Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nankang vs Starmaxx tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Cheaper Aaron's are available but I don't want asymmetric tyres. I've spoken to a few people I know who have had them and all were positive. I can't comment myself until I've fitted them

Why do you not want asymmetric?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

mickdw wrote: »

They wear on the inner edge and I want to flip them on the rim once I notice it happening to have even wear.

Can't do that with asymmetric.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Because Alfa Romeo :pac:

Because Alfa Romeo :pac:

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Do yourself a favour and spend the extra few quid on decent tyres. You will never buy cheap crap again.

Bridgestone ER300
    Bridgestone T001
    Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance

All excellent tyres. The ER300 is probably the best for wear.

I have had a set of T001s on my E Class for the last 2 years and 66k kms. Two are now just above 3mm, 2 are just below. Most of my driving is done in straight lines on good roads though.

But I'm not looking for cheap crap.
    I had Bridgestones ER300 on previous car and they were good.
    But my current Riken Maystorm 2 B2 were not much worse grip. They just last really short that's why I wouldn't buy them again.
    I thought Nankang were reasonable midrange tyres but was told that Starmaxx were better, that's why I ask here.

On second car which my wife drives mostly we have set of Hankooks Ventus Prime, and they are good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CiniO wrote: »
    What good part worn tyres are for me, if they'll be worn in few months here where I drive. I need tyres with as much tread as possible, and hard-wearing.

Because spending €40 or €50 on part worn premium tyres with 5mm or 6mm of thread might actually wear and perform better than new cheap tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I have a 231 bhp 500 SEC bought with 11 year old Chinese unistar tyres with good tread on them and the back end stepped out numerous times in the wet some intentional a few not which scary.
    Replaced with 4 new Nankangs and the car is totally planted wet and dry.
    So impressed was I with Nankang that I bought 2 for my 225bhp TT that I had Uniroyals rainsports on. Uniroyal jacked up their prices and come replacement time bought the Nankangs rated to 186mph, B or C wet grip and on driving can confirm the car felt much worse ,terrible as if driving a boat as if there was sidewall play. Adding an extra 6psi to tyre pressure to 42psi still well below the 51 max sorted it and the handling wet and dry is glued to the road.
    They have been making tyres since 1955 so Im sure they know something about it. I wouldn't touch Acceleras, triangles, federals, starmaxx or any other rubbish.

CiniO wrote: »
    But I'm not looking for cheap crap.

Then forget brands like Riken, Nankang and Starmaxx.

Cheap tyres either give good wear and poor grip or vice versa. In fact in some cases they give neither. You have had the good grip and poor wear experience with the Rikens. Learn the lesson and buy a decent brand.

They wear on the inner edge and I want to flip them on the rim once I notice it happening to have even wear.

Can't do that with asymmetric.

True enough but driving on a tyre that had been swapped around resulting in worn outer edge couldn't feel great to drive I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Then forget brands like Riken, Nankang and Starmaxx.

Cheap tyres either give good wear and poor grip or vice versa. In fact in some cases they give neither. You have had the good grip and poor wear experience with the Rikens. Learn the lesson and buy a decent brand.

Wear is the unknown but my Uniroyals lasted less than 18000 miles on the front. In fairness I use the car:D
    Nankang are a very good tyre wrt to grip wet/dry though so at half the price absolutely Id prefer them over anything else.. but opinions vary. Tyres aren't dear compared to overall motoring costs and they are the only thing in contact with the road so makes sense to buy well.

• Advertisement

True enough but driving on a tyre that had been swapped around resulting in worn outer edge couldn't feel great to drive I'd say.

I'll let you know in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

What he said.

Powerflex and getting the tracking done on the fronts sorts this. I know of a 159 that doesn't do this, but it's on 16s, which look a bit crap on the 159.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bazz26 wrote: »
    Because spending €40 or €50 on part worn premium tyres with 5mm or 6mm of thread might actually wear and perform better than new cheap tyres.

How easy is it to get a good set of part worns though?, there's a lot of rubbish out there when it comes to them.

christy02 wrote: »
    I have toyo proxes on both mine and the missus car. Find them a good Tyre in wet at reasonable price.

I have them (t1r) on my gtv and find them crap. Can't wait to change them. They've great thread as well and unreal grip in the dry but in the wet they're cat.
    They're not cheap either when you consider they're around the same price as good years or Bridgestone

Powerflex and getting the tracking done on the fronts sorts this. I know of a 159 that doesn't do this, but it's on 16s, which look a bit crap on the 159.

Tracking has been done to death as has trips to the dealer. As the suspension is currently clunk free I'm leaving that alone. I'll consider power flex when the time comes.

I have the steel wheels for it but I'll never remove my alloys.

Agreed. Powerflex wishbone bushes transform those 159s. I would expect pred racer to be along any minute now to confirm :D

Agreed. Powerflex wishbone bushes transform those 159s. I would expect pred racer to be along any minute now to confirm :D

Surely it's expensive to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The only thing I would put Nankangs on, is the 'auld fella's silage cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I had Nankang's under a Citroen AX GT. This was a 1.4 8 valve engines so hadn't crazy horsepower. I could spin the front tyres in the wet in third. I know French hot hatch's are known for their unique handling but I could get liftoff oversteer at stupid low speeds. Swapping to Firestone's transformed the car and actually gave grip in the wet.

Cino, I'm getting Avon ZV5's fitted in that size tomorrow for 125 a corner. By all accounts a good mix of everything at the price

I just looked up, and Avon ZV5 cost €87 per tyre on oponeo.ie
    So considering you could get fitting and balancing of 4 for €50, you are overpaying about €100 with price you are paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

The only thing I would put Nankangs on, is the 'auld fella's silage cover.

You'd want to tie them down well or they'd slip off!

Tracking has been done to death as has trips to the dealer. As the suspension is currently clunk free I'm leaving that alone. I'll consider power flex when the time comes.

I have the steel wheels for it but I'll never remove my alloys.

Yes the tracking may have been done to death, but the powerflex bushes allow you to adjust the camber, which stops the inside wear. I'd say it'd be best to contact autolusso as they developed them with powerflex and could do a lot more justice for them than I could ever do. But if you do upgrade the fronts and find someone who can do the adjustments competently you won't have the tyre wear problem that you currently have. It's the solution that most on alfaowner have found to have worked for them.

I found devoys in Carlow to be great for tracking, anyone who's worked on the rear suspension of a gtv know how simple it is to do :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Had a set of Nankangs on my Yaris. The tread wore really really slowly on them but it was clear why this was the case... Wheelspinning at every traffic light in the wet :D

Replaced them with Hankooks a few days ago, SUCH an improvement.

Mind you, they were quite decent in the dry.

Yes the tracking may have been done to death, but the powerflex bushes allow you to adjust the camber, which stops the inside wear. I'd say it'd be best to contact autolusso as they developed them with powerflex and could do a lot more justice for them than I could ever do. But if you do upgrade the fronts and find someone who can do the adjustments competently you won't have the tyre wear problem that you currently have. It's the solution that most on alfaowner have found to have worked for them.

I found devoys in Carlow to be great for tracking, anyone who's worked on the rear suspension of a gtv know how simple it is to do :pac:

I reckon financially it isn't worth it tbh. Now handling is a different story but I have a wedding to pay for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hi just a quick query, i bought 4 Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyres for my car and went for the ratings 88 H XL

These tyres are just for a small 1.4 petrol hatchback, is the 88 H XL overkill for my car?

I got a lot of suspension work done on the car and sometimes it feels like my car is rolling on 4 concrete drums,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

If you're looking for budget, have a look at Falken FK453s or Hankook K115/k120s

commited wrote: »
    If you're looking for budget, have a look at Falken FK453s or Hankook K115/k120s

Hankook are no longer budget. I've never found falken cheap or good. I've been very disappointed with them in the past.

So eventually decision had been made, and I bought a set of Nankang N20.
    I read various reviews, and people seem to say they are comparable with premium brands.
    I was nearly ready to buy Starmaxx (they are Turkish brand), as they have really high EU tyre rating, but due to their small popularity and virtually no reviews anywhere, I decided not to be guinea pig, even though they might be actually great tyres.
    It's probably going to be another month when I have them put on, but I'll come back here to write a review after few weeks of using them Nankangs :)

They will be ok but won't do great mileage

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote: »
    Had a set of Nankangs on my Yaris. The tread wore really really slowly on them but it was clear why this was the case... Wheelspinning at every traffic light in the wet :D
    They will be ok but won't do great mileage

So now - which one is true? :D

Advertisement