Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishments as a kid of the 60's,70's and 80's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

An Irish favourite, the Wooden Spoon. Generally used for scaring, instead of actually being used for hitting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Got a very occasional slap on the leg which never bothered me but once I misbehaved so badly I made my mother cry. The guilt of having done that kept me in line for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sclosages wrote: »
    I was beaten up and down the room. Beaten again for whinging for no reason, during said beating. Beaten again for saying where the bruises came from in the Saturday bath. My mother was fierce fond of the fist, stick, poker, swat, hairbrushes, clothes brushes, sweeping brushes etc.
    I don't recall ever having done anything wrong.
    Oh, and another thing, she'd take my books off me.
    And make me polish the trophies and ornaments in the sitting room. Polish the brass on the letter box and door knob. Weed the vegetable garden, carry in turf, rear turf, pick stones from the ground and on and on I could go.
    Then there was the what we now call 'emotional and verbal abuse'. Told I was ugly etc. etc.
    Lovely stuff altogether.

Learned from the nuns during her own childhood no doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Learned from the nuns during her own childhood no doubt.

Nope, reared by her own mother who would have been quite placid. In her old age anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Racyjase

The two kids next door where I lived used to get hammered with the belt by their dad. I witnessed it on many occasions, the dad pulling of his belt and walloping them with it. Didn't do either of them any good as neither of them have ever held down a job for very long and both have done stretches in the joy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Born in 89

The wooden spoon was a classic, mam used to hit us with it until I remember one day at about 9 she hit me with it and it didnt hurt anymore, so the threat of that was gone.

General smacks also for mis behaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

70s/80s.

Kept in line with this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eYRfRj7Soy4/UKS-EmErahI/AAAAAAAABPc/Qgx8eig5zWg/s1600/drscholls.jpg

Equally deadly in close hand-to-hand punishment combat or as an airborne weapon to quickly disable a fleeing target.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

My ma used to chase us around the house with anything she could get her hands on. When we got fast enough to escape we used to taunt her!
    My Da wasn't allowed hit us - his hands were too big according to my weapon wielding mother.

Still though, I'd take a thrashing with a fish slice any day over the 30 minute long lecture from my Da and having to explain why I did what I did. And why it was wrong, and who I had upset, and then apologise to everyone involved.

Candie wrote: »

'I'm not angry. I'm just...disappointed'.

Absolutely crushing, devastatingly effective.

To be fair, I would have abused that no end. :o

thejaguar wrote: »
    My Da wasn't allowed hit us - his hands were too big according to my weapon wielding mother.

It's amazing just how much physical punishment was delegated to mothers when I was a kid. I feared my ma far more than my da.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

You knew it was going to hit the fan when the words " wait til your father gets home " were uttered !!
    That sentence usually quietened us down !!
    The when the auld rust bucket of a Reno 5 rattled into the driveway we fell silent knowing the belt was a comin' !!
    Ah the good auld days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sent to bed with no supper.

The fact my mother was an awful cook softened the blow

The things our parents got away with! These days if you look crooked at a kid you get into serious hot water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

Holy fück. Were all Irish parents violent abusive arsèholes? Can't believe what I am reading here. Your parents should have been imprisoned in some cases, and in others at the very least child services should have been involved. Can't honestly believe this cràp went on.

I'm in my late 40s and know personally of nobody in the UK that suffered such systematic abuse at the hand of their parents, in particular their mother.

I feel genuinely sorry for you all. Wooden spoons? Belts? Appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Worst that ever happened to us was being shouted at and told we were worse than the bulubas, or that we would put her in a mental home with our carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭jiminho

I was raised by my aunt and uncle. The first few years of my life was a horrible existence. I was ignored and treated like a slave, and my cousin resented me. They even lied to me about how my parents died to keep me oblivious of the truth. I was saved when I turned 11 and even tho my life has had its ups and downs, I can honestly say I'm a lot happier.

Thanks Hagrid

Holy fück. Were all Irish parents violent abusive arsèholes? Can't believe what I am reading here. Your parents should have been imprisoned in some cases, and in others at the very least child services should have been involved. Can't honestly believe this cràp went on.

I'm in my late 40s and know personally of nobody in the UK that suffered such systematic abuse at the hand of their parents, in particular their mother.

Ah now I don't think it was all that bad. I wouldn't refer to it as "systematic abuse". People thought nothing of it back then. It was a different time. Thank God things have changed for the better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I used to get the shíte knocked out of me in the 70's, didn't stop me from doing anything, I was still a little Bollocks. The Bollocksology was only knocked out of me when I had my own Kids and realised how hard a job it was.

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Racyjase wrote: »
    Ah now I don't think it was all that bad. I wouldn't refer to it as "systematic abuse". People thought nothing of it back then. It was a different time. Thank God things have changed for the better

I thought about it a lot! Used to wish I was adopted. Still have the same wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ya, got the works, the wooden spoon at home and the old gowl of a teacher at school.

Now I just take my supressed anger and resentment out on society. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Actually just thought of a funny time myself and the Brother were fighting over a game of Darts, there is a year between us and we used to fight over anything, We were bigger than my Ma, being a small petite woman and realising that baiting us was of no benefit, she went out the back yard and returned with a hatchet, and proceeded to chop up the Dart board into little pieces. Then turned around in a rage and said you's are next if yiz don't stop.

She gained our respect after that.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Born in 88.

Smacks around the head, back, arms were common, from both parents.
    I dont really remember weapons being used very often but i remember once being beaten with a shoe by my mother!

The beatings werent as bad as the shouting from my father though. Hasnt worked a proper days work in the 26 years i know him and spends every night drinking. Cue the hangovers every morning and the verbal abuse at the dinner table for waking him up, at 12.00 in the afternoon! I hate him but thats for another thread.

Back to the beatings...we probably deserved it, my siblings and I, abd theres no hard feelings between our ourselves and our mother. She actually feels bad about it all these years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

But it did happen in the UK, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

I was about eight and my brother 12 but my Mam lost it with him one day and smashed his guitar on his head. She must have hit him a few times as it ended up in pieces. Scary times...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭circadian

I had a boot thrown at me while I was making a hasty getaway from me angry da.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Being threatened with being sold to the t1nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Tbh as an 80s child I got more slaps and beatings from the teachers in primary school. I reckon one or two of them were sadists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Battered with fists, sticks, belt, wooden spoon by my dad.
    Hair pulled and pinched by my mother.

Could be for anything but the best ones were when you were beaten again for not knowing why you were beaten in the first place. And alas not uncommon as you'd never really know what slight my mother would dream up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We'd get a slap on the backside or the back of the legs once in a blue moon and only if we had well and truly pushed it too far. We'd only have ourselves to blame as we always got umpteen warnings. I was born in '73 and none of my friends was beaten or abused by parents, that I know of. The most upsetting thing would have been seeing the look of disappointment on my parents faces.

Another poster mentioned getting hit in school by teachers. When I was about 7 a nun slapped both sets of my knuckles with the edge of a ruler, to this day I don't know why, anyway, the next day my mother went to the school and threatened the bitch. I didn't know about the threat until decades later when she told me about it after a few drinks, it seems my mother told her and the headmaster that she'd rip the face off her if she touched me again. I was shocked as my mother is absolutely lovely and the last person in the world who would ever threaten or assault someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

During the early '70's, after moving to North London a few years before, the English families were just as bad as the Irish for beating their kids, the west indian & greek families were the worst though.

The teachers used to give us the cane & slipper on a daily basis or a sly beating out of site of others, bullies used to get severe beatings in that manner & they had no comeback afterwards. :eek: Suppose the bullies sometimes deserved it as I often saw their antics. :(

Most locals would give you a dig for messing about & the local cops, would beat hell out of you just for annoying old ladies. A local beat officer from Dublin was the worst for that, until we found out he was having an affair with a prison officer & we threatened to tell his missus! :pac:

Still, my old Dad never hit me at all after I was 8 or so & the stepmother would have but she couldn't catch me, yes I was a little sod to say the least! :p

Never hit my kids after age six or so, but used to give them a slap with the palm for messing about with fire or anything dangerous, the other half was much worse than that with them, but she & her brothers used to get the belt from their Welsh parents :mad:

Advertisement