Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch - Details, News & Reviews

Options
  • 10-09-2014 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

So Apple announced their long rumoured watch earlier today, named the 'Apple Watch'. The live stream didn't go too well for most so I've caught up on most of the details the last while. Most of the details I've gotten so far from today breaks the Watch into three versions: the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition. Two sizes also exist, a 38mm and 42mm height. The screens have a layer of scratch resistant saphire. There's also various straps and colours for the watch. A few general things for each:

1. Apple Watch - Watch face comes in space black & space black stainless steel. Watch face has a more polished & shiny look. Apple lists 18 models in this collection on their site.

2. Apple Watch Sport - Watch face in silver aluminium and Space grey aluminium. Metal used has a matte look and feel with a more rugged and sturdy build. 10 different models listed on the site.

3. Apple Watch Edition - Watch face in 18-k yellow gold and rose gold. High-end models with strengthened gold material. Seems to be two models in this collection.

Watch straps come in 6 variations: Link bracelet, sport band, leather loop, classic buckle, modern buckle & Milanese loop. Some of these seem to come in various colours and some use magnets to attach. Looks like they're all interchangeable though no matter what the device. No word on whether these will be sold individually but I'd imagine they will be.

The OS is navigated using both a touchscreen and a digital crown on the right side, this is also used as a home button. Another button is used as a quick access button to get to your contacts.

It has a really cool MagSafe influenced inductive charger, contains sensors on the back for measuring things like pulse, uses haptic feedback for notifications and the screen can distinguish between soft and more forceful taps.

The software seems feature packed, it allows third party developers to release apps for the Watch, also works well with NFC for payments (US only for now) and although it hasn't been mentioned probably connects over Bluetooth. It uses the iPhones GPS and Wifi for other things. Siri is also built in and the whole watch is water resistant, although not waterproof so no wearing it in the shower.

Overall seems like a decent shot at the wearable market. They start at $349 (probably €349) but you won't get to purchase one until 2015 so plenty of time for more details such as the battery life to be released. I'll be looking forward to picking one up myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Does it require a iPhone to work (for getting messages/maps etc)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

grizzly wrote: »
    Does it require a iPhone to work (for getting messages/maps etc)?

I think thats a most definite yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone know if it's waterproof ? Am finding conflicting reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭southafrica2010

DubDJ wrote: »
    So Apple announced their long rumoured watch earlier today, named the 'Apple Watch'. The live stream didn't go too well for most so I've caught up on most of the details the last while. Most of the details I've gotten so far from today breaks the Watch into three versions: the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch Edition. Two sizes also exist, a 38mm and 42mm height. The screens have a layer of scratch resistant saphire. There's also various straps and colours for the watch. A few general things for each:

1. Apple Watch - Watch face comes in space black & space black stainless steel. Watch face has a more polished & shiny look. Apple lists 18 models in this collection on their site.

2. Apple Watch Sport - Watch face in silver aluminium and Space grey aluminium. Metal used has a matte look and feel with a more rugged and sturdy build. 10 different models listed on the site.

3. Apple Watch Edition - Watch face in 18-k yellow gold and rose gold. High-end models with strengthened gold material. Seems to be two models in this collection.

Watch straps come in 6 variations: Link bracelet, sport band, leather loop, classic buckle, modern buckle & Milanese loop. Some of these seem to come in various colours and some use magnets to attach. Looks like they're all interchangeable though no matter what the device. No word on whether these will be sold individually but I'd imagine they will be.

The OS is navigated using both a touchscreen and a digital crown on the right side, this is also used as a home button. Another button is used as a quick access button to get to your contacts.

It has a really cool MagSafe influenced inductive charger, contains sensors on the back for measuring things like pulse, uses haptic feedback for notifications and the screen can distinguish between soft and more forceful taps.

The software seems feature packed, it allows third party developers to release apps for the Watch, also works well with NFC for payments (US only for now) and although it hasn't been mentioned probably connects over Bluetooth. It uses the iPhones GPS and Wifi for other things. Siri is also built in and the whole watch is water resistant, although not waterproof so no wearing it in the shower.

Overall seems like a decent shot at the wearable market. They start at $349 (probably €349) but you won't get to purchase one until 2015 so plenty of time for more details such as the battery life to be released. I'll be looking forward to picking one up myself.

Why would you be wearing it in the shower?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why would you be wearing it in the shower?!

Showers now need to be timed for pending water charges.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Splash proof but not waterproof. That would be enough to put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

godtabh wrote: »
    Splash proof but not waterproof. That would be enough to put me off

Especially in this country with the amount of rain we get, no matter how careful you are I have found most splash proof devices eventually let you down, just hope there is not some clause on the warranty for water damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Taltos wrote: »
    Especially in this country with the amount of rain we get, no matter how careful you are I have found most splash proof devices eventually let you down, just hope there is not some clause on the warranty for water damage.

That's actually a very import note. It's always the simple things that trip us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I cannot believe anyone older than 15 would wear this thing unless you just want a very expensive lap timer for running or your gym session! It's so naff IMO, it's the equivalent of the 1980's Casio calculator watch :pac:

If you want a watch, get a proper automatic chronograph (Omega, Tag... whatever...) that will be timeless and you'll have forever more amen.

I say this as an Apple fan by the way who will probably get an iPhone 6 at some point...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

For me none of these watches/fitness trackers (any brand) will catch on till they can at least used in swimming pool.

No point in tracking my fitness level on the way to the pool but then not track the 50 lenghts a day I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/#film-design

Have a gander ... you get some hints on UI/how it will work etc.

Have to say - I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Well they've mentioned water resistant so usually that would be ok with things like sweat and I'd expect a little rain also. It would have to be protected against rain, otherwise they'd be water damaged constantly.

I've seen a few people saying the same as above (why not get a normal watch) but the problem is with a normal watch all it really does is tell time and maybe have a date or time dial. They're not smart watches, which is what people are buying into. This is an extension to your iPhone, it will display notifications and also double as a fitness tracker. This is what people are buying for.

I've been looking at getting a new watch, and also had a look at fitness trackers a year back but never got one due to problems with some of the top bands like the jawbone up. For me this would combine the two, and add a lot of extra functionality to that. And you could be paying anywhere from €250 and up for two of those so that's why I'm most likely going to be getting one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I cannot believe anyone older than 15 would wear this thing unless you just want a very expensive lap timer for running or your gym session! It's so naff IMO, it's the equivalent of the 1980's Casio calculator watch :pac:

If you want a watch, get a proper automatic chronograph (Omega, Tag... whatever...) that will be timeless and you'll have forever more amen.
    So, your point is quite valid. But I remember when the iPad were coming out initially with $500+ price tags, people were basically saying that there's no real appeal in them; "Sure I can buy a netbook for that price with a better everything".
    Just now I had to do a google to find the word "netbook" because I had forgotten it.

I mentioned in another thread about this, the appeal that a watch like this gives. It's basically your phone, but in a non-intrusive way. Have I got messages? Look at my watch. What's the weather like? Look at my watch? Where am I? Look at my watch. Check what song is playing/change the song. Touch my watch. What time is it? Look at my watch :D

To a certain extent it's a regressive step because it reduces the amount of information available immediately, but what it does is make the most important information more immediately available. Which ultimately is the aim of all consumer technology.

I agree that €350 is mad money for a non-functional device (most people would be loathe to part with that for the phone itself), but that doesn't mean the device in itself has no appeal.

It will certainly be something less consumable than the phone because the range of functions is never going to be anything which requires you to constantly increase the level of hardware in it. At the end of the day it'll be a dumb terminal firing commands over bluetooth to the phone. So the requirements of the watch won't increase in the same way that they do on the phones.
    So over time the cost will reduce as they rebuild the same tech using better and cheaper parts. I imagine the expected lifespan of an iPhone is 2-3 years, whereas the watch you'd expect to be in use for 6 years+.
    Especially for those who find themselves constantly checking their phone or pissed off with having it out all the time, the cost will seem worth it.
    For me none of these watches/fitness trackers (any brand) will catch on till they can at least used in swimming pool.

No point in tracking my fitness level on the way to the pool but then not track the 50 lenghts a day I do.
    At the end of the day, a multifunctional device can never replace a dedicated one. A €350 Apple Watch will never track a workout better than a €150 Garmin designed specifically for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

A mate asked me if I was interested in the Apple Watch so I told him that I already had one and I'd probably stick with it. He didn't believe me and was even less impressed when I showed him my vintage black one :)

qo8zo3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A Swiss automatic chrono is as far a competitor for this watch as you can get. They're totally different markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

I'm presuming with all things apple they will be releasing a new smart watch every year now! think I'll wait a bit longer before investing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Eoin wrote: »
    A Swiss automatic chrono is as far a competitor for this watch as you can get. They're totally different markets.

I wasn't suggesting they are. I'd just find it hard to fathom how a grown adult would find it appealing to wear this thing as an everyday watch. As gym / running companion maybe, but then the likes of the iPod mini fills that role just fine. When I think watch, I think a classy quality piece of jewellery which this certainly isn't. As I said it reminds me of the naff Casio's that myself and my mates wore in the '80's and they didn't cost hundreds!

I'm must not be the target market for it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When I think watch, I think a classy quality piece of jewellery which this certainly isn't. As I said it reminds me of the naff Casio's that myself and my mates wore in the '80's and they didn't cost hundreds!

I'm must not be the target market for it...

You probably feel the same about the likes of a Tissot T-Touch / G-Shock / Suunto etc then, which are functional, gadget-y watches that are not classy pieces of jewellery.

Spending hundreds on one of these might sound stupid to you, but similarly spending many multiples of that on an automatic watch that doesn't do anything more than a 10 quid Casio sounds stupid to other people.

IMO, these are wrist worn gadgets for people who think that a traditional watch is redundant, and want something with a lot more functionality.

For what it's worth, I don't see the point of these things either and much prefer my mechanical watches, but you need to compare like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Like a lot of things Apple this is relatively good now but will be great in a few years. It's probably better than the competition.

However these things have to replace the phones at some stage. Not permanently but maybe on a night out or a run. Otherwise you have the iPhone, might as well use it.

That's not there yet and cellular chips will kill the battery.

If that happens and the sensors do better than just a pedometer but measure glucose etc. the watch makes sense. I hope enough early adopters buy them so that when I buy a decent one in 3 years there is still a market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I think it looks pretty good btw. Far better than most android competitors. Stainless steel and sapphire. Interesting bands.

It's the functionality which worries me.

• Advertisement

Interesting pre-review of it from a watch connoisseur perspecive
    http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Either that site is down for me or all the tech blogs also want to know what watch blogs think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Very interesting - the cuff test would kill it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Great review and pics - I've done a complete 180 from not wanting one to really wanting one!

Anyone thinking of picking one up next year?

If I had been thinking about it, the one day battery life would be a deal breaker for me.
    Very interesting - the cuff test would kill it for me.

Wouldn't bother me, though I favour larger watches and have a smaller, simpler one for smarter occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don't know if you've seen this today but this is what the Apple Watch would of looked like if it had a round design instead of the current square one. I personally think this looks gorgeous and would of preferred this a lot more than the current design. It is down to personal preference though. The UI even fits the round display in parts. Hopefully this is what a future generation of the watch will look like.

juXmAEG.jpg

The thing that the guy who mocked that up didn't take into account is That design would mess up one of the features that has been complimented most so far: the strap/lug system.

Plus it would just be a rip of the moto 360 in most peoples eyes.

The thing that the guy who mocked that up didn't take into account is That design would mess up one of the features that has been complimented most so far: the strap/lug system.

Plus it would just be a rip of the moto 360 in most peoples eyes.

I don't know about that. I think that could probably find a way of attaching the straps to it ok, and I wouldn't see it as a rip off of the Moto 360. Watches were (literally) round before and after the 360.

To be honest i think I prefer the round version but you can be sure there's a good UI reason why didn't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Hugely overpriced & that's just the basic model!

Advertisement