Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla

Options
  • 29-09-2014 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Are there any Tesla cars on the roads or in showrooms in Ireland? I'd love to see one or speak to someone who owns one.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

There are no Tesla stores in Ireland at the moment. The nearest ones are in London (Manchester coming soon).

Three superchargers are planned for 2015 (http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger) and I would be surprised if there is not at least one Tesla store in Ireland by then.

To see a Model S in action, I suggest you watch Bjørn Nyland's videos on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG1QcV31eoSaX4rE8avQL4A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Are there any Tesla cars on the roads or in showrooms in Ireland? I'd love to see one or speak to someone who owns one.

Thanks.

One of the lads on Irish EV owners (FB) has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Thanks.

I believe Joe Mc Carthy irishevowners.com drives a Tesla in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Tesla is starting to roll out a battery swopping service before the end of the year. The operation only takes 90 seconds and will cost about 60 to 80 dollars in US and will be next to supercharger network

noelf wrote: »
    Tesla is starting to roll out a battery swopping service before the end of the year. The operation only takes 90 seconds and will cost about 60 to 80 dollars in US and will be next to supercharger network

I doubt battery swap will take off, if it didn;t in cars with 70-80 miles range I can;'t see it with cars that have 260-300 miles range.

I don't think I'd like the idea of taking someone else's battery.

That's a lot of cash for 260-300 miels range.

If the super charger can give 200 miels range in 30 mins I see no problem with that ,especially if I have 260-300 miles to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I saw a blue Roadster last weekend. Didn't think there was any in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

I doubt battery swap will take off, if it didn;t in cars with 70-80 miles range I can;'t see it with cars that have 260-300 miles range.

I don't think I'd like the idea of taking someone else's battery.

That's a lot of cash for 260-300 miels range.

If the super charger can give 200 miels range in 30 mins I see no problem with that ,especially if I have 260-300 miles to begin with.

I get your point, that there's no need for it if you already have 260-300 miles range (especially in Ireland, where most journeys would be less than that anyway).

I don't understand your point of taking someone else's battery though. Isn't this supposed to be your own "extra" fully charged battery that you would carry around for emergencies? Something like an extra swappable battery for a smartphone (non-iPhone smartphone, before I get any stick for that comment!).

Having said that, I still agree it would be a lot of cash for an extra 260-300 mile range. Unless you drive from say Waterford to Donegal & back on a regular basis, without the time for a recharge, i don't feel it's worth it.

Out of interest, does anyone know how expensive these swappable batteries would be?

wtawfick wrote: »

I don't understand your point of taking someone else's battery though. Isn't this supposed to be your own "extra" fully charged battery that you would carry around for emergencies? Something like an extra swappable battery for a smartphone (non-iPhone smartphone, before I get any stick for that comment!).

What I mean is, if someone has a battery with less capacity than yours, say if yours were new and the swap battery was 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I get your point, that there's no need for it if you already have 260-300 miles range (especially in Ireland, where most journeys would be less than that anyway).

Having said that, I still agree it would be a lot of cash for an extra 260-300 mile range. Unless you drive from say Waterford to Donegal & back on a regular basis, without the time for a recharge, i don't feel it's worth it.

Out of interest, does anyone know how expensive these swappable batteries would be?

How big and heavy would a swappable "spare battery " be , the weight could reduce your range, as well as being awkward to move about ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I don't know how the battery can be "your own battery " ? I missed that bit.

You drive in swap the battery for a battery someone previously left in, that gets charged, you pick it up and the battery that was in your car gets charged and someone else picks that up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

AFAIK Tesla will only sell cars through their own dealerships and not through franchisees(I suppose to maximize profits and service). I cant imagine them opening a Tesla dealership here any time soon, when dont have any dealerships in Spain, Italy or Portugal yet. Which are all better markets than Ireland

I don't know how the battery can be "your own battery " ? I missed that bit.

You drive in swap the battery for a battery someone previously left in, that gets charged, you pick it up and the battery that was in your car gets charged and someone else picks that up.

Thanks for clarifying this. Apologies, it was a misunderstanding from my side.

Having said that, if I have a brand new Tesla, & do a battery swap, doesn't that mean that I'm exchanging my brand new battery with someone else's reduced capacity used one? Shouldn't that affect warranty? I know Tesla now does unlimited mileage 8 year warranty, but isn't that supposed to cover manufacturing issues (and not reduced capacity secondary to normal usage)?

Thanks for clarifying this. Apologies, it was a misunderstanding from my side.

Having said that, if I have a brand new Tesla, & do a battery swap, doesn't that mean that I'm exchanging my brand new battery with someone else's reduced capacity used one? Shouldn't that affect warranty? I know Tesla now does unlimited mileage 8 year warranty, but isn't that supposed to cover manufacturing issues (and not reduced capacity secondary to normal usage)?

I don't know how they will work it, because essentially you're renting the battery .

The unlimited warranty covers reduced capacity from defects and not from charging, this is the same for all electric cars. If you're battery reduces capacity due to cycling, i.e driving, this is not covered as it's general wear and tear.

Still, even with a 30% loss in capacity the 85 Kwh model S should still see 180 miles range, far more than a Leaf with a new battery, never mind the leaf with a 30% loss in capacity !

The Tesla battery should last the life of the car, I mean, be usable for the life of the car.

I don't know how they will work it, because essentially you're renting the battery .

The unlimited warranty covers reduced capacity from defects and not from charging, this is the same for all electric cars. If you're battery reduces capacity due to cycling, i.e driving, this is not covered as it's general wear and tear.

Still, even with a 30% loss in capacity the 85 Kwh model S should still see 180 miles range, far more than a Leaf with a new battery, never mind the leaf with a 30% loss in capacity !

The Tesla battery should last the life of the car, I mean, be usable for the life of the car.

Thanks

hfallada wrote: »
    AFAIK Tesla will only sell cars through their own dealerships and not through franchisees(I suppose to maximize profits and service). I cant imagine them opening a Tesla dealership here any time soon, when dont have any dealerships in Spain, Italy or Portugal yet. Which are all better markets than Ireland

I think that depends on how you define "soon". According to the Supercharger map we can expect 3 superchargers in Ireland as well as the other countries you mentioned by 2016:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

I don't think they will open superchargers and not open shops at the same time. I think the question is what will come first: shops or superchargers.

I have read some speculations in the Tesla forum that you could swap for a fully charged battery but would have to return later for your original battery but Tesla has been rather silent on the topic since this video demonstration:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

Here's a recent analysis on battery swapping:
    http://jalopnik.com/where-the-hell-are-teslas-battery-swapping-stations-1585415460

Thing is, with 280 miles range (and up to 300) I don't think anyone would be bothered swapping their battery.

Holy crap, how many people drive beyond 280 miles a day and with a 30 min fast charge can take them another 170 miles ? that's 450 miles !

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

my dream car, someday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

fearmhor18 wrote: »
    my dream car, someday

Having owned several + 100K euro cars. I'd never go back to wasting that type of money again , ( I now waste it on boats instead !!!! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I thought the same about luxury cars until I had a go in a tesla. My goodness they are beautiful. Someone I know has the new model on order in the US, and I can't wait to see it when it arrives. It can tow a caravan. Teehee.

If I get one you know I've won the lotto. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I want a p85d.. Hopefully in 3 years there will be some 2nd hand (affordable) ones out there..

fearmhor18 wrote: »
    my dream car, someday

After seeing the Documentary on Sky recently, not sure if Mr Musk has got it right, to each his own, but then who am I?

reboot wrote: »
    After seeing the Documentary on Sky recently, not sure if Mr Musk has got it right, to each his own, but then who am I?

What was the documentary ?

There are a lot of companies and people who would like to see tesla fail.

What was the documentary ?

There are a lot of companies and people who would like to see tesla fail.

Doc was on Natgeo, an hour long promo for the Tesla S, mostly about the holdups due to teaching the robots how to weld the aluminum accurately. Delivery on the 10,000 pre orders hard to complete and many eggs in one basket. Price tag for the S as of 2013 when the program was made $30,000. Left many questions only worth discussion after having watched it, but on balance, would I want one?

reboot wrote: »
    Doc was on Natgeo, an hour long promo for the Tesla S, mostly about the holdups due to teaching the robots how to weld the aluminum accurately. Delivery on the 10,000 pre orders hard to complete and many eggs in one basket. Price tag for the S as of 2013 when the program was made $30,000. Left many questions only worth discussion after having watched it, but on balance, would I want one?

30,000 USD for model S ?

No reasons most major car makers can't have a model s Equivalent only because they make too much money from ICE cars so why bother ? They can make most of the components in house where as with battery cells, they'll have to be outsourced.

My guess is Tesla will be here a long, long time !

Would I wan't a Model S P 90 D ? hell yeah , a lot more than I would want any German car !!!

The Wall St Journal,by Mike Ramsey.
    "Tesla motors Inc.CEO Elon Musk has only one regret about the Model X SUV."
    "I think we got a little carried away with the X he said.If we had known the true engineering costs and complexity, we would have done fewer things"
    Tesla has already lowered its annual sales forecast to a range of 50,000 to 55,000.
    A slow start to production of the X could cause another reduction.
    Some of Tesla's customers have been waiting for more than three years, having put down $40,000 to be be among the "signature" group" that gets the vehicles first.,cost £132,000,with a faster,(0 to 60 in 3.2 secs) foe £142,000.
    Back to the chat on the Doc, saying the Tesla S at £30,000,? I have seen £75k mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

The Model S was NEVER going to cost 30K it competes with high end BMWs Mercs ect

and of course they had production problems at the start, its the first mass market car they built, give them a chance FFS

its the next car the Model 3 that will cost 35K, we get a first look at the Model 3 in March

The Model S and X are far too complicated.

Musk should have just provided car with the range and the power and he would have done just as good.

This complexity has added a lot of problems and delays, then when production was full swing and much more people are buying teslas then he could have concentrated on added all the complexities of autonomous driving etc.

I think Tesla had no option but to make a high end " techie" car. First they had to have a price point in the upper executive range, simply to cover costs at what is a low volume car. Secondly they had to appeal to monied people, who wanted to be wowed by " tech appeal". Somebody buying a 100K plus car is not going to affected by arguments over fuel economy, they want to be wowed. ( otherwise they'll just buy a prestigious ICE brand )

I think Tesla are very vulnerable to be squeezed out long term, by large volume manufacturers coming in at the bottom, and prestige brands coming in at the top with EV vehicles . Unless within a few years Tesla is into high ( er) volume manufacturing, they will remain a " boutique" brand.

Remember nothing technology wise that Tesla has is unique or even " advanced".

• Advertisement

nokia69 wrote: »
    The Model S was NEVER going to cost 30K it competes with high end BMWs Mercs ect

and of course they had production problems at the start, its the first mass market car they built, give them a chance FFS

its the next car the Model 3 that will cost 35K, we get a first look at the Model 3 in March

I guarantee The Model 3 will never be on sale for 35K dollars, when it actually releases

Advertisement