Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Post Season Thread

Options
  • 01-10-2014 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Thread to discuss the playoffs...

Great start last night. Just watched the highlights this morning and it was back and forth all game. So much for the low scoring game that the experts were predicting. Let's hope it's an omen for things to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think it's probably safe to say that's not what Billy Beane traded for Jon Lester for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I think it's probably safe to say that's not what Billy Beane traded for Jon Lester for.
    Definitely not. He didn't pitch well and was left in too long. The As may pay in the long run for going all in this year and not winning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Which is why I hate one off games. If the WC is now a thing for good, make it best of 3, the next round best of 5 and the final series and the WS best of 7. A one game decider makes a mockery of the game and the 5 man rotation, small sample sizes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

mod9maple wrote: »
    Which is why I hate one off games. If the WC is now a thing for good, make it best of 3, the next round best of 5 and the final series and the WS best of 7. A one game decider makes a mockery of the game and the 5 man rotation, small sample sizes etc.

There's too many games in baseball already. The WC game is fantastic. You don't need to be in front of your TV for 5 straight nights. One game, guaranteed drama. I can only imagine that it has been a hit for the average sports fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Praying the Giants don't go all the way again. They have a knack post season winning though.
    Bumgarner was good last night but the Pirates just never got going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Billy Beane “if we don’t have Jon Lester, I don’t think we make the playoffs.”
    I guess he has to say that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Any predictions lads?

I'm thinking a Tigers-Nats World Series with the Tigers winning it out.

Looking forward to tonights games.

You just can't beat play off baseball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Morrison J wrote: »
    Any predictions lads?

I'm thinking a Tigers-Nats World Series with the Tigers winning it out.

Looking forward to tonights games.

You just can't beat play off baseball.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the Nats. They hit from top to bottom and their pitching has been great. Of course, anything can happen in the playoffs and they'll probably be swept by the Giants.

Not a bad start for Nelson Cruz and Baltimore.

Early start in the morning so can't stick with it, but would love to watch this game. The atmosphere sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

How could you leave this?

Unbelievable start!

• Advertisement

Not a bad start for Nelson Cruz and Baltimore.

Early start in the morning so can't stick with it, but would love to watch this game. The atmosphere sounds amazing.
    Crowd willed that one out! Now the 2 Martinez boys have hit one out, might be a night for the long ball...
    Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Praying the Giants don't go all the way again. They have a knack post season winning though.
    Bumgarner was good last night but the Pirates just never got going.
    Well its an even year and the Giants have not lost a post season series under Bochy...

Morrison J wrote: »
    How could you leave this?

Unbelievable start!

I know. What a start. 3 homers already. I'm gonna stay for another inning or two

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭JohnHenry

I like the Nats aswell, good balance through out, great lead off man. So important to get that lead off guy on base to put a bit of doubt in the pitchers mind. I think the Giants losing Pagan is a huge blow for them but if Peavy pitches well in Game 1 and a few more step up with bumgarner, always a dangerous team. I think the giants real strength is the bullpen. Two great lefties in affelt and lopez and proven big game closer (now set up) in Romo.
    should be a great postseason.

I've never really wanted to live in the States but around this time of the year I always think to myself that I wouldn't mind being in the same time zone. Would love to have these games on at a more reasonable hour.

Anyone planning on doing a marathon stretch this evening and watching the 4 games? I'd love to give it a go but I don't think it would go down well and I'll get dirty looks but hopefully I'll get to see a couple of hours of the first 2 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭JohnHenry

I'm planning a 5 hour NLDS session tonight from 8pm. Strasburg/Peavy followed by Wainwright/Kershaw, doesn't get much better than that :)

Runs galore in Baltimore again!

For a season that was dominated by pitching, funny to see hitters having the best of things so far in the playoffs (small sample size admittedly)

Detroit bullpen is a joke

Best day game in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Delighted!

The Tigers Bullpen is a disaster. It's hard to see how they come back from this as they can't be comfortable handing over any lead to Joba, Soria et al.

Benimar wrote: »
    Delighted!

The Tigers Bullpen is a disaster. It's hard to see how they come back from this as they can't be comfortable handing over any lead to Joba, Soria et al.

Joba has been a disaster for years. I don't trust him in any situation. Hughes has had a fantastic time since leaving New York. Joba is still Joba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Would be nice to see theNats come back here. 3-2 down in the 8th

Vin Scully is the audio overlay option on MLB.tv.
    I'll take some of that, thank you!

Detroit bullpen is a joke
    I didn't see the game but checking out the box score, why wasn't Sanchez left in :confused:
    8-10 wrote: »
    Would be nice to see theNats come back here. 3-2 down in the 8th
    With this loss the Nats are kind of in a must win situation tomorrow with Bumgarner due to go in game 3...

Coeus wrote: »
    I didn't see the game but checking out the box score, why wasn't Sanchez left in :confused:

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 3h hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

The Royals do it in extra innings again. That's 3 games in a row. The last two on HRs, even more remarkable as the were ranked last in HRs during the season.

If they were to finish the job, as an O's fan I'd be very pleased. If we keep winning we would have home field advantage in the ALCS and WS (if we get there).

Watch the Tigers win the next 3 after I post this!!

Benimar wrote: »
    The Royals do it in extra innings again. That's 3 games in a row. The last two on HRs, even more remarkable as the were ranked last in HRs during the season.

If they were to finish the job, as an O's fan I'd be very pleased. If we keep winning we would have home field advantage in the ALCS and WS (if we get there).

Watch the Tigers win the next 3 after I post this!!

That was a crazy night all around last night. Especially, the Dodgers/Cardinals game. Surely the Royals can't continue to win every game in extras can they?

Surely the Royals can't continue to win every game in extras can they?
    Maybe the Royals are the team of destiny this postseason. An O's v Royals series for the American league would be awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Nats and Giants had the longest game in mlb post season history last night. 18 innings and around 6 and half hours. Thankfully after all that the Giants got the win and I could finally go to sleep a happy man.

Nats and Giants had the longest game in mlb post season history last night. 18 innings and around 6 and half hours. Thankfully after all that the Giants got the win and I could finally go to sleep a happy man.

That looked like an amazing game alright. The Giants down to their final out and nearly winning it there and then but Posey gets thrown out at the plate. i see Matt Williams is getting killed in the press over taking out Zimmerman. I don't know, Storen hadn't given up a run in his last 17 save chances so I think he was just unlucky as opposed to it being a bad decision.

I love stupid stats and apparently Tanner Roark was 27 when he gave up the winning HR but 28 when the game ended.

I was only joking when I said
    I'd put my money on the Nats. Of course, anything can happen in the playoffs and they'll probably be swept by the Giants.

but with Bumgarner going tomorrow, it might actually come true.

• Advertisement

That looked like an amazing game alright. The Giants down to their final out and nearly winning it there and then but Posey gets thrown out at the plate. i see Matt Williams is getting killed in the press over taking out Zimmerman. I don't know, Storen hadn't given up a run in his last 17 save chances so I think he was just unlucky as opposed to it being a bad decision.
    If I'm Williams I'm leaving Zimm in there for one more batter. He is probably the hottest pitcher in MLB at the moment and was cruising. Bringing in Storen in that spot was questionable after what happened in 2012.

Must say the play-off games have been great so far. Raucous crowds, tight games and lots of extra innings :)

Advertisement