Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend. Is staying in the new going out?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

What some people have as their weekend fun is really just a normal weekday night i.e. watch some tv series or a movie. Don't know how people don't get bored doing it all weekend too. If I wasn't going out to the pubs and having the craic at least once a week and often twice I'd get fierce bored and miss out on a lot of craic. I'm nearly 30 and am going out as much now as I did in college, more if anything at times due to being able to afford it much more.

The weekend night you spend in watching a movie is also much more enjoyable when its recharging the batteries rather than doing it all weekend every weekend.

You dont seem to be realising that people get fed up of doing the same things again and again and again. And that's what drinking becomes when you hit your 30s. I am 32 and have been doing it for 16 years. It's old.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    You dont seem to be realising that people get fed up of doing the same things again and again and again. And that's what drinking becomes when you hit your 30s. I am 32 and have been doing it for 16 years. It's old.

I'm enjoying it every bit as much now as I did 10 years ago.

I'm enjoying it every bit as much now as I did 10 years ago.

Good for you. I find it repetitive and tedious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

worded wrote: »
    70 - drink

Bad pint :-(

I'd hazard a guess that it was the e70 spent on drink that has you feeling rotten. Bad pint me arse!

Hate when people use that as an excuse for a hangover. There's ALOT of bad pints being served all over the country weekend in / weekend out in that case.

Nib wrote: »
    I couldn't care less if a person drinks or not. It's none of my business, but they would most likely bore the tits off me.

What a sweeping, ridiculous, comment... yes, because ALL non-drinkers are boring / have no personality / should be shot?? Jesus, this kind of generalisation is stupidity at it's best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I think it's possible to stay in but still create the ambiance of going out.
    We've a projector at home, so instead of heading to the cinema we'll stick on a dvd instead, I'll get the OH to make some popcorn while I flush €10 down the toilet,

Or if I'm getting a beer I'll stand in front of the fridge for 5 minutes looking frustrated while trying to attract the imaginary barman's attention before I get my beer,

One of my friend's Dave is originally from Nigeria, so sometimes I ask him to come over and hang out in our toilet and hand me some kitchen paper after I've washed my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I'm thinking the people who don't go out much have no friends which is OK.

Not for me though, I'm a social person. If you don't drink do us all a favor and stay out of the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Monday night or Tuesday night is usually date night.
    Wednesday night I catch up on my tv, whatever I've recorded during the week.
    Thursday night we usually go for dinner.
    Friday night I spend it getting myself prepared for Saturday night.
    Saturday night and Sunday is a day for boozing.

I like routines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

If you don't drink do us all a favor and stay out of the pub.

I do drink but I find this very harsh. If you didn't drink and most of your circle of friends did and spend a lot of their times in pubs then you should have every right to be with them if you wanted to, drinking a water or Fanta or nothing.

I have some friends who would only drink once in a blue moon but they would still always be at the pub with mates and would thrive in the pub atmosphere regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Going out has totally changed for me over the years. In my earlier years there were all weekend beer sessions with some breaks in between for a kebab or burger, followed by a nightclub and some form of a house party afterwards.

These days, it would typically involve dinner, heading to a bar around midnight and chilling there with some friends until 5 or 6 taking it nice and easy. No nightclubs or kebabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

jester77 wrote: »
    Going out has totally changed for me over the years. In my earlier years there were all weekend beer sessions with some breaks in between for a kebab or burger, followed by a nightclub and some form of a house party afterwards.

These days, it would typically involve dinner, heading to a bar around midnight and chilling there with some friends until 5 or 6 taking it nice and easy. No nightclubs or kebabs.

I got really excited there , thinking this guy knows a bar that stays open till 5-6am were in here lads...

Then I saw it...

Not for me though, I'm a social person. If you don't drink do us all a favor and stay out of the pub.

What a stupid attitude to have. How does drinking or not drinking decide whether or not you are a social person? Christ i hate the irish attitude to alcohol. Your post encapsulates the idiocy of it perfectly.

I drink. I also do lots of other stuff. I have many friends. Just because I choose what gigs / clubs I go to doesn't mean I don't have any.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

A lot of couples who post on this thread stay in.

Most of the singles go out to get lucky

There are always dating sites - but as someone said
    For women the choice is vast like a supermarket with 100 of isles to choose from. For men we get a corner shelf of Aldi

So it's off out to pubs / clubs = empty wallet / hangover / weekend fcuked - rinse / repeat

One tip - drink a litre of water before you start drinking.
    Stick to the one drink

Most of the singles go out to get lucky

There are always dating sites - but as someone said
    For women the choice is vast like a supermarket with 100 of isles to choose from. For men we get a corner shelf of Aldi

So it's off out to pubs / clubs = empty wallet / hangover / weekend fcuked - rinse / repeat

One tip - drink a litre of water before you start drinking.
    Stick to the one drink

If it werent for the ladies i might never go out at all. Used to wonder about guys who would get a gf and disappear off the scene. Now i am looking for a gf to be able to do just that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

:pac:

Personally I find being in a relationship has almost the opposite effect, it results in being out more often I would say as you have all the nights out with your own friends/work crowd and then have lots of additional nights out with your gf's friends have organised nights out and of course nights where you just go out together with no one else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

why does it have to be so black and white as drinker/non drinker?

Theres a middle ground in which I seem to fall into which is drink when appropriate.If i feel like a drink,ill have a drink.If there's an occasion ill do the same.

But as for the going out every weekend because its the weekend,thats bull****.Maybe im too busy and need to chill out,but the thought of losing a sunday or saturday to do work/important things would be a disaster for the week coming.

I've had a dicussion not too long about this to one of my friends and the conclusiom was that weekend going out is for people who are strictly 9-5 with no aims. That might seem a little bit severe,but anybody who can afford to waste time going out every satuday can't have many projects/interests/responsibilities going on. Basically if you're a call centre worker,go for it.If not,readjust.Sure even students need the weekend for work.

I've had a dicussion not too long about this to one of my friends and the conclusiom was that weekend going out is for people who are strictly 9-5 with no aims. That might seem a little bit severe,but anybody who can afford to waste time going out every satuday can't have many projects/interests/responsibilities going on. Basically if you're a call centre worker,go for it.If not,readjust.Sure even students need the weekend for work.

I couldn't agree with that. Lots of people I know including myself are highly qualified and have challenging jobs that are certainly not 9 to 5 and it doesn't hinder going out most weekends (and some week nights too from time to time). I sleep in at weekends and spend a high percentage of time watching sport and if I'm home working on the farm regardless if I've been out the night before or not so going out doesn't change much.

If anything working in a challenging job means you go out more often due to needing to unwind from work and also having more disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭begrandx

why does it have to be so black and white as drinker/non drinker

Don't agree with this, I know loads of people who work hard and are career focused myself included who find it a release to go out, let the hair down and unwind. Each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sometimes I get my arm twisted into going out when I'm not in the mood, you know when someone rings up and starts saying 'come on out to fcuk, please come on I'm here on my own.'

That's why I find it good practice to turn off my phone after 6 on a Friday or Saturday when I know I want to stay in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Staying in is not the new going out.

To be truthful (and probably a little harsh), the reason that staying in is the popular answer on this thread is that Boards is wedged with socially awkward people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yeh staying in has never been the new going out. People still go out as much as ever, it's just people's tendency to go out reduces as they get older. And boards has some old people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeh staying in has never been the new going out. People still go out as much as ever, it's just people's tendency to go out reduces as they get older. And boards has some old people. :)

Four score and seven years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stevowhelo1

I'll have to agree with staying in and a few doobs . Maybe with 2 or 3 mates, maybe some drinks and some pot, good movie , good food :) perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I go out every weekend, it helps me unwind from a stressful busy week, love a laugh and a few beers and meeting new people. People who stay in tend to be bitter and resentful wishing they were a bit more fun and confident. They're always leaving miserable messages on my Facebook pics and updates from my night out.

Advertisement