Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE unveil memorial to Gerry Ryan

Options
  • 03-10-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Our memorial for the late, great Gerry Ryan.

Always missed.
    10438120_924674154212767_2222882920294515528_n.jpg?oh=b0a3d03a7548e2784d306446a4495e8e&oe=54C3C01F&__gda__=1422455235_0dc8c352c79c6068646bc33da525be72

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Was actually wondering how long it'd take, if someone put up a thread here about this, before someone made unnecessary snide remarks about Gerry's drug issues. Not long, as it turns out.

How hard is it really to put aside someone's failings and remember them for the good they did?

This is a nice simple memorial from those who remember him personally and cared about him. He had a lot of friends in RTÉ..- fair play to them for memorialising him in their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

any references to drug taking or subjects or than radio in relation to Gerry. Ryan will receive a one month ban

It's very tasteful, IMO, and it's a good thing to remember the good things about someone. Nobody's perfect, not one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

"All in the best possible taste"

Kenny Everett

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Where is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Did my TV licence pay for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'm bursting with so many jokes here, and not allowed to say anything.. It's like that episode of Friends where Chandler wasnt allowed to crack any jokes... :mad:

I never even listened to his show.I do not care if he did in his private life as he was around the music industry and stuff happens and I do not judge him in any way but I want to know if my licence fee paid for this man who was a stranger to me so he could get this thing made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Greatest Irish presenter ever..Really liked that man..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

I never even listened to his show.I do not care if he did in his private life as he was around the music industry and stuff happens and I do not judge him in any way but I want to know if my licence fee paid for this man who was a stranger to me so he could get this thing made.

See your point, but why have you asked the same thing twice on the same thread within 12 minutes? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Bard wrote: »
    Was actually wondering how long it'd take, if someone put up a thread here about this, before someone made unnecessary snide remarks about Gerry's drug issues. Not long, as it turns out.

How hard is it really to put aside someone's failings and remember them for the good they did?

This is a nice simple memorial from those who remember him personally and cared about him. He had a lot of friends in RTÉ..- fair play to them for memorialising him in their own way.

What unnecessary snide remarks are you referring to? Yours is the second post so are you saying the OP is a snide remark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

mountcisco wrote: »
    What unnecessary snide remarks are you referring to? Yours is the second post so are you saying the OP is a snide remark?

I'm guessing a mod removed some posts before Bard posted.

skallywag wrote: »
    See your point, but why have you asked the same thing twice on the same thread within 12 minutes? :confused:
    No one will answer my question lol too much coffee :pac:

Greatest Irish presenter ever..Really liked that man..
    But did we really know him at all or did we just know the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

But we could say that about a lot of people.Just because he had a drug problem didn't mean he was a monster, Far from it he was a compassionate man.

I was suspicious about this and looking at the OP's previous I'm convinced this thread is a pisstake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mountcisco wrote: »
    I was suspicious about this and looking at the OP's previous I'm convinced this thread is a pisstake.

Don't think so.

http://m.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/1003/649854-gerry-ryan-memorial-bronze-tile-laid-in-rte/

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Don't think so.

Thanks Fresh. Apologies to all especially
    Hawley

• Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yes your license fee did probably pay for it.

But I don't see a reason to get it on your high horse about it, as you seem to be doing.

Taxes go to pay for monuments and memorials all over the country, some to people we like others we don't.

Do you question them all the time too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

I'm bursting with so many jokes here, and not allowed to say anything.. It's like that episode of Friends where Chandler wasnt allowed to crack any jokes... :mad:

It pretty much writes its own gags. They really shouldn't have made it so easy for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

If Gerry Ryan was still alive, he would be working for Newstalk now not RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Yes your license fee did probably pay for it.

But I don't see a reason to get it on your high horse about it, as you seem to be doing.

Taxes go to pay for monuments and memorials all over the country, some to people we like others we don't.

Do you question them all the time too ?

If people in their work place feel they have to remember him in such a way, let them contribute to it. The general public should not be forced to contribute, through their licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If people in their work place feel they have to remember him in such a way, let them contribute to it. The general public should not be forced to contribute, through their licence fee.

But RTE is a public body rather than a private one.

It no different to a memorial to a local politician outside a council office

Don't get me wrong, i was never a fan of Ryan, but I still don't get the outrage over such a simple memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it doesn't matter. get over it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It says "The Ryan Line is Open". **** if I can get through!! I'll keep trying......

But RTE is a public body rather than a private one.

It no different to a memorial to a local politician outside a council office

Don't get me wrong, i was never a fan of Ryan, but I still don't get the outrage over such a simple memorial.
    IMO an overrated clown that spoke about masturbating twice a day while his kids were still going to school. I think that about sums his talents up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The general public should not be forced to contribute, through their licence fee.

Would my licence fee have been lower if we had not paid for it ?

Irrespective of whether or not you liked him as a presenter , the general public has not in anyway paid any more money in any form for anything relating to Gerry's remembrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

IMO an overrated clown that spoke about masturbating twice a day while his kids were still going to school. I think that about sums his talents up.
    yet he still brought in the listeners and advertisers, so he actually knew what he was doing and actually had a talent. oh, wait, of course i forgot, he worked for RTE so therefore by default he was **** and had no talent what soever. sorry i forgot that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

yet he still brought in the listeners and advertisers, so he actually knew what he was doing and actually had a talent. oh, wait, of course i forgot, he worked for RTE so therefore by default he was **** and had no talent what soever. sorry i forgot that.

How many millions were spent by pravda trying to enhance his career into tv, all went in failure, who paid for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What a miserable petty piece of cribbing this is -
    Did my TV licence pay for that?
    .....but I want to know if my licence fee paid for this man who was a stranger to me so he could get this thing made.
    No one will answer my question.....

I never had much time for Ryan myself but there is no denying he had a huge presence and will be remembered as one of the most popular broadcasters the counry has ever seen.

I don't begrudge his fans, colleagues and family this modest memorial.

Nor would I begrudge the miniscule fraction of the licence fee it would cost to pay for it. That goes for any presenter who was around as long as Ryan was.

Like him or loathe him (and I fall into the latter category), he made a sizable contribution to Irish radio and had his fans.

Its a not exactly the Wellington Monument we're talking about here. Just a simple plaque.

He deserves that much.

Why don't you write to RTÉ and ask them for a rebate of your portion of your licence fee if you are that petulant about it.

Don't forget to ask them to reimburse you for the cost of the ink you used to write it while you're at it.

It probably cost you more than the proportion of the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think what people forget is that during the late 80s and 90s he talked about taboo subjects in a way that cracked open a lot of Ireland's cold, conservative self-censorship and state censorship.

By the 2000s maybe it had gone stale but there was a serious need to shake Ireland out of the 1950s which had remained very much intact well into the 80s.

I still think he was a hugely influential and groundbreaking Irish broadcaster and very much deserves to be remembered for that.

That's also about the most low key, understated and subtle monument I've ever seen for a celeb.

Advertisement