Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The Trump Comedy Show rolls on with its latest targets emerging as Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson.

"Look at that face!" [...] "Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president." Trump said of Fiorina, while Carson, one of the top neurosurgeons in the world and the first to separate conjoined twins at the head, was just "an OK doctor".

I swear, I don't think I've facepalmed at as many things said by a candidate since Palin, and even then I don't think she's as big a clown as Donald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Sanders takes the lead in Iowa and New Hampshire polls! Looks very promising I'm calling it now! http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/10/bernie-sanders-tops-hillary-clinton-iowa-polls

Bernie 2016 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Why is boards.ie being treated as a colony of America, commenting about the US presidential election? The election of the next president in the US is important to the world yet the entire forum is being dominated by Americans talking as if how it matters to Ireland is irrelevant. The intricacies of American politics have no bearing on the people of Ireland. I'm in Dublin not in Wisconsin I don't attend Bernie Sanders rallies and the Tea Party Republicans have nothing to do with most Irish peoples lives. Does it impact us on foreign policy, banking and US military you bet since we have US personnel in Shannon. Boards.ie has got to get its act together this forum is not to be used by Americans at the expense of Irish users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Why is boards.ie being treated as a colony of America, commenting about the US presidential election? The election of the next president in the US is important to the world yet the entire forum is being dominated by Americans talking as if how it matters to Ireland is irrelevant. The intricacies of American politics have no bearing on the people of Ireland. I'm in Dublin not in Wisconsin I don't attend Bernie Sanders rallies and the Tea Party Republicans have nothing to do with most Irish peoples lives. Does it impact us on foreign policy, banking and US military you bet since we have US personnel in Shannon. Boards.ie has got to get its act together this forum is not to be used by Americans at the expense of Irish users.

What? That isn't even coherent?

I haven't a notion what you are on about.

There are plenty of posters who are American or live/have lived in America, but there are also some, like myself, who are Irish and don't live in America, but follow US politics quite a bit because it is far more interesting than Irish politics imo.

I've never once been given the response of 'oh you're Irish, why do you care?' or 'what would you know about US politics? You're Irish' from posters whom I disagree with.

This forum is well moderated and I'm glad that boards has a US politics forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Its a US politics section of a politics forum, open to everybody to post in. People like discussing all types of politics even if it doesn't have much day to day impact on their lives.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I haven't a notion what you are on about.

There are plenty of posters who are American or live/have lived in America, but there are also some, like myself, who are Irish and don't live in America, but follow US politics quite a bit because it is far more interesting than Irish politics imo.

I've never once been given the response of 'oh you're Irish, why do you care?' or 'what would you know about US politics? You're Irish' from posters whom I disagree with.

This forum is well moderated and I'm glad that boards has a US politics forum.

I am interested in US politics as well not like this though. The forum is full of Americans talking about intricate details that have nothing to do with Ireland not even slightly. China & Mexico is as much important as some of what goes for American high politics. Fiorina, Huckabee and Cruz are campaigning in America about American issues. I love discussing America as part of international politics but lately Boards.ie is giving too much accommodation to American stories. For example their are many elections taking place this year in the Hispanic Americas. Is the President of Brazil not worth our attention?

I am interested in US politics as well not like this though. The forum is full of Americans talking about intricate details that have nothing to do with Ireland not even slightly. China & Mexico is as much important as some of what goes for American high politics. Fiorina, Huckabee and Cruz are campaigning in America about American issues. I love discussing America as part of international politics but lately Boards.ie is giving too much accommodation to American stories. For example their are many elections taking place this year in the Hispanic Americas. Is the President of Brazil not worth our attention?

You do know you're posting in the 'US Politics' forum, right? Why would anyone post about China or Mexico in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,977 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nobody posts in the mustard forum thinking "ah, but how does Grey Poupon affect the Irish?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I take it this was somewhat aimed at me. I'm a US citizen but also granted Irish citizen status by law (I'm what they call an anchor baby over here ;)). So, sorry pal, I'm not going anywhere (unless that is... the Black Swan decides to use her katana on me :))

I also post in American Football and Baseball (American). You targeting them next? :)

• Advertisement

You do know you're posting in the 'US Politics' forum, right? Why would anyone post about China or Mexico in this forum?

It is a US forum on an Irish site. You would imagine that the content would relate to issues that impact us in a very material way. For example what is Bernie Sanders policy on Shannon airport, never mentioned. Do any of the GOP front runners have any designs pertaining to the stance with Ireland on taxation. We host 90% of MNC from the US?

Amerika wrote: »
    I take it this was somewhat aimed at me. I'm a US citizen but also granted Irish citizen status by law (I'm what they call an anchor baby over here ;)). So, sorry pal, I'm not going anywhere (unless that is... the Black Swan decides to use her katana on me :))

I also post in American Football and Baseball (American). You targeting them next? :)

I am not trying to offend anyone it's just I see a forum dedicated to American politics yet it has nothing to offer in terms of substance to the Irish debate concerning these issues. I feel the Americans are having a little debate by themselves.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Go start a thread on Brazil then in the main forum.

Mod:
    Any more derailing the thread and you'll be banned. Nobody is forcing you to read or post in it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This morning on MSNBC (no friend to the GOP) they were reporting on a new national poll that showed Trump, Carson and Bush all would now beat out Clinton in a head to head race.

aside... I’m not trying to derail this, but I think there is a point worth noting here. It is good for boards.ie that Americans visit and post in the US Politics forum (or anywhere else here) as it brings in ad revenues. I see adds when I log in and even more so when I’m not logged in and just browsing. They are all ads from companies or organizations in the USA. I guess we Americans are targeted through our IP addresses. Therefore Americans do help out the Irish with boards.ie by bringing in ad revenues.

This morning on MSNBC (no friend to the GOP) they were reporting on a new national poll that showed Trump, Carson and Bush all would now beat out Clinton in a head to head race.

Really? Because the latest MSNBC/Telemundo/Marist poll shows Clinton ahead of Trump 53%-40% and 49%-45% ahead of Bush.

Rick Perry is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bit disappointed that none of the top ten of the Republican challengers have been demoted to the earlier time slot in the CNN debates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Bit disappointed that none of the top ten of the Republican challengers have been demoted to the earlier time slot in the CNN debates.
    The debate is in name only. You cannot have a rigourous debate with that horde of candidates.

Saw Trump on Jimmy Fallon last night. He offered no plan to improve domestic or international affairs, only give me the job. He played along with Fallon well, and unlike the other GOP contenders, Trump is an entertainer and understands that medium. It's Trump's grasp of entertainment that allows him to lead. He has no substance or content to offer, just brash mob entertainment appeal. Trump would make The Crowd Gustav Le Bon and King Fish Huey Long proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Overheal wrote: »
    Rick Perry is out.
    Rick Perry was still in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rick Perry is out.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Rick Perry was still in?

Back in 2011 Rick Perry's political adviser told him not to run: “I prayed last night and asked the Lord to support my candidacy, and He said no.” Was this the same adviser that told him to withdraw today, or was it his poor performance in the polls, or both?

• Advertisement

10pt lead in Iowa and 32 pt lead in New Hampshire for Bernie. This is getting bad for Hillary.

dems-early-states-124808.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

10pt lead in Iowa and 32 pt lead in New Hampshire for Bernie. This is getting bad for Hillary.

dems-early-states-124808.png

Yeah but places where Bernie is leading NH and Iowa are far more left leaning than the rest of of the county. If you look at SC she way ahead. And I can imagine that in the big states (where the big numbers of votes come from) eg NY and California she will wipe the floor with him. These places are small potatoes but I suppose you have to take into account the Big M ( momentum) and he has that for now...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Yeah but places where Bernie is leading NH and Iowa are far more left leaning than the rest of of the county. If you look at SC she way ahead. And I can imagine that in the big states (where the big numbers of votes come from) eg NY and California she will wipe the floor with him. These places are small potatoes but I suppose you have to take into account the Big M ( momentum) and he has that for now...

I find it strange to talk about momentum before a single primary has been held.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I find it strange to talk about momentum before a single primary has been held.

True, but I don't think any candidate would be displeased with a considerable lead in the states where the first 2 primaries will be held. The important thing is that Bernie is making the news and his name is getting out there for the right reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

ECO_Mental wrote: »

The latest California poll puts Clinton at 42% and Bernie at 26%, however this included a significant oversample of latino voters. Considering California is one of the last states to vote and that the main reason Bernie isn't doing as well with minorities is because of the lack of name recognition, I think he has an excellent shot of taking California.

Left leaning or not, the majority of americans agree with him on the economic issues at the core of his campaign, and he's even starting to attract some republican attention. Here's an excellent article on the matter.

Black Swan wrote: »
    The debate is in name only. You cannot have a rigourous debate with that horde of candidates.

Saw Trump on Jimmy Fallon last night. He offered no plan to improve domestic or international affairs, only give me the job. He played along with Fallon well, and unlike the other GOP contenders, Trump is an entertainer and understands that medium. It's Trump's grasp of entertainment that allows him to lead. He has no substance or content to offer, just brash mob entertainment appeal. Trump would make The Crowd Gustav Le Bon and King Fish Huey Long proud.

And Hillary's plan is... ?

She's still buried under her email drama.

She's still buried under her email drama.
    That's the excuse? And there is no email scandal according to Hillary. I guess that’s the problem sometimes with coronations.... It seems the uprising isn’t always a peasant surprise.

That's the excuse? And there is no email scandal according to Hillary. I guess that’s the problem sometimes with coronations.... It seems the uprising isn’t always a peasant surprise.

You know, I dislike Hillary, granted not as much as you do but I still don't think she'd be a good President, but this whole 'coronation' talk is a bit ridiculous imo. Whether it has undertones about the Democrats being tyrants I don't know, although it wouldn't surprise me as it is typical Tea Party rhetoric.

A few months ago, a Bush v Clinton face-off looked a very safe bet for 2016. That looks to have changed now, and although Clinton has had her e-mail fiasco, Bush has also slipped dramatically in the polls when he looked to be odds-on for the nomination before. Where's his 'coronation' talk?

6 months ago, nobody took Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump as serious candidates, and although my opinion on the latter hasn't changed much, this election looks set to be some sort of revolt against establishment politics IF it lasts well into the primaries. Neither centrist Republicans nor centrist Dems are happy with the polls right now and as much as you might like to slag Hillary for her email fiasco and poor polling, Jeb Bush's fall from grace has been equally remarkable.

• Advertisement

Nah that's just the reality, in spite of how people feel about it, her campaign is dominated by the topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement