Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Could've as could of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Jaxxy wrote: »
    Anyone who says/writes/posts that they're "weary" of something or someone, when they really mean wary.

I don't understand your point. They have two completely different meanings.

To be weary of someone or something means to be tired of or bored with them. To be wary of something or someone means to be unsure or suspicious of them. Therefore anyone saying "weary" might very well mean exactly that & not mean "wary" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Martin567 wrote: »

That is my point.
    To be weary of someone or something means to be tired of or bored with them.

Yes, it does.
    To be wary of something or someone means to be unsure or suspicious of them.

Yes, it does.
    Therefore anyone saying "weary" might very well mean exactly that & not mean "wary" at all.

It is obviously all about context. For example, if someone said to you, "I heard a noise downstairs in the kitchen and I was very weary when I checked it out", you would know in this instance they actually mean "wary", as in cautious, as opposed to "weary", meaning tired.

Seriously, if you've never encountered the misuse of weary and wary, then you're lucky to have FB friends who are literate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Break instead of brake and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Martin567 wrote: »

To be weary of someone or something means to be tired of or bored with them. To be wary of something or someone means to be unsure or suspicious of them. Therefore anyone saying "weary" might very well mean exactly that & not mean "wary" at all.

Her point was your point. That's clearly why she posted it in this thread.

I don't understand YOUR point! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Her point was your point. That's clearly why she posted it in this thread.

I don't understand YOUR point! :confused:

I interpreted the original post as meaning that anyone who ever wrote that they were weary of something or someone had made an error as they should have written "wary".

I've never seen these two words mixed up before and the point of the original post wasn't completely clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wreckless instead of RECKLESS
    There's one man to blame for that one: Wreckless Eric. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you're on Twiter, then follow The Grammar Garda

www.twitter.com/thegrammargarda

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

glynf wrote: »
    People who use 'to' instead of 'too'.

These young un's and their text speak..
    Guilty as sin for that. Lol such a boring life you lead to notice :p For me it would be. They're,their. But I could care less. Who am I judging anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Compliment instead of complement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

We're all human beans, we all make mistakes.

Repeatedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

"wierd" instead of the correct spelling "weird" ..... really grinds my gears :mad:

crannglas wrote: »
    Guilty as sin for that. Lol such a boring life you lead to notice :p For me it would be. They're,their. But I could care less. Who am I judging anyone.

I hate this one! :( So you do care then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Repeatedly?

Ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

people, have saw it spelled as peple and ppl. gets on my goat

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

I have more important things to worry about in life, than waste my time with pedantic irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have more important things to worry about in life, than waste my time with pedantic irrelevance.
    Yet you're posting on the Boards.IE After Hours forum. I can smell the cognitive dissonance from here ... :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Spelling doesn't bother me much but I can't abide bad grammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Tarzana wrote: »
    How do you know if people are saying "could've" or "could of" though? They sound kinda the same, as could've is a contraction so you're running 'could' and 'have' together. Same with 'should'. Now, writing down "could of" or "should of" is pretty bad. I'm just not convinced they'd sound all that different in speech.

They don't really sound the same. The same people write "could of / should of / would of" so I know they are saying "of" and not " 've".

But it annoys me even more when I see something that a person has written which uses "of". Do they not even look at what they've written? Or sorry should I say "do they not even look at what they of written" :D :pac:

I think there needs to be a nationwide campaign against the incorrect use of words like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

2 stroke wrote: »
    Spelling doesn't bother me much but I can't abide bad grammer.

I agree. When he's bad, he's very bad. But he was great in Cheers and Frasier wasn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I agree. When he's bad, he's very bad. But he was great in Cheers and Frasier wasn't he?

Whereas she was awful in Beverley Hills 90210

I like when people misspell words.

It makes it easier to spot re reg posters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I like when people misspell words.

It makes it easier to spot re reg posters :)

Are re regs on average uneducated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Are re regs on average uneducated?

Education is nothing to do with it - I know lots of well educated people who couldn't class spelling as one of their strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

tinkerbell wrote: »
    They don't really sound the same. The same people write "could of / should of / would of" so I know they are saying "of" and not " 've".

They sound very similar. Not exactly identical but very similar.

Everyone you think has said "of" instead of "'ve", you've also seen them write it? I doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I was reading an otherwise well-written article, when horror of horrors, the author wrote "wet the appetite" instead of "whet".

It did not annoy me, but it was surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

When people say collage instead of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭howyanow

For me it has to be people mis-spelling Licence.
    Actually find it very annoying as it seems to be everywhere.

howyanow wrote: »
    Wrong as in "license"? Too much US English going around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

howyanow wrote: »

It could be a misspelling. But there are two different words in British English. The verb to license and the noun licence. Similar to advise/advice and practise/practice. So you would have to state the context to judge if the spelling is correct.

Advertisement