Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE unveil memorial to Gerry Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

The Ryan Line is open yet we didn't have a whisper from his closest RTE friends and colleagues. Didn't have a clue. Here we come with Gay Byrne and Dave Fanning. Pat Kenny couldn't believe it.

If this is genuine, it's got to be one of the greatest cock ups going. No doubt Gerry himself would get a laugh, but in the name of God, giving what came out in his inquest, what were they thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

It's petty to have a moan about license fees paying for what anyway looks a pretty low key memorial.

One does have to wonder at the phrasing used though, it is indeed unfortunate.

One way or the other the man was iconic. For me personally his last years represented everything that was rotting in Ireland of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Since some people appear unaware there are a few long standing rules on boards; one of them is do not argue with a mod decision on thread. Anyone who's arguing with a mod decision on thread will be taking a forum vacation; if you got an issue with a mod decision (or don't know which mod did what) you should PM the Mod / Mods and ask (contrary to popular belief Mods don't randomly remove things for the heck of it).

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I'm bursting with so many jokes here, and not allowed to say anything.. It's like that episode of Friends where Chandler wasnt allowed to crack any jokes... :mad:

now i know how the shinners felt in the 80s !

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The guy is a broadcasting legend regardless of anything else.

I think Irish people (unlike many Americans) are capable of understanding that public figures aren't perfect. The way he died was very sad in may ways and a total waste of what should have been a very long career.

Also, I don't see why people are shocked that his colleagues and friends were not aware of this aspect of his life. That's fairly normal in circumstances like this you don't always know everything about your workmates and friends.

By all accounts he was really liked by his colleagues and was always good fun to work with.

I think we need to be able to just accept that he had his flaws and his baggage and still be able to remember him as a broadcasting legend.

I would hate to see Irish society go back to a situation where everything in public life is fake and squeaky clean. That's what's currently destroying American politics - if you're a candidate you've got to be without bleamish which is resulting in very odd characters standing for office who aren't remotely representative of real American society and it's turned a lot of people off standing and off voting.

I'd hate to see Ireland becoming that moralising and preachy again.

Sometimes you've just got to accept the whole person, he had his good and bad points. Best we can do is learn from his mistakes and celebrate the many positive contributions he made to Irish broadcasting and social change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i always think a person has to earn a memorial.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The guy is a broadcasting legend regardless of anything else.

I think Irish people (unlike many Americans) are capable of understanding that public figures aren't perfect. The way he died was very sad in may ways and a total waste of what should have been a very long career.

Also, I don't see why people are shocked that his colleagues and friends were not aware of this aspect of his life. That's fairly normal in circumstances like this you don't always know everything about your workmates and friends.

By all accounts he was really liked by his colleagues and was always good fun to work with.

I think we need to be able to just accept that he had his flaws and his baggage and still be able to remember him as a broadcasting legend.

I would hate to see Irish society go back to a situation where everything in public life is fake and squeaky clean. That's what's currently destroying American politics - if you're a candidate you've got to be without bleamish which is resulting in very odd characters standing for office who aren't remotely representative of real American society and it's turned a lot of people off standing and off voting.

I'd hate to see Ireland becoming that moralising and preachy again.

Sometimes you've just got to accept the whole person, he had his good and bad points. Best we can do is learn from his mistakes and celebrate the many positive contributions he made to Irish broadcasting and social change.

All you say is true. However, the wording of the plaque is unfortunate.

It's a low key memorial for presenting a long running, very influential and successful radio show at RTE.

Do you seriously think that because of a substance abuse problem someone should be simply erased from history?

History is an account of the past, not a sanitised story.

All you say is true. However, the wording of the plaque is unfortunate.

Well it was his slogan and catch phrase but yeah, given the circumstances it was a little bit of an oversight.

Just "Gerry" or something like that might have been safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

As a side issue, how many of Gerry's family are now employed by RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And how has Ryan not earned it ?

Is was extremely successful as a broadcaster.
    And the memorial is at RTE.

Its not as if he is replacing O'Connell in the middle of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I never even listened to his show.I do not care if he did in his private life as he was around the music industry and stuff happens and I do not judge him in any way but I want to know if my licence fee paid for this man who was a stranger to me so he could get this thing made.

Post your licence number and I'll check that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

hawley wrote: »
    Our memorial for the late, great Gerry Ryan.

Always missed.
    10438120_924674154212767_2222882920294515528_n.jpg?oh=b0a3d03a7548e2784d306446a4495e8e&oe=54C3C01F&__gda__=1422455235_0dc8c352c79c6068646bc33da525be72

"The Ryan Lyan is Open" Yet all his best RTE friends and colleagues never heard a whisper, not a thing. Came as a complete shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

what will rte do do when the most pompous one departs this life, seen as they were intent upon erecting a bronze in memory of this overbearing git.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Not in semi state bodies, you are entitled to be revered at the peoples expense, it's their self declared right, and get away with it. Especially in an incestuous outfit like RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

I never even listened to his show.I do not care if he did in his private life as he was around the music industry and stuff happens and I do not judge him in any way but I want to know if my licence fee paid for this man who was a stranger to me so he could get this thing made.

He certainly didn't get it made. I made a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

flutered wrote: »
    what will rte do do when the most pompous one departs this life, seen as they were intent upon erecting a bronze in memory of this overbearing git.
    Dobbo is going nowhere baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

skallywag wrote: »
    I'm guessing a mod removed some posts before Bard posted.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

Well partly it did of course, and partly paid by advert/sponserhip revenue as those are the only sources of revenue that RTE has.

he had the highest ratings on the station and brought in the biggest advert money so you cant ask for more than that. indeed the current management have recently stated that the decline of 2FM has been caused by his departure in every way, from his slot. Tubs must have enjoyed that ringing endorsement.
    If people in their work place feel they have to remember him in such a way, let them contribute to it. The general public should not be forced to contribute, through their licence fee.

Well, even if the workers in RTE paid for it, then since their salaries are partly paid for through the licence fee then its the same thing really.

I am not a fan of the afternoon show, in fact, being at work, I never see it. Maybe I should look for a partial refund. I'm far from a fan of the saturday night show and its host, in fact I regard him in much the same way some here regard Gerry Ryan, but that doesnt mean I can look for a partial refund of my licence fee.

In fact I am not even sure how one goes about calculating such things, is there a formula?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Well partly it did of course, and partly paid by advert/sponserhip revenue as those are the only sources of revenue that RTE has.

he had the highest ratings on the station and brought in the biggest advert money so you cant ask for more than that. indeed the current management have recently stated that the decline of 2FM has been caused by his departure in every way, from his slot. Tubs must have enjoyed that ringing endorsement.

Well, even if the workers in RTE paid for it, then since their salaries are partly paid for through the licence fee then its the same thing really.

I am not a fan of the afternoon show, in fact, being at work, I never see it. Maybe I should look for a partial refund. I'm far from a fan of the saturday night show and its host, in fact I regard him in much the same way some here regard Gerry Ryan, but that doesnt mean I can look for a partial refund of my licence fee.

In fact I am not even sure how one goes about calculating such things, is there a formula?
    No,i don't think its the same thing at all,they get their salary and what they do with it then is their own business after that,if they thought so much of their work colleague then they should have all chipped in from their own salary for the plaque,seems to me like the world of entitlement all over again.
    Lets get something nice from us to remember him by but get some other saps to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

I used to like Gerry a bit probably back in the mid 90's. Then his show turned into Housewife FM with every second caller being a stay at home mother where Gerry would reign supreme with his expert opinion on anything to do with sex or parenting. His wife and kids must have been mortified.

Then he just got boorish. "Let me put my hand in Santas sack and see what we find". Constant references to cigars, fine wine, brandy and his last visit to Fitzpatricks hotel in New York. Never mind his eating and slurping on air. Had to turn off when that happened. Disgusting.

And finally his on air bashing of other people doing what finally killed him. Hypocrite of the highest order.

By no means glad hes dead but a man on his salary with all to live for...He fcked it up himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,999 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tipptom wrote: »
    No,i don't think its the same thing at all,they get their salary and what they do with it then is their own business after that,if they thought so much of their work colleague then they should have all chipped in from their own salary for the plaque,seems to me like the world of entitlement all over again.
    Lets get something nice from us to remember him by but get some other saps to pay for it.
    a public organisation remembering one of its most successful staff. get over it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Heckler wrote: »
    I used to like Gerry a bit probably back in the mid 90's. Then his show turned into Housewife FM with every second caller being a stay at home mother where Gerry would reign supreme with his expert opinion on anything to do with sex or parenting. His wife and kids must have been mortified.

Then he just got boorish. "Let me put my hand in Santas sack and see what we find". Constant references to cigars, fine wine, brandy and his last visit to Fitzpatricks hotel in New York. Never mind his eating and slurping on air. Had to turn off when that happened. Disgusting.

And finally his on air bashing of other people doing what finally killed him. Hypocrite of the highest order.

By no means glad hes dead but a man on his salary with all to live for...He fcked it up himself.
    but in relation to drugs, at least he actually knew what he was talking about, unlike the rest of us who have little to no experience apart from the legal drug alcohol. but its irrelevant either way. it was only a few quid, money we would have never saw either way. non issue just more RTE bashing for the sake of it

but in relation to drugs, at least he actually knew what he was talking about, unlike the rest of us who have little to no experience apart from the legal drug alcohol. but its irrelevant either way. it was only a few quid, money we would have never saw either way. non issue just more RTE bashing for the sake of it

He might have know what he was talking about but he preached the opposite to what he was doing. Thats a hypocrite.

i have no issue with the plaque but I do think the "Ryan line is open" eerm line is classic. Partridgesque.

EDIT:While he might have known what he was talking about in certain respects re drugs he wasn't exactly shooting heroin in the stairwell of a piss smelling flat complex. He was in the finest of accomodation all over the world. The people that knew of his abuse should be ashamed. The dogs on the street knew it and any of these so called personalities claiming otherwise are talking through their hole. Meet a stranger on cocaine and you can tell within 5 seconds ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

a public organisation remembering one of its most successful staff. get over it

How many plastic shows did he fail on, Masturbation and sneering sexual innuendo. Oh do not forget when his ageing mentor kick started his career with the killing of a lamb with a stone in a sock. RTE Bullocks.

He might have know what he was talking about but he preached the opposite to what he was doing. Thats a hypocrite.

did i say otherwise? i just stated he would know more then most of us.
    While he might have known what he was talking about in certain respects re drugs he wasn't exactly shooting heroin in the stairwell of a piss smelling flat complex. He was in the finest of accomodation all over the world.

one would still be better placed to take advice from him then some so called anti-drugs type who drinks alcohol
    The people that knew of his abuse should be ashamed.

you honestly think drug dealers would be ashamed? your having a laugh.
    The dogs on the street knew it

did they? or are you making up stuff? i didn't know of it, i suspect most people didn't.
    any of these so called personalities claiming otherwise are talking through their hole.

and you will know this how? you will be able to provide proof? no thought not. if they say they didn't know they didn't. and they aren't "so called personalities" they are "actual personalities" . end of.

How many plastic shows did he fail on, Masturbation and sneering sexual innuendo. Oh do not forget when his ageing mentor kick started his career with the killing of a lamb with a stone in a sock. RTE Bullocks.

he brought in the listeners and advertisers for 2fm for many years, was well known in the industry, and had been at RTE for years. he was still one of RTE'S most successful staff. yes his TV bits didn't work out but thats life. its done now so no point whining about it and get over it

one would still be better placed to take advice from him then some so called anti-drugs type who drinks alcohol

did they? or are you making up stuff? i didn't know of it, i suspect most people didn't.

and you will know this how? you will be able to provide proof? no thought not. if they say they didn't know they didn't. and they aren't "so called personalities" they are "actual personalities" . end of.[/QU

Gerry was a coke user. Doesn't mean he knew **** about other drugs. Speak for yourself when you say most of us.

Your personal view on alcohol is evident. I couldn"t give a **** if someone sticks a pound of cocaine up their arse while mainlining whiskey. Just don't tell me not to do the same.

When I say ashamed I'm referring to the radio and tv people who knew him well not his dealers. If you think they didn't know he was a cokehead you're delusional.

• Advertisement

and you will know this how? you will be able to provide proof? no thought not. if they say they didn't know they didn't. and they aren't "so called personalities" they are "actual personalities" . end of.[/QU

Gerry was a coke user. Doesn't mean he knew **** about other drugs. Speak for yourself when you say most of us.

Your personal view on alcohol is evident. I couldn"t give a **** if someone sticks a pound of cocaine up their arse while mainlining whiskey. Just don't tell me not to do the same.

When I say ashamed I'm referring to the radio and tv people who knew him well not his dealers. If you think they didn't know he was a cokehead you're delusional.
    i'm not delusianel at all. just because he used it doesn't mean he was using it every hour of every day. if those who knew him well within his line of work say they didn't know then they didn't, and as you haven't provided anything to say they did then i have to take it that you have nothing to prove it.

Advertisement