Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What commonly misspelled words annoy you the most?

Options
  • 24-09-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is the standard of spelling, particularly amongst younger people, absolutely atrocious?

People spelling college as collage is the one that irks me the most. What about you?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Is it just me, or is the standard of spelling, particularly amongst younger people, absolutely atrocious?

People spelling college as collage is the one that irks me the most. What about you?

Angus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Antidisestablishmentarianism

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Halcyon, pantomime and Drumshanbo.

But they don't annoy me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

People who use 'to' instead of 'too'.

These young un's and their text speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

laods

• Advertisement

Loose/lose
    Breath/breathe
    Your/you're

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Grammar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

発音

Hate it when that's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Don't get me started on people who overuse commas in a sentence especially when they are not needed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In general: Some people who are going to college or have been through such hallowed halls. They can still leave with a doctorate and an inability to spell their way through a simple sentence. I'm not talking about late night on a net forum when people are tired, drunk or typing fast. I mean in an essay that they're submitting for an assignment or later on, a report for work. Simple things that a spell checker will pass on but are patently wrong at a glance - (spell that "patently" as "patiently" and see what Word says about it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Seperate
    To/too

Bad spelling irks me, whatever the word, especially in public news outlets (it is part of their job to use language correctly). Even the RTE news website is not immune !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Seperate
    To/too

Bad spelling irks me, whatever the word, especially in public news outlets (it is part of their job to use language correctly). Even the RTE news website is not immune !

The Journal have to be the worst offenders. That "news outlet" reads like a transition year work project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Lose - Loose.
    To - Too.

The whole they're, there, their thing too, pretty basic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

quite instead of quiet

there instead of their

Laods of ofenders. ;)

My local newspaper is very obviously not proofread: syntax, spellings, omissions, typos... Have they no pride in what they do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Is it just me or is the standard of spelling, particularly amongst younger people, absolutely atrocious?

I took that surplus comma out of your first sentence. I'm collecting surplus comma's and using them incorrectly, as apostrophes, to annoy people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Fcuk U.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I took that surplus comma out of your first sentence. I'm collecting surplus comma's and using them incorrectly, as apostrophes, to annoy people like you.

I speak in a slow and deliberate manner. It lends gravitas and authority to my speech. The commas in that sentence are a reflection on how I speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Seperate
    To/too

It would be clearer if you spelled Separate correctly. Some people may not have recognised Seperate as a misspelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

gorjus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

RETAIL

Some people spell it RETAIL when it's obviously supposed to be RETAIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I speak in a slow and deliberate manner. It lends gravitas and authority to my speech. The commas in that sentence are a reflection on how I speak.

Well either that or it makes you look slow in the head :pac:

It would be clearer if you spelled Separate correctly. Some people may not have recognised Seperate as a misspelling.
    True.
    Then again, it is a thread about wrong spellings...

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    RETAIL

Some people spell it RETAIL when it's obviously supposed to be RETAIL.
    Sales

Sales

Gah! I should have spell-chequered my post!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Been and being. I see those two mixed up a lot on here.

Also tread and thread. People calling a treadmill a threadmill.....grrrrr.

I love been a has being

Thread lightly because you thread on my seams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I speak in a slow and deliberate manner, it lends gravitas and authority to my speech.

A comma between your first two sentences would be preferable to a full stop as what 'it' refers to becomes unambiguous.

Advertisement