Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yea very close racing in places, elbow to elbow at the start..

A lot of racers need to learn to call "on the left" or "on the right" when attempting a pass to avoid any clashing of bars though.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Tenzor07 wrote: »

A lot of racers need to learn to call "on the left" or "on the right" when attempting a pass to avoid any clashing of bars though.... :(

You mean so you can defend easier against a pass? ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tbf simply calling doesn't allow you through ! If on the same lap the rider ahead is perfectly entitled to try to stop you getting past...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raam wrote: »
    You mean so you can defend easier against a pass? ;-)

Great minds think alike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

A lot of racers need to learn the difference between left and right first!!!
    Heard a " on the right , on the right"... Obeyed request... Instantly Passed then on the left!!!!

Learnt today that cyclo cross is hard.... Very very hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Raam wrote: »
    I saw two lads in the B race get tangled and plough right into the barriers ahead of me. One lad got a rather large and possibly embarrassing rip in his shorts. It looked sore.

They went down right in front of me! Spectacular crash...spent most of rest of the lap looking at yer mans bare ar$e! Great motivation to pass I can tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

RobFowl wrote: »
    Tbf simply calling doesn't allow you through ! If on the same lap the rider ahead is perfectly entitled to try to stop you getting past...

Yep, I got told "come on lady get out the way" in the woods on the last lap. Guess he wanted me to stop so he could get by, his race was obviously more important than mine.

Yup, true, had someone say on the right when he was just behind my back wheel, now that was wrong(too far back), but if someone is silently trying to pass you at an awkward corner or drop, well it could save both riders lost places by calling out just as you pass....as opposed to where you would Like to pass..

nak wrote: »
    Yep, I got told "come on lady get out the way" in the woods on the last lap. Guess he wanted me to stop so he could get by, his race was obviously more important than mine.

Not very sportsmanlike, the top riders, e,g Seymour usually always say "on the left please..." etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Not very sportsmanlike, the top riders, e,g Seymour usually always say "on the left please..." etc...

I know and there's no point acting the ar*e on the last lap just before the finish when you aren't going to catch anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Well done everyone. I was spectating, nice to meet Nak at the coffee stop afterwards. There was a fair turnout of Boardsies, riding and spectating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Enjoyed the race though seems odd doing cross in the warm and sunny conditions !
    Needs more mud IMO ....

Apologies if you brought out the wheels today. I had to dash after the race. The sun was nice. You can keep the mud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I wasn't even spectating. Cough and fever and face pain for two days now.... :(:(:( I get it always once a year at random time - why this weekend ffs :confused::confused: Dying light and this race in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Are the results available anywhere????

Are the results available anywhere????

Yes:

https://www.facebook.com/supercrosscup

Provisional of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Those links won't open for me. says, I need permission.

oopss. ok, original links are here: https://www.facebook.com/supercrosscup

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Good craic, thanks to the organisers for a great show! I lasted 3.5 laps before puncturing in the forest section, grrrr!

Anyone out there running a single chainring? If so, how have you got it set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I was looking at it but haven't done it yet. You can go for bash rings and chain guides, which quite a few people are using. Alternatively you can look at a narrow wide chain ring on the front. I'm still investigating it tho

• Advertisement

The SRAM stuff looks nice but I ain't paying 800e just to get rid of a chainring.

Narrow wide chainring and clutch rear mech will do the job for around €100 or so....

You can remove the front mech also if you like, and change the left shifter to a standard brake only lever to save weight

Narrow wide chainring and clutch rear mech will do the job for around €100 or so....

You can remove the front mech also if you like, and change the left shifter to a standard brake only lever to save weight

My son has just finished his conversion. He has a narrow/ wide 36 chainring on Shimano 105 cranks, 105 5700 shifter, 10 speed cassette (11-32), and a shimano clutch rear mech. He has it working spot on. I had a go on it, this afternoon, seems perfect to me. He had to make an adaptor for the mech to adjust the cable shift.
    I will be using this bike on Sunday, in the CX race, in the North. It will be my first ever CX race.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    My son has just finished his conversion. He has a narrow/ wide 36 chainring on Shimano 105 cranks, 105 5700 shifter, 10 speed cassette (11-32), and a shimano clutch rear mech. He has it working spot on. I had a go on it, this afternoon, seems perfect to me. He had to make an adaptor for the mech to adjust the cable shift.
    I will be using this bike on Sunday, in the CX race, in the North. It will be my first ever CX race.

Why did he need an adaptor for cable shift???

countrykid wrote: »
    Why did he need an adaptor for cable shift???

Because the Shimano 105 shifter is not 100% compatible with the Shimano Zee rear mech, that he's using. The Zee mech needs slightly less cable to shift than a Shimano road mech.
    This is the mech, that he's using

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-zee-m640-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod82431

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Because the Shimano 105 shifter is not 100% compatible with the Shimano Zee rear mech, that he's using. The Zee mech needs slightly less cable to shift than a Shimano road mech.
    This is the mech, that he's using

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-zee-m640-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod82431

Very good
    Nice to see engineering fixs being used..
    Where do you source the narrow wide ring!?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think, it was one of these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/race-face-single-narrowwide-chainring/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

quick question tenzor - do you know offhand what clutch rear mechs are compatible with road brifters?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement