Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend. Is staying in the new going out?

Options
  • 27-09-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I'm in. It's a Saturday night. Somehow I've always preferred the company of Netflix, Sky+, a bottle of wine, Spotify on full blast with a packet of malteasers etc to going out on the town and mingling in bars or clubs.

How much of a night owl out on the town do you consider yourself to be? Does the idea of staying in at the weekend with a film and the other half sound appealing after a long week at the office? Or does the excitement of a certain bar/disco/club/latest hip joint have you jumping on the 46A faster than you can say 'Tia Maria'?

Do you prefer staying in or going out? 177 votes

Depends on my mood, what's on or who i'm meeting.
    0% 0 votes
    I prefer going out
    71% 127 votes
    I prefer staying in
    28% 50 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I haven't been out on a saturday night for a year or so. Mainly cos I'm not very social, its very expensive, I don't drink, etc. Judging by my Facebook newsfeed though, I'm in a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I prefer staying in - but that's mainly because I have zero interest in clubs or pubs. Haven't been in a pub in at least two years. I'd rather actually go to stuff (gigs, comedy shows, plays, etc), but most people I know seem to prefer pubs.

I go out if there's something worth going out for, that I'll enjoy and have fun doing, and I'll go out on occasion if I'm socially obligated even if I won't enjoy myself that much.

Otherwise I'll stay in and enjoy my own company and make my own entertainment.

I think most answers will be along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I feel I lose touch with people if I don't make an effort to out. I'm not massively keen on going out in Dublin as I think it's just too expensive but like to mix with people too maybe twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

RayM wrote: »
    I prefer staying in - but that's mainly because I have zero interest in clubs or pubs. Haven't been in a pub in at least two years. I'd rather actually go to stuff (gigs, comedy shows, plays, etc), but most people I know seem to prefer pubs.

I find this is the case with a lot of my friends too. Sometimes when you don't want to go to events not involving solely around alcohol it can be difficult to find mates to partake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I like a few pints, but I hardly ever go out on a Saturday night.

That's when every town and city is full of the crowd who go out once a week and get absolutely hammered, fall around the place in their checked shirts looking for a row, or at the very least making a complete nuisance of themselves.

You meet a far better class of drinker out during the week. Of course the problem with going out on a weekday is that you probably don't have the following day off, but it's worth it to avoid the Saturday crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

i would love to be out having fun. but im too mature for my age and friendless. Jhcx is not impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Go out during the week, get messy, pump a bird or two.

Weekends are for clean eating,training, study and smashing a box set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Never 'stayed in' at weekends before I had kids and thought it a bit weird to have a drink at home but since then I've realized it's a really nice way to spend a weekend evening.

That said, I still love gong out when I can so I'd never say having a night in supplants going out, rather it is equal to it in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

get out there te fcuk you sad b@stards

Checking boards, try and cool down a little before putting me good shorts on before i head to Space. Get her bucked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I find I usually have to plan nights out in advance as I live a fair distance from town and don't have much money.. To be honest, unless it's something I REALLY want to go to, I generally find that lately I stay local for the sake of expenses as I can't justify spending the bones of €20+ on a taxi home at 10pm.
    If I stay local I can usually stay out a bit later so that's what I do. Also, Saturday nights are when the clubs/pubs are crowded so I tend to stick to mid-week event. There's not much to do in Swords anyways aside from the drag queen bingo in Wrights Cafe on a Tuesday.
    That's the height of fun for me right there. :)
    Now if only we could arrange a Boardsie Beers in Swords one night....

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I love a good night out but I just can't deal with the hangovers anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    I love a good night out but I just can't deal with the hangovers anymore :(

Yep, even worse when coupled with lack of sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Staying in is better. No closing time and your own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭worded

Went out fri night with 110 euro.

10 - smokes
    20 - table quiz
    70 - drink
    10 - taxi

Got into a cab and barely made it the door. Bad pint :-(
    Spent the whole day in bed sat in bits. Been a long time since I felt this fcuked.

There is a huge mental price to pay after a big night out.

Stayed in tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Used to go out 2-3 times a week. Now I'm old and married and have no desire for the effort involved in all that.

Id say I've been out out ten times in the last five years and I dont miss it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

worded wrote: »
    Went out fri night with 110 euro.

10 - smokes
    20 - table quiz
    70 - drink
    10 - taxi

Got into a cab and barely made it the door. Bad pint :-(
    Spent the whole day in bed sat in bits. Been a long time since I felt this fcuked.

There is a huge mental price to pay after a big night out.

Stayed in tonight.

As a comparison...

Went out on Fri night with 70 euro.

10 - Chinese meal
    7 - Entry
    28 - Drink
    8 - taxi

Some Assholes about.

Stayed in tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know today is Sunday and yesterday was Saturday but it never occurs to me that I missed "Saturday night". I don't really go out that much, I just can't give up 2/3s of the week feeling sh!te after a bender. I work shifts as well so I prefer to relax with bottle of wine at home on my weekends off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I do like going out with friends but the problem with outside is that you're forced to interact with the general public who are, on the whole, appalling.

I like to have at least one night out if not two per week, I really enjoying being out in the pubs. I also like to have a relaxing weekend every now and then or to have one of the weekend nights being a relaxing one so would often go out Thursday night and leave one weekend night free. I love the mental weekends too where you are out from Friday after work, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon for the cure but they are tiring.

I'd get very bored staying in at weekends and enjoy a weekend in much more when it's taking a break after a lot of going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I like a few pints, but I hardly ever go out on a Saturday night.

That's when every town and city is full of the crowd who go out once a week and get absolutely hammered, fall around the place in their checked shirts looking for a row, or at the very least making a complete nuisance of themselves.

You meet a far better class of drinker out during the week. Of course the problem with going out on a weekday is that you probably don't have the following day off, but it's worth it to avoid the Saturday crowd.

Sounds like a load of **** to be honest. Most of us go out just to socialize with our friends after a hard weeks work.what monster we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

McChubbin wrote: »
    I find I usually have to plan nights out in advance as I live a fair distance from town and don't have much money.. To be honest, unless it's something I REALLY want to go to, I generally find that lately I stay local for the sake of expenses as I can't justify spending the bones of €20+ on a taxi home at 10pm.
    If I stay local I can usually stay out a bit later so that's what I do. Also, Saturday nights are when the clubs/pubs are crowded so I tend to stick to mid-week event. There's not much to do in Swords anyways aside from the drag queen bingo in Wrights Cafe on a Tuesday.
    That's the height of fun for me right there. :)
    Now if only we could arrange a Boardsie Beers in Swords one night....

I live near Swords... Would you not get a nitelink rather than a taxi? You'd save a fortune if you wanted to go out in town.

I used to go out every weekend but I must be getting old because I go out once every 2 months or so now and seem to spend a lot of it thinking about how crap everywhere has gotten! Last night I stayed in my boyfriend's house, had Chinese and a few drinks, watched casualty and Shaun of the Dead and it was delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I love going out...but its so ridiculously expensive:( A good night out could put you down 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I love going out...but its so ridiculously expensive:( A good night out could put you down 50 euro

50 Euro? That's not bad going.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

bb1234567 wrote: »

I would be delighted if it cost that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Up until about 2 years ago, I'd be out Friday and Saturday night but my hangovers started to get really, really bad. I'd have really dark thoughts and it would depress me for the week and I used to dread them before I even went out. Going out here means you don't meet up 'till 11pm as things don't get started 'till then so you know your next day is gone. As boring as it sounds, I'm not willing to sacrifice my precious free time sitting on my couch feeling awful and would rather meet for a few drinks during thee day (as I did yesterday and will do again this afternoon) and do stuff, so I go out the odd time now and take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

If I had a pair of breasticles I would go out every Saturday night.

Free drinks ahoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I went out last night for the first time in ages. Paying for it now though, im in a jock

I went out last night for the first time in ages. Paying for it now though, im in a jock

Spare a thought for the jacks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

It costs me €30 on taxis alone to head out. Add in another €12 for a club, €2 for cloakroom and €6 for grub afterwards and that's €50 without even having a drink.

**** that.

Advertisement