Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your very first mobile phone?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

A nokia ringo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Had one of these in the mid-late 80s.

Analogue system (088)
    No sim card.
    No text service.
    No caller ID.
    No memory storage.
    Charged for Receiving calls.
    Practically no screen.
    Handy if you lost your hammer.

PRODPIC-216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Had one of these in the mid-late 80s.

Analogue system (088)
    No sim card.
    No text service.
    No caller ID.
    No memory storage.
    Charged for Receiving calls.
    Practically no screen.
    Handy if you lost your hammer.

PRODPIC-216.jpg

That's so large. You could use it as a doorstop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Caliden wrote: »
    3310? fancy ****er.

Mine was the 5110, check out that beast!!

Nokia_5110.jpg

Had the same one battery life lasted days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

JillyQ wrote: »
    Had the same one battery life lasted days.

Great days, when going away for the weekend you wouldn't bother bringing the charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What was your very first mobile phone?

Back in 1996 and it was the Nokia 1610. Only been charged once since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That's so large. You could use it as a doorstop!

If I remember correctly it was about 10" high, not including its aerial, which was about 4" long. Later versions came with a shorter aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Nokia 3310.

You could throw it off a 35-story building, set fire to it, run over it with a tank and still be able to use it to ring Mammy (and play snake).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Had a transportable first. Can't remember the make but it was Japanese.
    This was about the size of a laptop and 2x as thick.
    Thought I was the **** with a Motorola flipphone in grey, two batteries with it Thick and thin, very durable phone, I dropped it on to a deck of a boat, the battery separated and fell into the boat, the phone fell into the sea and floated long enough for me to retrieve it.
    I rinsed it in fresh water and after a day in the hot press it worked fine.
    Tried a Dynatac but the thing was just too awkward after the flip phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr ratbag

i had a mobira talkman, cost 3600 punts on a five year lease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Nokia 3210, shortly followed by the 9210i communicator. It was a bit of a brick but came with a colour screen, qwerty keyboard and access to the proper web when most other phones had just wap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Great days, when going away for the weekend you wouldn't bother bringing the charger.

charge it about twice week. I was constantly forgetting the pin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Motorola analogue phone with pull up Ariel on Eircell 088! 80p peak 20p off peak!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Mr ratbag wrote: »
    i had a mobira talkman, cost 3600 punts on a five year lease

Wow, and I thought iPhones were too expensive :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Alcatel OT max in 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Nokia 5110. Remember we used to use it to throw around if we didn't have a football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

3330. There was some game on it I loved, think it was pinball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

When I was 13 or 14 I used to make a good bit of cash putting vibration motors into 3210s so people could use them in school. I remember flashing some firmware on them that enabled the vibration feature.

Also, does anyone remember using free message centre numbers to get free text? Them were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I actually had to google this to check but it turns out my first was a motorola m8333. I totally thought I was the **** when I got that in junior cert. Too bad I didn't have many friends to ring or text since that was literally all it did. I used to just spend hours playing with the not very numerous ringtones.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_m3888-65.php

My second phone was an Ericsson T10 that had a tiny tiny screen and tiny tiny buttons, both of which made it really hard to text with. I remember I sent away to esat digifone for it, having previously been with eircell. For some reason I seem to remember it being really cheap but I could be way wrong.

http://www.gsmarena.com/ericsson_t10s-115.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

DubDani wrote: »
    A Alcatel One Touch Easy in Blue. God what a piece of rubbish it was, but said that it was very sturdy. :D

http://handysammlung.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/alcatel-one-touch-easy-hd1.html

This, in bright yellow. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

nc19 wrote: »
    A motorola 088 ready to go back in '98

Me too! God it was awful! The signal was brutal. I remember some of friends talking about these new mobile phones that could "text" and all I was thinking was "sure that'll never take off. Why would you spend ages typing a message to someone when you could just ring them instead?" :)

My next phone was a Siemens C35. Got it on Christmas Day as a present from my parents and it was stolen on New Year's Eve :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Ericsson%20T10s%20(3).jpg

Ericsson T10.

Great phone with 2 lines of text on the display. Barely had txting though.

My first phone too. I felt like a fúcking king flipping it open.. Other than the flippy part it was an utter piece of shít though...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

NEC P8. Analogue. 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Tango One

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    1st phone was a Sony CM-R11 in about 1995, followed quickly by a Nokia 1610.

The Sony was very "cool" for it's time , very Star-trek with the flip down mic , but the battery was shocking...It only last a few hours, and if I actually answered a phone on it the battery would die almost immediately

Had Nokia (like most people) for years after that - 1610 , 1611 , 6110 , 6110i , e50 , e51 , e61 before making the jump to Android phone.. Nexus 5 right now.
    I think that's the one my Dad had it was really cool but the mic arm broke pretty easy.

My first was a hand me down Philips Fizz
    http://altehandys.de/images/phi-fizz-312-4p-blau-1.jpg

Advertisement