Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arséhole drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

gladrags wrote: »
    All traffic is potentially dangerous,particularly unccessary traffic.

It does'nt take an " assessment" to figure it.

Yeah, - basically you hate 4x4s. Maybe we should all walk & cycle.....ah No.

A good sized helping of "mind your own business", (which isn't what I bought, paid for and drive) would go a long way here. That and watching where you walk.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

You will find these drivers everywhere. The typical "I think Im better than everyone on the road, because Im in a hurry."
    In the end, they don't get anywhere faster anyways. Sit back and smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

anncoates wrote: »
    So don't perform a perfectly legal overtake at slightly above the speed limit without analyzing the exact excessive speed that somebody up to a kilometre behind you might be doing.

In other words : stay out of the overtaking lane because it's my speed track.

You can stick your 'speed track' bullshít up your arse... If you're going to overtake you look in your mirrors and if there's some fast approaching then you don't go and pull out in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I use the example in the OP as an excuse to break the speed limit and enjoy the power of my acceleration for a few seconds. ie. if pulled over as a result I can claim I was momentarily breaking the speed limit to get out of the way of an aggressive driver.

Most of these arseholes are pretty much out of puff at 120kph as they arrive up your backside flashing. Oh, I'll get out of your way alright, but not before I leave you for dust with a squirt of my accelerator

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

smash wrote: »
    You can stick your 'speed track' bullshít up your arse... If you're going to overtake you look in your mirrors and if there's some fast approaching then you don't go and pull out in front of them.

As per the OP, this is about overtaking a line of traffic. Not about pulling out in front of others in order to overtake.

But don't let that stop the rage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Correct. If you change lane and someone has to brake to any degree - you're in the wrong.

All this talk about speed limits also. That people think their speedos are accurate or even close to..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Packrat wrote: »
    Yeah, - basically you hate 4x4s. Maybe we should all walk & cycle.....ah No.

A good sized helping of "mind your own business", (which isn't what I bought, paid for and drive) would go a long way here. That and watching where youwn business" around this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Pay no heed to them, just concentrate on your own driving, if I got flustered by every driver that gave me the horn or flashed me on the road I'd never leave the house.

In fairness, your Model A Ford is a right pain in the hole to get stuck behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Quote:Packrat

"mind your own business", (which isn't what I bought, paid for and drive) would go a long way here. That and watching where you walk.[/quote]"

The other point regarding the increase in 4x4's or tractors,is the height from the ground.

They won't see the kid,basically its a blind spot.

Also a pedestrian has less chance of survival.

These tractors should not be used in highly populated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was crossing the road at Arthurs Quay in Limerick this morning. The lights were red and the green light was flashing, so off I went. Luckily I was paying attention as some bitch in a Toyota Avensis was so busy chatting to her passenger that she didn't even realise that the car was still going through the lights. She couldn't even see me as she had her head fully turned towards the passenger. She missed me by inches and only because I stopped walking in time and fcuked her out of it from a height.

I really wish all traffic lights were fitted with cameras that would catch these idiots in the act and that a fine would automatically be issued to the driver.

This happen so often at that junction it is not funny. I work around there. Also drivers around pedestrian light (the flashing light/zebra crossing) is just appalling how more people have not got hit i do wonder

• Advertisement

I give a **** because they're the kind of people that cause delays and traffic jams. It's got nothing to do with any kind of personal speed track. There's always going to be a car travelling faster and "doing the speed limit" doesn't give anyone an excuse to block a lane! If you're going to overtake, look in your mirror and don't do it if you can see someone approaching fast, it's common sense!

If they are overtaking it then they are not blocking the lane. If they are going faster then the car and progressing than that should be that.

So how far back do they have to be. Why should they just have to break and slow down just for you. It takes what 2 to 5 seconds longer in your journey or is it heavens forbid you are seen by your peers doing the speed limit for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

So how far back do they have to be. Why should they just have to break and slow down just for you. It takes what 2 to 5 seconds longer in your journey or is it heavens forbid you are seen by your peers doing the speed limit for a change

I dont think the speed limit comes into it.

If your going to move into an overtaking lane or turn onto another road you wait until you can merge in without causing other traffic to break.

Whether the other traffic is doing 70 or 120 in a 100 it doesnt matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You can stick your 'speed track' bullshít up your arse..

I can just picture you behind the wheel, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

mariaalice wrote: »
    The problem will be solved when they bring in the self drive cars!!!

We'll finally be rid of taxi drivers at the same time, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it significant that it was a northern reg car Louth Guy?
    Why not also mention the colour or make/model of car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Saw a "lady" in Cork repeatedly beeping at an L plate driver. The lerarner panicked and drove right into moving traffic as a result.

He was just waiting for a clear spot on a busy junction with stop signs.

I'm a learner myself and drivers can be assholes but if somebody is going to be panicked into a dangerous maneuver by somebody beeping at them they shouldn't be on the road on their own (which they shouldn't be anyway), if an experienced driver was also in the car they should have been more in control of his driving.
    Its one thing getting flustered and stalling on a hill start or similar but something that dangerous isn't really excusable.

I've probably just Jinxed myself saying this :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There are some drivers that just should not be on the roads, but getting them off them will only happen when there is a total change in attitude about enforcement.

I witnessed one driver commit at least 5 offences in the space of less than 5 Km of the N2 this evening, starting with tailgating, then intimidation, inappropriate lane use, speed limit offences, inappropriate lane use at a roundabout, and that was in the space of less than 3 minutes. Peak period with heavy traffic, and ignorant driving, not a nice mixture

Problem is, even with dash cam evidence, the enforcement authorities don't give a damn, won't take action on clear evidence, and the result is that the arseholes get away with it, and continue to put people at risk.

If I'd been in my own vehicle, and hadn't 2 young children in a small car with me, one arsehole would have had no radiator, sudden and violent application of brakes works wonders, but it has to be done with intent, in a vehicle that won't also be damaged by contact, preferably with a tow ball that will do serious damage to the radiator.

Caught an F1 driver in Ashbourne like that a few years ago, he thought overtaking in the right turn lane to an estate was a good idea, until he (too late) discovered I really was turning right, and not just blocking him. Did more than a little damage to his Italian sports job when I braked hard, but nothing at all to the tow hitch on the back of mine.

What's needed is a system that allows clear video evidence to be used to allocate penalty points to drivers without Gardai having to witness the original incident. Traffic and pedestrian light cameras are also needed to clear out the scourge of the red gamblers, and some unmarked Gardai on the motorways with video cameras recording would also be a good move.

That said, sensible speed limits that are realistic would help, as would some serious work to sort out poor signs and lane markings on way too many junctions, but that would require the RSA to do something useful, rather than continue with their myopic crusade against speed, which is so narrow and at times misguided, it no longer has credibility or impact, and they seem to be incapable of providing any real lead or action on so many of the issues that are now endemic in the Irish driving population.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

louthguy25 wrote: »
    I was doing the speed limit

That's probably why, although she shouldn't have done anything. Were the people in the left lane doing much below the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If you have to brake because somebody 500 yards ahead is overtaking while doing the speed limit then you're the one in the wrong.

If they're overtaking at below the speed limit while you're matching it then they should let you pass before moving out depending on how far away you are.

• Advertisement

I'm a learner myself and drivers can be assholes but if somebody is going to be panicked into a dangerous maneuver by somebody beeping at them they shouldn't be on the road on their own (which they shouldn't be anyway), if an experienced driver was also in the car they should have been more in control of his driving.
    Its one thing getting flustered and stalling on a hill start or similar but something that dangerous isn't really excusable.

Unless you're in an instructor's car which has an additional break pedal on the passenger's side, I can't imagine there's much anyone accompanying a learner driver can do.
    And it really depends on the person - just because the person is holding a driving license doesn't mean they won't end up making the learner driver more nervous than they already are.
    I'm just thinking if I had grown up here, my father would probably have insisted on teaching me. And he's just about the worst teacher in history, always making sure you know how utterly useless and incompetent you are at whatever you might attempt.
    So if I imagined myself a learner driver in the car with someone like that, in a stressful situation as described, and with someone beeping at me... I wouldn't guarantee what I would do, truth be told.

Dave147 wrote: »
    That's probably why, although she shouldn't have done anything. Were the people in the left lane doing much below the limit?

I honestly don't see how that matters in the least.
    As long as he was overtaking, as in actually passing the vehicles on his left, his own speed is not an issue.

How else would you ever allow a truck to overtake a tractor on a dual carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

There are some drivers that just should not be on the roads, but getting them off them will only happen when there is a total change in attitude about enforcement.

I witnessed one driver commit at least 5 offences in the space of less than 5 Km of the N2 this evening, starting with tailgating, then intimidation, inappropriate lane use, speed limit offences, inappropriate lane use at a roundabout, and that was in the space of less than 3 minutes. Peak period with heavy traffic, and ignorant driving, not a nice mixture

Problem is, even with dash cam evidence, the enforcement authorities don't give a damn, won't take action on clear evidence, and the result is that the arseholes get away with it, and continue to put people at risk.

If I'd been in my own vehicle, and hadn't 2 young children in a small car with me, one arsehole would have had no radiator, sudden and violent application of brakes works wonders, but it has to be done with intent, in a vehicle that won't also be damaged by contact, preferably with a tow ball that will do serious damage to the radiator.

Caught an F1 driver in Ashbourne like that a few years ago, he thought overtaking in the right turn lane to an estate was a good idea, until he (too late) discovered I really was turning right, and not just blocking him. Did more than a little damage to his Italian sports job when I braked hard, but nothing at all to the tow hitch on the back of mine.

What's needed is a system that allows clear video evidence to be used to allocate penalty points to drivers without Gardai having to witness the original incident. Traffic and pedestrian light cameras are also needed to clear out the scourge of the red gamblers, and some unmarked Gardai on the motorways with video cameras recording would also be a good move.

That said, sensible speed limits that are realistic would help, as would some serious work to sort out poor signs and lane markings on way too many junctions, but that would require the RSA to do something useful, rather than continue with their myopic crusade against speed, which is so narrow and at times misguided, it no longer has credibility or impact, and they seem to be incapable of providing any real lead or action on so many of the issues that are now endemic in the Irish driving population.

How is this any different to the other person's dangerous driving? You're not a masked vigilante. If you keep this up eventually it will be you who will kill someone not the idiots doing stupid manoeuvres that piss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

FunLover18 wrote: »
    If they're overtaking at below the speed limit while you're matching it then they should let you pass before moving out depending on how far away you are.
    I'm not condoning breaking the speed limit but as far as I remember the rules are you don't move into the overtaking lane without first adjusting your speed to safely merge and / or give way to any on coming traffic. Regardless of their speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Could be the effects of constant bullying- beeping, performing dangerous manoveurs, agressive hand gestures around the learner driver that has them nervous. I see it all the time- its been years since I was a learner but it's as if people see the L plate as a "I don't have to give a s*** about this driver." Its daunting enough being fresh on the road without a guy/gal nearly up your behind and being a**holes because you've stopped at a red light instead of make the dash through the amber, like how dare you (I saw an experienced driver bullied into breaking a red arrow light a few weeks ago in Cork City while drivers behind were beeping agressively- he was in the right to stop but the colour blind guys behind clearly saw the arrow as an instruction to go and decided they were right. I copped what was happening-the girl I had to grab to stop her getting run over was lucky- we had a solid green man to cross). Its the same driving a small car...they are nearly touching your bumper with the engine growling- find it funny when my little car zips away as soon as the green goes while they take a few seconds first to get moving, then a few more to get up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I get what yourself and Shenshen are saying, and Ive experienced it myself but particularly as a cyclist I would way rather share the road with assholes than people carrying out unexpected manoeuvres. One is aggravating the other is genuinely dangerous.
    And I know myself I wouldnt practice driving with my Ma simply because she gets stressed when I do, you need someone thats not easily panicked when your messing up as a learner

I get what yourself and Shenshen are saying, and Ive experienced it myself but particularly as a cyclist I would way rather share the road with assholes than people carrying out unexpected manoeuvres. One is aggravating the other is genuinely dangerous.
    And I know myself I wouldnt practice driving with my Ma simply because she gets stressed when I do, you need someone thats not easily panicked when your messing up as a learner

The difference is, the learner driver does come with a warning label.

As a cyclist, if I notice a car with an L plate on, I'll be more cautious than normal as I realise they might do something unexpected.
    The BMW driver who a few weeks ago nearly turned me into a smear on a wall in order to avoid a puddle on the road came with no such warning. Well, other than the badge on his car, but I prefer not to judge people by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

That's easy to say and think sitting there in front of your keyboard, it's completely different out on the road, which as a learner you should know.

I would like to think I would be calm and level headed no matter what happened or who was in the car with me but the truth is I can't say for definite because an awful lot of apparently experienced drivers are just so bullying and arrogant and ignorant when they get behind the wheel it's very hard not to panic or jump to the conclusion that I've done something wrong and need to move asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

tinz18 wrote: »
    Could be the effects of constant bullying- beeping, performing dangerous manoveurs, agressive hand gestures around the learner driver that has them nervous. I see it all the time- its been years since I was a learner but it's as if people see the L plate as a "I don't have to give a s*** about this driver." Its daunting enough being fresh on the road without a guy/gal nearly up your behind and being a**holes because you've stopped at a red light instead of make the dash through the amber, like how dare you (I saw an experienced driver bullied into breaking a red arrow light a few weeks ago in Cork City while drivers behind were beeping agressively- he was in the right to stop but the colour blind guys behind clearly saw the arrow as an instruction to go and decided they were right. I copped what was happening-the girl I had to grab to stop her getting run over was lucky- we had a solid green man to cross). Its the same driving a small car...they are nearly touching your bumper with the engine growling- find it funny when my little car zips away as soon as the green goes while they take a few seconds first to get moving, then a few more to get up to speed.

That's exactly what it is but for whatever reason experienced driver seem unable or more likely unwilling to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, other than the badge on his car, but I prefer not to judge people by that.

You might not be going too far wrong if you do.

Advertisement