Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards European Championship Tournament

Options
  • 13-09-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

IMG_2883_zpsc328ccd9.jpg

Thought I might as well go ahead and round off the series with a lesser prestigious title but one that was around for the duration of the hottest periods in wrestling, the Attitude Era. Debuting on February 26, 1997 after an 8 man single-elimination tournament in Germany after a series of WWF television tapings, the British Bulldog defeated Owen Hart in a classic to become the first European champion. This would start a 5 1/2 year existence of the belt dedicated to the continent of Europe. There have been 27 overall champions of this belt with 37 reigns altogether. Some of the greatest names in the modern era have held the title including Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero and, erm, Mideon.

Since number-wise we have an unfriendly amount of tournament participants, all multiple time champions will receive a bye into the quarter finals.

Rules for Round 1

*All draws are made using a random number generator.

*First to attain 3 votes will progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Round 1 Match

Shawn Michaels

The First Ever Grand Slam Champion

559842.jpg

vs

Owen Hart

The Black Hart

559814.jpg

I'll kick us off by casting a vote for Owen Hart. Had a decent feud with Hunter for the title and competed for it at WrestleMania 14. Also had a cracker of a match for the belt in Germany vs Davey Boy in the tournament final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Always pissed me right off that the Irish flag wasn't on the bedlt, but the Italian flag is there twice!

Owen for me. Shawn had no interest in the belt and took it off Davey to annoy him. Owen was a far better champ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Owen Hart

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Owen Hart just because

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Owen Hart mostly because of his feuds with HHH

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Owen for me. My main memory of HBK with the title was farcically dropping it to HHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Shawn because that "match" with Hunter cracked me up.

The Hart Foundation triumphs over D-Generation X as the Sole Survivor topples the Showstopper. Next up it's one underachiever vs one over achiever.

Test

The T in T&A

559852.jpg

vs

Diamond Dallas Page

''That's Not a Bad Thing. That's a... Good Thing!''

diamond-dallas-page-tumblrm83nu6psv21qzx70zo1500-1364225805.jpg

Neither set the world on fire, but i'll go for Test as the feud and matches with Eddie were pretty solid.

• Advertisement

Think I'll go with Test myself, have an irrational dislike of DDP from back then (felt he was a pure mark) as evidenced when he jumped into the crowd after beating Christian at WM X8. Test defended the title on possibly the greatest ever Wrestling card of all time at Mania 17. Agree with MM though, neither will win this.

To be honest i don't even remember Page with that title so Test for me

DDP fails to pass the Test and feels the bang at the first hurdle. Next up we have the last ever European champion (who unified it with the IC strap and essesntially retired it) vs a man that won it at WrestleMania 2000 without pinning the defending champion!

Rob Van Dam

Mr Unification

22.jpg

vs

Chris Jericho

Break The (Berlin) Walls Down

jericho.jpg

Rob Van Dam simply because i felt Y2J was way too good for that title and should have never held it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,981 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Y2J every time. I hate RVD!!

I'm gonna go with Y2J also. RVD never really even had the belt, just unified it. Some say he's not even recognised. Also, it looked good on Jericho as per the above picture.

Y2J as well

RVD cant overcome the Y2J problem and is quickly dispatched by the Millennium Man. Next up......

Perry Saturn

The Forgotten Radical

559826.jpg

vs

Val Venis

Bonjour......Ladies

ValVenis_display_image.jpg?1320851064

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Val Venis for sure. He always was one of the guys that never was world title level but lower-mid card title suited him to a tee.

Val Venis for me.

• Advertisement

I'm going to admit it, I was a Saturn mark. Ever since I saw his stuff in ECW I was mesmerised. He was agile as hell back then. In WCW he piled on the bulk and could do some awesome throws etc. I feel like he was a little under utilised in WWE but obviously was outshone by Chris and Eddie. I'm voting for Saturn.

Venis was a great Euro guy though, loved his match at Summerslam vs D'Lo with the chest protector.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The big Valbowski gets my vote. Most of what I remember of Saturn involves Moppy, not a title.

Val. He had plenty of good matches for the title and it fit him well.

Venis beats Saturn in a th.... wait a minute. That's brilliant. Venis. Saturn. They should've tagged. Missed intergalactic opportunity right there.

Spike Dudley

The Runt of the Litter

eurospike_64.jpg

vs

Christian

For now... You're On Your Own!

29_SUR_11182001_0001.jpg

Christian. I don't even remember Spike holding the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Hands Down Christian. He had a great run with the belt and I loved his tantrums during the same period with the title!

Christian, like Moneymaker I don't remember Spike being champ at all.

Christian for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Christian 100% great fun during that period! Lost the title to DDP (I think) failed to reclaim it at mania 18 but then goes on to capture the hardcore title that night!

• Advertisement

Captain Charisma with an absolute whitewash of Little Spike Dudley. I'm not even gonna try hide this, the next match is a total dud....

Bradshaw

Don't Mess With Texas

Bradshaw_vs_The_Huricane_C_WWF_European_Championship_match_0001.jpg

vs

Mark Henry

Sexual Chocolate

559790.jpg

Advertisement