Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a Jehovah's Witnesses every converted someone on the doorstep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Yes indeed he is, I don't know why Jehovah witnesses don't publicize this fact to convert the non-believers. Probably because he doesn't allow them to use his image.

Michael Jackson and all his family. Shimoan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Selling religion is like selling any other product. There's a mathematical formula to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

When ones calla to the door I usually ask them would they change to Catholic Church, I always get "no but...." that's where I cut in and say... I dont try to change your religion so please don't change mine.
    Similarly when a religious person comes to the door telling me to "give to others" etc... and holds out their hand for money I say " that's a nice coat.... I don't have a coat, I can't afford it".
    It's funny how quick they turn and leave!

Mwahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

They didn't convert me, but they do make me think a lot more highly of their religion.

There are a lot of religions/religious people that *honestly believe* I'm going to spend eternity in hell (or something similar) because I don't know about the word of some religious dead guy. If I *knew* my co-worker pal was going to miss out on free Ice Cream at lunch, I'd tell him. So, if I *know* he's going to hell, unless he knows about the rules of some god - what kind of horrible person would I be, to not do everything I could to convince him?

I think it's a complete cop-out to say, 'Oh well, *I* believe in God and heaven and hell, but if you don't - that's cool'. Yeah, you're 'cool' with letting your fellow man miss out on heaven because you don't want to take the time to talk about it....that's like a parent letting their kids do cocaine because they don't want to be 'uncool'.

Worse, I've seen plenty of religion-based charities asking me for my money. They aren't even trying to convert me, and save me from damnation - they just want some money.

The Mormons, while I don't agree with them, they at least act in accordance with their beliefs. They believe I need to know about their God, and they believe it strongly enough, and they care enough about me, to come to my door. They don't ask for money. They try to *give* me stuff (books usually). They also offer to help out with anything. I'm not kidding, I was hanging drywall when two guys knocked on my door, I told them I was busy, and they offered to help. And I said, 'Sure'.

They stayed for 20 minutes, and really did help me out. And yeah, they did talk to me about their church and stuff, and no, I didn't go. But those Mormon's did more for me in the name of religion than ANYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. They didn't ask for anything, they know people are going to yell at them, but they genuinely want help, so they go out and do thankless work because they believe it is right.

I really can't fault them for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

There was a load of them in Phibsborough 20 years ago. Converted 4-5 where I worked. I heard they say women cant go to heaven if they are not married so the incidence of women proposing is a lot higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

There are Jehovah's in my area who tried to convert a very dysfunctional family.

They gave up hope after one of the family stole 60 pounds from the handbag of the lead Jehovah's wife.

Another family member made a pass at the same guy's son (apparently tried to rape him).

Bad people. They would corrupt satin himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Remember hearing about a young lad calling to an old neighbours house collecting for, I'm told, the J.W.'s.
    "Who are you collecting for?" asked the old man.
    "I'm collecting for tbe Lord" says the young lad.
    "Good lad, and what age are you?" the old man asks
    "I'm 18" he says
    "Well I'm 75" says the old man "I'll probably see Him before you and I'll give it to Him myself":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They normally scatter when the conversation gets to the bedroom department.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

UCDVet wrote: »
    They didn't convert me, but they do make me think a lot more highly of their religion.

There are a lot of religions/religious people that *honestly believe* I'm going to spend eternity in hell (or something similar) because I don't know about the word of some religious dead guy. If I *knew* my co-worker pal was going to miss out on free Ice Cream at lunch, I'd tell him. So, if I *know* he's going to hell, unless he knows about the rules of some god - what kind of horrible person would I be, to not do everything I could to convince him?

I think it's a complete cop-out to say, 'Oh well, *I* believe in God and heaven and hell, but if you don't - that's cool'. Yeah, you're 'cool' with letting your fellow man miss out on heaven because you don't want to take the time to talk about it....that's like a parent letting their kids do cocaine because they don't want to be 'uncool'.

Worse, I've seen plenty of religion-based charities asking me for my money. They aren't even trying to convert me, and save me from damnation - they just want some money.

The Mormons, while I don't agree with them, they at least act in accordance with their beliefs. They believe I need to know about their God, and they believe it strongly enough, and they care enough about me, to come to my door. They don't ask for money. They try to *give* me stuff (books usually). They also offer to help out with anything. I'm not kidding, I was hanging drywall when two guys knocked on my door, I told them I was busy, and they offered to help. And I said, 'Sure'.

They stayed for 20 minutes, and really did help me out. And yeah, they did talk to me about their church and stuff, and no, I didn't go. But those Mormon's did more for me in the name of religion than ANYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. They didn't ask for anything, they know people are going to yell at them, but they genuinely want help, so they go out and do thankless work because they believe it is right.

I really can't fault them for that.

Did you honestly just confuse Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons I can't tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

how does it work with the blood thing once you convert. if you've had a transfusion before how do they reconcile that with the crazy no blood rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Berserker wrote: »
    Not that I know of.

Joseph Smith, who founded the Mormons was murdered in cold blood.

Not sure about your wording there chap, he was no innocent... They had been involved in countless battles and land grabs against local populations. Didnt win many friends and it came back to bite JS in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Anyone hear about the gay JW calling to people in the Wicklow area?

They are knocking on people's back doors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Hear about the JW xmas 2014 advent calendar?

Behind every door it says Fcuk off !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Used to be a Witness back when I was a kid. Not by choice but my parents converted when I was about 5. I stopped attending meetings when I was starting secondary school.

As kids, we never had any birthdays, Christmases, Halloweens or Easters. But having said that, never really knew any different. Plus we never were deprived of toys or anything, I was first on my road to have a PlayStation! The thing about the manners is definitely true. Jehovah's witnesses are by and large very friendly and mannerly people, you can notice it with the children especially. You wouldn't hear them cursing or anything.

The religion is one of Christianity and is none too different from other ones bar small difference such as not believing in the Holy Trinity ie God and Jesus are seperate entities. Also I always remember not being allowed to eat black pudding because it's made with blood as an ingredient. Also, they believe that a special select few only get to Heaven (144,000) whereas the rest of the good people will be resurrected on a cleansed Paradise here on Earth.

As I said, I've no affiliation to any religion and am far from learned on any in-depth but if anyone has any questions from the point of an 11 year old young lad, I'll do my best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

J Mysterio wrote: »
    he was no innocent... They had been involved in countless battles and land grabs against local populations. Didnt win many friends and it came back to bite JS in the ass.

Quite probable that you are correct. I was just commenting that he was murdered when he was running for the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

When I was at Uni, there was a guy in his 50s who stood out because he was so much older than every other student. He seemed Okay until he admitted that he threw his son out when he was a teenager for smoking pot and therefore not abiding by 'the truth'. Later his son was found dead in a drug addicts hostel. He claimed, with some pride, that he had no regrets as he was following 'the truth'.

He was also a landlord and made all his tenants agree to live by JW morality standards.

I actually went to a few JW meetings out of curiosity. There was a lot of brainwashing going on. A mic was passed around and members testified how great their beliefs were why they should avoid anything was would sway them. I could see how their system would suck people in. They created friendships and used the threat of shunning as a means to keep people believing without question.

Like a lot of religions that demand a lot of their followers, most of them are fine. But some members take their beliefs to extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've always wanted to know why this Jehovah guy needed witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

foggy_lad wrote: »
    isn't the founder a convicted murderer? or is that the Mormons founder?

The Mormons founder was a convicted conman, and when he was killed, he was waiting trial for conspiracy to commit murder and treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Because his name comes from a mistranslation so he needs people to vouch for who he actually is.

He's not Jehovah, he's a very naughty boy...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Omackeral wrote: »
    As I said, I've no affiliation to any religion and am far from learned on any in-depth but if anyone has any questions from the point of an 11 year old young lad, I'll do my best!

Your only 11 ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Because someone had to make sure that that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

whupdedo wrote: »
    Your only 11 ? :eek:

If you read the first line of the post you'd see that I left the religion before starting secondary school so that's why I said that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Knasher wrote: »
    The Mormons founder was a convicted conman, and when he was killed, he was waiting trial for conspiracy to commit murder and treason.
    I seem to remember seeing a documentary years ago on TV where it said that Joseph Smith and his followers were run out of New York state by other religious groups. They moved to Tennessee (I think) and there they gained a few new followers. One of these was a young girl that Joe took a fancy to. Being married, he got around this problem by getting a second visit from the angel Moroni who told him that it was OK to have multiple wives. Wife number one wasn't happy but Joe said it was God's will.
    This was the basis of the policy of polygamy practised by Mormons until the 1930s or 1940s when federal law prohibited polygamous marriages.
    Was he a conman? Absolutely.

I knew a kid in secondary school who was a Mormon. Funny guy. He was smoking weed and drinking and stuff though.

I met him a couple of years after school and he had reformed... had done his 'service' abroad and was living 'the proper Mormon life'. Still a good guy but It seemed his girlfriend and all his current friends were Mormon now though. I guess that may be partly because none of them would drink or schmoke or whatever so they were in the same boat. I'd say that would make them more dogmatic though.

I find the beliefs to be repressive and obnoxioua though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

When I was in my teens I worked in a kebab place in my small town in Donegal, for this legend of a man from Iran, Pedro was his name. One day he got two Jehovahs guys knocking on his door. He answered and pretended not to speak any English. They tried asking him what language he spoke, and he said Farsi. They went digging into their briefcase and handed him a copy of the magazines in Farsi.
    They commit to the job, you have to give them that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My boyfriend almost barfed on JW callers. He wasn't in bed long, really drunk, when there was an almighty racket at the door. He jumped out of bed completely startled, stumbled towards the window (which was over the front door) to see who it was.

The fright, sudden movement, copious amount of alcohol and fresh air made him feel queasy and he threw up out through the window.

He didn't get them with it but they never called back either

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Having some kind of community to be a part of can be pretty important and it's a hard thing to find. A bunch of welcoming individuals showing up at your doorstep of someone who feels cut off from the world could be gradually embraced after a few visits. The people they actually succeed with are probably so far out on the fringes of the community in which they live that people wouldn't even realise they've only converted recently.

I totally get why Scientology is so popular with wealthy people; if I had tons of success and money to piss away but still felt like crap, I could see myself letting them try to brainwash me into joining their cult to fill that void.

• Advertisement

The Witnesses should probably be very careful to spell out the deal in their efforts to convert, since places in heaven are limited to a total of 144,000. Converts more recent than the 1930's are condemned to existing on post-Armageddon Earth. It's not a bargain, is it?
    Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that only 144,000 people will go to heaven. God chooses these 144,000 individuals, the process began with the first century Christians and was completed in the year 1935. Of course from 1879 (the year the Watchtower started) till 1935 only faithful Jehovah’s Witnesses were chosen for this special role. All faithful Jehovah’s Witnesses not chosen to be among the 144,000 elite that go to heaven (those joining the Watchtower after 1935) will spend eternity on earth. All other people on the earth will be destroyed at war of Armageddon here on earth. This would also include any Jehovah's Witnesses who has been disfellowshipped or is otherwise unfaithful to the Watchtower and has not worked his or her way back into the good graces of the Watchtower by the time of Armageddon.

Of course they hold out the promise that more might, possibly, perhaps, get in. And you might, possibly, perhaps, be one of them. Maybe.

http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/statistics/partakers.htm

Advertisement