Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying by boss

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I don't think the OP's son is being bullied but I do think the employer is being completely and stupidly inflexible here. And that their attitude is going to lose them an employee. But good enough for them.

The employer could be a descendent of Genghis Khan and OP could be the next Mark Zuckerberg but if his employer insists in him staying until his contracted finish time, then OP can do it or try to find a job with more flexibility. At least we all agree, he is not being bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

beauf wrote: »

Solution is to find a better job.

And insist at interview that whatever is in the contract, he is allowed to do what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

davo10 wrote: »
    And insist at interview that whatever is in the contract, he is allowed to do what he wants.

Not at all. However given the nature of his work his employer is being very shortsighted not showing some flexability. He does not work on a sales, ops or support team. There will rarely be anything that someone in his role will have to finish by COB, or 'right now'. So 5 minutes here is the same as 5 minutes there. Employers who treat their employees well engender respect and loyalty and people are far more likely to go the extra mile for them. Being inflexible creates a work to rule mentality where there is a stampede for the lift at 5.30 and no one will lift an additional finger willingly. It is far easier to retain a happy employee than replace one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

In my first job, I decided to rent even though it was only a 40 minue drive as I wanted to always make sure I was on time. I also worked many evenings till after 8pm and never left before 6pm.

If it is your son's first job the chances are that he is learning many aspects of the workplace and building up experience. I would take the comments that he is the only one that can get a design up online with a pinch of salt. The company was well established presumably before he arrived.

If there is a compelling eason why your son needs to get home then he is in the wrong job and needs to get one that suits his outside interests or buy a car as someone suggested. If it is a matter of convenience then he should accept that he has to work his contracted hours and just figure out his best commute while doing that. He might be able to leave, say one or two days a week ealy and stay later the other days.

The other advice I would give is for him to possibly stay the extra time and take the pressure off and use the time saved to his own advantage and start studying. There are loads of free online courses out there and all areas associated with I.T. need ongoing training to even stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Sounds to me like the employer is being a dick about it. He gets in early yet gets no credit for that. I presume the people he is working for and with are adults. I'm sure he would stay beyond 5 if something critical was going on. Cuts both ways.

OP - he's better off elsewhere if this is how they treat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I can never understand issues like this every where I worked I rarely finished on time and if I was always at my desk for 9.00am or whatever. Having said that if I needed to leave early or start later, it was never an issue if my work was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Lux23 wrote: »
    I can never understand issues like this every where I worked I rarely finished on time and if I was always at my desk for 9.00am or whatever. Having said that if I needed to leave early or start later, it was never an issue if my work was finished.

But leaving 5 minutes early EVER day?

Taking the michael if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I guess some people focus entirely on clock watching. Others productivity is the critical part "if my work was finished".

Advertisement