Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Probation RTÉ 1 Monday 6th & 13th Oct 9.35pm

Options
  • 06-10-2014 9:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Over 10,000 convicted criminals out there being assessed as to whether they are safe to live among ordinary decent folk or be banged up with the tougher nuts inside.

Which of them should be given put away for their own good and which of those featured in the documentary deserve their chance to live freely with the rest of us?

Will any of our regular After Hours contributers feature in the programmes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,064 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Did I hear that right. If a violent sex offender on probation can't have accommodation found for them after been kicked out of a hostel, the council pays for them to stay at a private residence and the person renting out the room has no idea of the criminal history of the person staying? WTF!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A sex offender and violent thug has been kicked out of his place, and no hostel will take him, but the council have a room for him in a private house and they havent told the owner of the house about his crime:eek:
    Surely this cant be right and they can be held accountable if something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The guy just said the last time that happened he robbed someone with a knife!

Which is better? In a house where they know he is there or sleeping on the streets robbing people at knifepoint?

Holsten wrote: »

Which is better? In a house where they know he is there or sleeping on the streets robbing people at knifepoint?

If he still poses such a threat then he should never have been granted probation, surely?

We need more feckin prisons in this country. Simple as that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

We need 3 strikes and your out, lock up the scum for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Did I hear that right. If a violent sex offender on probation can't have accommodation found for them after been kicked out of a hostel, the council pays for them to stay at a private residence and the person renting out the room has no idea of the criminal history of the person staying? WTF!
    A sex offender and violent thug has been kicked out of his place, and no hostel will take him, but the council have a room for him in a private house and they havent told the owner of the house about his crime:eek:
    Surely this cant be right and they can be held accountable if something happens.

What happens he abuses the homeowners daughter/son?

The system is f*cked...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How about an 8 X 5 foot cell in the basement of the Joy?

Subtitles are a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

But sure building more prisons and implementating harsher sentences would go totally against the ethos that Ireland is this great charitable,christian country that believes everyone deserves a second chance.

But sure building more prisons and implementating harsher sentences would go totally against the ethos that Ireland is this great charitable,christian country that believes everyone deserves a second chance.

People do deserve a second chance, most of the time. It needs to be implemented and overseen properly though. Sending people who even prison staff and gardai know a still a threat; just to make room for the next batch, is as backwards as not giving anyone a second chance.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    How about an 8 X 5 foot cell in the basement of the Joy?
    I'd say he had that. For however many years. Sentences end you know.....

I'd say he had that. For however many years. Sentences end you know.....

Well the next time he is put up in a similar suite for noncing his own daughter, how about fitting the room out with a nice firm length of rope in advance and let him end it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I see the bleeding heart liberals are out tonight

Joes getting an early tug and a good nights sleep

The phones will be hopping tomorrow

Why is the front page of The Star blurred out. :confused:

I see the bleeding heart liberals are out tonight

Joes getting an early tug and a good nights sleep

The phones will be hopping tomorrow

Also the muppets with nothing to add but a few cheap soundbites, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Lapin wrote: »
    Well the next time he is put up in a similar suite for noncing his own daughter, how about fitting the room out with a nice firm length of rope in advance and let him end it himself.
    what a mature solution....

oceanman wrote: »
    what a mature solution....

He molested his own daughter for Christ sake.

I think its a perfect solution.

A ten foot length of rope is a lot cheaper and safer than giving the bastard a bottle of whiskey and a revolver. **** him.

The world is better off without scum like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Probation officers seem brain dead. Did they come down in the last shower?!

Now this poor ould divil Noel is deseving of the chance of probation.

All he did was nick two bottles of wine from the local Super Valu.

Banging him up with the murderers, terrorists, gangsters, rapists and other bastards wouldn't do anyone any good.

He should have got a caution.

Good doc, do not envy their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

TheZohan wrote: »

Have you ever heard of Joe Duffy?

neris wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of Joe Duffy?

Is he a probation officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Based on 3 of them shown in the programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I wonder where the free support is for the victims of all these people's crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Law14

Some comments here are unbelievable.
    The chap Noel has been in and out of prison all his life, in one sense there shouldn't be any 'poor' chap.
    Ok, the sex-offender been placed in a house (this is obviously not ideal at all) but it is still better than the alternative, and who would think that probation would put him in a house where there is children, that's just idiotic thinking. Did anyone pick up on the comment that sex-offenders actually have the lowest level of re-offending.
    Nobody knows the back-round of anyone who commits a crime, social, economic, family or backround. everyone deserves a chance as long as they are assessed and managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Law14 wrote: »
    Some comments here are unbelievable.
    The chap Noel has been in and out of prison all his life, in one sense there shouldn't be any 'poor' chap.
    Ok, the sex-offender been placed in a house (this is obviously not ideal at all) but it is still better than the alternative, and who would think that probation would put him in a house where there is children, that's just idiotic thinking. Did anyone pick up on the comment that sex-offenders actually have the lowest level of re-offending.
    Nobody knows the back-round of anyone who commits a crime, social, economic, family or backround. everyone deserves a chance as long as they are assessed and managed.

I'd expect there to be uproar over that tomorrow and rightly so, but the PO is in a lose/lose situation, the client spends the night on the street and commits another offence or something happens to them and they face the backlash.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Based on 3 of them shown in the programme?

Yup, I was referring to the ones in the programme.

Is he a probation officer?

He was.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Imagine you had to deal with criminals for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Most people would be out of the job within a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Law14

PO is on a loose loose basis, but there was obviously work done that rte didn't show, its the typical line that follows and the red-top newspapers have a field-day on.

Advertisement