Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It does my feckin head in when people use "of" instead of "have" :mad: How did such a huge chunk of the population miss that lesson in school?

Eg people saying I would of, I could of. Aaarrrrggghhhhh.

No, it's I would've or I could've where 've is short for have not of. I mean seriously - do these people not even think of what they are saying? How does I would of even make sense?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Drakares wrote: »
    You know that when you post here, people respond to you in such a way because, judging from any posts you make, because you are a despicable person. I'm sure your future posts will result in such responses.

Here's just a piece of utter smugness from your "blog":

I mean, do you ever just think about how pathetic your outlook on life is? Judging other people and thinking you're superior when you're clearly not. You're full of shít mate.

And idgaf, I will take the ban.. Just saying what everyone else is thinking.

I'm thinking that's a spoof account, so I wouldn't bother getting wound up!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

being / been
    could of / could've

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Not exactly on topic but "irregardless". The word is just "regardless".
    It's irritating and irrestupid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

When ad is written as add.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Seperate

VERY common. I presume you intentionally misspelled it there?

On the lose/loose thing. I know the difference between these but frequently, if in a hurry, I'll mix them up. I'm not sure why. I'm not going to say it's slight dyslexia, as I think that would be being over-dramatic but it's *something* that cause me to at times have difficulty with these two words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Eg people saying I would of, I could of. Aaarrrrggghhhhh.

How do you know if people are saying "could've" or "could of" though? They sound kinda the same, as could've is a contraction so you're running 'could' and 'have' together. Same with 'should'. Now, writing down "could of" or "should of" is pretty bad. I'm just not convinced they'd sound all that different in speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

So many people struggle with the spelling of "definitely", it's a crime, most browsers have spell check and phones have auto-correct, there's no excuse for it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

omg wah da fk dis tred bn trnd in2!???!?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Any txt speak online or actual texts with old txt speak from people you know have smart phones with fully functional keyboards. It actually takes MORE effort to type lyk dis nowadays if you use a smart phone since autocorrect can finish words after just a few letters, so there are idiots that put effort into trying to appear like they put no effort into writing messages. I guess it's acceptable if you're still a teenager going through school but any fully educated adult that talks to me like that gets no respect.

Confusing woman and women - how is this possible? Especially women themselves actually doing it.

Anyone who did English at school and does not know the correct usage of you're & your, there & their & they're etc. Your English teachers more than likely drummed this into you. Couldn't believe how common these mistakes were in emails from professionals in an office.

Irregardless - I shouldn't have to explain this one really

Can think of lots more but they've probably already been posted. Honestly, a lot of us only speak and write in one language so we should be aiming to master it instead of butchering it out of laziness, myself included at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Angle/Angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

their/they're/there

ask/axe

weight/wait

what/wut

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

This irritates me:-

My car had good brakes.

not

My car has good breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

"Then" instead of "Than" drives me off my nut.

Not only that, but not only did my course lecturer write it that way from time to time, she also said it that way! So I heard her literally say "equal to or less then".

What in the holy....... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

There, their, they're...
    Of instead of have or 've...
    Spurious apostrophes and text speak in emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

There is at least four people that appear on my FB timeline that always spell COLLEGE wrong.... It's not COLLAGE!!!! It takes everything in me not to correct them...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The past tense of the verb to lead is becoming more commonly fcuked up as well.

lead (pronounced "leed") is the present or infinitive of the verb
    led is the past tense

lead (pronounced "led") is a fcuking metal

But you see crap like "he was lead to believe.." in newspaper articles.

That old MS Spellchecker again. Does more harm than good.

Don't get me started on "should OF..", "would OF.."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

proberbly/probably
    lose/loose

I notice that teh is now not a thing very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Egginacup wrote: »

led is the past tense

You would think whoever invented this language would have had the good sense to apply that to Read pronounced Reed and Read pronounced Red. Absolute madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Egginacup wrote: »

led is the past tense

Well, you can lead a horse to water,
    but a pencil has to be lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

I have seen this often.

Special deal on purchasing a new car: 'One year's free road tax'

Should it not be 'Free road tax for one year'.

Its more incorrect sentence structure than spelling but it is still annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Queue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Anyone who says/writes/posts that they're "weary" of something or someone, when they really mean wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

One guy in my lecture spells torque as tourqe, bear in mind he has a mechanical engineering degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Flouride for fluoride.

(Look at the thread that's open on it- every second poster repeats the mistake)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wreckless instead of RECKLESS

Applause wrote: »
    So many people struggle with the spelling of "definitely", it's a crime, most browsers have spell check and phones have auto-correct, there's no excuse for it. :(

I think sometimes it's an auto-correct problem that goes unnoticed by the writer. I hope, anyway.

I once read '...a girl who is defiantly in my collage...' on this forum. I'm still reeling from the horror.

I marked work recently where the words weary/wary were misused by the brightest of people.
    'I'm weary of drawing conclusions, in spite of the evidence....'

The ever-present and incredibly lazy 'alot' irritates me as it's obviously not a word, which means that for some people the insertion of a space is too much effort.

I make plenty of mistakes myself, especially when I'm tired. I can overdo the commas and have been an apostrophe offender, but you can usually tell a poster who's made a typo from the ones who can't be bothered.

Lack of capitalisation also irks me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

It's like that song:

♫ Oh I, I just died in you're arm's tonight
    It must of being something you wrote said,
    I should of walked away. ♫

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There is at least four people that appear on my FB timeline that always spell COLLEGE wrong.... It's not COLLAGE!!!! It takes everything in me not to correct them...

There ARE

Advertisement