Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishments as a kid of the 60's,70's and 80's

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

at the very least child services should have been involved.

In Ireland the child services are involved if the social worker thinks the kid has the wrong colour hair. Anything less and it's ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    When I was younger, if I swore, I would get mustard spread on my tongue. I still hate mustard to this day.

My sister in law still does that to her kids!!

messrs wrote: »
    My sister in law still does that to her kids!!

And I assume she's not too bright, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Child of the 90s/2000s, got the bollocks kicked out of me more times than I can count. Kickings, the belt, no food, being locked outside, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Was born in the 70s's. Wasn't the worst kid in the world - neither was my brother so we didn't get punished much. Dad never hit us at all but roared his bloody head off if need be. When we did misbehave it was up to Mum to punish us but seeing as she was only about 5 foot tall, it wasn't terribly effective - just backside, arms and back were slapped while me and the brother laughed. Normally Mum ended up laughing as well......or else the dog would get between us and growl at her :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

My father literally cut me in half with a chainsaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

You guys are lucky bastards.

In my day we lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

My father literally cut me in half with a chainsaw

You lucky, lucky bastard. We were so poor our dad couldn't even afford a chainsaw. He garrotted us every day with our own intestines and then made us go down the mine to work for twenty five hours a day solid before making us get up in the morn' an hour before we went to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

mariaalice wrote: »
    Worst that ever happened to us was being shouted at and told we were worse than the bulubas, or that we would put her in a mental home with our carry on.

My mother used threaten to drown herself in the nearby river!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

My Da used to take out the tin whistle. It would squeel horribly as he swung it at me and leave bumps on my arse (if it hit me where the finger holes are). Tough times :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Ew, these threads are always so depressing, because of the abusive c*ntbags they describe.
    Holy fück. Were all Irish parents violent abusive arsèholes?
    You know all of them weren't.
    I'm in my late 40s and know personally of nobody in the UK that suffered such systematic abuse at the hand of their parents
    But as someone else said, it does happen in the UK.
    Back to the beatings...we probably deserved it, my siblings and I, abd theres no hard feelings between our ourselves and our mother. She actually feels bad about it all these years later!
    No ye did not. A smack on the arse is a debatable one.
    A beating though - no, a child does not deserve one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

No wifi for the evening, at weekends it was no sky and no wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Racyjase wrote: »
    For the kids of the 60's,70's and maybe 80's how did the parents punish you as a kid and did you deserve it? Without meaning to sound like an ole fart, it just ooccured to me how different things are these days
    Back then we were called children ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Back then we were called children ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It was the classic wooden spoon for me. Had the joy of a number being broken on me.

What a great time was the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Racyjase

It was the classic wooden spoon for me. Had the joy of a number being broken on me.

What a great time was the eighties.

I was a child of the eighties too. All my father ever had to do was reach for his big thick work belt. I never remember him actually taking it off or hitting me with it. Usually the threat of that belt across the arse was enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Racyjase wrote: »
    I was a child of the eighties too. All my father ever had to do was reach for his big thick work belt...

and by thunder his trousers would fall down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

And I assume she's not too bright, right?

She is a teacher!!!

QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

70's/80's child. If the worst story here was a 10 and not being slapped at all was 0 my experiences of slapping were at about level 2, max. I grew up thinking adults slapping children was perfectly normal; I'm steadfastly against it now and not because of my own relatively insignificant 'level 2' experiences.

When I was a kid it wasn't at all unusual to see a kid being administered a volley of whacks in public - that's changed and thankfully slapping kids is gradually becoming taboo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

messrs wrote: »
    She is a teacher!!!

But just not a very bright one.

Luxie wrote: »
    My mother used threaten to drown herself in the nearby river!:eek:

"If you kids don't stop tormenting each other in the back, I'm going to find a wall and drive straight into it!"

Worked for mebbe 20 -30 seconds at a time. :)

Candie wrote: »
    "If you kids don't stop tormenting each other in the back, I'm going to find a wall and drive straight into it!"

Worked for mebbe 20 -30 seconds at a time. :)

"If you lot dont shut up, I am turning this car around and will go straight home"

Even though we are only three miles from destination, and we already travelled eighty miles:D

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "If you lot dont shut up, I am turning this car around and will go straight home"

Even though we are only three miles from destination, and we already travelled eighty miles:D

"Next time I stop for gas, I'm abandoning you all at the station unless this stops right now!"

And all we ever did was laugh at this stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Ah yes, the car in the 70's/80's. I have memories of my Dad's gorilla-like arm, emerging from between the front seats of the car, seeking a fall guy for a slap to quieten the shrubbery of squabbling children sitting in the back of the car.

If you were not in the good books...

"Can I have an ice cream?"

"Ice cream, ICE CREAM, I'll give you ice cream..."

I never really understood that one.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    If you were not in the good books...

"Can I have an ice cream?"

"Ice cream, ICE CREAM, I'll give you ice cream..."

I never really understood that one.

My parents were very clear about the transactional nature of ice-cream buying.

"IF and only IF I buy the ice-cream, I expect at least one hour of absolute silence or there will be no ice-cream for the rest of the week. Is that crystal clear?"

"Yes Daddy"

15 minutes later:

"Next wall I see, I'm driving straight through it! Stop breathing on your sister! Stop wiping your nose in your brother!" "Share that Gameboy, it was bought for all of you!"

Good times. :)

Advertisement