Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous things your teachers said in school.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

rawn wrote: »
    Yes :D

Blakestown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

When I was in second year
    Teacher: "I suppose everyone's gone down to the bookies to put a few bob on a horse, haven't they?"
    Uh, we were 14 :D

Those were the days, remember my science teacher in secondary school giving me 20 to put it on a horse for him as he had no free periods in the afternoon, he knew i would not be back after lunch but be in the bookies:D
    Would not get away with that now, world has gone too p.c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Blakestown?

Yep. Had him for JC Irish and he told me I would never pass if I didn't behave and listen to him blah blah blah. I never studied, got an A and didn't even have to stop giving him lip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

rawn wrote: »
    Yep. Had him for JC Irish and he told me I would never pass if I didn't behave and listen to him blah blah blah. I never studied, got an A and didn't even have to stop giving him lip :D

Ah good old Gach, he told us he was a former Guard. Left the Force as he only ever arrested one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Had an Art Teacher who taught us English in 2nd year. Great teacher, used to do drawings and doodles on the board about whatever we were doing.

Anyway, he would always get people to stand up and read out loud a page or two of what book we were studying. Nobody liked doing it so you would always read fast, to which he would say "Slow for the slow chaps". Always made me laugh, still does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Little Moo: "Can I go to the toilet please?"

Substitute teacher: "I don't know, can you? :cool:"

Little Moo: :confused:

(repeat until...)

Substitute: "You may go! :rolleyes:"

If there's anything worse than grown adults trying to prove their superiority over 12-year olds, it's grown adults doing so by correcting perfectly good English due to their own poor language knowledge (in what later came to learn was a very tired, clichéd way).
    I've also taken relish in explaining to my own students that "can" can be used both for permission and ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

(repeat until...)

If there's anything grown adults trying to prove their superiority over 12-year olds, it's grown adults doing so by correcting perfectly good English due to their own poor language knowledge (in what later came to learn was a very tired, clichéd way).
    I've also taken relish in explaining to my own students that "can" can be used both for permission and ability.
    I had a teacher like that for 3rd and 4th class. He seemed to take pleasure in humiliating children. He once asked me what 3 times 12 was and I replied "would it be 36?" He proceeded to do the old "Is it? Don't you know?" routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Career guidence teachers are the biggest load of bull.... we had two during my time at school and the second one just told everyone to do arts or go to an IT someone who wanted to do dentistry was told no go do arts even though he was well on for getting the points in the leaving.

Had one sub who left the room crying on multiple occasions because, god forbid, a group of 15 year olds were talking to eachother (okay we wouldnt shut up but she was certainly not cut out for teaching)

Another sub we had as a long term sub, I dont think he could string two words together never mind teach us maths! He came in, wrote the same basic equation the board and just sat there.. Needless to say we needed a few crash courses from other teachers a few weeks before our JC despite our moths of complaining to year heads etc. We were told he was a qualified teacher and we'd be fine...

Ah school, best days of our life eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

"Learn to share your lunch money/ food with your friend"

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Bonn is the capital of "West" Germany.
    Belgrade is the capital of Yugoslavia.
    Prague is the capital of Czechoslovakia.
    Moscow is the capital of the Soviet Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Back in highschool..

"If Chelsea wins you'll have no homework"

also

"Once you finish college and have a degree you've no problem finding a job"

Geee thanks! One word "recession"....

(repeat until...)

If there's anything grown adults trying to prove their superiority over 12-year olds, it's grown adults doing so by correcting perfectly good English due to their own poor language knowledge (in what later came to learn was a very tired, clichéd way).

Christ that's depressing.:(

There was a really nice, pleasant girl in my class who the 1st year history teacher liked to humiliate. She wasn't the most academically gifted and was mildly dyslexic and very shy, but tried her best and was a really nice person. I'm pretty sure the teacher would look for difficult passages and make her stand up and read them aloud, all the time looking at her with spiteful amusement and sneering when she stalled over words. She even developed a stutter that came on as soon as the teacher walked in and left as soon as he walked out. Eventually so many told our year head that he was moved to the older classes, and the next year he was gone. I feel bad we didn't do it sooner, but at that age we were afraid of attracting his attention. :(

I hate to think he might be teaching kids somewhere still. Everyone could see him enjoying it and I still feel uncomfortable thinking about it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

That's actually upsetting. Teachers do bully students at times, it's not just a thing of the corporal punishment era. Delighted the prick got moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If we've learned anything in this country in the last 25 years (which I doubt), it should be that 'moving on a problem' isn't 'solving a problem', it's 'creating a problem for someone else'.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Once got suspended for throwing a bible across the class because it's was disrespectful to "the word of the Lord", nothing to do with the actual action of throwing a book across the class!

Once had a teacher call a guy a "dyslexic fúcker" .... The guy was actually dyslexic, and to make it worse the teacher was wrong in the first place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Two elementary mathematical observations:

"master ******* if you were twice as witty you'd be a half wit"

and on matters relating to the negative:

" I have no oranges and I take six away, how many have I left"

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

An Army Instructor once told us recruits " I've taught ye all I know, and ye still know nothing."

Stinjy wrote: »
    Once had a teacher call a guy a "dyslexic fúcker" .... The guy was actually dyslexic, and to make it worse the teacher was wrong in the first place :rolleyes:

Thats so awful.

There was a teacher posting here about how she humiliated a kid when the kid asked a stupid question, and she was justifying it as a learning experience. You'd wonder what draws people to the profession if thats how some of them think.

Most teachers are great though, apart from one or two the teachers I had were dedicated and caring professionals who did their best for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭ronjo

franer1970 wrote: »
    Bonn is the capital of "West" Germany.
    Belgrade is the capital of Yugoslavia.
    Prague is the capital of Czechoslovakia.
    Moscow is the capital of the Soviet Union.

If this was pre 90s isnt it correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭josip

ronjo wrote: »
    If this was pre 90s isnt it correct?

Moscow?

josip wrote: »
    Moscow?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Speaking of capitals, I was told Rio is the capital of Brazil. It hasn't been since 1960.

Candie wrote: »
    Thats so awful.

There was a teacher posting here about how she humiliated a kid when the kid asked a stupid question, and she was justifying it as a learning experience. You'd wonder what draws people to the profession if thats how some of them think.

Most teachers are great though, apart from one or two the teachers I had were dedicated and caring professionals who did their best for us.

This guy didn't want to be a teacher, he's an old guy who is a fairly good musician but I guess never made it and needed something to do to keep paying the rent!

You do wonder why some people get into the profession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

You do wonder why some people get into the profession.
    Those who can do, those who can't ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

My geography teacher in secondary school tried to tell us that Egypt wasn't in Africa and that there are only 5 continents, absolute spa!

And I got sent outside the class for correcting a teachers spelling when I was in 1st class, she spelt sponge as spongue and obviously got incredibly embarrassed by being corrected by a 6 year old haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

History teacher who was a catholic priest:

The only thing Hitler did wrong was that he stopped short at six million.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Atoms are indivisible fundamental particles, junior cert science:eek:
    By the time I'd made it to leaving cert and honours physics they had at least conceded the existence of protons, electrons and so on but talk of quarks, gluons etc was still heresy. I wonder what they teach now?

I was told something about atoms 'wanting' to have a certain number of electrons.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I was told something about atoms 'wanting' to have a certain number of electrons.

We got this too its an easy way of working out how stuff bonds with other stuff.. apart from Hydrogen they want 8 e me thinks... its pretty useful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

We got this too its an easy way of working out how stuff bonds with other stuff.. apart from Hydrogen they want 8 e me thinks... its pretty useful!

I was threatened with detention for asking about the mechanics of it.

Advertisement