Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Amerika wrote: »
    And which countries has the US unilaterally (without the support of European countries) invaded?

Panama.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I look forward to your providing the same treatment to her as you did Sanders with how much her changes will cost vs how much they'll take in.

I've looked, but the figures are unavailable at the current time. But I’m sure the MSM is feverishly crunching those numbers at the moment in order to use in their attacks against her.
    A penis measuring contest with Russia does sound worthwhile though.
    Would be kind of a hard thing to pull off for Carly, dontcha think? :)

Brian? wrote: »
    Panama.

I though Noriega had declared that a state of war existed between the U.S. and Panama... and he threatened the lives of the approximately 35,000 U.S. citizens living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I've looked, but the figures are unavailable at the current time. But I’m sure the MSM is feverishly crunching those numbers at the moment in order to use in their attacks against her.

Would be kind of a hard thing to pull off for Carly, dontcha think? :)

She can just buy a big gun to compensate. A few healthcare cuts to make sure its bigger than Russia's. The American people will surely thank her.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Their direct competitor. Dell. They actually grew...so..Michael Dell. Apple kick started their iPod come back too.

She makes excuses.

How's Microsoft doing now? How's HP doing now? While I wouldn't entirely blame her for where HP are now it was during her time in charge that the PC\Hardware business began it's down turn. She needed to be decisive and she wasn't. She instead bought Compaq another PC\Hardware company. She made the claim last night that revenue increased hugely..which is true because they gobbled up Compaqs revenue...

She laid off tens of thousands of employees and failed to diversify the company under her reign. She was a bad CEO.

Dell on the other hand did diversify. They kicked a$$ in the hardware side of things with their Just In Time business model but saw the writing on the wall. They made software acquisitions and now have a base to build from.

Mark Hurd purchased some software companies. Ditto, Leo Apoetheker but it was too late at that stage. They needed the edge earlier. You can't buy a company and integrate it seamlessly in less than 2 years. You can see that with VMware and Citrix now. There's teething problems. HP have tried and failed with their public cloud offering...they needed better leadership of the last 15 years and they haven't had it. And that includes from Carly. She may be one of the worst because she bought Compaq and didn't diversify the company.

Lets keep within the years Fiorina was at the helm of HP. Who cares about growth... As an investor, what was the companies you listed stock charts during those years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The debate last night made be embarrassed to be an American taxpayer. It's a two party system so this is the best that we can do?

Ben Carson raved about Yuma County and how they handle the 'immigration' problem. I live in Arizona. Hundreds of people die trying to cross the desert into Arizona each year. They talked only about the economic impact of migrants and never once mentioned the actual human suffering involved and how to help fellow humans.

Trump wants to deport all illegals and have them apply to come back legally. He also wants to build a stronger border structure. Nothing about the human side of things at all.

Many have claimed they will repeal Obamacare. The only people I have heard complain about Obamacare since it's inception are politicians and some Doctors. Most Americans have either not been effected by it or have benefitted from it. I can't bear thinking what it will be like if they pull it and we have to go through this healthcare dance again. They need to focus more efforts on ending the corporate element between hospitals, doctors, insurance companies and drug companies

Mike Huckabee has said he will make gay marriage illegal at a federal level. He will also make abortion illegal at a federal level. Trumps big boast was that he can get what he says done because he's a businessman and no doesn't matter. He buys influence. Jeb Bush suggested Margaret Thatcher for the $10 bill. Almost all of them would tear up the agreement with Iran.

It's all a dog and pony show. How many times did they mention Obama? How many times did they mention Hillary? How many times did they mention Sanders? (I don't think I heard his name once)

It's rigged. There's no democracy in the United States. Just the illusion of it.

Lets keep within the years Fiorina was at the helm of HP. Who cares about growth... As an investor, what was the companies you listed stock charts during those years?

Ok during her time. Massive downturn, massive lay offs, bad acquisitions and her getting fired.

Check out Apples stock history. It began to grow in 2004,2005,2006 etc. Until this year when it fell.

For Dell, it's tougher to find because they smartly decided to become private again. They made a few acquisitions. Went private, made a few more and now they are hugely successful again.

She can just buy a big gun to compensate. A few healthcare cuts to make sure its bigger than Russia's. The American people will surely thank her.
    Actually, its Western European countries that will surely thank her.

Ok during her time. Massive downturn, massive lay offs, bad acquisitions and her getting fired.

That's what happened to the other companies you listed? That was the question, you realize.

Actually, its Western European countries that will surely thank her.

A US president which prioritises European people before her own.

Cant say I would be all for that if I was an American citizen, suppose as an Irish citizen I'm all for it! Maybe the US tax payer can pay off Ireland's debt for us?

• Advertisement

A US president which prioritises European people before her own.

Cant say I would be all for that if I was an American citizen, suppose as an Irish citizen I'm all for it! Maybe the US tax payer can pay off Ireland's debt for us?
    Why not... just ask Obama? He'll probably say sure! We'll just add it to our $19 Trillion debt already, of which Obama has added over $9 Trillion of that number. (Is there even enough money in the world to pay it off?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Why not... just ask Obama? He'll probably say sure! We'll just add it to our $19 Trillion debt already, of which Obama has added over $9 Trillion of that number. (Is there even enough money in the world to pay it off?)

In order to fend of a devastating depression the roots of which go back to the last Republican in office.

In order to fend of a devastating depression the roots of which go back to the last Republican in office.

The roots go back much farther that that... back to Jimmy Carter and his Community Reinvestment Act. (Or are you talking about the Great Depression with Hoover... almost 90 years ago?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭eire4

And which countries has the US unilaterally (without the support of European countries) invaded?

and now your response tries to dodge the point of American arrogance and a shoot first ask question later attitude to insert a word unilaterally that I never used.

For instance after the invasion of Iraq based of course on lies and manipulation we have since seen a 600% increase in terrorism according to a recent study by Paul Cruickshank. According to the Guardian we have had a 5 fold increase in terrorism fatalities since the invasion.

America has real serious inequality and poverty issues at home. Maybe it needs a president more concerned about the welfare of its own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The debate last night made be embarrassed to be an American taxpayer. It's a two party system so this is the best that we can do?

Ben Carson raved about Yuma County and how they handle the 'immigration' problem. I live in Arizona. Hundreds of people die trying to cross the desert into Arizona each year. They talked only about the economic impact of migrants and never once mentioned the actual human suffering involved and how to help fellow humans.

Trump wants to deport all illegals and have them apply to come back legally. He also wants to build a stronger border structure. Nothing about the human side of things at all.

Many have claimed they will repeal Obamacare. The only people I have heard complain about Obamacare since it's inception are politicians and some Doctors. Most Americans have either not been effected by it or have benefitted from it. I can't bear thinking what it will be like if they pull it and we have to go through this healthcare dance again. They need to focus more efforts on ending the corporate element between hospitals, doctors, insurance companies and drug companies

Mike Huckabee has said he will make gay marriage illegal at a federal level. He will also make abortion illegal at a federal level. Trumps big boast was that he can get what he says done because he's a businessman and no doesn't matter. He buys influence. Jeb Bush suggested Margaret Thatcher for the $10 bill. Almost all of them would tear up the agreement with Iran.

It's all a dog and pony show. How many times did they mention Obama? How many times did they mention Hillary? How many times did they mention Sanders? (I don't think I heard his name once)

It's rigged. There's no democracy in the United States. Just the illusion of it.

Seriously? How does he plan on overruling the Supreme Court decision then?

This also reminds me of how moronic Huckabee and Cruz were when they backed up Kim Davis who, if you forget about her religious beliefs and all that, broke the law and ignored the SC decision repeatedly.

Some people will literally do anything to get elected.

Is Obama running for a third term? Didnt think that was possible but he keeps getting brought up.

Im still confused why a person would support increasing military spending for the benefit of other countries. But hey, US politics is more about **** slinging than actually improving the country anyway.

You're great for the Obama-bashing, Amerika. But I think you forgot that your beloved Ronald Reagan increased the debt by 186% during his reign. I mentioned in this post which you must've skipped over.

That's what happened to the other companies you listed? That was the question, you realize.

Which companies?

You're great for the Obama-bashing, Amerika. But I think you forgot that your beloved Ronald Reagan increased the debt by 186% during his reign. I mentioned in this post which you must've skipped over.

What... I'm not allowed to comment on the worst president in US history?

Why would I feel the need to comment on it if I agree with you? And yes, he did increase the debt by $1.86 Trillion over 8 years (compared to Obama’s expected $10 Trillion). Did Reaganomics work? With 20 years of prosperity, and a rebuilt military, one would have to say yes. So, what has Obama’s $10 Trillion debt given us?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

About the only thing in the US Constitution that the federal government IS actually responsible for is providing for the common defense

The other is General Welfare, but you always pretend that doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

Seriously? How does he plan on overruling the Supreme Court decision then?

This also reminds me of how moronic Huckabee and Cruz were when they backed up Kim Davis who, if you forget about her religious beliefs and all that, broke the law and ignored the SC decision repeatedly.

Some people will literally do anything to get elected.

Huckabee backed her again last night. I forget exactly what it was but he drew a comparison between her and some other branches...dang, can't remember!! Basically stating if others can do it such and such a way, she should be able to and he would stand behind her...

Overheal wrote: »

We've gone over this already. You clearly don't understand the General Welfare clause. It is to pay for the military. That is why it is located where it is in the US Constitution.

Overheal wrote: »

And tracking unemployment and ensuring the Welfare system is adequate.

Today Irelands unemployment rate is 9.5% in a system in which you don't get cut off.

The US is about 5.1%. About 3.5 million Americas experience homelessness each year...if you consider they would not be counted in the unemployment figures here. That would bring it up to about 8%. Then count those who are not working and are in different situations. Bernie Sanders claimed that the real unemployment rate of the US is more likely to be 11.5%

I'm not so sure it's that high but I'd bet it's not too far off.

Americas current system isn't working too well...

We've gone over this already. You clearly don't understand the General Welfare clause. It is to pay for the military. That is why it is located where it is in the US Constitution.

....What about social security?....What about the Federal kitty towards state subsidies? (Not that it's much, look at Michigan)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭eire4

Why would I feel the need to comment on it if I agree with you? And yes, he did increase the debt by $1.86 Trillion over 8 years (compared to Obama’s expected $10 Trillion). Did Reaganomics work? With 20 years of prosperity, and a rebuilt military, one would have to say yes. So, what has Obama’s $10 Trillion debt given us?

Sure Reganomics worked if you were already at or near the top of the financial heap. But for the majority of Americans it was the begining of the stagnation in wages and watching the wealthy gather more and more of the wealth of America for themselves.

I would've thought Jimmy Carter would take that title... In my opinion, Nixon is within a shout for being the worst.

So you agree with the points I made about Reagan, yet still think he's the 3rd best ever? You really must be in love with the man so...

Considering Obama's spending was designed to stop the slide and begin the recovery, I don't blame him fully for increasing the debt. After all, the crash was caused by the deregulation Reagan started; the costs of which weren't fully felt until after 2008. Republicans seem to forget how deep in the sh*t America was when Obama was elected. Bush got out at the best possible time, because it would be up to Obama to clean up the mess and aim to spend his way to recovery, and take the blame for it from Republicans of course.

....What about social security?....What about the Federal kitty towards state subsidies? (Not that it's much, look at Michigan)
    The US Constitution did not state the federal government was responsible for Social Security. It states the federal government is responsible in providing for the common defense.

Define work and define prosperity. Who has prospered?

There's many, many economists that point to legislation that Reagan passed being the catalyst to the inequality in America today and the damnation of the middle class...

So, no..I wouldn't say we've prospered. He 'rebuilt' the military in that, Carter drastically cut military spending. Where as Reagan increased it and also allowed the introduction of the institutionalized lobbying powers that are currently destroying American democracy

The US Constitution did not state the federal government was responsible for Social Security. It states the federal government is responsible in providing for the common defense.

That's a relief. So when the candidates say they will raise the retirement age for social security, it's not in their wheelhouse at all. What's odd to me, though is the number of deductions on my pay slip that begin with the prefix FED

• Advertisement

That's a relief. So when the candidates say they will raise the retirement age for social security, it's not in their wheelhouse at all. What's odd to me, though is the number of deductions on my pay slip that begin with the prefix FED
    What is so hard to understand that the federal government is not constitutionally bound to provide it, as they are for the common defense. If we allow the federal government to overstep it's authority, then shame on us, as in Obamacare without a Constitutional Amendment. But the government cannot shirk it's responsibility to provide for our common defense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement