Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishments as a kid of the 60's,70's and 80's

Options
  • 09-10-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

For the kids of the 60's,70's and maybe 80's how did the parents punish you as a kid and did you deserve it? Without meaning to sound like an ole fart, it just ooccured to me how different things are these days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

When I was younger, if I swore, I would get mustard spread on my tongue. I still hate mustard to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Wooden spoon! Did I deserve it? Yes I did

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Any friends I had growing up who were caught smoking were made smoke the entire pack one after another.

They're dead from cancer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Still got the trusty wooden spoon in the 90's. When Mammy went nuclear with that option, you knew you had done fúcked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    When I was younger, if I swore, I would get mustard spread on my tongue. I still hate mustard to this day.

My Grandad was a big fan of mustard for inopportune language ;)
    So at about 4 I started eating it by the spoonful to try and build a tolerance...
    He caught me swearing 1 day shortly after I started and got the mustard out and slathered a bit on my tongue!
    He got more than a little pissed of when I when mmmmm, thats lovely can I have some more!

Still tho, he saw the funny side eventually :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

These days parents probably just scold you on Twitter.

@ChildsName clean your bedroom it's a #disgrace! (pic of mess).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Sally rod, sent out to get my own at that. Was so stupid always tried to pick a good one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I was beaten up and down the room. Beaten again for whinging for no reason, during said beating. Beaten again for saying where the bruises came from in the Saturday bath. My mother was fierce fond of the fist, stick, poker, swat, hairbrushes, clothes brushes, sweeping brushes etc.
    I don't recall ever having done anything wrong.
    Oh, and another thing, she'd take my books off me.
    And make me polish the trophies and ornaments in the sitting room. Polish the brass on the letter box and door knob. Weed the vegetable garden, carry in turf, rear turf, pick stones from the ground and on and on I could go.
    Then there was the what we now call 'emotional and verbal abuse'. Told I was ugly etc. etc.
    Lovely stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Wooden Spoon for mum, Leather Strap from Dad! But then again we were wild at times. We were little pyomaniacs around Halloween time, making phosphorus bombs from the chemicals we found in the garage....Dad was a chemist so there were all sorts of hazardous stuff in the garage! fun times!

I was born in the late '80's and the very worst thing my parent's could wield over me was the power of their disappointment. I was never hit, beaten, spanked, wooden-spooned or threatened with violence but somehow I managed to turn out okay.

'I'm not angry. I'm just...disappointed'.

Absolutely crushing, devastatingly effective.

• Advertisement

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Sally rod, sent out to get my own at that. Was so stupid always tried to pick a good one.

Lol, my husband still recalls a time his brother blamed him for something. Mother sent himself out to get a good rod. Himself comes back, mother beats the crap out of himself lol.

Mad auld bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Nothing like getting sentimental about physical abuse!

Ahhhhh... the good auld days!

Nothing like getting sentimental about physical abuse!

Ahhhhh... the good auld days!

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

iMac_Hunt wrote: »

Father used to do that to my sisters because they sucked their thumbs until they where like 9 or 10.

For me it was having my tv taken off me or being grounded.

Sclosages wrote: »
    I was beaten up and down the room. Beaten again for whinging for no reason, during said beating. Beaten again for saying where the bruises came from in the Saturday bath. My mother was fierce fond of the fist, stick, poker, swat, hairbrushes, clothes brushes, sweeping brushes etc.
    I don't recall ever having done anything wrong.
    Oh, and another thing, she'd take my books off me.
    And make me polish the trophies and ornaments in the sitting room. Polish the brass on the letter box and door knob. Weed the vegetable garden, carry in turf, rear turf, pick stones from the ground and on and on I could go.
    Then there was the what we now call 'emotional and verbal abuse'. Told I was ugly etc. etc.
    Lovely stuff altogether.

:(

Gannicus wrote: »
    Father used to do that to my sisters because they sucked their thumbs until they where like 9 or 10.

Jaysis, you haven't lived!
    In MY DAY, I was the remote control, for the one black and white telly.
    I was in a permanent state of being grounded. Never allowed outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Still got the trusty wooden spoon in the 90's. When Mammy went nuclear with that option, you knew you had done fúcked up.

Me too. Hitting is not recommendable but I see so many cases of parents shrugging their shoulders. "Sure what can we do he/she must have ADD or something.

BE A FKIN' PARENT! Help your child, guide them, advise them, teach them to be responsible. Get help if needed. Don't just unleash another dckhead into society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

A good bollocking, sent to the room, not allowed telly, the usual. Parents didn't believe in hitting children. Still don't thankfully :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Gannicus wrote: »

"grounded" FFS

Did your "MOM" ground you?

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Racyjase wrote: »
    For the kids of the 60's,70's and maybe 80's how did the parents punish you as a kid and did you deserve it? Without meaning to sound like an ole fart, it just ooccured to me how different things are these days

Sent to work in the mines until Dr. Jones set us free :(

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Size 10 welly boot up the arse and knuckles on the back of the head were his favourites. Mum hanging off him crying "not on the head. Once he memorably ignored these pleas while he was cleaning the shotgun andgave me a tap on the head with the barrels. Surprised he didn't bend them! Ah sweet sweet memories and my sisters wonder why I won't have kids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭cdoherty86

Stripped naked and beaten with a stick, headbutted,elbowed and kicked, thrown around like a rag doll. Beaten with fishing rods then told by HSE counselors as an adult it was probably bad karma. Now living on disability benefit with mental health problems.

Auldloon wrote: »
    Size 10 welly boot up the arse and knuckles on the back of the head were his favourites. Mum hanging off him crying "not on the head. Once he memorably ignored these pleas while he was cleaning the shotgun andgave me a tap on the head with the barrels. Surprised he didn't bend them! Ah sweet sweet memories and my sisters wonder why I won't have kids :)

The knuckles to the back of the head were some job. Particularly when she'd get you in the jam of a door, knucles to the right side of head, head bashed against the left hand side jam of the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Had a hoover broken off my leg when I was 13 for sneaking out at midnight with my friends and drinking.

My excuse was that I was out the back garden playing with the dog.

Needless to say it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

cdoherty86 wrote: »
    Stripped naked and beaten with a stick, headbutted,elbowed and kicked, thrown around like a rag doll. Beaten with fishing rods then told by HSE counselors as an adult it was probably bad karma. Now living on disability benefit with mental health problems.

That's awful *hug* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

The wooden spoon was unknown to me but i did get slapped with leather belts. I was born in '86

Edit: My friend used to get the wooden spoon and to see him run when it was mentioned by his parents used to crack me up. His mother was tiny but he'd run for his life when she'd chase after him. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

"My dad used to thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, and we lived in shoe box in middle of road"

"Luxury"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Egginacup wrote: »
    "grounded" FFS

Did your "MOM" ground you?

"Mom" was a friend of the wooden spoon. My dad wouldn't use physical chastization as like me now he's a big guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hope to see the DailyEdge list that'll come out of this thread soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

banie01 wrote: »
    My Grandad was a big fan of mustard for inopportune language ;)
    So at about 4 I started eating it by the spoonful to try and build a tolerance...
    He caught me swearing 1 day shortly after I started and got the mustard out and slathered a bit on my tongue!
    He got more than a little pissed of when I when mmmmm, thats lovely can I have some more!

Still tho, he saw the funny side eventually :)
    Lol, you should have just sworn some more.

Advertisement