Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mustang 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

jimgoose wrote: »
    Aston Martin V12, to match the grille, obviously! :D

Yeah there's a bit of fish mouth going on there alright!!

Still, very impressed with the st. And I've never owned a ford even though wifey has been trying to get me to drive one since I met her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Jesus. wrote: »
    Captain Speed why are they reducing tax on non-electrics in the UK?

The official reason is that the revenue from the existing system was starting to dry up and they want to keep getting the same amount of money a year from VED. The lowest CO2 emitting vehicles either paid no VED or as little as £30 a year, and of course CO2 emissions (on paper at least) are getting lower all the time. They're not expecting to get any more money from the changes (as the price is meant to reflect the average amount at present) but it is designed to make sure that the revenue from VED is sustainable. Also worth noting is that the 3% surcharge for diesel company car tax is remaining, that was meant to be abolished this year if you had a Euro 6 compliant car but they changed their mind after the VW emissions scandal.

Whatever the official reason, it's great news for all petrolheads, because you can now have your V8 Mustang (or any fast car you fancy) and pay no more than someone with a 1 litre s***box to tax it every year! There is still an incentive to buy a lower CO2 vehicle because the first year's VED is still based on emissions and the V8 Mustang will cost £2,000 a year in VED initially (the most fuel efficient will pay nothing). After year 1 it will then switch to the flat rate of £140. Cars that have a list price of more than £40,000 new will pay an additional surcharge after year 1 of about £300, however once the car is seven years old they too will switch to the flat rate of £140. So, believe it or not some cars will actually become cheaper to tax as they get older! You wouldn't see that happening in Ireland that's for sure, sure don't you know that "old" cars are wrecks and liable to cause a crash any minute!

Unfortunately they have copied our idea of a two-tier tax system, because this new (and much better for the petrolhead) system will only apply to cars registered from I think it is April next year (it is at some point early enough in the New Year for sure). Any car on the existing system will continue to pay the current rate, which in the case of the V8 Mustang is £490. At current exchange rates that's about €640, which is still a bargain compared to what you'd pay in Ireland (and also cheaper than the Ecoboost in Ireland), but it's quite pricey compared to the €180ish you'd pay if you bought a new one from next year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Captain Speed, that is a very well written post. In fact its too good for me because I can't understand hardly any of it!

Don't know how taxing cars less is going to bring them in the same amount of tax. Your post explains it but I'm afraid I haven't a clue what it means.

I appreciate the effort though pal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Jesus. wrote: »
    Captain Speed, that is a very well written post. In fact its too good for me because I can't understand hardly any of it!

Don't know how taxing cars less is going to bring them in the same amount of tax. Your post explains it but I'm afraid I haven't a clue what it means.

I appreciate the effort though pal

Let's try again:D. A lot of cars which don't emit as much CO2 (on paper) as a Mustang (even the Ecoboost) currently pay less than £140 a year (anything below 140 g/km), some as little as £20, anything below 99 g/km is free. As more and more cars are getting lower (on paper) CO2 emissions the amount of VED they're getting is falling, so from next year onwards only electric cars will get free VED. Basically they want to protect the revenue they're getting from VED so they're charging everyone the same from next year onwards (with a few exceptions, like ZE cars and cars that are more than £40k new - also the first year's VED will still be emissions based).

They'll have to do something similar here eventually, because a lot of new cars are in band A or better, so motor tax is €200 or less, in the olden days the average car had a 1.4 or 1.6 litre engine if you have one of those on the old system you are paying €385 or €514. This clearly isn't sustainable so I wouldn't be surprised if something was done about it in time to come. Personally I'd favour the British approach, it would make fast cars much more desirable and ensure the polluter pays as then you'd be paying directly for how much CO2 you're creating (via fuel duty).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Thanks Captain Speed that is clearer (although I will admit the constant use of 'VED' is a distraction! I looked it up and I believe its simply Motor tax.)

Whatever they do over here you can be quite certain they'll fukk it up somehow. Lets hope not :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'd say the Irish solution will be to attack those on the lower band, raising their rates. Rather than lowering the charge for those on the higher band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I'd say the Irish solution will be to attack those on the lower band, raising their rates. Rather than lowering the charge for those on the higher band.

Don't you just know it

We're a small little island, why can't we ever have nice things. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Vintage vrs
    Did you ever get a price for this or a test drive ?
    Was looking at ford website and surprised things like navigation not standard.
    I have a feeling after an initial flurry of sales they may struggle. I'm probably wrong however. Would love if I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Just one sold for the month of january on beepbeep.ie ..

I saw on complete car.ie a lad in Donegal getting the first one. It looked like the black one vintage vrs took a picture of. I think the guy in Donegal ordered when they were first announced . Presume his is the only registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

noelf wrote: »
    Just one sold for the month of january on beepbeep.ie ..

6 sold for the month in total. 1 classified correctly in SIMI figures and 5 classified incorrectly as Ford 'Probes'. 4 x EcoBoost Coupes and 1 x EcoBoost Convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

carsfan wrote: »
    Vintage vrs
    Did you ever get a price for this or a test drive ?
    Was looking at ford website and surprised things like navigation not standard.
    I have a feeling after an initial flurry of sales they may struggle. I'm probably wrong however. Would love if I was.

Yes I did........

They wanted 17k with my own car. Meaning they reckon my car lost 13k in 5 months. I knew it would be bad, but to be honest it sounded like he wasn't even trying to sell it to me. No discount on RRP was mentioned.

I saw on complete car.ie a lad in Donegal getting the first one. It looked like the black one vintage vrs took a picture of. I think the guy in Donegal ordered when they were first announced . Presume his is the only registered.

They guy in Donegal ordered before Ford Ireland even knew anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did someone not mention a figure of 23 or something?

Saw a burgundy one yesterday on Portobello. Did it for me anyhow! :)

13 k in 5 months is a piss take.
    Think maybe life is getting too easy again for the dealers with booming sales.
    Not having to try too hard now compared to be last few years.
    Did you drive one?
    If so your impressions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Did someone not mention a figure of 23 or something?

Saw a burgundy one yesterday on Portobello. Did it for me anyhow! :)

Eddie Cunningham from the independent mentions 100 orders on twitter earlier. Irish press launch takes place at palmerstown house today.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Completecar.ie have a review on the convertible mustang

13 k in 5 months is a piss take.
    Think maybe life is getting too easy again for the dealers with booming sales.
    Not having to try too hard now compared to be last few years.
    Did you drive one?
    If so your impressions?

If I was changing I wouldn't trade in the Golf anyway as there are smarter ways to change cars. I didn't like the fact the price he gave me for the Mustang was the RRP, sure I can see that on the website. Just seemed like zero interest in engaging with me. I am exploring options on changing the car and this may happen in March. What I change into is wide open at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

Nothing to add other than the yellow GT was in Naas today. Presume this is the press car mentioned earlier

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Black Mustang in the showroom of Lyons of Limerick on Friday. Not sure which engine but it was marked sold anyhow.

Looked mean.

Vintage
    9 months in the R only and changing,sounds like me in the gti !
    I'm always looking around at another car.
    Won't be a mustang for me though, although I'm sure they are great.

• Advertisement

I'v had it 5 months but yeah, great car, couldn't fault it really but fancy something else. Doubt it'll be a Mustang either. Sure it costs nothing to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Black Mustang in the showroom of Lyons of Limerick on Friday. Not sure which engine but it was marked sold anyhow.

Looked mean.

Id really like to think somebody here dipped for the V8 , but id be amazed if they weren't all ecoboost on our plates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Id really like to think somebody here dipped for the V8 , but id be amazed if they weren't all ecoboost on our plates.

It's absolutely of no importance for me. It's a powerful new rwd Mustang either way.

Each to their own.

The GT just makes little to no sense in Ireland. The main plus for the GT is the soundtrack and extra grunt. And even the extra grunt isn't that much of a leap. 415bhp against the Ecoboost's 312bhp. Admittedly it will sound 10 times better than the 4 pot.

However it costs €16,000 more. That's a massive amount for a soundtrack and some extra power.

Not to mention the annual road tax bill of €2,350 before you start putting fuel in it, of which it will drink more than the Ecoboost.

It's been said before but Ireland is not the place for 5L V8s unfortunately. Even for people that can afford paying that for a car, a part of them has to say no at some point to being bent over by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Nah. The wealthy in this country just buy the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

cletus wrote: »
    Nothing to add other than the yellow GT was in Naas today. Presume this is the press car mentioned earlier

Yellow fastback is the 5.0 V8 used for the press launch today and tomorrow.
    There's a red Ecoboost cabrio too.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

About 10 V8s sold. 100 sold in total although quite a few won't be delivered until July.
    Anything beyond that 100 will be 2017 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres at least 2 V8s in the country anyway, the press car and there was a wine/red one on the CAB wensite with the 5.0 badge down the side.

Could well be more but the ecoboost shoudl massively outsell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres at least 2 V8s in the country anyway, the press car and there was a wine/red one on the CAB website with the 5.0 badge down the side.

Could well be more but the ecoboost shoudl massively outsell it.

• Advertisement

5.0 badge could sell well.

Advertisement