Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recession over?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

do you think were on the way up at the min?

see the news weekly saying the live register is dropping but I don't see for example: town a few year back tower cranes and building sites everywhere. still nothing about now even though claims suggest?

so have you been out of work and recently been employed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To be honest, and not to belittle those who have been out of work, I've had no problem finding jobs during the recession. Clearly one of the lucky ones.

Opposite actually. Got let go Friday, signed on on Monday and had the dreaded appointment with the socail this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Its all in the mind Ted. Were not going anywhere. give it another 20 years and we'll be in the new celtic tiger after the next recession. now are ya coming to the local for a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

I don't get it myself.. fair enough there people who it has not effected but a lot are out of work.

I work in a random sales job at the minute but im a electrician.. a lot of my friends are tradesmen chippys plumbers etc and we all work in different jobs to get by.

recession is still blatent in my eyes that's why I was asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Plenty of work for track machine operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Have a child, claim loan parents and enjoy the 600 a week you get. Who needs a job in this country with the SW benefits. Don't worry us workers will keep you covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Doff wrote: »
    Have a child, claim loan parents and enjoy the 600 a week you get. Who needs a job in this country with the SW benefits. Don't worry us workers will keep you covered.

The Rock and Roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any chance of a lone? :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Only a small proportion of the population are actually feeling the pain of the recession I think. Those who left school with no leaving cert to work on building sites for €800 a week and who are now unable to get a job in tescos without their leaving cert, others who spent much more than they had because they thought the work was never ending and the good times were here forever, others who figured on their dodgey investments making them rich etc etc.

The reality is most people that saved and lived a good but frugal life during the boom are still very much on the pigs back while those who gambled and lost everything are blaming everyone they can for their own poor decisions and money management.

There has been no real recession until mortgage interest rates go above 15% like they did in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Only a small proportion of the population are actually feeling the pain of the recession I think. Those who left school with no leaving cert to work on building sites for €800 a week and who are now unable to get a job in tescos without their leaving cert, others who spent much more than they had because they thought the work was never ending and the good times were here forever, others who figured on their dodgey investments making them rich etc etc.

The reality is most people that saved and lived a good but frugal life during the boom are still very much on the pigs back while those who gambled and lost everything are blaming everyone they can for their own poor decisions and money management.

There has been no real recession until mortgage interest rates go above 15% like they did in the 80s.

If they can't lie on their CV about a leaving cert then they really are in trouble.

I'd also no problem finding jobs in the recession from chugging to call centres. Again I wouldn't belittle anyone out of work but I wouldn't have much sympathy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

And were off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Nah it's just all those people who emigrated during the Big R coming back home now to buy all the land and property with their foreign millions with the intent of renting it back to all the true patriots who stayed to brave the hardships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Everyone seems to forget about the mountain of national debt we still owe. The public service are looking for pay rises when we borrow millions to pay them and their pensions. We may be getting out of recession but we are still in to much debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

It's not over by a long shot. More people back at work means little in reality. There is no evidence those jobs pay much and are giving people a quality of life.
    I believe the sky news phrase is 'working poor'.
    There seems to be more people back at work but are they decent positions with pay and prospects? ? Not really.

It beggars belief the recent reports that a.lot of the army are claiming FIS. State employees not being paid enough so as to claim welfare is a damping statistic.

mcko wrote: »
    Everyone seems to forget about the mountain of national debt we still owe. The public service are looking for pay rises when we borrow millions to pay them and their pensions. We may be getting out of recession but we are still in to much debt.
    More correctly, our children's debt! The amounts owed and the low inflation rates mean that the huge debts will remain a heavy burden for generations to come.

We have turned the corner in the sense that previously every period of growth exceeded the previous growth/recession cycle, now every recession cycle will result in a decline lower than the previous recession.

In other words this growth cycle will be fairly timid and will be followed by another recession that will result in us being poorer than at the end of the last recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

davemc180 wrote: »
    do you think were on the way up at the min?

Hey OP where have you been.

We're so far on the way up that we've nearly started the bext crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Esel wrote: »
    Any chance of a lone? :pac:

Lone parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Only 7 posts in also. Impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Japan's 'Lost Two Decade's since its financial crisis in 1990, where they have had long-term economic stagnation which is still ongoing, is what we're in for.

Unless the course of politics and economic practice in Europe changes drastically (which Germany is unlikely to allow), we'll be in a spot like this for decades - and there's a not-insignificant chance our economy will crater significantly for a number of years, if a Euro exit happens - but long term that may be our better option, if Europe doesn't change.

So yep, still screwed, and it will be a very long time before we see an actual recovery; the best judge of a true recovery, will be full employment - so long as it's not based on another asset bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Opposite actually. Got let go Friday, signed on on Monday and had the dreaded appointment with the socail this morning.

Was let go this evening. I knew it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier.
    I'm in bits already with worry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

People really don't have it all that bad in this country.

Some wonder why there is no rioting.

See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Live register always goes down in September, people go back to college on BTEA, VTOS etc, or get sent on FAS courses. Farcical Gateway scheme (Gateway back to the dole in 22 months) took on nearly a hundred in our local council too, which is probably true for most of the others.

There's still a massive queue outside the post and SW office every morning when I pass it on the bus and minimum wage is still bullshít in comparison to the cost of living and rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Live register always goes down in September, people go back to college on BTEA, VTOS etc, or get sent on FAS courses. Farcical Gateway scheme (Gateway back to the dole in 22 months) took on nearly a hundred in our local council too, which is probably true for most of the others.

There's still a massive queue outside the post and SW office every morning when I pass it on the bus and minimum wage is still bullshít in comparison to the cost of living and rents.
    The live register has been falling for over two consecutive years. Its fairly obvious that things are going in the right direction and our minimum wage is actually quite good although rent is high in some areas especially around Dublin.

Long way to go though another three to four years of getting people into work ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

yipeeeee wrote: »
    People really don't have it all that bad in this country.

Some wonder why there is no rioting.

See above.

We have it bad in this country. One of the worst in any western country. Look at the state of the HSE and the housing crisis not to mention tons of other stuff. Cronyism, crime, IW, the absolute pillaging of the hard working middle class through various stealth taxes etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

We have it bad in this country. One of the worst in any western country. Look at the state of the HSE and the housing crisis not to mention tons of other stuff. Cronyism, crime, IW, the absolute pillaging of the hard working middle class through various stealth taxes etc...

Last time I checked there was 54 people sleeping on the streets.

Yeah we have it real bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

It beggars belief the recent reports that a.lot of the army are claiming FIS. State employees not being paid enough so as to claim welfare is a damping statistic.

A soldier earning 52k with 3 children could receive FIS and that's excluding the 4kish of child benefit he would receive, hardly what i'd call proverty. How much do you pay people to do jobs with little educational need and limited public need on a day to day basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Chucken wrote: »
    Was let go this evening. I knew it was coming but it doesn't make it any easier.
    I'm in bits already with worry :(

I hope ye get something sorted soon. I know myself how hard it is getting let go. I was out of work for about a year and decided to go back to college, managed to pick up a part time job to keep me going and just started my 3rd in college. Already worried that there won't be anything at the end of it :(

As for the recession, I honestly haven't a clue. I searched and searched for jobs over the summer relevant to either of the fields I've studied/am studying in and got no where, probably the lack of experience that killed me off. The part time job is keeping me afloat for now but just barely.

The live register has been falling for over two consecutive years. Its fairly obvious that things are going in the right direction and our minimum wage is actually quite good although rent is high in some areas especially around Dublin.

Long way to go though another three to four years of getting people into work ahead of us.
    Like emigration you mean, yes there have been an improvement but in the main a huge percentage of the population are worse off than they were a decade ago. The exception appears to be young people in decent jobs who didn't buy property during the "boom", their disposable income is relatively high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,061 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Eddie Hobbs has an ad on the radio atm so it must be.

Advertisement