops close on a weekly basis. Anyone getting work has to travel to Drogheda/Dublin.

Not enough or any effort being made to ensure jobs are grown nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I hope ye get something sorted soon. I know myself how hard it is getting let go. I was out of work for about a year and decided to go back to college, managed to pick up a part time job to keep me going and just started my 3rd in college. Already worried that there won't be anything at the end of it :(

As for the recession, I honestly haven't a clue. I searched and searched for jobs over the summer relevant to either of the fields I've studied/am studying in and got no where, probably the lack of experience that killed me off. The part time job is keeping me afloat for now but just barely.

15 rejections so far in the past 2 weeks. And these were all minimum wage jobs.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Last time I checked there was 54 people sleeping on the streets.

Yeah we have it real bad.

I'd love to know where you came up with that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Chucken wrote: »
    Was let go this evening. I knew it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier.
    I'm in bits already with worry :(

AH response

Get a job you scrounger, stop living off the rest of us.

Real response

Best of luck with the jobseeking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I'd love to know where you came up with that figure.

Sorry 87 in 2012.

Assuming it's gone up or gone down it wouldn't be by much.

In the grand scheme of things that's such a low figure.

People really don't have it that bad if there is 400,000 people on welfare but they all have a roof over their head.

Sorry 87 in 2012.

Assuming it's gone up or gone down it wouldn't be by much.

In the grand scheme of things that's such a low figure.

People really don't have it that bad if there is 400,000 people on welfare but they all have a roof over their head.

87? Where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'm still broke and taxed up the ass so no change here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

We have it bad in this country. One of the worst in any western country. Look at the state of the HSE and the housing crisis not to mention tons of other stuff. Cronyism, crime, IW, the absolute pillaging of the hard working middle class through various stealth taxes etc...

Ah look, things aren't perfect but this is such a load of hyperbolic nonsense.

Cronyism? Yeah coz no other country has that sort of thing. FG and Labour aren't even that bad if you look past the headlines.

Crime? Not going to bother looking up the stats but crime-wise, we don't have it nearly as bad as most western countries.

Water Charges? We're one of the last developed countries to charge for water.

HSE? Try getting sick in America and see how you go.

• Advertisement

Did you even read that?
    Focus Ireland estimates that there are up to 5,000 people at any one time who are homeless in Ireland.

Did you even read that?
    Focus Ireland estimates that there are up to 5,000 people at any one time who are homeless in Ireland.

Did you even read it?

I said sleeping on the streets in my first post.

Read that link again. 87 people sleeping on the streets not 5000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've been popping the Bolly in Cafe in Seine for quite some time now.

We're back, baby!!!

Did you even read it?

I said sleeping on the streets in my first post.

Read that link again. 87 people sleeping on the streets not 5000.

In Dublin centre probably. What about the rest of the country?
    I live in a small town of approx 1000 people and there are 3 people I know of sleeping rough.
    I know 2 families that have been split up due to unemployment and reduction in RA. Thats 4 parents and 5 children that are sleeping on couches in other peoples homes.

In Dublin centre probably. What about the rest of the country?
    I live in a small town of approx 1000 people and there are 3 people I know of sleeping rough.
    I know 2 families that have been split up due to unemployment and reduction in RA. Thats 4 parents and 5 children that are sleeping on couches in other peoples homes.

Listen the figures are there.

Yes people may be scraping to make ends meet but the whole country bar 100 or so people sleep every night with a roof over their head.

All I'm saying is its not as bad as people like to make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Sorry 87 in 2012.

When you include pensioners and the various disability and lone parents payments and there are far more than 400,000 dependent on welfare.

doc11 wrote: »
    When you include pensioners and the various disability and lone parents payments and there are far more than 400,000 dependent on welfare.

Thank you, proves my point even more.

All I'm saying is its not as bad as people like to make out.

I hope that sentence never comes back to bite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah look, things aren't perfect but this is such a load of hyperbolic nonsense.

Cronyism? Yeah coz no other country has that sort of thing. FG and Labour aren't even that bad if you look past the headlines.

Crime? Not going to bother looking up the stats but crime-wise, we don't have it nearly as bad as most western countries.

Water Charges? We're one of the last developed countries to charge for water.

HSE? Try getting sick in America and see how you go.

So cronyism is alright then in your book? McNulty up for Seanad nomination was fair game? A FG TD hiring his gf as paliamentry assistant on a 50k salary is grand sure.

Have you had any dealings with the HSE lately or been in A&E? Obviously not. That is actually my main gripe with this government. Under FG/Lab a already bad health system has got far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Only a small proportion of the population are actually feeling the pain of the recession I think. Those who left school with no leaving cert to work on building sites for €800 a week and who are now unable to get a job in tescos without their leaving cert, others who spent much more than they had because they thought the work was never ending and the good times were here forever, others who figured on their dodgey investments making them rich etc etc.

The reality is most people that saved and lived a good but frugal life during the boom are still very much on the pigs back while those who gambled and lost everything are blaming everyone they can for their own poor decisions and money management.

There has been no real recession until mortgage interest rates go above 15% like they did in the 80s.

This is incredibly black and white. And the recession hasn't been kind to those who left college or school just as or after the recession hit. As well as anyone who lost their job later in life because of it. Others sectors were hit too, not just construction.

• Advertisement

Was let go this evening. I knew it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier.
    I'm in bits already with worry :(

Ah no. Sorry to hear that. Not my first time getting the P45 so I've learned not to worry about something you've no control over. It all works out in the end. Hope you sort something out soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have you had any dealings with the HSE lately or been in A&E? Obviously not.
    Do not suppose to know anyone else's experience.

That is actually my main gripe with this government. Under FG/Lab a already bad health system has got far worse.
    Far worse? How, exactly?

What are your other gripes?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Here's a good article on the state we're in right now, and where we are headed - we're about to start emulating proper, Japans 'Two Lost Decade's, by slipping into debt-deflation:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11154553/Dam-breaks-in-Europe-as-deflation-fears-wash-over-ECB-rhetoric.html

Europe is heading into a deflationary spiral, and if the ECB's attempts to stop that fail (which there's now a good chance they might, as Germany is going to fight the ECB's attempts to stop that), then things will get Very Bad - we will be looking at permanent (lasting decades) stagnation, unless Europe changes course (unlikely in current political environment) or breaks up, and improvement in employment levels are likely to stall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Only a small proportion of the population are actually feeling the pain of the recession I think. Those who left school with no leaving cert to work on building sites for €800 a week and who are now unable to get a job in tescos without their leaving cert, others who spent much more than they had because they thought the work was never ending and the good times were here forever, others who figured on their dodgey investments making them rich etc etc.

The reality is most people that saved and lived a good but frugal life during the boom are still very much on the pigs back while those who gambled and lost everything are blaming everyone they can for their own poor decisions and money management.

There has been no real recession until mortgage interest rates go above 15% like they did in the 80s.

Needs more smug references to New York shopping trips, decking and Bulgarian property.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

More correctly, our children's debt! The amounts owed and the low inflation rates mean that the huge debts will remain a heavy burden for generations to come.

We have turned the corner in the sense that previously every period of growth exceeded the previous growth/recession cycle, now every recession cycle will result in a decline lower than the previous recession.

In other words this growth cycle will be fairly timid and will be followed by another recession that will result in us being poorer than at the end of the last recession.

You seem to forget we were paying off our "parents" debt and cleared it prior to going into debt again. Most countries carry a debt, it is actually extremely rare not to have a debt.

The wealthiest country in the world has had a much bigger growing debt per person consistently for decades .

Not saying it a good position or that we should have gotten into the situation but it has not destroyed the country like some would have us believe.

What people forget about the property tax for example is you now pay much less stamp duty when buying now. There are some people who will moan no matter what happens.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You seem to forget we were paying off our "parents" debt and cleared it prior to going into debt again. Most countries carry a debt, it is actually extremely rare not to have a debt.

The wealthiest country in the world has had a much bigger growing debt per person consistently for decades .

Not saying it a good position or that we should have gotten into the situation but it has not destroyed the country like some would have us believe.

What people forget about the property tax for example is you now pay much less stamp duty when buying now. There are some people who will moan no matter what happens.

Long term debt is one thing, but rolling over old debts into the future is another, the burden on future generations will be much larger than on previous ones. Also we appear to be entering a period of extended deflation (or weak growth) witch will in fact mean that the burden will be greater as there is no inflation to erode it.

As for property tax verses stamp duty, stamp duty was factored in when you bought and sold property, the property tax is payable every year.

If you didn't move house then you didn't pay any stamp duty at all, but you now pay property tax each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

anncoates wrote: »
    Needs more smug references to New York shopping trips, decking and Bulgarian property.

Foggy lad's post is so simplistic. The collapse of the construction sector had a ripple effect on others sectors. It isn't the cartoonish scenario he paints. And a lot of people that lost their jobs in construction and related industries had been there for years and had never lost the run of themselves. I have plenty of this cohort in my own family.

And then of course for new school leavers and graduates in the recession things weren't/still aren't that great at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ya...we'll just ignore the fact that almost everyone my age around here has emigrated....half my cousins as well!!!
    of them around 5 worked in the building boom

the reality is that people most affected are the lower paid and those leaving collages to find nearly all the jobs are nearly now mickey mouse jobbridge/low paid <e10 an hour

ya...no recession around here atal:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    near on economic wipeout and for some to say its no effect is definitely not from around the part of the country im in:mad::mad:

I'm in bits already with worry :([/QUOTE

jesus....I hope you find something....I know its a bit crap....esp with xmas on the horizon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Any retailer dependent on disposable income will tell you quick enough that there is no lift in the economy. It's Aldi and Penneys that are doing business. The retired on decent pensions are living well and that's the age group you see taking holidays and short breaks around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

There seems to be plenty of work for country and western bands when I was in Ireland last.

Advertisement