Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arséhole drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Peeping at a learner will do for them the exact opposite of what you want it to do.

It makes you even more nervous so you mess up even more.

You were a learner once, you made mistakes, I'm sure you got peeped at and hated it.

Don't be so selfish and ignorant. Have patience and understanding.

Remember where you are before rising to such bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Think she was trying to get your attention so she can give you a handjob, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

A public road is not an appropriate place to learn the basics of driving.
    One should be capable of certain driving standards before you decide to go for a spin in the Phoenix Park.
    There's plenty of car parks or industrial estates which are quiet at the weekends, where you can pick up some basics without taking to busy public roads.

A set of 'L-plates' does not confer you with the right to be a **** driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

One should be capable of certain driving standards before you decide to go for a spin in the Phoenix Park.
    There's plenty of car parks or industrial estates which are quiet at the weekends, where you can pick up some basics without taking to busy public roads.

Yeah!
    It's easy to get experience driving on busy roads in a quiet car park. Why can't all learners see this!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Especially things like merging with traffic, judging traffic to see if you can make your turn or not, things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm not an arsehole driver by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I'm quite cautious and never take stupid risks, even if by refusing to do so I hold up the people behind me.

I have driven around an industrial estate and am competent enough to be on the road otherwise neither my parents nor my driving instructor would have me there.

Driving around a quiet estate is fine to start off but it doesn't given you half the experiences as the main roads or the park does. You'd never really learn anything if you stuck to estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Driving around a deserted industrial estate is great practice for driving around a deserted industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't a lot of industrial estates have a 'no L driver' policy? ISTR my dad having to look for one we could use for ages when he took me out to teach me some basics. I guess they don't want a load of clueless drivers potentially crashing into things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just cant believe people who take it personally when they're being overtaken. I think way too many people let driving a car go to their head, completely different people in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yeah, I'm sure you really learned how to drive on busy roads in a deserted car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭paulbok

Well, aside from the lack of traffic lights, that its cambers and bends are designed to take higher speed traffic, certain classes of vehicle and driver are prohibited.

Also to be classed as a motorway, the access onto and off the carriageway is controlled. On a dual carriageway (older ones in Ireland, newer tend to be built to motorway standard) you can have a small road with access, often with a gap in the median to allow for a right turn across the carriageway. Motorways have dedicated lanes to come on/off, allowing for traffic to slow down/come up to speed safely.

Yeah, I'm sure you really learned how to drive on busy roads in a deserted car park.

Yep, the basics of driving such as clutch manipulation, brake control, appropriate gear selection, use of signals, etc.

It's these basics which enable you to be able to drive competently on a public road.

If you think you can just rock onto a public road without having mastered any of these, then I'm not surprised you're getting a good amount of negative interaction with your fellow frustrated road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if a person is overtaking, regardless of the speed they're doing, no one behind should be flashing lights etc.

how about a bit of patience people?

plus don't agree with pulling in and letting them go their merry way just in case they're taking someone to hospital. i mean, how many times could that logically be the reason?

yeah i agree OP, she was a total a****ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Yep, the basics of driving such as clutch manipulation, brake control, appropriate gear selection, use of signals, etc.

It's these basics which enable you to be able to drive competently on a public road.

If you think you can just rock onto a public road without having mastered any of these, then I'm not surprised you're getting a good amount of negative interaction with your fellow frustrated road users.

I learned all of those in an industrial estate too, but you can only learn so much off road like that.

You can't possibly have learned to change lanes, use roundabouts, negotiate busy junctions, deal with difficult turns, turnabouts, other drivers, busy roads, motorways etc in an industrial estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I just cant believe people who take it personally when they're being overtaken. I think way too many people let driving a car go to their head, completely different people in the car.

That's because to a lot of people the car is juist a huge penis extension.

If you have a little one deal with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I was driving on the M18 from Limerick to Ennis yesterday evening. I went to pass out a van that was driving at 100kmh on the motorway. As I pulled up along side him he suddenly speeds up and starts racing me! I passed him and another car and moved back into the left hand lane. Next thing is he puts his foot on the pedal again and passes me out, then slows down when he gets in front of me. Another car comes up alongside him and he does the same thing, puts his foot on the accelerator to try and prevent being passed out!
    I'm so sorry not I didn't get his reg to report him.

This happened to me about six weeks ago on the way to Dublin. A woman in a big jeep was taking the piss on the motorway so we overtook her, as did several other cars. three minutes later she comes tearing up the overtaking lane and practically parks in front of us. So when we could, we overtake her again. a few minutes later, Que the same thing again, this time her husband gawking out the window at us. The third or fourth time it happened, we just put the foot down and nearly matched the speed limit in the mostly empty road in front of her. I was told that she had tried to tear after us again but by this time too many cars were overtaking her that she couldn't and we eventually lost her.

I really don't know what it is about some people when they get behind a wheel, but to lose the cool and turn so aggressive just for being overtaken? Maybe it's road rage, maybe it's a sense of importance or entitlement? who knows.

Also, as was being discussed above, the idea of learning how to manage a busy road by going up and down empty estates is a bit like Sheldon Cooper learning to swim on the living room floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

GET THE FCUK OFF MY ROAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Packrat

Some serious ignorance of the rotr, the difference between motorways v dual carriageways and tbh basic fcuking manners on display here.

I encounter the beeping & flashing **** regularly when overtaking trucks who are limited to 90k in a bus limited to 100k.
    My solution: match the truck speed and give the beck to the truck driver. Then we BOTH slow to around 70 kph for half a mile or so. They'll have driven themselves insane by the time we decide they've had enough punishment. Those cnuts who won't wait the 30 to 60 seconds it takes me to overtake can fcukin wait a couple of minutes.

Moral of the story: Don't fcuk with professional drivers, (taxi drivers excepted) - we know the law, we are generally bigger, we don't get mad and start beeping, we just collaborate to fcuk you back twice as hard.
    Also, the treatment of L drivers is nothing short of bullying and abuse. Get a dash cam and report these cnuts.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Packrat wrote: »
    Some serious ignorance of the rotr, the difference between motorways v dual carriageways and tbh basic fcuking manners on display here.

I encounter the beeping & flashing **** regularly when overtaking trucks who are limited to 90k in a bus limited to 100k.
    My solution: match the truck speed and give the beck to the truck driver. Then we BOTH slow to around 70 kph for half a mile or so. They'll have driven themselves insane by the time we decide they've had enough punishment. Those cnuts who won't wait the 30 to 60 seconds it takes me to overtake can fcukin wait a couple of minutes.

Moral of the story: Don't fcuk with professional drivers, (taxi drivers excepted) - we know the law, we are generally bigger, we don't get mad and start beeping, we just collaborate to fcuk you back twice as hard.
    Also, the treatment of L drivers is nothing short of bullying and abuse. Get a dash cam and report these cnuts.

Bus wanker :D

Some serious ignorance of the rotr, the difference between motorways v dual carriageways and tbh basic fcuking manners on display here..

The delicious irony.

My solution: match the truck speed and give the beck to the truck driver. Then we BOTH slow to around 70 kph for half a mile or so. They'll have driven themselves insane by the time we decide they've had enough punishment. Those cnuts who won't wait the 30 to 60 seconds it takes me to overtake can fcukin wait a couple of minutes. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was crossing the road at Arthurs Quay in Limerick this morning. The lights were red and the green light was flashing, so off I went. Luckily I was paying attention as some bitch in a Toyota Avensis was so busy chatting to her passenger that she didn't even realise that the car was still going through the lights. She couldn't even see me as she had her head fully turned towards the passenger. She missed me by inches and only because I stopped walking in time and fcuked her out of it from a height.

I really wish all traffic lights were fitted with cameras that would catch these idiots in the act and that a fine would automatically be issued to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Seems like you're the common denominator in all these anecdotes.

Seems like the w*nkers behind were the common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

Its good to see the majority of people on here agree with me. For those who say don't react its hard not to when someone could potentially hurt your baby with their reckless driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Packrat

The delicious irony.

Not at all. This is done in response to assholery. I'm the politest driver you'll ever meet until you begin to hoot and flash as I'm just following the rotr and trying to overtake normally.

Buona: I think you need to actually watch the movie to understand the quote "bus ****"

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

A motorway has two separate carriageways, and is a type of dual carriageway, but should have three or more lanes really. Otherwise what's the point of making a distinction? With no angryfastpeople lane it makes overtaking a bit dodgy.

A motorway doesn't have to be dual carriageway at all. It is a motorway because of the restrictions on the traffic that can use it and because of the design of the junctions to prevent turning movements across oncoming traffic.

The distinction is perfectly clear and referring to motorways as dual carriageway just because of the the number of lanes is nonsense.

As for the general point, it is extremely common for trucks to illegally overtake on the M1 and obstruct traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

if I got flustered by every driver that gave me the horn or flashed me ......

Jesus people flashing you and giving you the horn.

What roads are you driving on.

Buona: I think you need to actually watch the movie to understand the quote "bus ****"

Sorry if I used the term inadvisedly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The drivers that really annoy me are the gobshytes who are happy to sit hugging the hole of the slow moving vehicle. I don't get upset by tractors or trucks going slow, they're usually going as fast as they can but the ass that will sit behind them making it harder for everyone else to overtake is someone who doesn't have enough confidence to be driving a car on a public. When you get 2 or 3 of these dick heads in a row they can ruin the day of hundreds of people and cause some seriously dangerous overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Sorry if I used the term inadvisedly :rolleyes:

Paraphrase: "Boards ****".. :p

Hold on a minute, am I slagging myself there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

louthguy25 wrote: »
    I was driving home from Dundalk on the M1 last night and while over taking a line of cars and buses this woman in a northern reg car drives right up behind me and starts flashing her lights and waving her hands as if I was at fault.

I was doing the speed limit and there was at least 10 vehicles to my left that I was over taking I was wondering where she wanted me to go. This went on until I got past all the traffic and I pulled over to the left where she proceeded to give me the fingers and the wanker sign.

She then pulled in front of me and jammed on the breaks as if to give me a scare which she did especially with my young son in the car.

Why do people think they own the roads and why do people flash the lights to get you to move??
    I would either slow to a crawl just to see the veins bulging out of her temples and watch her explode or jam on and let her take her chances as a tailgater. I would probably do the first option and also take her northern reg and report it to Custaims as belonging to someone working full time in the republic so that she gets stopped and might have to pay VRT on the car or have it seized.
    Pay no heed to them, just concentrate on your own driving, if I got flustered by every driver that gave me the horn or flashed me on the road I'd never leave the house.
    I have often got the horn from car drivers but it is mainly student bus passengers that flash people:D

A public road and a busy one at that is the very best place to learn to drive, Road works or temporary traffic lights are an added bonus!

Advertisement