Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mustang 2015

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

5.0 badge could sell well.

You'd want the GT badge for the back as well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cletus wrote: »
    You'd want the GT badge for the back as well

The anoraks would soon work out the ruse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The 9/10 Ecoboost ratio is the exact opposite in the North. A friend spoke to a Ford dealer in Fermanagh who said 90% were V8s. Take that stat with a pinch of salt obviously but gives an idea of the impact VRT and motor tax has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

About 10 V8s sold. 100 sold in total although quite a few won't be delivered until July.
    Anything beyond that 100 will be 2017 cars.

They've sold a hundred in the Republic already?
    And with no demo cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Black Mustang in the showroom of Lyons of Limerick on Friday. Not sure which engine but it was marked sold anyhow.

Looked mean.

Posted a pic of it on HWIST thread, Its an ecoboost. Looks class.

[IMG][/img]95D3BAE6-832A-4149-95D7-62117D29A8E9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The GT just makes little to no sense in Ireland. The main plus for the GT is the soundtrack and extra grunt. And even the extra grunt isn't that much of a leap. 415bhp against the Ecoboost's 312bhp. Admittedly it will sound 10 times better than the 4 pot.

However it costs €16,000 more. That's a massive amount for a soundtrack and some extra power.

Not to mention the annual road tax bill of €2,350 before you start putting fuel in it, of which it will drink more than the Ecoboost.

It's been said before but Ireland is not the place for 5L V8s unfortunately. Even for people that can afford paying that for a car, a part of them has to say no at some point to being bent over by the government.

Unfortunately you're right, Ireland is no place for a naturally aspirated V8.

In the UK over 70% of models sold are the V8, a percentage that will surely increase from next year when the V8 will be only £140 (€190) a year to tax, the same as the Ecoboost!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

The GT just makes little to no sense in Ireland. The main plus for the GT is the soundtrack and extra grunt. And even the extra grunt isn't that much of a leap. 415bhp against the Ecoboost's 312bhp. Admittedly it will sound 10 times better than the 4 pot.However it costs €16,000 more. That's a massive amount for a soundtrack and some extra power.Not to mention the annual road tax bill of €2,350 before you start putting fuel in it, of which it will drink more than the Ecoboost. It's been said before but Ireland is not the place for 5L V8s unfortunately. Even for people that can afford paying that for a car, a part of them has to say no at some point to being bent over by the government.

With the way insurance has gone I'd imagine it'd be nigh on impossible to insure aswell. Even the Ecoboost would probably be loaded to heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

carsfan wrote: »
    They've sold a hundred in the Republic already?
    And with no demo cars!

Sold wont equate with registered id say. The 100 will be spread out over the year. I would guess there are some deposits placed on the proviso of a test drive which ford dealers will count as 'sales'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So just found out the mustang has a burnout mode!

This with the new focus drift mode is a step in the right direction for cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

Not to mention the annual road tax bill of €2,350 before you start putting fuel in it, of which it will drink more than the Ecoboost.

Some of the longer tests we've seen show that there isn't a big as difference in fuel consumption between the two as a lot of people might expect.
    100 sold in total although quite a few won't be delivered until July.
    Anything beyond that 100 will be 2017 cars.

The aim to to hope to see around 100, that's what the production allocation for the this year will be. Though I know that one of the dealers has 20 orders in, so it's relatively positive news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

So just found out the mustang has a burnout mode!

This with the new focus drift mode is a step in the right direction for cars!

Just the 5.0 V8 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,198 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bob's first drive and review of the yellow V8 here:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Lyons Of Limerick - facebook

4 hrs ·
    Good evening Everyone!
    We had another lucky customer today who collected his 2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost.
    This Iconic Motor Vehicle comes with 19" Gloss Black Alloys, Black Leather Seats, Reverse Camera and finished in a Beautiful Shadow Black Metallic....
    See More
    Lyons Of Limerick's photo.

clerk wrote: »
    Lyons Of Limerick - facebook

4 hrs ·
    Good evening Everyone!
    We had another lucky customer today who collected his 2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost.
    This Iconic Motor Vehicle comes with 19" Gloss Black Alloys, Black Leather Seats, Reverse Camera and finished in a Beautiful Shadow Black Metallic....
    See More
    Lyons Of Limerick's photo.

Aghhh, so far we have a "DL" reg and now a "C" reg.

I want my future "used" Mustang on a "D" plate God Dammit! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I would guess the fuel consumption between the two engines wouldnt be too far off each other. That heavily boosted 4 pot wont be great on juice. Its a shame in this country you just cant have nice things. In the UK or anywhere sensible the V8 could be your weekend car, doesnt matter if its bad on juice its just something you use the odd time. Not so in Ireland
    the new 7 series is going to be E170 to tax with a E7500 SEAI and VRT rebate. but yes the likes of this V8 mustang here with the E2350 rate is a joke... Even if it was the one band down, i.e. 1200, you could take it...

Sitting in the airport waiting to board a flight back home having just returned a Mustang 2.3 EcoBoost rental following a round trip from New York to Philadelphia. (Covered around 200 miles in total) and I wanted to share my thoughts from an Irish motorist perspective.

Firstly, I'm glad the rental was an EcoBoost as opposed to a 3.7L V6 which I was expecting seeing as it's actually the entry level model here in the US (which we dont get in the EU market).

Having previously driven a 5.0L GT V8 version for 800 miles (and a Camaro SS 6.2L V8) I was genuinely excited/curious to try out the 2.3 Turbo and see how this model (ie. the "Ireland friendly" model) compares to the previous full fat GT model I drove.

Despite however much the journos pretend to orgasm at the V8 sound you just have to accept that with the €15k price difference, the €2,350 annual Motor Tax rate (€750 for EcoBoost) and the likelyhood of being laughed off the phone by Irish insurers just makes the EcoBoost an altogether more realistic proposition on our little green isle.

First impression of the car "in the metal" is that it looks stunning. It's a real eye catcher and I can't imagine anything in Ireland coming close to this, definitely has more presence and more of a "wow" factor than other clinical German coupes. When you unlock the car the wing mirrors project a Mustang logo onto the ground, which although cheesy, still managed to make me smile, it's a cool little touch that definitely adds character.

The inside is a very nice place to be, saddle brown leather, fighter jet toggle switches, push button start, fully customizable ambient lighting and dashboard colours again gives this car character, something that's definitely missing from the German coupes. Plastics wouldn't be German/Audi standard but definitely nothing to complain about either.

The EcoBoost doesn't exactly roar into life and it's definitely missing the V8 burble but overall it sounds really good. The sound is artificial in that it comes through a sound symposer but it's subtle and didn't sound artifical or like it was trying to mimic the sound of a V8 or anything. I wouldn't have realised it was artificial had I not previously read about it online.

With 313BHP the EcoBoost certainly felt fast, although not as fast as the 420BHP V8 it still had plenty of power (definitely enough for Irish roads anyway!). Something that always seems to get overlooked in the EcoBoost vs V8 debate is that the 2.3T feels a lot lighter and nimbler than the V8. When you also consider that there's only ~100BHP between the EcoBoost and the GT, it really makes you question whether all of the extra costs associated with buying and owning the GT (in Ireland) would be worth it.

Another thing to mention is that this had an Auto gearbox and although I'd have preferred a manual, I really did warm to the auto fairly quickly. It's nothing fancy like a DSG, just a regular torque converter auto but I was surprised to find that it suited the car/engine.. well more than I thought it would anyway.

Overall i was very impressed with the EcoBoost and don't get me wrong, the V8 is a whole other beast and the one I would want with my heart, but would it be worth all of the additional extortion back in Ireland? I'm not so sure.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

New Mustang scores just 2 stars in Euro NCAP :eek:

Really no excuse for performing so badly in this test these days. US standards must be much less stringent.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mustang/98399/ford-mustang-only-gets-two-stars-in-euro-ncap-crash-safety-tests

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

RedorDead wrote: »

Really no excuse for performing so badly in this test these days. US standards must be much less stringent.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/mustang/98399/ford-mustang-only-gets-two-stars-in-euro-ncap-crash-safety-tests

And I thought the whole point of the new mustang was to conform more to European standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I read that ford didn't bother putting on the European model some of the safety systems that are on the US model as they thought it would sell in too small a volume for ncap to bother testing it.

A poor show from the company really and doesn't say much for a commitment to safety. Profit more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I read that ford didn't bother putting on the European model some of the safety systems that are on the US model as they thought it would sell in too small a volume for ncap to bother testing it.

A poor show from the company really and doesn't say much for a commitment to safety. Profit more important.
    Can you recall what safety features they omitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Can you recall what safety features they omitted?

Dont think it has Active City Stop, lane assistance or the like....driver aids mainly, which I'm not sure they should count highly as when you are driving, you should be driving!

That and a bad head score for the child rear passenger in a booster seat drags it down, high back booster does ok. Otherwise it scores ok for front passengers and I reckon people wont buy this for a family car.

NCAP can be misleading unless you read the reports and just look at the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

And I thought the whole point of the new mustang was to conform more to European standards.

Why... have they put a filthy noxious diesel in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RedorDead wrote: »

ignoring all the safety assist features that have been removed and the poor rating for children i thought this was more of a worry
    What’s more, both the driver and front passenger airbags failed to inflate sufficiently in Euro NCAP's frontal offset crash test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OSI wrote: »
    Testing rear passenger safety is pointless. I couldn't physically fit in the back of it, and I'm not exactly large.

While most owners wouldn't have anyone in the back on a daily basis, I'm sure there will be some who fill it to capacity, especially when showing off the car and you can be sure that at least some owners will stick the kids in the back for trips... so the safety rating is important. That and the failure of front air bags to inflate properly makes this Ford, one to be avoided... Not that I was in the market for one in the first place, I prefer estate cars.

Advertisement