Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE unveil memorial to Gerry Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Am I the only person in the entire country who thought Gerry Ryan was a great, very entertaining braodcaster, and am sorry he's no longer around and on the airwaves :confused:

(And don't begrudge him a simple plaque at his place of work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Oh do not forget when his ageing mentor kick started his career with the killing of a lamb with a stone in a sock. RTE Bullocks.

You do know he didn't actually kill a lamb, don't you? In fact, he never even left the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Heckler wrote: »
    i'm not delusianel at all. just because he used it doesn't mean he was using it every hour of every day. if those who knew him well within his line of work say they didn't know then they didn't, and as you haven't provided anything to say they did then i have to take it that you have nothing to prove it.

You're right. I have nothing to prove it
    . We'll agree to disagree though a man earning apparently in excess of 400,000 at his height and died apparently in debt.......Sure, the "once a week" habit probably had nothing to do with that :rolleyes:

Although if you believe that everything everybody says is true just because they said it you're in for some land fella. You're either naive or 14 years old. Sometimes people tell lies. Imagine that !

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Am I the only person in the entire country who thought Gerry Ryan was a great, very entertaining braodcaster, and am sorry he's no longer around and on the airwaves :confused:

Nope. When he was good he was great. And don't begrudge him that plaque at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Maybe a lot of people on here are too young to remember the early years of the show. It was brillant back then and there has been nothing as good as it on Irish radio since. It did get very stale by the end though. Maybe that was inevitable.

I wouldn't begrudge him the memorial either. It's a nice gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You're right. I have nothing to prove it
    . We'll agree to disagree though a man earning apparently in excess of 400,000 at his height and died apparently in debt.......Sure, the "once a week" habit probably had nothing to do with that

Although if you believe that everything everybody says is true just because they said it you're in for some land fella. You're either naive or 14 years old. Sometimes people tell lies. Imagine that !

look. you made a claim that the dogs on the street along with fellow workers knew that he had a coke addiction, even though his fellow workers said they didn't know. yet you have posted nothing to prove they knew he had a coke addiction. so your little rant about me being naive or 14 years old and people telling lies means nothing. as you have admitted you don't know and can't prove it, we'l leave it there.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

look. you made a claim that the dogs on the street along with fellow workers knew that he had a coke addiction, even though his fellow workers said they didn't know. yet you have posted nothing to prove they knew he had a coke addiction. so your little rant about me being naive or 14 years old and people telling lies means nothing. as you have admitted you don't know and can't prove it, we'l leave it there.

Hardly a rant and your use of the word "little" to try to belittle my post is an oft used but petty effort on forums but like you said lets leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

guys and girls put it to bed now. Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

a public organisation remembering one of its most successful staff. get over it
    That organisation can remember one of its own staff with their own money and then I will get over it.
    Not much of a remembrance for the person if they cant be bothered paying for it.

he brought in the listeners and advertisers for 2fm for many years, was well known in the industry, and had been at RTE for years. he was still one of RTE'S most successful staff. yes his TV bits didn't work out but thats life. its done now so no point whining about it and get over it
    That was his feckin job and was renumerated with a massive salary for it.

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Maybe a lot of people on here are too young to remember the early years of the show. It was brillant back then and there has been nothing as good as it on Irish radio since. It did get very stale by the end though. Maybe that was inevitable.

I wouldn't begrudge him the memorial either. It's a nice gesture.

Ironically enough it was only in the last few years of his show that I got into it. I thought he was fantastic, and if his earlier stuff was so much more brilliant then I'm sorry I missed out.

Cannot believe the begrudgery and vitriol being spewed in this thread.

tipptom wrote: »
    That organisation can remember one of its own staff with their own money and then I will get over it.
    Not much of a remembrance for the person if they cant be bothered paying for it.
    its a publically funded organisation. it was only a few quid. money which you would never have saw. spent on remembering a very successful presenter who changed the face of irish radio forever. so you will have to get over it as its spent now

That was his feckin job and was renumerated with a massive salary for it.
    which he was worth and which he payed for a lot more in advertising and listeners. he brought in a lot more then he got

Cannot believe the begrudgery and vitriol being spewed in this thread.

sadly i can. its RTE and one of their staff. the people begrudging would take the same money as the staff if they could yet begrudge it to those who get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This memorial will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader.
    And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?"
    And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Gerry is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"

its a publically funded organisation. it was only a few quid. money which you would never have saw. spent on remembering a very successful presenter who changed the face of irish radio forever. so you will have to get over it as its spent now
    This makes it all the more baffling,it was only a few quid yet they could not pay that piffling few quid themselves for their colleague but expect someone else to pony up the few quid,some remembrance.

In the midst of all this righteous outrage about the savage abuse of our licence monies (:rolleyes:) - do we actually know that the family/friends of the deceased didn't put a few quid together and lay the plaque themselves?

Seems to me that there are a lot of conclusions being jumped to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ruby37

Nope, I absolutely loved him on radio and television. I cannot understand the outrage over a simple plaque. Okay he wasn't perfect but who is? He gave a lot of people so much happiness on a daily basis. I was so genuinely upset when he died and actually think of him quite often.

In the midst of all this righteous outrage about the savage abuse of our licence monies (:rolleyes:) - do we actually know that the family/friends of the deceased didn't put a few quid together and lay the plaque themselves?

Seems to me that there are a lot of conclusions being jumped to here.
    Oh great,so you can confirm that the licence payers did not have to pay for any of this plaque generously erected by his friends.

Oh great,so you can confirm that the licence payers did not have to pay for any of this plaque generously erected by his friends.

Eh, no. I haven't the foggiest, and nor do you obviously.

But there's an awful lot of posters getting their knickers in a twist about something they don't even know happened.

• Advertisement

This makes it all the more baffling,it was only a few quid yet they could not pay that piffling few quid themselves for their colleague but expect someone else to pony up the few quid,some remembrance.
    maybe they did. from advertising money

we don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

mikom wrote: »
    This memorial will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader.
    And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?"
    And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Gerry is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"

A methadone clinic in the grounds of RTE would have been a more suitable monument to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

If people can have a memorial for Haughey, why not Ryan? Both have fans and detractors. Both great role models ;)
    RTE look after their own with little concern to the tax payer, (see Ryan Tubridy having a career) so regardless of the fact that I thought he was an annoyance and a blow hard, I wouldn't be suprised if I did part fund his memorial.
    Ryan is part of the RTE family all right and Lottie is set for life.

A methadone clinic in the grounds of RTE would have been a more suitable monument to him.

Why? :confused:

I never heard any suggestion that he ever took heroin.

Once again I ask - why the petty bitterness (or whatever it is that motivates a ridiculous post such as this)?

Why? :confused:

I never heard any suggestion that he ever took heroin.

Once again I ask - why the petty bitterness (or whatever it is that motivates a ridiculous post such as this)?

Are you suggesting there should be different monuments to the type of drug that is taken in our state bodies. Kenny should set up a quango to investigate which is most preferable. What are the gym enthusiasts in Irish Water on, going by the way they are carrying on. it must be some expensive shít.

Are you suggesting there should be different monuments to the type of drug that is taken in our state bodies. Kenny should set up a quango to investigate which is most preferable. What are the gym enthusiasts in Irish Water on, going by the way they are carrying on. it must be some expensive shít.
    The man was a well-known broadcaster (some would say a great one), well regarded/liked/loved by a large number of the population, he died before his time, his colleagues and/or family laid a small plaque in his memory somewhere near his place of employment.

What on earth is your problem with that? :confused: (and don't pull the licence-fee line, since you don't know if that's what was used to pay for the plaque)

I seriously don't understand.

And WTF does Irish Water have to do with anything?

The man was a well-known broadcaster (some would say a great one), well regarded/liked/loved by a large number of the population, he died before his time, his colleagues and/or family laid a small plaque in his memory somewhere near his place of employment.

What on earth is your problem with that? :confused: (and don't pull the licence-fee line, since you don't know if that's what was used to pay for the plaque)

I seriously don't understand.

And WTF does Irish Water have to do with anything?

My problem is, how much is the tomb going to cost the licence payer, when the so called great one, passes away.

As regards Irish water it is self explained.

My problem is, how much is the tomb going to cost the licence payer, when the so called great one, passes away.

Well it's clearly not, since I had to ask.

Why all this in a thread about a (modest) memorial to Gerry Ryan?

Can the guy not rest in peace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

It's a wind up, right?

Explain the Irish Water connection to Gerry Ryan to those of us in the Radio Board.

Advertisement