Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your very first mobile phone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mitsubishi Trium

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Phillips something or other. Brick of a phone, credit card-sized SIM card in the back. Think it was only 1 line of text so you would scroll to the right as you progressed writing a message.

Then came the Siemens C35, sexiest phone around in its day, remember the ad showing a lady's hand holding it between 2 fingers to show how small it was.

Ah here it is:

http://mobile.cdn.softpedia.com/phone-pics/Siemens-C35-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

theteal wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Trium

Had one of these too, amazing phone! Had better functionality than all the mainstream nokia's. Trium was a hipsters phone. The first Nokia I owned is actually the Lumia 800! Never got the old 3210's like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

theteal wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Trium

Also had this phone. I remember it came with those Ready to go black one strap shoulder bags. Loved that bag ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

A motorola 088 ready to go back in '98

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭blue note

A panasonic GD30. I remember I could store 12 text messages on it. I was delighted to get it. I suppose it was around '98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

A Alcatel One Touch Easy in Blue. God what a piece of rubbish it was, but said that it was very sturdy. :D

http://handysammlung.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/alcatel-one-touch-easy-hd1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Siemens A55.

http://www.gsmarena.com/siemens_a55-394.php

Got it for my 12th birthday in 2003. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

My first phone was this brick....
    10479669593.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine was an analogue NMT (i.e. pre-GSM era) Philips phone. I was the coolest kid on the block back then (early 1990's) !!

There's one for sale here on eBay, at that price I wish I'd kept it now!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-PRW-9540-NMT-VINTAGE-BRICK-CELL-MOBILE-PHONE-RARE-RETRO-COLLECTABLE-/371153991113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566a8075c9

It was a stupid design as the battery was mounted on the side and only took a slight push from below to detach, so if you had it hooked to your belt (as was the thing to do in those days, to show it off!!) the battery kept falling off at the slightest excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

A blue ericsson T10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

jacksie66 wrote: »
    That looks like a play phone a child would get out of a lucky dip bag..

That made me smile, but they were very popular in Europe at that time. And much cheaper then Nokias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Amalgam wrote: »
    A Philips Savvy. Nothing quite like going around to work colleagues and playing them, proudly, without a hint of post x anything/irony, the Old McDonald Had A Farm ringtone.. :o
    Me too got it from Bank of Ireland after opening a student account. I remember the excitement friend used to get when there was an issue with the network an calls were being charged. Back then you would check your balance after every call. Do people still do that. Have been on bill so long now, I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Motorola 650 ?? A big heavy brick :-) got it about 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

davo2001 wrote: »
    A blue ericsson T10

I was really flash, I had a T18! My dad then had it for years, until the screen failed on it.

I envy this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

1995 i got a Maxon, I still have it in a box in the Attic, The battery is bigger than my current phone :D

http://www.cntr.salford.ac.uk/comms/resources/artefacts/mobile_phones/ETACS/Maxon_EPC590E.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Nokia 3110 - probably still running on its first charge somewhere.

Seriously though my work phone went belly up and I needed something to replace it that day and all they had is a crappy Nokia 208, Man I love this phone 1 charge a week job done. I have my smart phone for all my personal stuff but for work all I really need is a good old Telephone and its perfect

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

3510i, used it for 10 years! Colour screen baby :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Mine was a Siemens c10. Not a bad oul phone for the time I guess, but if i remember correctly the buttons made a fairly loud (hardware) clicking noise.

I have a basic smartphone with a nice big screen and all kinds of fabulous stuff on board but I prefer my prehistoric Nokia.

It lasts forever on a charge, is small enough to stick in a pocket and robust enough to survive me sitting on it. Nobody would want to steal it and if I lost it it doesn't mean every detail of my life is in the hands of a strange thief. I can text and call and it has a flashlight. I'm not greedy, that's enough for me 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Nokia 3210.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Siemens C10 with Eircell Ready To Go. I loved it. I got it for Christmas in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Candie wrote: »
    I have a basic smartphone with a nice big screen and all kinds of fabulous stuff on board but I prefer my prehistoric Nokia.

It lasts forever on a charge, is small enough to stick in a pocket and robust enough to survive me sitting on it. Nobody would want to steal it and if I lost it it doesn't mean every detail of my life is in the hands of a strange thief. I can text and call and it has a flashlight. I'm not greedy, that's enough for me 99% of the time.

I reckon some of the old phones were better manufactured (i.e to last) than some of the newer ''smartphones'' on the market today. Beforehand a phone would last you 2-3 years. It's rarer with newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Nokia_5110.jpg

this guy, when i was 17. ahhhhh the memories. simpler times with no internet/facebook/twitter and battery lasted 3 days

I reckon some of the old phones were better manufactured (i.e to last) than some of the newer ''smartphones'' on the market today. Beforehand a phone would last you 2-3 years. It's rarer with newer models.

My old Nokia is 6+ years old, possibly 8. It was my dads before he gave it to me and the battery doesn't seem to have lost any capacity at all in those years.

The smartphone needs charging every 48hs minimum, and I usually charge it nightly to cover myself. I need it for work, have had it less than a year, and the battery seems to be losing capacity already.

I can't imagine spending $550 on a phone that would only last me two or three years, but I know it's more important to some people to have the latest models.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

This:

http://omg.wthax.org/5ZjDHf.jpg

Alcatel One Touch Easy db. Two lines of text and 4 ringtones if I remember correctly. I loved that phone, still do, it was so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Mine was a Motorola d520..Some beast of a phone...Remember giving it to my sister as i got a nokia 3210 and she sold it on then...Still upset its gone!

Advertisement