Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's so bad about eating red meat?

Options
  • 28-09-2014 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭

When I read about things that are unhealthy like smoking, drinking and fast food, I am weary of the fact that red meat is usually listed. In a way I would consider this to be part of a healthy balanced diet. I hear it's because of the cholesterol in the fat.

The main red meat I usually eat is mince. But when I get mince, I get round steak minced seperately with the fat cut off. By doing this, you're guaranteed to have about 90% of the fat removed, if the butcher does a proper job. So what's the problem? I know that with processed food like rashers, it's different as there's apparently fat mixed in with the non fatty part.

I'll never get over how my Dad always says "but you're not getting good value that way because you've to pay for the fat too", and that it's tastier with the fat. You can't change old people. I do love watching the butcher cut off those fatty parts and seeing all the future blocked arteries I'm avoiding right before my eyes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Unless you're eating it every day there's nothing wrong with there being fat on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Unless you're eating it every day there's nothing wrong with there being fat on it.
    Every little bit counts. We need all the help we can get.

I eat it about 2/3 times a week. Since I eat other sources of red meat like stir-fry and steak on occasion, I'd want to be making an effort with the mince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

LasTime wrote: »

I eat it about 2/3 times a week. Since I eat other sources of red meat like stir-fry and steak on occasion, I'd want to be making an effort with the mince.

Anthony Colpo has a good blog post on red meat. The main trust being that s lot of red meat eaters also ignore other health advice about smoking, excessive alcohol etc.

He also writes about cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

When I read about things that are unhealthy like smoking, drinking and fast food, I am weary of the fact that red meat is usually listed. In a way I would consider this to be part of a healthy balanced diet. I hear it's because of the cholesterol in the fat.

The main red meat I usually eat is mince. But when I get mince, I get round steak minced seperately with the fat cut off. By doing this, you're guaranteed to have about 90% of the fat removed, if the butcher does a proper job. So what's the problem? I know that with processed food like rashers, it's different as there's apparently fat mixed in with the non fatty part.

I'll never get over how my Dad always says "but you're not getting good value that way because you've to pay for the fat too", and that it's tastier with the fat. You can't change old people. I do love watching the butcher cut off those fatty parts and seeing all the future blocked arteries I'm avoiding right before my eyes!

I agree with you, remove the fat with a knife and you have some quality protein with not too much fat depending on the type of steak.

When I'm bulking though, nothing better than a fatty steak! I agree with your dad in that senses, it DOES taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I think it's more about the quantity of red meat that we eat. We eat a lot more than our poor forefathers ever did.

The recommended portion size for red meat is about 65g - that's just over 2 ounces. If you think about the size of a steak you get in a restaurant, they're usually 8, 10, 12 oz. Most people would usually estimate a pound of mince for 4 people - about double the recommendation.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go out of my way unless it was gonna make it better. Mince is fair enough. But nice bit of marbling in a rib eye can't be bet .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Only 65g?! Wat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I eat red meat every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Personally I'm wary of any study or body that states red meat can be harmful to health. The studies all these warnings are based off, are generally quite poor. The large studies with thousands of participants are tough to draw any solid conclusions from as there are so many other factors at play and even how the participants report their diet has a massive impact on the results. These studies do not, for example, distinguish between a take-away curry, burger from MaccyDs and a home-cooked fillet steak, they are all considered red meat. Whether the diet is recorded through a food diary or weekly phonecalls influences reporting of food intake.

There are no controlled trials, to my knowledge, that have shown red meat to have a negative effect on health.

All in all, in a balanced diet red meat has its place and overthinking the little bits of fat is an unnecessary heartache

cc87 wrote: »
    Personally I'm wary of any study or body that states red meat can be harmful to health. The studies all these warnings are based off, are generally quite poor. The large studies with thousands of participants are tough to draw any solid conclusions from as there are so many other factors at play and even how the participants report their diet has a massive impact on the results. These studies do not, for example, distinguish between a take-away curry, burger from MaccyDs and a home-cooked fillet steak, they are all considered red meat. Whether the diet is recorded through a food diary or weekly phonecalls influences reporting of food intake.

There are no controlled trials, to my knowledge, that have shown red meat to have a negative effect on health.

All in all, in a balanced diet red meat has its place and overthinking the little bits of fat is an unnecessary heartache
    It's true. Many times, people don't look past the fact that it's a "study" before believing the "findings", studies can be tweaked and presented in whatever manner is desired by leaving out certain information, testing on a specific subset of subjects that don't reflect the majority and many other ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Thoie wrote: »
    I think it's more about the quantity of red meat that we eat. We eat a lot more than our poor forefathers ever did.

The recommended portion size for red meat is about 65g - that's just over 2 ounces. If you think about the size of a steak you get in a restaurant, they're usually 8, 10, 12 oz. Most people would usually estimate a pound of mince for 4 people - about double the recommendation.

We also have allot more internet , are less active , and rely on motor transport more.

Everything in moderation.

papu wrote: »
    We also have allot more internet , are less active , and rely on motor transport more.

Everything in moderation.
    True, moderation is key. Even too much water can kill you. Can't live life scared to enjoy the good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Thoie wrote: »
    The recommended portion size for red meat is about 65g - that's just over 2 ounces.

but, but, WAT ABOUT THE GAINZZ??!

I hear you, that aint enough to make no gainzzz, I'm tryin to make all KINDZZZZZ... Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well, if you're heavier, you can have more ;)

The 65g is for an average person weighing about 80kg. If you weigh 160kg, feel free to have twice as much red meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

There was a BBC Horizon on this recently enough for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ford2600 wrote: »
    The main trust being that s lot of red meat eaters also ignore other health advice about smoking, excessive alcohol etc.
    Thats an issue with lots of these studies, they make out like group A's only "vice" is the thing they are testing against, and that group B is identical in every other way, i.e. their other "vices" or hazardous pastimes will all be identical.

e.g. some study was saying women who even drink just 1 glass of wine per day were at risk healthwise. While I would think tee-total women are more likely to exercise, not smoke and eat healthier in general.

I think that BBC documentary tried to address this point, they picked some religous community who I think did not drink or rarely drank and a lot of whom were veggies, could have been mormons. But I think the point still stood that the 2 groups were not equal in all other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

The key is finding out what the cattle were fed on and where they spent their lives. If entirely grass fed and in fields then there is zero wrong with eating red meat every day.

If they were raised in feedlots as in industrial beef production in USA then I would not eat any red meat. Cattle are meant to live in fields and eat grass not live in feedlots and eat grain.

We are lucky in Ireland that we can get quality red meat. Ask the butcher about the above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bruno26 wrote: »
    The key is finding out what the cattle were fed on and where they spent their lives. If entirely grass fed and in fields then there is zero wrong with eating red meat every day.

If they were raised in feedlots as in industrial beef production in USA then I would not eat any red meat. Cattle are meant to live in fields and eat grass not live in feedlots and eat grain.

We are lucky in Ireland that we can get quality red meat. Ask the butcher about the above.

Exactly. Much of the bad rep red meat has is as a result of tests on the dreadful hormone boosted postbox red stuff they sell in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

spurious wrote: »
    Exactly. Much of the bad rep red meat has is as a result of tests on the dreadful hormone boosted postbox red stuff they sell in the US.

That's a spurious post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Nothing wrong with red meat, or animal fats in general as part of a balanced diet. I'm studying cardiovascular disease in college at the moment and a lot of the research that condemned the consumption of fat is very sketchy and outdated. You'd be more at risk from eating a high carb, low fat diet that had excessive calories because obesity is the primary risk factor for those complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

The Horizon programme alluded to more or less stated that unprocessed red meat is fine-its the processed stuff like rashers ,sausages, chorizo, sliced ham etc that does the damage..see the link below..

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Nothing wrong with red meat, or animal fats in general as part of a balanced diet. I'm studying cardiovascular disease in college at the moment and a lot of the research that condemned the consumption of fat is very sketchy and outdated. You'd be more at risk from eating a high carb, low fat diet that had excessive calories because obesity is the primary risk factor for those complications.

Excessive calories is by far the main contributor. Why didn't you include high fat diet with excessive calories, which is the usual diet? I don't understand how people see a high calorie diet and talk about the macro-nutrient composition as the problem.

The thread is about red meat!
    Only saw some of horizon. Did he address how cattle are fed and raised? If not then any conclusions are worthless. Its all about how cattle are fed and their environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Excessive calories is by far the main contributor. Why didn't you include high fat diet with excessive calories, which is the usual diet? I don't understand how people see a high calorie diet and talk about the macro-nutrient composition as the problem.

No sorry the point I was trying to make was that it doesn't really matter where the nutrients come from, just that a low fat high carb diet is still sometimes recommended to maintain heart health, but no matter what your macronutrient source, if calorie intake is excessive it's going to cause problems down the line due to obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Did he address how cattle are fed and raised?
    they did
    Excessive calories is by far the main contributor. Why didn't you include high fat diet with excessive calories, which is the usual diet?
    They spoke of the possible dangers of lean red meat in it, for the same calories. Basically saying if you ate 500kcal of lean meat you might be worse off than 500kcal of fatty meat.

There was some substance that lean red muscle tissue was high in and said to be damaging, this substance was not high or possibly not even present in the likes of chicken. So if eating lean red meat at the same calorie rate you were ingesting more of this substance, as I don't think the fat contained much if any of the substance.

Your Dad is right. We should listen to the older generation sometimes. There is nothing wrong with fat. It's actually good for us. I reckon there is more chance of getting blocked arteries by not eating some fat. You should read The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It addresses all our concerns about red meat. If I lived in US I'd be very reluctant to eat red meat unless I knew exactly how it was produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Is there many reputable studies out there looking at things like how insulin levels and inflammation can affect things like the build up of cholesterol in the arteries?
    I heard some interesting people on rob wolf's podcasts putting forward this view but after reading the book bad science I've no faith in my own reading non cochrane reviewed studies

So testing has begun: I had a sirloin steak for dinner.

Je ne regrette rien.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I may or may not have had 400g of beef for dinner

fight the system!!!1

Advertisement