Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch - Details, News & Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i'm sure they could attach the straps but they wouldn't be able to use the same design and that design seems to be getting quite a bit of praise at the moment
    kc145j.png

I meant that it would get accused of being a rip off coming out with that design so soon after the 360 (prob the first good round smartwatch design

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Hugely overpriced & that's just the basic model!

Of all the criticism it's received, I have to disagree with this the most. $350 for that technology is not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Eoin wrote: »
    Of all the criticism it's received, I have to disagree with this the most. $350 for that technology is not bad at all.

Was just going to say the exact same thing - when you look at the amount of tack and absolute rubbish that's for sale at that price point and more in the "fashion watch" space, it's in no way overpriced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'd say they'd find a way to implement the watch strap design, I agree it is one of the most praised parts of the whole watch. I don't think you can call it a Moto 360 rip-off. It's a round watch, there's not many ways you can change that watch face, other than the bezel. I think the 360 looks great and I think the rounder look would suit me more. Apple nailed the UI and OS though, it seems to do a lot more than just display notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Anyone else find it impressive that up until the video on the reveal we had no idea what it would look like? I think that was the first time I remember that Apple had released a product where no one knew what it would look like.

I imagine they announced now to get ahead of all the leaks and to build up anticipation for it, which is only going to increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The people saying $350 is expensive for a watch, have clearly never bought a decent watch. My Seiko cost ~€600, and all that does is tell the time.

For $350 you get a customisable watch that integrates with your phone (handoff) and has BT4 and Wifi, is a HRM/fitness device with GPS, capable of contactless payments, dictation/siri, control other apple devices, has its own communication system (Digital touch) and a sapphire glass cover.

IMO it's absolutely beautiful to look at. With the sports straps it looks a bit gammy, but in space black stainless steel with space black link bracelet -

MetalBands-640x359.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The people saying $350 is expensive for a watch, have clearly never bought a decent watch. My Seiko cost ~€600, and all that does is tell the time.

For $350 you get a customisable watch that integrates with your phone (handoff) and has BT4 and Wifi, is a HRM/fitness device with GPS, capable of contactless payments, dictation/siri, control other apple devices, has its own communication system (Digital touch) and a sapphire glass cover.

IMO it's absolutely beautiful to look at. With the sports straps it looks a bit gammy, but in space black stainless steel with space black link bracelet -

MetalBands-640x359.jpg

It doesnt have GPS, it's not really a fitness device when you need to lug your massive iPhone 6 plus around with you on your run also for it to function properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

copacetic wrote: »
    It doesnt have GPS, it's not really a fitness device when you need to lug your massive iPhone 6 plus around with you on your run also for it to function properly.

Not standalone GPS, no - but linked.

And most people "lug around" their phone as a music player when running anyway. Those arm band strap cases and running earphones aren't being manufactured for the craic.

Any more non-issues?

And another thing...I can't wait to see how this product develops. It's the watch version of the very first iPad, and we know how that developed into the iPad Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

And most people "lug around" their phone as a music player when running anyway. Those arm band strap cases and running earphones aren't being manufactured for the craic.

Any more non-issues?
    Zcott wrote: »
    And another thing...I can't wait to see how this product develops. It's the watch version of the very first iPad, and we know how that developed into the iPad Air.

It's like when the iPad mini released without a retina screen we all knew it would get it as an update. I'd say GPS will be added. Google announced Android OS will support GPS and offline music playback before the end of the year with current watches getting the update. That will reduce the need to "lug around" a phone when running as mentioned above. While the offline playback will probably come via an app to Apples watch it will be this time next year probably before GPS is added.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Any more non-issues?

Heh, most people? Very few people who run even slightly seriously carry a phone on their runs, in fact most have a watch smaller than the apple one with built in gps.

You said the watch had GPS, it doesn't. You were wrong, no need to get snarky that it's a non issue. 'Linked gps' means literally it doesn't have it. It' s a key missing feature for fitness and shows they are trying to use the watch to sell the phones rather than as a useful multifunction device.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

copacetic wrote: »
    Heh, most people? Very few people who run even slightly seriously carry a phone on their runs, in fact most have a watch smaller than the apple one with built in gps.

You said the watch had GPS, it doesn't. You were wrong, no need to get snarky that it's a non issue. 'Linked gps' means literally it doesn't have it. It' s a key missing feature for fitness and shows they are trying to use the watch to sell the phones rather than as a useful multifunction device.

Agreed. The phone is way too bulky to be carrying if you are running seriously at all. Those armband straps are a pain in the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think its a big mistake that they won't be releasing this watch in time for christmas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I like it..I just splashed out nearly 300 euro for a g-shock recently that I just use to tell me the time..I bought it for outdoors e.g. airsofting etc so I wanted something that would take abuse...
    It's one of those pilot ones that can take 15g but I doubt my car does that :D so most of the features are really pointless to me but I just liked the watch.
    The apple watch on the other hand has a lot of features I would use so it would be of more benefit to me.
    My g-shock is radio controller and solar powered so I need to put in a window sill each night for the radio sync (time ) and to keep it powered so having to charge up an apple watch is no big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Three words: Maps while cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Been reading loads of reviews about the Apple Watch, and there is one thing I cannot get over.

That UI is just hideous. Apple have always done simplicity so well, its their calling card for design, but this is a cluster of small fidgety icons all over the place. The digital crown just makes it complicated, and frankly the idea of looking at a photo collection on the screen is just bafflingly bizarre when you have your actual phone just inches away.

I'm genuinely shocked to say that Android Wear and even Pebble look considerably easier to just use without it getting awkward.

The price point is over a minor concern, I don't like seeing it say "starting from $350", it makes me question just how expensive they'll get.
    Battery lifecjs of course a concern after the mass outcry from Moto 360 buyers, as many reviewers were let down by it.

Actually it is, because we don't know the actual technology behind it yet, people at the announcement were only shown demo version, and the people with working models were highly reluctant to show theirs working. Even when it was announced he stood on stafecand held it in his hands, instead of on his wrist.

$350 is a lot to ask for such an early generation wearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Question about the Watch: does it have any internal memory to store songs from iTunes or Spotify so you can listen to music while having a workout, completely independent of your phone? With Bluetooth or wi-if wireless headphone compatibility. I've been hoping for something like this for years, thought they'd do it with the iPod shuffle but it never happened. If I'm to invest in a smart watch, I want this feature, but if it doesn't, and along with it being non-waterproof, I'll have to say that I'm out. (I'm a dragon :pac:)

Question about the Watch: does it have any internal memory to store songs from iTunes or Spotify so you can listen to music while having a workout, completely independent of your phone? With Bluetooth or wi-if wireless headphone compatibility. I've been hoping for something like this for years, thought they'd do it with the iPod shuffle but it never happened. If I'm to invest in a smart watch, I want this feature, but if it doesn't, and along with it being non-waterproof, I'll have to say that I'm out. (I'm a dragon :pac:)

Perhaps not storage but maybe streaming. Tim Cook said this:

It requires an iPhone, because they’ve been designed to work together. However, if you go for a run, and you don’t want to carry your iPhone, music is also on your watch. So with a Bluetooth headset, you can run and listen to your music without your iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't wear a watch but would consider this just for the usefulness factor. It's not really the watch I'm looking for right now though. Nighttime charging is a drawback. I'd like to get the benefits of sleep monitoring you get in dedicated fitness trackers. I'd like something waterproof so I could take it to the pool or not end up despondent the day I jump into the pool wearing it by accident and see $400 go up in smoke. It also looks a little thick right now. I'll start to get really interested I think once I see what the version 2 brings to the table. It's a good concept but I just don't think it's compelling enough right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Has it been mentioned here?

Apparently you can listen to music on it without your iPhone, via bluetooth headphones.

The watch detects skin contact and remains unlocked. Once you remove it, or if for some unfortunate reason someone snatches it of your wrist. It will lock itself.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Has it been mentioned here?

Apparently you can listen to music on it without your iPhone, via bluetooth headphones.

The watch detects skin contact and remains unlocked. Once you remove it, or if for some unfortunate reason someone snatches it of your wrist. It will lock itself.

About 2 posts up!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

About 2 posts up!

oops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Dont you have to charge them every other night?

man that would get tedious.

Dont you have to charge them every other night?

man that would get tedious.

Yeah, poor battery life and no GPS are deal breakers for me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

For me, the watch will be essential.. because I'll have an iPhone 6 Plus in my pocket that will be impossible to take out when sitting down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Zcott wrote: »
    Perhaps not storage but maybe streaming. Tim Cook said this:

It requires an iPhone, because they’ve been designed to work together. However, if you go for a run, and you don’t want to carry your iPhone, music is also on your watch. So with a Bluetooth headset, you can run and listen to your music without your iPhone.

How will it stream if the phone is not nearby for an Internet connection? Does the watch have an independent Internet connection?

How will it stream if the phone is not nearby for an Internet connection? Does the watch have an independent Internet connection?

I'm curious about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm curious about too.

Nope, it relies on your phones wifi and mobile data for a connection. I'd imagine notifications will stop arriving until you come back into range with the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

It won't, it can play music independent of the phone, but the only way it could do that is if the music is on the physical memory on the watch, so i'd imagine you'd have to pick a play list or something and tell your phone to send it to the watches memory.... or something

Advertisement