Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nankang vs Starmaxx tyres

Options
  • 03-10-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just shopping for set of tyres in size 225/45 R17.
    I was to one of local tyre dealers in March, and he was genuinely advising Nankang tyres. I though they were cheap Chinese rubbish, but he was genuinely convincing that they are good Taiwanese brand. That they provide fairly good traction on wet and wear down slowly.
    I didn't listen to him and decided to go for Riken Maystorm 2 B2, but now I regret that. They provided good grip, but wore down in no time. 10k kilometres and they are completely gone so I need to get new set.

Now I went to the same garage and the same guy advised me Nankangs again, but said that he's got Starmaxx now, which are way superior to Nankangs. However 15 quid more expensive per tyre.

I looked online, and I can get Starmaxx Novaro at the same price as Nankang NS20. Both much cheaper than at this guys garage.

EU rating has those Starmaxx fairly high - Fuel Efficiency - C, Wet Grip - B.
    That's better than many premium brands.
    Nankangs have it worse - Fuel Efficiency - E, Wet Grip - C.

I was nearly ready to buy Nankangs, but now I wonder if possibly those Starmaxx wouldn't be a better choice.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

How much for each

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dgt wrote: »
    How much for each

68 online - both Nankang and Starmaxx.
    In the garage 85 for Nankang and 100 for Starmaxx (with fitting and balancing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

What the hell are Starmaxxx and Riken Maystorm?

Sounds more like Transformers than tyres!

CiniO wrote: »
    68 online - both Nankang and Starmaxx.
    In the garage 85 for Nankang and 100 for Starmaxx (with fitting and balancing).

That is quite cheap alright :eek:

I have had NS2's before and can confirm that it was very nerve racking in wet conditions, the car would shimmy about and I got a few small skids (understeering on approaching a corner). Tyre size was 205/40R17. Having said that they were okay in the dry and even wasn't too bad in the snow (within reason). Replaced with Acceleras and noticed a significant improvement in the wet.

I don't know anything about the other brand you mentioned.

Personally, I'd look at other brands and see if you can stretch to them. Last time I looked online, Vredestein in that size was €105, excluding fitting so about €120 a corner fitted and balanced

ION08 wrote: »
    What the hell are Starmaxxx and Riken Maystorm?
    Well very hard to find any opinions about Starmaxx.
    Seems to be a fairly new brand, so very little review online.

Riken Maystorm is a brand owned by Michelin, just producing budget tyres.
    IMO very good grip, but incredible quick wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's cheap I was paying over 110 for average brands 7 years ago for a laguna.

I have had NS2's before and can confirm that it was very nerve racking in wet conditions, the car would shimmy about and I got a few small skids (understeering on approaching a corner). Tyre size was 205/40R17. Having said that they were okay in the dry and even wasn't too bad in the snow (within reason).
    Well nearly every tyre will be OK in the dry so that's not any good. If they are crap on wet then I might not go for them. But after reading reviews people seem to suggest they should be fairly all-right on wet.
    I'm not interested in snow grip, as I have a set of winter tyres for winter conditions :)
    Replaced with Acceleras and noticed a significant improvement in the wet.
    Hmm. Acceleras are even cheaper. On oponeo I can get them for 60 quid, compared to 68 for nankangs. However I had them once in a car I bought and I though they were really crap. No grip at all in wet.
    If you say they are better than Nankangs, then I'm confused now.

Personally, I'd look at other brands and see if you can stretch to them. Last time I looked online, Vredestein in that size was €105, excluding fitting so about €120 a corner fitted and balanced

That's the problem - it's too costly, and I drive on roads where I need to change tyres every 15k kilometres anyway, as tread wear is so quick. Can't really afford more expensive stuff.

Well nearly every tyre will be OK in the dry so that's not any good. If they are crap on wet then I might not go for them. But after reading reviews people seem to suggest they should be fairly all-right on wet.
    I'm not interested in snow grip, as I have a set of winter tyres for winter conditions :)

Trust me, I have had some tyres that were useless in the dry, without mentioning the wet! :eek:
    Hmm. Acceleras are even cheaper. On oponeo I can get them for 60 quid, compared to 68 for nankangs. However I had them once in a car I bought and I though they were really crap. No grip at all in wet.
    If you say they are better than Nankangs, then I'm confused now.

Hand on heart, they were £60 at the time compared to £65 for NS2's and I was surprised how well they were in the wet. Those were new, naturally when they were well worn down they were far from great. Personally if I had the choice I'd have them over the NS2
    That's the problem - it's too costly, and I drive on roads where I need to change tyres every 15k kilometers anyway, as tread wear is so quick. Can't really afford more expensive stuff.

Twisty roads/bumpy/uneven surface? Whilst not applicable to yourself but the Daily van here had Tigars, which wore away in a flash. Replaced with Michelin Agilis all round. Since then it has covered 15k miles/24k kms on bumpy potholes, twists and rough surfaces. The thread is still like new, circa 7mm all round.

It may be worthwhile to invest in a premium brand, 15k kilometers for a set of tyres would set alarm bells with the car and maybe the driving style too.

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Starmaxx's on the Astra since I got it and like the Nankangs they are lethal in the wet.
    From understeer to being able to provoke liftoff oversteer on roundabouts!
    Fun if you're ready for it but if you're not into it then they're just plain lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have had NS2's before and can confirm that it was very nerve racking in wet conditions, the car would shimmy about and I got a few small skids (understeering on approaching a corner). Tyre size was 205/40R17. Having said that they were okay in the dry and even wasn't too bad in the snow (within reason). Replaced with Acceleras and noticed a significant improvement in the wet.

I've found accelera to be a danger personally so much so ive a perfectly good one on adverts for sale. The back of the car stepped out abit too easily for my liking so it was time to call it a day.

Love Vredestein sessantas. They are crazy good in the wet. In my experience better than factory fitted Michelin pilot sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This topic gives me shudders. :P

mickdw wrote: »
    I've found accelera to be a danger personally so much so ive a perfectly good one on adverts for sale. The back of the car stepped out abit too easily for my liking so it was time to call it a day.

Love Vredestein sessantas. They are crazy good in the wet. In my experience better than factory fitted Michelin pilot sport

If I had the choice of those or say Uniroyals then naturally I'd go for the well known brand. I found the set I had not too bad in the wet when new.

I can see where the OP is coming from with tyres lasting for such little time, but that would beg the question as to why that happens and how it can be possibly rectified?
    dar83 wrote: »

If you think that's bad, I won't mention what quality tyres I currently have on my car :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

dar83 wrote: »

Really? Are they any good? Just looking for a good budget tyre :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

mickdw wrote: »
    I've found accelera to be a danger personally so much so ive a perfectly good one on adverts for sale. The back of the car stepped out abit too easily for my liking so it was time to call it a day

Frightening yokes. Ditched a set myself with many miles left on them. These were accelera alphas, allegedly the phi is ok. Even the dirt cheap price of the alphas couldn't make up for the shocking unpredictability of braking and turning, noise and quare wear on the extreme edges.
    They were on it when I got btw.

T

Twisty roads/bumpy/uneven surface? Whilst not applicable to yourself but the Daily van here had Tigars, which wore away in a flash. Replaced with Michelin Agilis all round. Since then it has covered 15k miles/24k kms on bumpy potholes, twists and rough surfaces. The thread is still like new, circa 7mm all round.
    So you say by this that Michelin Agilis last much longer?
    It may be worthwhile to invest in a premium brand, 15k kilometers for a set of tyres would set alarm bells with the car and maybe the driving style too.

Just my 2 cents

I can see where the OP is coming from with tyres lasting for such little time, but that would beg the question as to why that happens and how it can be possibly rectified?

Well I drive on very rough surface roads. These are typical West of Ireland country roads, where they makes surface and then just lay it with loose chippings without using the roller on it.
    Loose chippings are loose for next few months, they fly all over the place with all the cars driving causing thousands of broken windscreens, and eventually they settle, making extremelly rough surface. I tried walking barefoot on it few times, and it hurts a lot - nearly causing bleeding. No wonder that tyres don't last long.
    Also most roads in my region are really bendy, so for 50% of my travel I might be actually turning left or right, and only remaining 50% travelling with my steering wheel straight ahead.
    And on top of that I don't drive slow, so this surely doesn't help tyres to last.

Everything OK though with my car :)

Usually 15k kilometres is OK on set of 4 (with swapping front to rear at some stage). As I mentioned Riken Maystorm lasted 10k, and IMHO that's way to low.

Frightening yokes. Ditched a set myself with many miles left on them. These were accelera alphas, allegedly the phi is ok. Even the dirt cheap price of the alphas couldn't make up for the shocking unpredictability of braking and turning, noise and quare wear on the extreme edges.
    They were on it when I got btw.

I had nearly the same experience with Accelera Alphas. I wouldn't put them on.
    But dgt is suggesting they are much better than Nankangs, which is suprising me as Nankangs get fairly good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,186 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why not look at a set of part worn premium tyres so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

From experience the people who have good things to say about nangkangs are the same people who crawl along in the wet and know no different.

So you say by this that Michelin Agilis last much longer?

They are a commercial van tyre so are designed to take much more of a hammering.
    Well I drive on very rough surface roads. These are typical West of Ireland country roads, where they makes surface and then just lay it with loose chippings without using the roller on it.
    Loose chippings are loose for next few months, they fly all over the place with all the cars driving causing thousands of broken windscreens, and eventually they settle, making extremelly rough surface. I tried walking barefoot on it few times, and it hurts a lot - nearly causing bleeding. No wonder that tyres don't last long.
    Also most roads in my region are really bendy, so for 50% of my travel I might be actually turning left or right, and only remaining 50% travelling with my steering wheel straight ahead.
    And on top of that I don't drive slow, so this surely doesn't help tyres to last.

Everything OK though with my car :)

Usually 15k kilometres is OK on set of 4 (with swapping front to rear at some stage). As I mentioned Riken Maystorm lasted 10k, and IMHO that's way to low.

The roads over here are even worse I'd say. Between loose chippings and sheer neglect I often wonder how I haven't smashed more windscreens/blown shocks etc. I did have a thread on potholes once. Roads have sharp bumps, subsiding surfaces and rough surfaces, yet we can have tyres lasting a lot longer than 15k kilometers (all of us like to drive spiritedly too)

That mileage is seriously too low for normal car tyres....
    I had nearly the same experience with Accelera Alphas. I wouldn't put them on.
    But dgt is suggesting they are much better than Nankangs, which is suprising me as Nankangs get fairly good reviews.

Only telling you about my experience with both, in the real world, not online and from someone you'd kinda recognize. You can take it or leave what I'm saying ;)

• Advertisement

They are a commercial van tyre so are designed to take much more of a hammering.

The roads over here are even worse I'd say. Between loose chippings and sheer neglect I often wonder how I haven't smashed more windscreens/blown shocks etc. I did have a thread on potholes once. Roads have sharp bumps, subsiding surfaces and rough surfaces, yet we can have tyres lasting a lot longer than 15k kilometers (all of us like to drive spiritedly too)

That mileage is seriously too low for normal car tyres....
    Well so what could be the cause then?
    It's not just happening on this particular car, but on any car I had which I drove in those regions.
    F.e. for comparison I've bought Debica Frigo HP for this car last winter, and travelled on them nearly 10k kilometres mostly in Poland but also including trip from Poland to Ireland. I didn't drive on them here in Mayo locally. After those 10k kilometres tread is gone down from 8mm to about 7.5mm.
    So it's definitely not a car and not my driving style that's causing this excessive tyre wear.

Only telling you about my experience with both, in the real world, not online and from someone you'd kinda recognize. You can take it or leave what I'm saying ;)

So if you experience is that Nankangs are worse than Acceleras, and my own experience tells me that Acceleras are really crap, then I shouldn't really be going for Nankangs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Cino, I'm getting Avon ZV5's fitted in that size tomorrow for 125 a corner. By all accounts a good mix of everything at the price

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why not look at a set of part worn premium tyres so.

What good part worn tyres are for me, if they'll be worn in few months here where I drive. I need tyres with as much tread as possible, and hard-wearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't bother with cheap Chinese ditchfinders. I just replaced my two rear BFGoodrich tyres with two more of the same BFGoodrich. Got 55,000 kms out of these rear tyres which are the RWD drive wheels. Drive a mixture of Rural & N Roads with a few thousand motorway miles each year also.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Cino, I'm getting Avon ZV5's fitted in that size tomorrow for 125 a corner. By all accounts a good mix of everything at the price

125? Are they good tyres?
    You can get plenty of premium brands for under a 100 from oponeo.ie including Bridgestone, BF goodrich, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Do yourself a favour and spend the extra few quid on decent tyres. You will never buy cheap crap again.

Bridgestone ER300
    Bridgestone T001
    Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance

All excellent tyres. The ER300 is probably the best for wear.

I have had a set of T001s on my E Class for the last 2 years and 66k kms. Two are now just above 3mm, 2 are just below. Most of my driving is done in straight lines on good roads though.

Well so what could be the cause then?
    It's not just happening on this particular car, but on any car I had which I drove in those regions.
    F.e. for comparison I've bought Debica Frigo HP for this car last winter, and travelled on them nearly 10k kilometres mostly in Poland but also including trip from Poland to Ireland. I didn't drive on them here in Mayo locally. After those 10k kilometres tread is gone down from 8mm to about 7.5mm.
    So it's definitely not a car and not my driving style that's causing this excessive tyre wear.

I can't tell you what is causing your excessive tyre wear. The worst I ever got myself out of new tyres was 20k kilometers, on Uniroyals. Parents cars don't wear tyres excessively and generally a set of tyres will easily do over 30k kilometers, despite our sub standard roads
    So if you experience is that Nankangs are worse than Acceleras, and my own experience tells me that Acceleras are really crap, then I shouldn't really be going for Nankangs then.

Personally, no. Last Nankang I had was on my old 406, on the rear. It would step out on wet roads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

125? Are they good tyres?
    You can get plenty of premium brands for under a 100 from oponeo.ie including Bridgestone, BF goodrich, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc...

Cheaper Aaron's are available but I don't want asymmetric tyres. I've spoken to a few people I know who have had them and all were positive. I can't comment myself until I've fitted them

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I have toyo proxes on both mine and the missus car. Find them a good Tyre in wet at reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Do yourself a favour and spend the extra few quid on decent tyres. You will never buy cheap crap again.

Bridgestone ER300
    Bridgestone T001
    Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance

All excellent tyres. The ER300 is probably the best for wear.

I have had a set of T001s on my E Class for the last 2 years and 66k kms. Two are now just above 3mm, 2 are just below. Most of my driving is done in straight lines on good roads though.

+1 on this I have Bridgestone T001's on my golf and they are really good. Great wet grip. Had Goodyears before and I thought they were good. My parents octavia came with nankangs and they were poor no matter what way you look at it. Driving home today you appreciate the good tyres in the terrible rain that was failing.

Advertisement