Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin's theory

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭cdoherty86

Darwin once said.
    "I can see no difficulty in a race of bears being rendered, by natural selection, more aquatic in their structure and habits, with larger and larger mouths, till a creature was produced as monstrous as a whale,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

cdoherty86 wrote: »
    Darwin once said.

And?

smcgiff wrote: »
    And?

Bears mutating into whales?

Did Darwin ever explain why earthworms compost? I mean, why do they do it?
    People just wonder about the origin of our species, the universe and they cling on to these dogmatic beliefs. Bible, Torah, Quran, Darwin, it's all the same BS to me. Nobody knows why an earthworm composts, it just does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Did Darwin ever explain why earthworms compost? I mean, why do they do it?
    People just wonder about the origin of our species, the universe and they cling on to these dogmatic beliefs. Bible, Torah, Quran, Darwin, it's all the same BS to me. Nobody knows why an earthworm composts, it just does.

you dont really get science, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

lanomist wrote: »
    just a question, If Darwins theory on evolution, that humankind evolved from apes, why are there still apes out there ?

Em, humans are apes, aren't they?

• Advertisement

Read your quote again, and put emphasis on the words 'as monstrous as'
    I mean, why do they do it?

Do what? Why do they breakdown organic matter - it's part of their digestive system. You might as well ask why do horses turn grass into manure (also good as compost)?

OSI wrote: »
    Because they eat food and then **** it out the other end?

Charles Darwin referred to earthworms as ‘nature’s ploughs’ because of their importance in mixing soil and organic matter, providing nutrients which other plants depend on.

Naturally, this is all just done randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Naturally. And plants conducive to such an aerated environment flourished.

Do what? Why do they breakdown organic matter - it's part of their digestive system. You might as well ask why do horses turn grass into manure (also good as compost)?

The horses mightn't have grass to eat were it not for earthworms, water and oxygen so obviously there's an interdependence on all the organisms and plants, animals that exist.

It doesn't strike me as a random arrangement. I'm not religious, but I just don't entirely agree with these atheistic dogmatic beliefs about the origin of universe and everything in it. That it was all just random and evolved without any direction.

So, burn me at the stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it wrong!

The horses mightn't have grass to eat were it not for earthworms, water and oxygen so obviously there's an interdependence on all the organisms and plants, animals that exist.

It doesn't strike me as a random arrangement. I'm not religious, but I just don't entirely agree with these atheistic dogmatic beliefs about the origin of universe and everything in it. That it was all just random and evolved without any direction.

ok, so you really don't understand evolution. it is a heavily interesting and complex field, which you would find very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

From a purely Darwinian standpoint though, homosexuality is self-evidently a disorder I dont know how the LGBT community would react to that though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Can I play the piano anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

It certainly was not random! Traits that were useful in terms of survival lead to a higher probability of survival and finding a mate, which lead to a higher probability of those traits to be passed down to the next generation. The less favorable traits died out as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Charles Darwin referred to earthworms as ‘nature’s ploughs’ because of their importance in mixing soil and organic matter, providing nutrients which other plants depend on.

You're assuming that evolution has an end goal. That earthworms and plants would always be the conclusion, and that achieving this through random processes would yield a probability so low, that it would be almost impossible.

But this assumption is wrong, there is no end goal. The things around today are just those that managed to reproduce, their children that carried on their genes are the ones who were best adapted to the enviroment they found themselves in. And so on.

there's an interdependence on all the organisms and plants, animals that exist.

There's absolutely an interdependence between organisms. And those best suited to each other are the ones that survived until now.

For sure all of the species on the planet will eventually succumb to the survival of the fittest - well, except cockroaches and Man Utd supporters (for the same reason!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

just a question, If Darwins theory on evolution, that humankind evolved from apes, why are there still apes out there ?

Bit harsh on the Irish Water protesters, but fair

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Taking this thread to its logically-absurd conclusion: If all creatures have a common ancestor, why is there anything other than humans?

Ask yourself why all humans are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

I call troll here. It's 2014 FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

There werent any horses before earthworms, and no, the probably wouldn't exist without them.

And?

Interdependence in nature doesn't disprove Darwin at all. The theory of evolution says that organisms adapt to their surroundings.

So worms likely helped created the conditions which enabled grasses to flourish, and when they did horses and other grazers evolved over time to take advantage of the abundance of grass.

The Interdependence wasn't by design - it results from the fact that animals evolved in response to various environmental conditions and grew to depend on the continuance in being of those conditions. If you take one variable away, particularly food sources, they will struggle to survive.

If given time however, something else will evolve to take advantage of the new conditions

From a purely Darwinian standpoint though, homosexuality is self-evidently a disorder I dont know how the LGBT community would react to that though

They would most likely react by pointing out the theory that there are benefits in having close family non breeding individuals when rearing offspring.

folan wrote: »
    ok, so you really don't understand evolution. it is a heavily interesting and complex field, which you would find very interesting.

No, I'm simply stating that everything is interdependent and must have some intelligent thinking behind it.

I believe there was direction, it didn't all occur randomly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Which are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

b318isp wrote: »
    I call troll here. It's 2014 FFS.

You say that, but there are a couple of DUP people in government up north who have been trying to push this creationist nonsense on schools recently. So there are at least some people on this side of the Atlantic who still buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They would most likely react by pointing out the theory that there are benefits in having close family non breeding individuals when rearing offspring.

Taking homosexuality as a persistent, pervasive trait means no offspring though.

No, I'm simply stating that everything is interdependent

yes, thats kinda the gist of it.
    and must have some intelligent thinking behind it.

I believe there was direction, it didn't all occur randomly.

maybe, but thats a convo for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We can actually see the early days of an ape splitting into two new species with the bonobos, in places they're just across the river from Chimpanzees and even though at first sight they look more or less the same they're beginning to develop into very different animals.

It's basically the congo river that separates these animals and it's already had a big effect on their behaviour.

It was the same for us, climate change placed a barrier between us and the rest of our species, we developed into humans seperate and the apes we could no longer breed with turned into chimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Taking homosexuality as a persistent, pervasive trait means no offspring though.

Nope. You're forgetting the nephew or niece the homosexual rears will also contain a lot of the career's genes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement