Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Discodog wrote: »

I don't remember changing any settings. Might be an idea to try another handset.
    Could it be ISP disabling service, I'm with Three. Who you with?
    I see you mentioned that in previous post - Three, isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Could it be ISP disabling service, I'm with Three. Who you with?

If you are using a three broadband SIM why would it be enabled for phone services?

Try a three prepay phone SIM with a €20 top up.

my3cents wrote: »
    If you are using a three broadband SIM why would it be enabled for phone services?

Try a three prepay phone SIM with a €20 top up.
    At the moment I have 2 SIM's (1 -prepay and 1 - bill). Also have B593s_22(locked to Three) and E5186s_22(unlocked).
    Still getting busy tone on both. Not denying hardware(phone) incompatibility.
    Any other suggestions?

At the moment I have 2 SIM's (1 -prepay and 1 - bill). Also have B593s_22(locked to Three) and E8156s_22(unlocked).
    Still getting busy tone on both. Not denying hardware(phone) incompatibility.
    Any other suggestions?

So are the SIMs set up for phone use? If the €20 topup doesn't give you AYCED then it isn't a phone SIM.

Obviously why not test the SIM's in an unlocked 3G phone to save wasting time on something that may not work?

So are the SIMs set up for phone use? If the €20 topup doesn't give you AYCED then it isn't a phone SIM.

Obviously why not test the SIM's in an unlocked 3G phone to save wasting time on something that may not work?
    One of the SIM's is €20 topup with unlimited data, still same affect. Have used this card in the mobile phone and it worked OK before.:confused:

• Advertisement

And once again lads, I need your help to get it working.
    Got second landline handset, still no luck.
    I believe B593s-22(locked to 3) can be ruled out as Three have removed the feature altogether.
    The E5186s-22(unlocked) has Voip setting tab(see attachment), but as I mentioned before, i get busy tone if I lift hook/speaker on. Any settings to be entered there?
    SIM is €20 topup with unlimited data and over €50 on the balance.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

You seem to be mixing up mobile phone calls and VOIP. afaik some people can get some of the 3G routers to work with POTS (plain old telephone system) handsets to make mobile phone calls, that is not VOIP which is a different paid for service.

You seem to be mixing up mobile phone calls and VOIP. afaik some people can get some of the 3G routers to work with POTS (plain old telephone system) handsets to make mobile phone calls, that is not VOIP which is a different paid for service.
    Bloody, you right (read to much about voip and got mixed in my own problems).
    So coming back to using credits from sim on handset connected to router.Any ideas.

E8156 has busy tone, B593 has no tone but still wont make call!?

:D At last got it working!!
    Had to reset router to factory defaults as last resource(have to recover all settings now)
    still wonder what settings would have triggered busy tone:confused:
    Anyway thanks for your input.

• Advertisement

Apply to E5186s-22
    1. While calling/in conversation network drops to 3G mode(if "3G/4G Auto" mode selected on router). That's where it takes couple seconds to change network and it takes ages to revert to 4G network after call is over :mad: (reapply settings/reboot speeds it up).
    2. While router is in "4G ONLY" mode, busy tone on the handset and no calls can be made. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

:D At last got it working!!
    Had to reset router to factory defaults as last resource(have to recover all settings now)
    still wonder what settings would have triggered busy tone:confused:
    Anyway thanks for your input.

So what is the setup now?
    Are you using a plain old telephone with tone dial?
    Is it one of the unlocked routers or the 3 , €20 / month?

Thanks

Cerco wrote: »
    So what is the setup now?
    Are you using a plain old telephone with tone dial?
    Is it one of the unlocked routers or the 3 , €20 / month?

Thanks
    Hi
    I am using E5186s-22(unlocked) in "3G/4G Auto" mode with internal antennas, digital phone, Three €20/month PAYG sim card .Works ok'ish , not happy with speeds getting now(see attachment). Before(with B593) had ~40d/20u, but it could be due to need to re position new device.
    Had once very odd one (See "Odd"). Any comments?
    Also have request for advice ( See "Device info"): can some one explain all them figures( for newbie in networking :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Going by this page, your signal strength (RSRP) is good and signal quality readings (RSRQ & SINR) are excellent.

However, as I discovered with my own router, the signal strength/quality readings don't directly correspond with maximum speed, mainly due to 4G using MIMO, i.e. two antennas.

What I suggest you try is find some way of temporarily maxing out the bandwidth, then open Windows Task manager on the Wi-Fi or Ethernet graph in its performance tab. In my case, I went to testmy.net, enabled Multithreading mode (UK server) and started the largest 200MB block test. With the Task Manager network graph open, I started adjusting my antennas until I was achieved the highest throughput reading. If TestMy was about to complete, I would stop & restart the 200MB test to keep the connection maxed out.

This may need to be done early in the day or after midnight to avoid network congestion interfering. With just the router on its own, you can try turning it and moving it side to side to find the sweet spot.

Going by the 'odd.jpg', it looks like the chunk of test data came in at once. For example, if something caused the browser to stall (e.g. HDD waking up) or a virus checker took time to analyse the block before passing it to the browser (I've seen AVG do before a few times), the script would show it as a spike reaching all the data at once.

editorsean wrote: »
    Going by this page, your signal strength (RSRP) is good and signal quality readings (RSRQ & SINR) are excellent.

However, as I discovered with my own router, the signal strength/quality readings don't directly correspond with maximum speed, mainly due to 4G using MIMO, i.e. two antennas.

What I suggest you try is find some way of temporarily maxing out the bandwidth, then open Windows Task manager on the Wi-Fi or Ethernet graph in its performance tab. In my case, I went to testmy.net, enabled Multithreading mode (UK server) and started the largest 200MB block test. With the Task Manager network graph open, I started adjusting my antennas until I was achieved the highest throughput reading. If TestMy was about to complete, I would stop & restart the 200MB test to keep the connection maxed out.

This may need to be done early in the day or after midnight to avoid network congestion interfering. With just the router on its own, you can try turning it and moving it side to side to find the sweet spot.

Going by the 'odd.jpg', it looks like the chunk of test data came in at once. For example, if something caused the browser to stall (e.g. HDD waking up) or a virus checker took time to analyse the block before passing it to the browser (I've seen AVG do before a few times), the script would show it as a spike reaching all the data at once.

Thanks for info
    After re positioning device got back to my normal speeds:D

With just the router on its own, you can try turning it and moving it side to side to find the sweet spot.

BTW what antenna you use if any.

I have a panel 800MHz antenna on the gable. While it's MIMO with two antenna connections, I only recently found out about how sensitive the antenna positioning is for the maximum throughput even though the signal figures barely change across roughly a wide swing left/right and even up/down.

Rather than borrow a high enough ladder to get back up there, I tried the antenna inputs individually to see which gave the maximum throughput (in this case vertical polarity) and attached a LOG antenna to the other antenna input and walked about the loft holding it horizontally with the connection maxed out until I got the highest sustained throughput readings in Task Manager's network graph. It was an area with storage boxes, so I just stacked a few boxes and laid the antenna on top, again aiming it left/right, tilting up/down until the throughput peaked and that's how it sits at the moment. Someday I'll get to mounting it in place.

I'm not sure if you'll get much better than that as Three is only using 10MHz of bandwidth on the 800MHz band. On the 1800MHz band where they use 20MHz, you can expect to hit 100Mbps and of course with both bands in aggregation (4G+), up to 150Mbps. The advertised speeds (e.g. 150Mbps max for 4G, 225Mbps for 4G+, etc.) are the raw speeds, just like how a 300Mbps Wi-Fi connection will not deliver 300Mbps actual throughput standing right next to the Wi-Fi access point, i.e. some capacity is lost due to network overhead.

The following is from my end - RSSI (-77dBm), RSRP (-100dBm), RSRQ (-7dB):
    5350418401.png

So it shows that even with a weaker signal, pretty good throughput can be achieved. Just note that Speedtest ignores dips accounting for less than 30% of its test duration, so if the bandwidth is fluctuating from interference or network congestion, it will likely give elevated results. However, this shouldn't be an issue when you're trying to find out the maximum throughput the connection can take between the router and the ISP.

To give an idea of what I mean, when I was with iD Mobile, it was capped about 20Mbps. However, rather than deliver a solid 20Mbps throughput, it pulsed the connection such that the average throughput came in about 20Mbps (2.5MB/s in downloads), so the Wi-Fi graph looked like the following:

8QzBn2d.png

Guess what Speedtest.net reported? ;) As the dips in this case were accounting for less than 30% of its test, it often claimed I was getting 31Mbps:

5208451687.png

I have a panel 800MHz antenna on the gable. While it's MIMO with two antenna connections, I only recently found out about how sensitive the antenna positioning is for the maximum throughput even though the signal figures barely change across roughly a wide swing left/right and even up/down.
    Where did you got it , price, link?
    I'm not sure if you'll get much better than that as Three is only using 10MHz of bandwidth on the 800MHz band. On the 1800MHz band where they use 20MHz, you can expect to hit 100Mbps and of course with both bands in aggregation (4G+), up to 150Mbps.
    So how to get this, is there need for extra/different equipment?

What you think about :
    http://www.dipol.ie/cellular-systems/gsm-3g-lte-antennas/lte/lte-mimo-antenna-atk-log-lte-800-2170mhz-5m-cable-sma-plug.html
    or :
    http://www.dipolnet.com/lte_mimo_antenna_atk-log_lte_800-2170mhz_5m_cable_sma_plug__A7056_5.htm
    Found links here on boards, but to me look like same model with different description (and price):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They look the same and like they're up to the job. I saw them very ones after I got this antenna.. and if I had to do it again, I'd try the ones you linked.

And the placement of the antenna is the difference in 10Mbps or 30Mbps... It's pretty crucial to get it right for the optimum service.

This is the panel antenna I got, which is for 800MHz only. If I was starting from scratch now, I would get two wideband LOG antennas instead. I'm fairly sure 4G+ will not be coming to my area for years to come being in such a rural area. I was even surprised for Three to even bring 4G here considering just a year ago, I could not pick up the faintest 3G signal from any provider, let alone 4G. Vodafone and Meteor don't have 4G here yet.

This is is similar to the LOG antenna I got. I bought just one originally for 3G connectivity and that's what I'm currently using for the horizontal polarity. Although the picture in the eBay description shows both aimed vertically, they actually need to be aimed one vertically and the second horizontally.

For 4G+ (when/where available), you'll definitely need a wideband antenna as it will need to pick up the 800MHz and 1800MHz bands together to achieve the combined throughput.

One issue issue I found with that Dipol antenna is that the vertical / horizontal antennas are together, as I remember reading that the horizontal and vertical antennas should be spaced at least a small distance apart. I know someone with this antenna that had trouble just trying to match the throughput their router could pick up with its internal antennas. On the other hand, it would be worth it if let's say the router was on the ground floor and the antenna could be mounted high up on the gable or chimney with clear view of the mast.

• Advertisement

Thanks for info.
    In my case, I believe, I would need directional as my nearest 4G capable mast is about 6km away
    I feel lucky to have speed as i have now( tuck me long time to find the right spot ), but having antenna could improve signal stability, even wind and rain does effect.
    At the moment have router located on balcony on TV mount bracket for fine adjustment:D if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    Is anyone using this router with a 4K TV? I bought the LG 49UF640V a few weeks ago and have it connected via Ethernet cable to the router. I have been trying to stream 4K YouTube videos using the built-in YouTube app with mixed results. One or two videos will stream in 4K but the vast majority will only stream in HD.

I am tempted to sign up to Netflix for the free month and give their 4K streaming a go....possibly Daredevil ;-)

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm not sure if you'll get much better than that as Three is only using 10MHz of bandwidth on the 800MHz band. On the 1800MHz band where they use 20MHz, you can expect to hit 100Mbps and of course with both bands in aggregation (4G+), up to 150Mbps.

Can CAT4 devices agg? I was under the impression that was only for LTEA with CAT5/6 and above.

That was in a reply to smuggler.ie's post who mentioned he got a E5186s-22 which is Cat 6 capable.
    madmoe wrote: »
    I have been trying to stream 4K YouTube videos using the built-in YouTube app with mixed results. One or two videos will stream in 4K but the vast majority will only stream in HD.

I am tempted to sign up to Netflix for the free month and give their 4K streaming a go....possibly Daredevil ;-)

Assuming Netflix operates like its speed test website, there's a good chance it will stream 4K if its speed test website consistently shows over 25Mbps as the test website runs its speed test multi-threaded. For comparison, YouTube streams over a single connection to its server, similar to how the testmy.net runs its default speed test. I.e. if TestMy doesn't deliver 20Mbps+ consistently, then YouTube will unlikely be able to stream in 4K, which streams its H264 2160p video at roughly 20Mbps.

Just note that 4K is a very heavy bandwidth hog. Assuming Netflix streams Ultra HD with an approx. 25Mbps bitrate like it mentions here, that will consume around 10GB per hour of streaming or roughly 15GB for a typical 1.5 hour film. :eek:

That was in a reply to smuggler.ie's post who mentioned he got a E5186s-22 which is Cat 6 capable.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Have been looking at same but its a bit much for what would basically be a toy (for now).

ED E wrote: »
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Have been looking at same but its a bit much for what would basically be a toy (for now).
    What price you were looking at?

Upwards of €150, most likely €200 after tax.

Assuming Netflix operates like its speed test website, there's a good chance it will stream 4K if its speed test website consistently shows over 25Mbps as the test website runs its speed test multi-threaded. For comparison, YouTube streams over a single connection to its server, similar to how the testmy.net runs its default speed test. I.e. if TestMy doesn't deliver 20Mbps+ consistently, then YouTube will unlikely be able to stream in 4K, which streams its H264 2160p video at roughly 20Mbps.

Just note that 4K is a very heavy bandwidth hog. Assuming Netflix streams Ultra HD with an approx. 25Mbps bitrate like it mentions here, that will consume around 10GB per hour of streaming or roughly 15GB for a typical 1.5 hour film. :eek:

Thanks for that. Are you sure YouTube uses H264 2160p? I thought they had their own VP9 codec for that? When I look at the video info whilst streaming a 4K video it says VP9 on screen?

Thanks,
    M

YouTube encodes in both, but chooses the playback codec depending on the browser and hardware. On a PC, YouTube uses the VP9 codec in Chrome and the H264 codec in most other browsers including Internet Explorer, Edge and Firefox.

Going by this page, YouTube seems to use 10-13Mbps for 4K VP9, so it has a better chance of playing using about half the bandwidth. I'm not sure if your TV supports VP9 natively as I couldn't find detailed specifications, although from a quick search, many of the major TV makers provide VP9 decoding capability in their 2015+ models.

• Advertisement

YouTube encodes in both, but chooses the playback codec depending on the browser and hardware. On a PC, YouTube uses the VP9 codec in Chrome and the H264 codec in most other browsers including Internet Explorer, Edge and Firefox.

Going by this page, YouTube seems to use 10-13Mbps for 4K VP9, so it has a better chance of playing using about half the bandwidth. I'm not sure if your TV supports VP9 natively as I couldn't find detailed specifications, although from a quick search, many of the major TV makers provide VP9 decoding capability in their 2015+ models.

Hello mate,
    I had a fair bit of a look and for my TV it does not seem to support VP9 and yet using the YouTube app it plays 4K videos and I can clearly see VP9 as the codec when I display the video information in the YouTube app??

See towards the bottom of this page.....it says VP9 is not supported on my TV??

But on this site it says VP9 is supported??

Advertisement