Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrissey being treated for cancer :(

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Loved him in men behaving badly. I wish him a speedy recovery.

That's a different Morrissey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I'm hoping it is something skin related and treatable. He was in fine form at the gig in Lisbon on Monday by all accounts..

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/2122-Lisbon-Coliseum-(Oct-6-2014)-post-show?#comments

And yes, that is 10 *pages* of comments about one gig - Moz fans tend to be a tad obbsessive :)

Looking forward to seeing him in Dublin, he has consistenly been my gig of the year when he has toured over the last few years. Current tour setlist has a lot of the current album in it which I'm not mad on but some Smiths and Moz classics in there as well - Queen is Dead/Hand In Glove/Trouble Loves Me/Asleep/First of the Gang - can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

From Tori Amos:
    "I'm coming out of a tv show, right, it's forever ago, and he's walking past me, this little short guy, and I'm walking past and I have heels on, so I can say that. And I look back and I just said, 'Hey man, you've written great songs.'
    He said, 'What the **** do you know?"

Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Smiths stuff was good but since then he's been nothing but a whingebag. Plus anyone who says something like "“I see no difference between eating animals and paedophilia [sic],” he replied. “They are both rape, violence, murder.” gets no sympathy from me. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/01/06/morrissey-compares-eating-meat-to-pedophilia-calls-it-rape-violence-murder/?intcmp=features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I really hope he makes a full recovery. Can't say I agree with everything he says (although I do think he just says controversial things for the laugh and because he knows that people will get their knickers in a twist, think the guy is very aware of how media and celebrity works in that regard), but he has a brilliant voice and has written some wonderful songs. Truly a living legend and an iconic pop culture figure, on this side of the Atlantic at least. He's one of a kind. Don't really know what he's done to deserve being called a "c*nt" or to have the worst wished on him. It's not like he's a mass murderer or something. He sings a few songs, a lot of them very good songs, and has brought quite a bit of joy to people over the years. Hope he makes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    I really hope he makes a full recovery. Can't say I agree with everything he says (although I do think he just says controversial things for the laugh and because he knows that people will get their knickers in a twist, think the guy is very aware of how media and celebrity works in that regard), but he has a brilliant voice and has written some wonderful songs. Truly a living legend and an iconic pop culture figure, on this side of the Atlantic at least. He's one of a kind. Don't really know what he's done to deserve being called a "c*nt" or to have the worst wished on him. It's not like he's a mass murderer or something. He sings a few songs, a lot of them very good songs, and has brought quite a bit of joy to people over the years. Hope he makes it.

Oh, he's huge on the other side of the Atlantic including, bizarrely, a sizeable, fanatical Hispanic following.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Himself are Cocker are it for me as lyricists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Funny how a thread so concerned with moralizing about Morrissey's cunty comments is itself stuffed with cunty comments about somebody with cancer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

anncoates wrote: »
    Funny how a thread so concerned with moralizing about Morrissey's cunty comments is itself stuffed with cunty comments about somebody with cancer.

That's not funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

His lyrics are nothing with Marr's music, I hope he recovers but I find his polemical outbursts to reveal a somewhat bitter and unpleasant personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Reoil wrote: »
    From Tori Amos:
    "I'm coming out of a tv show, right, it's forever ago, and he's walking past me, this little short guy, and I'm walking past and I have heels on, so I can say that. And I look back and I just said, 'Hey man, you've written great songs.'
    He said, 'What the **** do you know?"

Twat.

She's full of sh!t because Morrissey is far from short at just under 6 feet tall ;)

I am pie wrote: »
    His lyrics are nothing with Marr's music, I hope he recovers but I find his polemical outbursts to reveal a somewhat bitter and unpleasant personality.

Did you mean to say his lyrics are nothing without Marr's music? I agree together they were epic a duo of its kind never to be repeated. But alone his lyrics are exceptional. I reckon his writing is quite similar to the melancholic poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

lukesmom wrote: »
    Did you mean to say his lyrics are nothing without Marr's music? I agree together they were epic a duo of its kind never to be repeated. But alone his lyrics are exceptional. I reckon his writing is quite similar to the melancholic poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins

When you see the two of them live by themselves you see just how well they complement each other.

Marr on his own you get the amazing sound of the smiths without the voice. Morrissey on his own you get the voice team them together......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Yes, I did mean that.

I don't subscribe to the view that he is a poet, he is an interesting rock lyricist. There is a good interview with David Bowie, an altogether more interesting and humble man, where he is asked would he write poetry. He said that he had tried but he always found himself tapping a beat along to it. He realised he is a lyricist and not a poet, you can be an excellent lyricist without laying claim to be a poet which is another art altogether. None of Morrissey's rock lyrics stand up to the same scrutiny as would be applied to poetry.

I believe he sullied his legacy with unpleasant nationalism and insensitive polemic about vegetarianism. If not for the Smiths he would not have the profile he has now and for that he has Marr and indeed the drummer and bass player to thank.

Disappeared into his own ego years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Marr made Morrissey and Morrissey made Marr.

We'll never see a duo as original as these two. There are so many bands from the smiths onwards who actively and openly comment how they replicated themselves on the smiths.

I guess the fairy tale surrounding Morrissey is that if there was ever a person who was destined to never be famous it was him.

Opinions aside,genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I am pie wrote: »
    Yes, I did mean that.

I don't subscribe to the view that he is a poet, he is an interesting rock lyricist. There is a good interview with David Bowie, an altogether more interesting and humble man, where he is asked would he write poetry. He said that he had tried but he always found himself tapping a beat along to it. He realised he is a lyricist and not a poet, you can be an excellent lyricist without laying claim to be a poet which is another art altogether. None of Morrissey's rock lyrics stand up to the same scrutiny as would be applied to poetry.

I believe he sullied his legacy with unpleasant nationalism and insensitive polemic about vegetarianism. If not for the Smiths he would not have the profile he has now and for that he has Marr and indeed the drummer and bass player to thank.

Disappeared into his own ego years ago.

There's a club if you'd like to go,
    You could meet somebody who really loves you,
    So you go and you dance on your own,
    And you leave on your own,
    And you go home,
    And you cry and you want to die.

The other end of the spectrum:

I want to live and I want to love,
    I want to catch something that I should be ashamed of.

Every song is quotable. Poetry, lyrics, whatever. He's a hell of a wordSmith.

Smith-geddit???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Did you mean to say his lyrics are nothing without Marr's music? I agree together they were epic a duo of its kind never to be repeated.

Everyone forgets the boys at the back but without bass and drums the Smiths sound would be thin and incomplete. Rourke especially was crucial to the Smiths sound, take the bass out of many Smiths songs and they would be lacking in drive, colour and depth. Morrissey in his egomania conveniently ignored this when he tried to rip off the others for royalties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,147 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn't share many of his more controversial opinions of recent years but at least he stands up for what he believes in and unlike all the rest of the insipid boring ****bags that make up the music industry he has always walked to the beat of his own drum and been true to those views.

If the article is just a poor translation as many are now claiming then that's a relief, if not then I just wish the guy a speedy recovery. Genius, flawed, maverick, human... Get well Morrissey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Countless Morrissey lyrics seem fitting at the moment. :o

• Advertisement

A dreaded sunny day
    So I meet you at the cemetry gates
    Keats and Yeats are on your side
    A dreaded sunny day
    So I meet you at the cemetry gates
    Keats and Yeats are on your side
    While Wilde is on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

He should have ate meat

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Everyone forgets the boys at the back but without bass and drums the Smiths sound would be thin and incomplete. Rourke especially was crucial to the Smiths sound, take the bass out of many Smiths songs and they would be lacking in drive, colour and depth. Morrissey in his egomania conveniently ignored this when he tried to rip off the others for royalties.

Rourke was absolutely crucial to the Smiths sound - his basslines sometimes surpass the guitar work and was often made the focal point of the songs (Rusholme Ruffians, Death of a Disco Dancer etc). But anyone could have sat in Joyce's seat and done just what he did. He did a great job, but I would never think he was irreplaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,147 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rourke was absolutely crucial to the Smiths sound - his basslines sometimes surpass the guitar work and was often made the focal point of the songs (Rusholme Ruffians, Death of a Disco Dancer etc). But anyone could have sat in Joyce's seat and done just what he did. He did a great job, but I would never think he was irreplaceable.

Morrissey and Marr just had that Strummer/Jones...Jagger/Richards thing going on... One without the other and it just wouldn't have been the same at all...

As regards Rourke and Joyce... Both were unbelievable musicians and their playing had total understanding of the songs and vision of their writers. To be honest I couldn't have imagined The Smiths and their songs without them playing on them. Listen to The Queen is Dead and it's the perfect document of what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Strumms wrote: »
    Morrissey and Marr just had that Strummer/Jones...Jagger/Richards thing going on... One without the other and it just wouldn't have been the same at all...

As regards Rourke and Joyce... Both were unbelievable musicians and their playing had total understanding of the songs and vision of their writers. To be honest I couldn't have imagined The Smiths and their songs without them playing on them. Listen to The Queen is Dead and it's the perfect document of what I'm talking about.

The Queen is Dead track itself is one of few moments that I believe Joyce gave them something unique - the original recording of the intro was a loop of him playing the drum part once; as far as I know Marr was very impressed Joyce managed to play it live himself. Though, you're right, it's his understanding of the music that makes him fit right in. He's not exactly Ringo Starr, but just like Starr he gave the music what it needed and nothing more. Whatever can be said about Joyce, he was in no way masturbatory with his drumming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I found his autobiography hilarious. He is very very witty not as miserable as he makes out.

Really? I don't disagree he has a certain wit about it but I really struggled through a lot of it.

Dividing a 4-500 page book into chapters or even paragraphs would have been nice.

A very hot and cold book. Some parts were almost poetic in the way they were written and others were just mad rambling rants.

For someone who I'd consider to be one of the finest lyricists of the last few decades, the overall standard of writing was poor I thought.

Anyway, this is not a book review so get well soon, Mozza.

Advertisement