Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arséhole drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I would either slow to a crawl just to see the veins bulging out of her temples and watch her explode or jam on and let her take her chances as a tailgater.
    Why do people feel the need to become judge jury and executioner on Irish roads. It doesn't take someone breaking the law to elicit this response. "Someones driving faster than me... Bastard!", someones driving slower than me.. Bastard!", "Someones driving a particular brand of car.. Bastard!" "Someones driving a car that wouldn't pass the NCT... Bastard!" Tractor bastard, truck bastard, bike bastard.

People need to pay attention to their own driving and stop worrying about what other drivers are doing. Obviously I'm as bad as anyone, probably worse, but why does this happen inside a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Obviously I'm as bad as anyone, probably worse, but why does this happen inside a car?

Because most people have to repress their feelings especially negative ones, feelings of superiority that people try to deny to themselves are given a space to be. What you are in the car is what you would be like all the time if you had nothing to be afraid of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Because most people have to repress their feelings especially negative ones, feelings of superiority that people try to deny to themselves are given a space to be. What you are in the car is what you would be like all the time if you had nothing to be afraid of.

Now THAT is a properly scary thought all right... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

Why do people feel the need to become judge jury and executioner on Irish roads. It doesn't take someone breaking the law to elicit this response. "Someones driving faster than me... Bastard!", someones driving slower than me.. Bastard!", "Someones driving a particular brand of car.. Bastard!" "Someones driving a car that wouldn't pass the NCT... Bastard!" Tractor bastard, truck bastard, bike bastard.

People need to pay attention to their own driving and stop worrying about what other drivers are doing. Obviously I'm as bad as anyone, probably worse, but why does this happen inside a car?

Same reason people fight over garden walls, dogs, kids, queue jumpers:

Repressed rage due to overcrowded spaces.

We are primates - optimum group size is about 150.

City life basically.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Packrat wrote: »
    Same reason people fight over garden walls, dogs, kids, queue jumpers:

Repressed rage due to overcrowded spaces.

We are primates - optimum group size is about 150.

City life basically.
    I don't fight over dogs or kids, live and let live in the real world. In a car it's a different story, I try to stay aware of it but most other drivers annoy me as I don't think they're taking it as seriously as I am, and I then assume their thinking that I'm a bad driver.

• Advertisement

I think it's pretty automatic so it's something that takes work NOT to be like that in a car. I think if you are just aware your letting off steam and aren't taking it too seriously 'Ah wudja look at THIS bollix DRIVE YOUR CAR' etc. for your own amusement it's good. But if you are actually feeling the rage and thinking the stuff without any awareness of yourself then it's something ye should think about more imo

I think it's pretty automatic so it's something that takes work NOT to be like that in a car. I think if you are just aware your letting off steam and aren't taking it too seriously 'Ah wudja look at THIS bollix DRIVE YOUR CAR' etc. for your own amusement it's good. But if you are actually feeling the rage and thinking the stuff without any awareness of yourself then it's something ye should think about more imo
    I have a friend who's particularly bad for it. He'll practically jump out the window at people for making mistakes he made himself two minutes earlier. It's like sympathy and empathy just disappear inside a car, there's no tolerance for mistakes or delays.

It's funny when you see two people get so wound up that they get out of the car, but once they're out of the car you can see a look in their face like "WTF am I doing?!" Then they quickly get back in and drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Fcuk her right in the arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

louthguy25 wrote: »
    I was doing the speed limit and there was at least 10 vehicles to my left that I was over taking I was wondering where she wanted me to go.

It pisses me off when people decide to overtake a group of cars when they're only going marginally faster than the cars they're overtaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,868 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If I'm travelling faster than the car I'm approaching in the outside lane, I assess his situation. If he's overtaking then I hang back and wait for him to pull in, if he's just trundling along in the overtaking lane, I have no guilt about flashing him a couple of times to move over, but I would never get aggressively close to the car or start gesturing. I drove on the continent for years and this was custom and practice.

The argument "I'm doing the speed limit, so I'll drive in whatever lane I like" is a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules of the road, and the thing most likely to infuriate other drivers. It is quite literally none of your concern to go enforcing the speed limit on others, we have Gardaí for that, occasionally. Get over to Lane 1 and mind your own business.

I got a ride-along in a Garda traffic car one night and travelling with the lights and sirens on a motorway was a real eye opener as to how rubbish Irish drivers are. So many people had no idea we were right up their tailpipe trying to get past, it was plain scary that they didn't notice lights and sirens right behind them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

as a "yellow plater" I have to stand up and say you guys do it too. I am a mpg kind of guy so I stick my cruse on at 60 MPH and sit in the left lane and over take the odd lorry or what ever. (I drive to dublin every day) and I see it all, mobiles, flashing, you name it and its from everyone. I dont think you can just say its one or the other. I also notice how people "forget" then crossing the boarder to slow back down to 60. Its a limit not a target, and that post from the arse saying Ill speed if I want to, grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The problem will be solved when they bring in the self drive cars!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

smash wrote: »
    It pisses me off when people decide to overtake a group of cars when they're only going marginally faster than the cars they're overtaking!

Why would you give a sh1t? It' takes at most a number of seconds to complete the overtake. The overtaking lane isn't your exclusive speed track. They're using it as its intended to be used.

mariaalice wrote: »

The cars will just gradually attain sentience (albeit in an Irish motorist context) so about 75% of them will turn into cnuts.

mariaalice wrote: »
    We'll probably just direct all our rage at our own self driven car then, making them probably the most abused piece of technology ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

We need to give a catchy name to this kind of behaviour...street stress, highway hissy-fits, thoroughfare tantrums, something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

anncoates wrote: »
    Why would you give a sh1t? It' takes at most a number of seconds to complete the overtake. The overtaking lane isn't your exclusive speed track. They're using it as its intended to be used.

I give a **** because they're the kind of people that cause delays and traffic jams. It's got nothing to do with any kind of personal speed track. There's always going to be a car travelling faster and "doing the speed limit" doesn't give anyone an excuse to block a lane! If you're going to overtake, look in your mirror and don't do it if you can see someone approaching fast, it's common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I give a **** because they're the kind of people that cause delays and traffic jams. It's got nothing to do with any kind of personal speed track. There's always going to be a car travelling faster and "doing the speed limit" doesn't give anyone an excuse to block a lane! If you're going to overtake, look in your mirror and don't do it if you can see someone approaching fast, it's common sense!

Travelling at the speed limit causes traffic jams?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

As a daily pedestrian who prefers walking to cars/bikes, I find the mentality of some drivers incredible.

This includes public transport/taxis.

Examples...

Overtaking on the inside lane

Breaking red lights,cars and bikes,buses and taxis.

Single driver occupants of dangerous 4x4's adding to the traffic mayhem in increasing numbers,particularly in highly pop areas.

Consistently blocking access to zebra crossings,parking adjacent to same and blocking view.

So don't perform a perfectly legal overtake at slightly above the speed limit without analyzing the exact excessive speed that somebody up to a kilometre behind you might be doing.

In other words : stay out of the overtaking lane because it's my speed track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

gladrags wrote: »
    As a daily pedestrian who prefers walking to cars/bikes, I find the mentality of some drivers incredible.

This includes public transport/taxis.

Examples...

Overtaking on the inside lane

Breaking red lights,cars and bikes,buses and taxis.

Single driver occupants of dangerous 4x4's adding to the traffic mayhem in increasing numbers,particularly in highly pop areas.

Consistently blocking access to zebra crossings,parking adjacent

Did you have the 4x4s assessed that you can know that they are dangerous?

Or are you just talking through your hole?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We'll probably just direct all our rage at our own self driven car then, making them probably the most abused piece of technology ever made.

Surely we would be directing our rage at other peoples self drive cars?

Hopefully we'll all just get that extra kip we need to evolve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Packrat wrote: »
    Did you have the 4x4s assessed that you can know that they are dangerous?

Or are you just talking through your hole?

All traffic is potentially dangerous,particularly unccessary traffic.

It does'nt take an " assessment" to figure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I have a friend who's particularly bad for it. He'll practically jump out the window at people for making mistakes he made himself two minutes earlier. It's like sympathy and empathy just disappear inside a car, there's no tolerance for mistakes or delays.

It's funny when you see two people get so wound up that they get out of the car, but once they're out of the car you can see a look in their face like "WTF am I doing?!" Then they quickly get back in and drive off.

I used to be like that when we lived in London :o. Got out at a roundabout once to explain to two asian lads - OH went ape$hit, wouldn't let go of my arm :o. But everything about London would drive you and everyone else off the cliff.

Since moving back, I took a major chill pill and most of the time I am sweetness and light:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I just do the 120(ish) :cool: in the OT lane and unless it's an emergency vehicle the rest of ye can go shíte! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love the M50 (south bound) in the mornings, the inside left lane becomes the overtaking lane because all the muppets are in a rush to the far right overtaking lane :)

I ride a bike which would blow the socks off any car on any motorway in the country so doesn't bother me where anyone else drives, I'll over/undertake them at my convenience :)

My car is a little Citroen C3, I rarely use it but when I do I can't afford to get mad at anyone, and its slow enough to even block the driving lanes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

For some reason I find that 4 out of 5 cars you see aggressively driving on any road are Audis. #justsaying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The self-drive cars will just get depressed then (or angry) and drive into the nearest tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Is it me, or are there an increasing numbers of arseholes on the road, or is it because I had been so used to using public transport in the last few years that I never spotted them. An incident last week that really annoyed me was a c*nt in a black Lexus having gone over the Ballymount flyover. As the traffic comes off the exit off the M50 to go up towards Ballymount, there is usually a tailback heading off the exit down into the industrial estate. Anyway, my father, who was driving, indicated that he wanted to pull out into the other lane that had no traffic. The driver of the Lexus was more or less at a stop, and thought he was going to let us out. It was not to be. Instead, he went past, only to cut in further up the road, and skip most of the queue. Needless to say, my father blew the horn, I gestured the driver, but sadly he didn't see. A thick looking f**ker as well.

It seems to be those in the big cars, namely large Audis and BMWs, that seem to enjoy bullying other drivers on dual carriageways or motorways. Perhaps the car they like to tailgate in front is overtaking slower moving traffic. But, the drivers in the bigger cars don't care. Instead, they stick right up the arse of the car in front, repeatedly having to apply their brakes, and repeat the process until the driver has to pull over.

In a similar incident to the OP, I had been overtaking traffic on the N7, and a driver in a red Accord came flying up behind me, flashed his lights, and with his head was gesturing to pull over. I didn't immediately, but when I moved into the middle lane, he decided to do the same at the same time. No sooner was he in, but he was back out again and those in the car gave me the filthies as if I was at fault. I wasn't, but it was the prick driving that was at fault.

For learner drivers, we've all been there, including the arseholes. Drivers have little respect for learners, and from learning a few years ago, I saw loads of cars in a line of traffic trying their best to get ahead of the instructor's car, just because they didn't want to be stuck behind in case I conked out for the few seconds. I was never really beeped or anything like that. Most drivers were obliging, but I have certainly seen learners be honked at, gestured, etc. Really, a learner is nervous enough without some inconsiderate prick making things more difficult for them, just because they are delayed by a mere few seconds.

Advertisement