Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 15 - Japanese Grand Prix (NO FOOTAGE OF THE CRASH ALLOWED)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Then go do that. Watch it if you want, but don't assume everyone wants to see it.

This thread has stayed out of the attention grabbing nature of "Exclusive crash pictures" and "new fan footage of huuuuuuge crash", and is all the better for it.

Thanks for the tips, seen it now, Worse than I expected. Get well soon man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Ok so why not put the link to the daily mail page in a spoiler tag...thereby allowing people who dont want to see it as well as allowing people who do want to see it...its on facebook so everyone will see it in the end...

They should redesign a recovery vehicle to pick up a car via the 4 wheels and just lift safely and quickly depart the area of danger...none of this thing with a marshall wrestling with a swinging fragile car...counterweight should be slung under the recovery vehicle too..like a bus..so to speak..

Forza jules!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Ok so why not put the link to the daily mail page in a spoiler tag...thereby allowing people who dont want to see it as well as allowing people who do want to see it...its on facebook so everyone will see it in the end...

Forza jules!!!

If people want to see it, they can find it themselves. No need for it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'm happy with the decision not to allow footage of the crash here. I inadvertently saw a gif of it while browsing another website. I didn't want to see it but I'm glad I did now to be honest, the crash was bad but not quite as bad as I thought based on some pictures I had seen up to now.

Kind of gives me renewed hope he might somehow pull through this, whereas up to now I had a far more gruesome picture in my head on what the accident was like, particularly in terms of impact on his head. I has originally envisioned a clear head on impact but it appeared to be more of a glancing strike albeit at high speed. It was still pretty bad though :(

pegasus1 wrote: »

They should redesign a recovery vehicle to pick up a car via the 4 wheels and just lift safely and quickly depart the area of danger...none of this thing with a marshall wrestling with a swinging fragile car...counterweight should be slung under the recovery vehicle too..like a bus..so to speak..

Forza jules!!!

The high moral ground would be ceded... can't you see that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Shane732 wrote: »
    Fair enough but the first car was after aquaplaning, it was raining and there was poor visibility.

Safety cars are brought out at times for cars to be removed. If a safety car is going to be called out to remove a car then I think this instance would have been it.

Your probably right that there was a good case for using safety car, but then it's not unusual for race to continue and recover car under double yellow.

That being said here was another incident in Germany where at the end of the race the safety car wasn't used when Sutils car got stuck on track, marshals ran across the track to get to the car

Maybe F1 has taken their eye off the ball a bit, in taking too much risk towards the end of races when they don't want to spoil the show by neutralising a race. Possibly need some clearer procedures for themselves, pre race risk assessment for making decisions on recovery without safety car, like speed of the corner, weather conditions, likely condition of track, risk to marshals, maybe they already do this.

This article from July about germany race did say "You are playing with fire Formula One....and you're eventually going to get burned"
    http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/no-safety-car/

edit: I see the FIA are looking for a report on circumstances of crash
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/11144741/Jules-Bianchi-crash-FIA-launch-urgent-investigation-into-horrific-accident-at-Japanese-Grand-Prix.html
    Charlie Whiting, the race director, was asked directly by Jean Todt, the FIA president, to compile a report into the exact circumstances of the collision during the rain-soaked Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday.
    The report is likely to be completed in the coming days, and certainly before the inaugural Russian Grand Prix in Sochi next weekend, an FIA source said, amid growing criticism of some of the safety measures surrounding the 25-year-old’s acciden

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

i scrolled down through facebook and unwittingly came across a 6s video of it, it is horrific it doesnt need to be up here.

After seeing it i saw a link to extended footage, i was interested to see the lead up. The marshals are clearly waving green flags for a good 10s before Bianchi's car went off the track, while the front-end loader was reversing. Definitely something very wierd about that.

In my opinion no large vehicle should be allowed on track until a safety car is out, it happens 75% of the time anyway.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Coulthard would always mention how unsafe he thought it was every time a tractor was on the track. You could almost feel the chill going down his spine whenever he said it in race commentary. It must be the scariest situation for a driver to be presented with. I can think of few things worse than one of those tractors to hit. The back of them is typically a lump of heavy solid steel to counterweight the lifting arm. There's nothing about them that's fragil.
    Brundle always hates seeing them. When I told my dad what happened he was disgusted. He's always had a passing interest in F1 but he's like me when he sees the recovery vehicles. It's not just the counter-weight for the crane, they're basically a disaster waiting to happen.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Gravel isnt magic though, you hit one with enough speed and you can skim over it quite easily. Have done so myself in the past. Considering where he went off there isnt too much room from a big gravel trap I dont think it would have made a huge difference.
    For F1 tracks and cars though I'd be fine with cars flipping/spinning/rolling. They lose energy that way. The run-offs help with keeping cars running, they do next to nothing for safety when it comes down to it.
    And there used to be a gravel trap there, the car would've stayed well to the right of where it ended up hitting the tractor. There's no point splitting tiny hairs for a specific incident. Few years ago at Monaco there was a lucky escape at the new chicane. IMO they still haven't done it properly but until something goes wrong no-one's gonna worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

For F1 tracks and cars though I'd be fine with cars flipping/spinning/rolling. They lose energy that way. The run-offs help with keeping cars running, they do next to nothing for safety when it comes down to it.

It's not that important for F1 cars but that is only one weekend a year. The rest of the year Tarmac makes more sense especially so for bikes, that "flipping/spinning/rolling" that gravel traps do ends up being done by a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have also just seen the crash... The impact is shocking, it is a miracle he even survived it. I really hope he is going to be ok, I like Bianchi and would love to see him in a better team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It is a nasty crash, but I have seen much more dramatic crashes in motorsport. I don't see why this forum would be censoring it. Crashes happen a lot on car racing. It shows nothing of the driver. Just the car crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Is it a good or bad thing Russia is up so soon? I'm in no mood for it at the moment.

On that track, in that corner, twenty years ago Martin Brundle narrowly escaped the same thing. He is the voice of F1 for our generation. From the beginning of his commentary career he has consistently talked about how dangerous it is. No one listened.

Three scenarios that would scare me the most if I was a driver, something coming into the cockpit, t-boning and running under something like those loaders. Was it Germany or Austria earlier this summer when a stray wheel hit Chillton's car, just missing his head. Same race Kimi flew across the track and Massa did well to avoid having a worse accident. F1 has been living a charmed life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

OSI wrote: »
    Was Silverstone. The carcass of Kimi's tyre hit Chiltons roll hoop, not a wheel. But could have been worse.

Much worse. Like Henry Surtees.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Is it a good or bad thing Russia is up so soon? I'm in no mood for it at the moment

It doesn't seem like a GP week. No one really wants to talk about it, but F1 has to move on. It always has, and always will. This is one of the few times we get a feel for what the 70's and 80's were like: exciting race, horrendous crash, and in many cases, a funeral on Wednesday.

Russia has actually gotten off lightly now. Mist people have put it's political implications out of their minds, because right now, it doesn't really matter.

Those who I feel for most are everyone in Marussia. They all need to carry on for Max, Jules, and whoever takes Jules seat in Sochi. This week won't even register with most.

guyfo wrote: »
    After seeing it i saw a link to extended footage, i was interested to see the lead up. The marshals are clearly waving green flags for a good 10s before Bianchi's car went off the track, while the front-end loader was reversing. Definitely something very wierd about that.

The green flag was out after Sutils car. No problem there. Double Waved Yellows were out through apex 1 and 2 of Dunlop, and green on exit.

walshb wrote: »
    It is a nasty crash, but I have seen much more dramatic crashes in motorsport. I don't see why this forum would be censoring it. Crashes happen a lot on car racing. It shows nothing of the driver. Just the car crashing.

It's not that simple and you know it; just the car? That car contains the driver whose life is currently is in the balance. The clip illustrates why his life is currently in the balance. The clip of the crash is out there for anyone who really wants to see it.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like a GP week. No one really wants to talk about it, but F1 has to move on. It always has, and always will. This is one of the few times we get a feel for what the 70's and 80's were like: exciting race, horrendous crash, and in many cases, a funeral on Wednesday.

Russia has actually gotten off lightly now. Mist people have put it's political implications out of their minds, because right now, it doesn't really matter.

Those who I feel for most are everyone in Marussia. They all need to carry on for Max, Jules, and whoever takes Jules seat in Sochi. This week won't even register with most.

Will someone definitely take Jules' seat? I wouldn't be surprised if they race just the one car this weekend, if they do select someone I imagine it would be Rossi but I really can't see them running a second driver right now, last thing on their minds.

It's not that simple and you know it; just the car? That car contains the driver whose life is currently is in the balance. The clip illustrates why his life is currently in the balance. The clip of the crash is out there for anyone who wants to see it.

We all want this young man to pull through. It is terrible. I just think that most decent folks can separate the crash and the person involved. F1 fans, me being one, wanted to see what happened, and how it happened. It was a crash that went completely unnoticed by all the cameras and commentators. I respect the mods decision on this, I just happen to disagree. It's there for people to see online. I see no reason why F1 fans here cannot view it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't understand anyone being so indifferent to the extremity of the accident.

Personally I don't remember as horrific an impact since the likes of Tom Pryce or Jochen Rindt. Its incredible that Bianchi was not fatally injured immediately, and that no marshall got caught up in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't understand anyone being so indifferent to the extremity of the accident.

Personally I don't remember as horrific an impact since the likes of Tom Pryce or Jochen Rindt. Its incredible that Bianchi was not fatally injured immediately, and that no marshall got caught up in it.

I don't quite get the blackout of the clip. It would appear to me that the accident was clearly not broadcast live as the action elsewhere was being broadcast and fom clearly choose not to broadcast a replay I'd say more for their own selfish reasons as anything else.
    There is nothing in the video that is disturbing. I had worse visions in my head before I saw it.
    Did bianchi have a roll hoop camera. That would likely tell alot about the impact.

• Advertisement

We all want this young man to pull through. It is terrible. I just think that most decent folks can separate the crash and the person involved. F1 fans, me being one, wanted to see what happened, and how it happened. It was a crash that went completely unnoticed by all the cameras and commentators. I respect the mods decision on this, I just happen to disagree. It's there for people to see online. I see no reason why F1 fans here cannot view it on this thread.

The problem with that is that they're not really separate, Bianchi was very much a part of it. I've seen much worse crashes in terms of severity in my time where thankfully drivers walk away unscathed or a little shaken at worst, the reason the clips of these crashes are in any way harrowing is due to the people involved in them.

Larbre34 wrote: »

That was horrible and is the exact reason I avoid footage of crashes where fatalities are involved.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

That was horrible and is the exact reason I avoid footage of crashes where fatalities are involved.:(

I just watched it there. Think ill be doing the same as yourself from now on. Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Just with regards to the yellow flags issue... some commentators suggested that perhaps because of the light being poor, that Jules could not see the yellow flags.

But as David Croft pointed out, the drivers also get flashing yellow lights on their dash display and tragically in this case, it appears Jules did not give enough heed to the flags and was simply driving too fast when a recovery vehicle and more importantly, marshals, were on the track side.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Just with regards to the yellow flags issue... some commentators suggested that perhaps because of the light being poor, that Jules could not see the yellow flags.

But as David Croft pointed out, the drivers also get flashing yellow lights on their dash display and tragically in this case, it appears Jules did not give enough heed to the flags and was simply driving too fast when a recovery vehicle and more importantly, marshals, were on the track side.

The yellow flags. Do they require drivers to not exceed a certain speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The yellow flags. Do they require drivers to not exceed a certain speed?

Double yellows meas they must be prepared to stop at any stage. From the FIA...
    Yellow flag
    Indicates danger, such as a stranded car, ahead. A single waved yellow flag warns drivers to slow down, while two waved yellow flags at the same post means that drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary. Overtaking is prohibited.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Double yellows meas they must be prepared to stop at any stage. From the FIA...

Thanks,

So there is no actual speed limit it seems.

Did he aquaplane off the track? In which case would it have made any difference whether or not he slowed down?

I was under the impression that the tyres can only clear so much water and if there's too much water you're basically a passenger regardless of speed (unless you cut the speed in half or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Thanks,

So there is no actual speed limit it seems.

You cant have a blanket waved yellow "speed limit", as every corner is different.

It would cause more incidents.

Double waved yellows rely on the driver to use his common sense with regard to what is appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Did he aquaplane off the track? In which case would it have made any difference whether or not he slowed down?
    His crash seems a bit different to the car that went before him. The previous car turned around with oversteer whereas Jules seemed to go straight off at speed. You'd have expect if he lost control of the car to arrive at that wall backwards like the car before him.

The video I saw didn't really show what happened before the crash, just the car appearing already off the road.

Advertisement