Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a Jehovah's Witnesses every converted someone on the doorstep

Options
  • 08-10-2014 4:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

They must be brainwashed into accepting rejection positively.
    Even the chap selling Pre-Pay Power gets the odd sucker now & again.
    Days, weeks, months must go buy without a single declaration of interest.
    That Windows guy who rings from India has a better success rate.

Must be the most fruitless pursuit ever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'd imagine so, have you ever watched Louis Therox meeting the Westboro Baptist Church?
    Some people are idiots, and others are lonely and want to feel part of something, some are both... .and brainwashed aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well at least they are not trying to charge ya for water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I live close to the JW hall in Rathgar, it's quite busy - they must have converted some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

They must be brainwashed into accepting rejection positively.
    Even the chap selling Pre-Pay Power gets the odd sucker now & again.
    Days, weeks, months must go buy without a single declaration of interest.
    That Windows guy who rings from India has a better success rate.

Must be the most fruitless pursuit ever.
    maybe they find doing the lords work fruitfull enough in itself..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I always give them my mates phone no. and tell them to ring me later when I have time. I've been doing this for about 20 years now, if he ever finds out he'll probably batter me

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Like other religions they prey on the weak and afflicted with promises of all sorts of miracles and relief for suffering but at the end of the day all they want is money and what they offer amounts to nothing more than empty promises!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The gf family are Jehovah's and they've never ever tried to convert me.they respect who I am and religion I am. They're possibly the nicest people I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They wear you down and eventually you say oh alright what the hell.

Peace be with you brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The gf family are Jehovah's and they've never ever tried to convert me.they respect who I am and religion I am. They're possibly the nicest people I've ever met.

She knows your username on boards so yeah? :p

jk

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

oceanman wrote: »
    maybe they find doing the lords work fruitfull enough in itself..

The lord would want to start delegating his decreasing flocks time more wisely & not waste their valuable time on fools errands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I can see why people join it.

Some people are so unhappy with their current life that they want to believe that when they die they can be resurrected and have a better life next time.

It's sad really and you'd get depressed thinking about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

some of my Dads family were converted and are now staunch Mormons.

Lovely people but obviously a bit feeble minded:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

There's over 7 million of them so presumably the doorstep challenge must occasionally work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Was'nt Prince one - used to call door to door with Bodyguards - or am I imagining this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

nelly17 wrote: »
    Was'nt Prince one - used to call door to door with Bodyguards - or am I imagining this?

Purple haze dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its true, I'd fucking love it if he called to my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

kneemos wrote: »
    Purple haze dude.

No Hendrix deffo not a Jehova

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I would so convert if Prince showed up at my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They're possibly the nicest people I've ever met.

They are ridiculously polite. I don't agree with them from a religious perspective but they could certainly teach people a thing or two when it comes to manners.

I remember watching a programme about them and they have a target of converting four people per year when they are on the mission (calling door to door).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Berserker wrote: »
    They are ridiculously polite. I don't agree with them from a religious perspective but they could certainly teach people a thing or two when it comes to manners.

I remember watching a programme about them and they have a target of converting four people per year when they are on the mission (calling door to door).

Dunno about the polite thing they are just like everyone else have some good and some bad ones. They called around to my moms one day and she told them she wasn't interested she went to close the door and they put their foot in the door to stop her from doing so. When my mom said she would call the guards they backed off.

I know someone who was brought up JW and she wants to leave the church but her issue is all her family are JW and if she leaves its the policy of their church to shun her and then her family will not talk to her again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Are they the same as Mormon's? Like Joe Young in Orgazmo?

KungPao wrote: »
    Are they the same as Mormon's?

No, they are not they same. Founded by different people and they have different beliefs. Moroms believe that 'New Jerusalem' will be built in the USA. JWs believe it is heavenly, as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I challenged them once and the absolute drivel they spouted back to me converted me to atheism.

So yeah, I converted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Probably make great sales people, staying positive with so much rejection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Berserker wrote: »

isn't the founder a convicted murderer? or is that the Mormons founder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

foggy_lad wrote: »

The founder of Mormonism WAS murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

When I was a coach driver in the UK I was given a job to take forty of them to a JW meeting in Bristol.

Before we left they said a prayer for the driver. About an hour later I had an accident on the road. The only accident I ever had as a coach driver in 25 years.

foggy_lad wrote: »

Not that I know of.

Joseph Smith, who founded the Mormons was murdered in cold blood. He was running for President of the USA at the time.

Charles Taze Russell is the founder of the JWs, according to google and I can't find anything about murder in his profile online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes indeed he is, I don't know why Jehovah witnesses don't publicize this fact to convert the non-believers. Probably because he doesn't allow them to use his image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I heard a radio show once where a JW was asked about success rates for the doorstep thing. He said it averages about 1 in 1,000.

Advertisement