Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 15 - Japanese Grand Prix (NO FOOTAGE OF THE CRASH ALLOWED)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    For those that watched it live did sky show the incident live ?

No, no footage at all of bianci crash. We did see bianci in front of sutil as sutil spun off. According to sutil, next lap bianci had a similar accident.
    Ive just been watching the BBC now and they were too slow to cop this. I mean all the cars were parked in the pit lane before the so called pitlane reporter mentioned bianci was unaccounted for.
    brundle on sky was more on the ball, firstly commenting on the dangers of bringing tractors onto the circuit in these conditions, then thinking maybe there was an accident with a marshall cause sutil could be seen standing around and then questioning whether another car had in fact gone in there and hit the tractor. At least when it came to pictures of the marussia garage being shown we were aware of what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Hope he pulls through. If he had the right care from the start he may stand a better chance than Schumi for making a decent recovery.

I was looking forward to seeing him in a Ferrari some day as he's part of their junior program. Fingers crossed.

BBC twigged it late as per post above. Apparently SKY Deutschland were well behind the curve, reporting it a few minutes after the BBC. Some quick thinking from the tv director meant we didn't see anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

aphex™ wrote: »
    Hope he pulls through. If he had the right care from the start he may stand a better chance than Schumi for making a decent recovery.

I was looking forward to seeing him in a Ferrari some day as he's part of their junior program. Fingers crossed.

BBC twigged it late as per post above. Apparently SKY Deutschland were well behind the curve, reporting it a few minutes after the BBC. Some quick thinking from the tv director meant we didn't see anything at all.

As an organisation, the BBC can be very hesitant to report anything without having multiple sources. Quite often while listening to BBC radio, you can work out what had happened by what they are NOT saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,165 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Bianchi is out of surgery, breathing on his own, and is in the Intensive Care Unit at hospital. Next 24 hours are critical
    L'Equipe report

Lets hope he is ok

The post below says that he was unconscious but breathing on his own after the crash and on the way to hospital
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/10/05/bianchi-undergoes-operation/

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Came across a recent traffic accident on a dual carriageway recently (I was going the other way) and the emergency services had cut off the top of the whole car to extract someone from the car while holding his head steady. I understand its fairly normal procedure nowadays. Hopefully this is the case here.

From the picture I've seen, the roll hoop was destroyed on impact. It looks like the picture was taken moments after with just one doctor standing over him holding his head. They may have had to cut him out but it doesn't look like they touched the roll hoop, it looked real bad. I hope he's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Mod says no pics, fair enough (I don't get it), and it's thanked by lots (people who presumably agree)

NOW we've people talking about a steering wheel picture (same thankers from above) but they're looking at different pics so posts are all over the place, not worth reading...at all.

Why do ye want to talk about something ye don't want to see BUT are all looking for???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

As an organisation, the BBC can be very hesitant to report anything without having multiple sources. Quite often while listening to BBC radio, you can work out what had happened by what they are NOT saying.

You wouldn't need multiple sources during a live sporting event. The Sky commentator spotted something that the BBC did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

mickdw wrote: »
    No, no footage at all of bianci crash. We did see bianci in front of sutil as sutil spun off. According to sutil, next lap bianci had a similar accident.
    Ive just been watching the BBC now and they were too slow to cop this. I mean all the cars were parked in the pit lane before the so called pitlane reporter mentioned bianci was unaccounted for.
    brundle on sky was more on the ball, firstly commenting on the dangers of bringing tractors onto the circuit in these conditions, then thinking maybe there was an accident with a marshall cause sutil could be seen standing around and then questioning whether another car had in fact gone in there and hit the tractor. At least when it came to pictures of the marussia garage being shown we were aware of what was going on.

I would assume that tv networks would have had access to the same telemetry as we do with the F1 timing app which showed his car stop moving and commented that his car had stopped. The team would have definitely have known that his car had stopped.

TkbUHp6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Mod says no pics, fair enough (I don't get it), and it's thanked by lots (people who presumably agree)

NOW we've people talking about a steering wheel picture (same thankers from above) but they're looking at different pics so posts are all over the place, not worth reading...at all.

Why do ye want to talk about something ye don't want to see BUT are all looking for???
    You make a lot of silly and incorrect assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I would assume that tv networks would have had access to the same telemetry as we do with the F1 timing app which showed his car stop moving and commented that his car had stopped. The team would have definitely have known that his car had stopped.

TkbUHp6.png

The team were the first to know. They alerted the FIA that Jules didn't respond over radio, and then the marshals radioed back the same, but the medical car was already at T1.

Do remember that the app is an approximation of the telemetry. If you use it as much as I do, you'll know that the numbers are late, the cars are often stationary for a time, and sometimes aren't even displayed. It does give a good idea of the speed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,165 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

indepentant.ie, irishtimes etc and other mainstream news sources will carry the story and have some photos, but I think it's fair enough not to have them posted here when not everyone would want to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

_rebelkid wrote: »
    The team were the first to know. They alerted the FIA that Jules didn't respond over radio, and then the marshals radioed back the same, but the medical car was already at T1.

Do remember that the app is an approximation of the telemetry. If you use it as much as I do, you'll know that the numbers are late, the cars are often stationary for a time, and sometimes aren't even displayed. It does give a good idea of the speed though.

Totally agree. It's a great little app which I get good use of, but of course it doesn't always accurately represent what's happening at that particular moment in time. My point was that if this is the info that is being filtered through to the person sitting at home or in the stands watching the race and using the app, there is really no excuse for the TV stations covering the race not realising that a particular car has stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Talking about the crash, how it happened and how the driver is doing is vastly different that posting photos/videos of the crash.
    Is the url of pics OK so that people can at least talk about the same thing?

I get where you're coming from + it's usually the Boards.ie line with this sorta thing anyway but this is the Topic of the Day--> so this is Thread of the Day and the "gag" is making it pretty much a waste of time. Any other place on the Net talking about this wouldn't have these constraints, it doesn't make them wrong or bad or better, this is life, people want to talk about this. I don't get the Filter here. Never have.

"More" isin't thought of Boards for this line, first thought is "Il have to read about that somewhere else"

You make a lot of silly and incorrect assumptions.
    No. I'm 100% right.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Totally agree. It's a great little app which I get good use of, but of course it doesn't always accurately represent what's happening at that particular moment in time. My point was that if this is the info that is being filtered through to the person sitting at home or in the stands watching the race and using the app, there is really no excuse for the TV stations covering the race not realising that a particular car has stopped.

To be fair to the BBC, it was an unlucky miss in hindsight. But when you have rapidly deteriorating conditions and a World Feed showing other action, it would have been very easy to assume that the Medical car was for Sutil, as he wasn't visible to the camera at Degner at the time. The only way I knew was it quickly flashing up on the app. It was only briefly there, but there was a radio message from Sutil that confirmed he was getting out of the car. So it was then clear that it was Bianchi. The app was really buggy today, which lead to even more confusion.

Is the url of pics OK so that people can at least talk about the same thing?

I get where you're coming from + it's usually the Boards.ie line with this sorta thing anyway but this is the Topic of the Day--> so this is Thread of the Day and the "gag" is making it pretty much a waste of time. Any other place on the Net talking about this wouldn't have these constraints, it doesn't make them wrong or bad or better, this is life, people want to talk about this. I don't get the Filter here. Never have.

"More" isin't thought of Boards for this line, first thought is "Il have to read about that somewhere else"

If people want to see them, they know how to find them. I had one user ask over PM for a link, and I obliged. While I would agree with a concession for URL's, I can see where the mods are coming from. If anyone remembers Marco Simoncelli's crash in Moto GP, the broadcaster kept repeating the replays of the crash; every angle, most in slow motion and HD. I for one didn't want to continuously watch Simoncelli die. But we did. Over and over again.

We still don't know how Bianchi is going to fair after this. So it's generally accepted that we wait. We focus on Jules recovery, not the crash. There's plenty of images of it across other forums and reddit. Share it there if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

_rebelkid wrote: »
    If people want to see them, they know how to find them. I had one user ask over PM for a link, and I obliged. While I would agree with a concession for URL's, I can see where the mods are coming from.

Its the equivalent of rubbernecking - zero contribution to the motorsport forum and his first two posts here are looking for video footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Doesn't look good....

The only operable major head injuries are 1) skull fracture or 2) intracranial haemorrhage.

We know that he was unconscious throughout, it could be either one.

It's possible he might recover from this but chances are that he will be in a coma for days/weeks and it will just be a waiting game to see if he wakes up as they dial down the sedation.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Bbc reported in the last bulletin that he is in intensive care and breathing on his own. Fingers crossed he will pull through okay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's amazing how much emotion comes forth after such an incident. Hopefully he'll be driving sooner rather than later and will be spurred on by knowing what high esteem he is held in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,761 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is there a reason why sky seem to have gone and not shown the replay ? If there was a reason I understand I just didn't see or hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

jdee99 wrote: »
    Bbc reported in the last bulletin that he is in intensive care and breathing on his own. Fingers crossed he will pull through okay

They also put up a tweet saying that all that was from the lequipe reporting that he was breathing on his own so I'm not rushing to believe that seeing as it hasn't been verified four hours after it was reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Crasp wrote: »
    Doesn't look good....

The only operable major head injuries are 1) skull fracture or 2) intracranial haemorrhage.

We know that he was unconscious throughout, it could be either one.

It's possible he might recover from this but chances are that he will be in a coma for days/weeks and it will just be a waiting game to see if he wakes up as they dial down the sedation.

We really know nothing yet. I prefer to try and think of cases like Mika Hakkinen or Niki Lauda - neither of whom were initially expected to recover at all from their accidents.

Is there a reason why sky seem to have gone and not shown the replay ? If there was a reason I understand I just didn't see or hear it.

They've chosen not to until there is news from Mie about Jules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

As others have said earlier, the footage has not been released by sky or BBC or other broadcasters because it is likely they never received the footage of the accident from FOM in the first place. FOM release a standard feed to all the broadcasters who are then free to add their own audio coverage to it. It appears that FOM acted reasonably quickly to ensure coverage of the exact instance of the crash was not broadcast when they realised the seriousness of the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

antodeco wrote: »
    Th is was not typically a weather related incident. It happened to be wrong place, wrong time. I didn't know about the crash. I watched the recorded one from this morning. When I saw the crash, I could see a big plume of smoke behind the tracker a nd what I thought were a load of bags on the ground (turns out was the car). The weather added to the crash, but if it wasn't raining, that crash could easily have happened anyway.

But if a driver crashes due to track conditions (standing water, oil spill) then it stands to reason that there is a strong risk another driver will be caught out at the exact same spot by those conditions. Which calls into question the use of those tractors unless there's a safety car deployed.

If the track had been dry and it was a case of two drivers just happening to make a mistake, the odds of the two incidents happening in exactly the same place would be pretty small.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

RayM wrote: »
    We really know nothing yet. I prefer to try and think of cases like Mika Hakkinen or Niki Lauda - neither of whom were initially expected to recover at all from their accidents.

Agree with this 110%

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But if a driver crashes due to track conditions (standing water, oil spill) then it stands to reason that there is a strong risk another driver will be caught out at the exact same spot by those conditions. Which calls into question the use of those tractors unless there's a safety car deployed.

If the track had been dry and it was a case of two drivers just happening to make a mistake, the odds of the two incidents happening in exactly the same place would be pretty small.
    The double waved yellows should defend against that but yes in such wet conditions, a driver can lose it even at significantly reduced speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Really hope he gets better soon. I didn't watch the race live but recorded it and avoided the news as I didn't want spoilers about the result. Once I watched it this afternoon, I was afraid to check the news, fearing the worst.

Radio Monte Carlo are claiming that Bianchi has had another bleed on his brain, and has been put under ventilation. Now, while this is a very big possibility given the type of injuries he has received, no other person or media outlet has reported it, and no information has left the hospital. There will be no statements from the hospital until later on in the day in Japan, which is 2-5am tomorrow. It's currently approaching 5am in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

the head is one area the FIA never really considered protecting,especially after all the changes introduced following Senna's accident,then again look at Massa's 15 years later,the only difference between Senna,Massa & Bianchi is Massa was conscious after his accident,here's to seeing Jules in a Ferrari sooner rather than later

Advertisement