Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nankang vs Starmaxx tyres

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Whoever you'd like to trust ;)

I ended up throwing out my Nankangs with 3 mm tread and they were a 2008 tyre :pac:

They may be decent at the start but be careful on roundabouts as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

CiniO wrote: »
    So now - which one is true? :D

Ns2 are the only ones I've experienced.
    be sure to report back.
    I've seen a set on an audi R8 that used to be in ballina. While that's quite shameful, if they were as bad as some people say, that car wouldn't get down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I'm sure an R8 would be able to spin any tyre anyway.

Stick 2 sets of tyres on a low power car and you'll quickly see a big difference between tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pov06 wrote: »
    I'm sure an R8 would be able to spin any tyre anyway.

Stick 2 sets of tyres on a low power car and you'll quickly see a big difference between tyres.

There is more to tyres than whether they will spin at the lights on a wet road on a yaris.
    I bought a TT that had them fitted.
    Found them quite soft compound wise and quite soft sidewall wise. They were good in the dry and about average in the wet.
    I found they wore quickly and unevenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

same size tyres as me, I got Uniroyal RainSport 3's for 88 a corner. Miles ahead of Nankang(ditch finders).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I had a pair of Nankang NSII on the front of an automatic 2.5 V6, lasted 25K miles and couldn't fault them, never had a grip issue with normal driving, motor way speeds, wet weather.... if I could have them every time I would.

I think the tyre guys sometimes don't like them because they last too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You can really tell how Shyte a tyre is if you fit it to the rear. More likely to loose grip quicker.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So a little update.
    I got the tyres fitted few weeks ago.
    Eventually I went for Nankangs (size 225/45/R17).
    They were 272 from oponeo for a set + 50 for fitting = €322
    Tread on them was 8mm, which is very good compared with Riken's I had previously which only had 6mm when new - which surely accounted for quick wear I suffered on them.

I've done just over 1000km on those Nankangs, and I must say I'm happy with them.
    On dry they provide excellent grip, but that's nothing special, as most tyres do, except from some real sh1te ones.
    On wet surface, I can not fault them. I'd say they provide at least 80% if not 90% of grip of the premium brands like Michelin or Goodyear, for half the price.
    Road noise is bit loud. Similar to what I had with Rikens, but noticable louder than on Bridgestones.
    Fuel consumption increased by about 0.5 l/100km. Now I'm not sure if this is tyres fault. Could be as well some problem with the car. I did servicing on it the same time I changed tyres, but actually doubt new oil and filters could cause increased fuel consumption. This weekend I'm changing to winter tyres, so I'll know for sure if increased fuel consumption is caused by nankang tyres or something else.

In general though, I'm rather happy with them, and considering I mostly drive on "surface dressing" type of roads, where tyres wear at crazy pace but provide very good grip compared to normally surfaced roads, those Nankangs are pretty much all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Did you have much bother with this?

I've been ringing around the last few days for a similar service and when the guy on the other end gets over the fact I don't want an Ovation tyre, he collapses again at the idea I might just want him to fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So a little update.
    I got the tyres fitted few weeks ago.
    Eventually I went for Nankangs (size 225/45/R17).
    Tread on them was 8mm, which is very good compared with Riken's I had previously which only had 6mm when new - which surely accounted for quick wear I suffered on them.

I've done just over 1000km on those Nankangs, and I must say I'm happy with them.
    On dry they provide excellent grip, but that's nothing special, as most tyres do, except from some real sh1te ones.
    On wet surface, I can not fault them. I'd say they provide at least 80% if not 90% of grip of the premium brands like Michelin or Goodyear, for half the price.
    Road noise is bit loud. Similar to what I had with Rikens, but noticable louder than on Bridgestones.
    Fuel consumption increased by about 0.5 l/100km. Now I'm not sure if this is tyres fault. Could be as well some problem with the car. I did servicing on it the same time I changed tyres, but actually doubt new oil and filters could cause increased fuel consumption. This weekend I'm changing to winter tyres, so I'll know for sure if increased fuel consumption is caused by nankang tyres or something else.

In general though, I'm rather happy with them, and considering I mostly drive on "surface dressing" type of roads, where tyres wear at crazy pace but provide very good grip compared to normally surfaced roads, those Nankangs are pretty much all I need.

Any proper test I've seen puts their wet grip way behind decent Bridgestone or continental tyres

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Any proper test I've seen puts their wet grip way behind decent Bridgestone or continental tyres

Any links?
    I'm just expressing my own feedback of those tyres.
    And just to say - I do drive fast and I'm very often on the border of skidding and sometimes over that border - so I do know what grip tyres provide.

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Did you have much bother with this?

I've been ringing around the last few days for a similar service and when the guy on the other end gets over the fact I don't want an Ovation tyre, he collapses again at the idea I might just want him to fit them.

Well I have a guy in my area which is always happy to fit set of tyres for 50 quid.
    But in general it's problematic in Ireland to have your tyres fitted at the garage if you don't buy them there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

This weekend I'm changing to winter tyres, so I'll know for sure if increased fuel consumption is caused by nankang tyres or something else.

Is there a reason for this or you living outside Ireland?

Any links?
    I'm just expressing my own feedback of those tyres.
    And just to say - I do drive fast and I'm very often on the border of skidding and sometimes over that border - so I do know what grip tyres provide.

http://www.rezulteo-tyres.ie/nankang-tyres/ns-2-ultra-sport-tyre/test-review-356714

Is there a reason for this or you living outside Ireland?

There is a reason - I live in Ireland but I'm driving over to the continent in nearest future.

Dangerously long wet braking distance say autobild

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-20-inch-Tyre-Test.htm

These are Nankank NS-2
    I have Nankang NS-20
    Different tyre.

Well I have a guy in my area which is always happy to fit set of tyres for 50 quid.
    But in general it's problematic in Ireland to have your tyres fitted at the garage if you don't buy them there.
    Anybody in the midwest?

Any tyre guy I ask seems to think it is pure madness to put on decent brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Anybody in the midwest?

Any tyre guy I ask seems to think it is pure madness to put on decent brand.

Limerick Tyre Centre in the yard across the road from the Toyota Dealer in Raheen have no problem fitting tyres I've bought online.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Limerick Tyre Centre in the yard across the road from the Toyota Dealer in Raheen have no problem fitting tyres I've bought online.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement

These are Nankank NS-2
    I have Nankang NS-20
    Different tyre.

Same thing noted here with those

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-European-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Nangkang don't do good tyres at least where wet braking distances are involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

I got these Matadors for €90 a corner fitted in the same size. Made in France and much better reviews.

Same thing noted here with those

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-European-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Nangkang don't do good tyres at least where wet braking distances are involved

Well, it's all very relative.
    I just presented my own opinion on tyres I got fitted to my car.

Tyre industry is huge business, and IMO most tests are sponsored, and results are not true.

F.e. in link you provided, Continentals got 2.9 points for wet grip, while Nankang got only 1.2. Seems like huge difference.

But in this link (btw from the same website), Nankang end up with 33.8 metres wet braking, while Continental got 31.7 metres.
    Here difference is not that big really, and considering Nankang are twice cheaper than Continentals, I find it hardly worth investing in Continentals.

Same issue with winter tyres.
    Huge marketing (especially around the continent) convincing people that winter tyres perform better below 7 degrees, so once temperatures stall falling to 7 or below, you should change to winters.

I actually did change to winter tyres today, and at 9 degrees, on wet they were absolutely disasterous. No grip at all, I was skidding like on ice.
    I know they get better at lower temperatures, but from my experience, the border temperature at which winter tyres start providing better grip than summer tyres is below 0, not 7 degrees.
    But surely if tyre industry guys told us that winter tyres are crap above 0, then they would sell much less.

All big marketing, and when choosing tyres, you just have to rely on people's opinions, not sponsored tests.

Well, it's all very relative.
    I just presented my own opinion on tyres I got fitted to my car.

Tyre industry is huge business, and IMO most tests are sponsored, and results are not true.

F.e. in link you provided, Continentals got 2.9 points for wet grip, while Nankang got only 1.2. Seems like huge difference.

But in this link (btw from the same website), Nankang end up with 33.8 metres wet braking, while Continental got 31.7 metres.
    Here difference is not that big really, and considering Nankang are twice cheaper than Continentals, I find it hardly worth investing in Continentals.

Same issue with winter tyres.
    Huge marketing (especially around the continent) convincing people that winter tyres perform better below 7 degrees, so once temperatures stall falling to 7 or below, you should change to winters.

I actually did change to winter tyres today, and at 9 degrees, on wet they were absolutely disasterous. No grip at all, I was skidding like on ice.
    I know they get better at lower temperatures, but from my experience, the border temperature at which winter tyres start providing better grip than summer tyres is below 0, not 7 degrees.
    But surely if tyre industry guys told us that winter tyres are crap above 0, then they would sell much less.

All big marketing, and when choosing tyres, you just have to rely on people's opinions, not sponsored tests.

Two metres isn't a big difference ??? Are you serious

Advertisement