Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to fly to Primary Hubs.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

Strumms wrote: »
    Billie where do you get off ? The one and only time I used that bus it was non stop to Porte Mailliot which is only served by line 1

Sorry, I do apologise, I get Port Maillot line 1 five stops to Clemenceau, then hop the 13 line 6 stops to Brochant, there's trains every 3 minutes on the line, its like you don't even get off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ryanair to open Frankfurt base
    Ryanair will operate services to Alicante, Faro, Malaga and Palma and base two aircraft at Frankfurt from March 2017. All four routes will be operated on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leaves just CDG and LHR from the will-never-operate claims of the past. Due to the slot cost at LHR I don't see that one going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Wouldn't Slots be devalued by another runway? Aren't they the aviation equivalent of a Dublin Taxi driver license pre-deregulation.

All those airports would love aircraft based in their airports where the airline is getting 95% occupancy; that's more passenger fees and more customers for the shops and parking in the airport.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ryanair to open Frankfurt base
    Ryanair will operate services to Alicante, Faro, Malaga and Palma and base two aircraft at Frankfurt from March 2017. All four routes will be operated on a daily basis.
    As as potential Customer I welcome the extra choice that this brings. March can be a bit dreary so there are a few slightly sunnier locations to which I can fly by inexpensively by simply walking from my workplace or Apartment to the train and from train to plane in Frankfurt Main.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

back on topic,
    just a day after Ryanair announced their move into Frankfurt which even made a proper article on the main evening news, they are in the news today regarding alleged illegal state subsidies for flying to Lübeck (Hamburg east?) which has now made it to the supreme court.
    The current case is delving into aid received from the city, and has been dragging on now for over 10 years, initially started by Air Berlin, taking a trip to the european courts and now challenged by Ryanair.

Seemingly, the help Ryanair received from Lübeck wasn't limited to a good deal on landing fees, they apparently received €300 per tourist from the Lübeck city council !
    http://regionalflughaefen.info/blankensee/?p=1615

So if you want to figure why Ryanair is abandoning obscure airports for hubs, it could be very much linked to this court case today, which is exposing just why those out of the way airports were so attractive.

EDIT: if anyone is native german speaker, and expert in german legal speak, then heres the previous decisions of courts on the Lübeck case, which I cannot make head nor tail of.
    http://www.shz.de/regionales/newsticker-nord/bgh-verhandelt-im-streit-um-vorteile-fuer-ryanair-in-luebeck-id15243151.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

back on topic,
    just a day after Ryanair announced their move into Frankfurt which even made a proper article on the main evening news, they are in the news today regarding alleged illegal state subsidies for flying to Lübeck (Hamburg east?) which has now made it to the supreme court.
    The current case is delving into aid received from the city, and has been dragging on now for over 10 years, initially started by Air Berlin, taking a trip to the european courts and now challenged by Ryanair.

Seemingly, the help Ryanair received from Lübeck wasn't limited to a good deal on landing fees, they apparently received €300 per tourist from the Lübeck city council !
    http://regionalflughaefen.info/blankensee/?p=1615

So if you want to figure why Ryanair is abandoning obscure airports for hubs, it could be very much linked to this court case today, which is exposing just why those out of the way airports were so attractive.

EDIT: if anyone is native german speaker, and expert in german legal speak, then heres the previous decisions of courts on the Lübeck case, which I cannot make head nor tail of.
    http://www.shz.de/regionales/newsticker-nord/bgh-verhandelt-im-streit-um-vorteile-fuer-ryanair-in-luebeck-id15243151.html

Back on topic of Ryanair flying to hubs (and not their existing remote airports)

Maybe to take advantage of air berlins cut backs before Lufthansa gets a chance and I'm sure some capacity will be freed up by this (link is in English)

https://www.thelocal.de/20160929/air-berlin-to-cut-1200-jobs

well the topic title is "Ryanair to fly to Primary Hubs", so dealing with why they would do this is as much to do with why their beloved regional airports are no longer as attractive, as dealing with news on expansion into hub airports.

Anyhow, after a wee bit more searching about, it seems that Frankfurt airport have been busy little bees and with a fourth runway in operation and €3billion 3rd terminal to be completed in 2022 are over capacity tending towards being way over capacity.
    Since the new runway in 2011, Frankfurt has authorised capacity for 701 000 flights per year, but only 468 000 flights operated last year, thanks to Lufthansa not expanding as predicted/ promised/ expected.

The one catch is that they are lacking in stands at the terminal to deal with extra flights, but Ryanair are happy to park away from the terminal and bus the passengers so they can work away.

So if I read it correctly, there's massive expansion potential for Ryanair at Frankfurt as there's plenty of slots now available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK Folks, for all sorts of reasons, some valid, some not so valid, we've drifted a very long way from the original thread subject, and I'd like to try and get back to where the thread was going before some of us (myself included) widened the subject some .

Can we perhaps move the discussion about the airport that is infrastructure related into the existing Dublin infrastructure thread, as most of that aspect would fit well in that thread.

In relation to the DAA and how they manage (or don't) the airport, that has been split out into a separate thread

Going forward, could I ask people to be restrained in their comments, by all means comment on the post, but don't go after the poster, we've had more than enough aggravation in recent weeks with personal attacks and similar, and the considered opinion is that if people are not going to behave, regardless of how many posts they might have posted, we will be more proactive in taking action to curb the excesses.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Ryanair will fly from Frankfurt Main on many more routes.

This report says they receive a discount for 3 years but I think I heard on radio that the discount only applies to routes not already served which may explain why there is no Dublin/Frankfurt route announced.

https://www.op-online.de/region/frankfurt/wir-sind-europas-guenstigste-airline-7445186.html

And Frankfurt Hahn is being sold by Rheinland-Pfalz and Hessen States to Chinese company HNA for 15 million euro. How many metres of runway at Dublin would that get ya?

• Advertisement

Not sure if it would even deserve a new thread altogether, but today is a day to go into the history books.
    Ryanair have begun their scheduled services from Frankfurt, the real one, the one thats 10min form downtown Frankfurt, which is no where near Luxembourg, yes FRA

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/news/wirtschaft/luftverkehr-ryanair-nimmt-flugbetrieb-aus-lufthansa-nest-frankfurt-auf-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-170328-99-841483

What important airports in western europe are they now missing ?
    Heathrow, Charles de Gaulles, Munich, Stockholm Arlanda would be a few that spring to mind.
    Geneva and Zurich in Switzerland are also missing, but that's Switzerland and with the disposable incomes there you'd wonder if a low cost airline would be popular seeing as they can well afford the prices asked for by swiss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Geneva and Zurich in Switzerland are also missing, but that's Switzerland and with the disposable incomes there you'd wonder if a low cost airline would be popular seeing as they can well afford the prices asked for by swiss.

Easyjet Switzerland (seperate AOC) are fairly successful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Ryanair to feed & codeshare Air Europa flights from Madrid to the Americas.
    you'll be able to book a flight from Dublin to Brasil on ryanair.ie :D
    http://www.preferente.com/noticias-de-transportes/noticias-de-aerolineas/air-europa-se-alia-con-ryanair-para-fortalecer-el-caribe-267365.html

How times have changed.

The low fares like it or lump it carrier is basically now offering nearly every service that conventional airlines offer but with a lower cost base and lower fares.
    holiday destinations
    quasi business offering
    flying to more central locations.
    transatlantic with a twist.

About all they are not doing yet is sub 100 seater planes and carrying freight.
    If they can make the numbers for either of those work then who'd bet against them doing it.
    They announce their financial results next week.
    While passenger growth and profitability is important it will to important to see that their costs aren't increasing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

They are also expanding into the Ukraine which will be their furthest east. The EU has recently (rather stupidly imo) granted Visa Free Travel to Ukraine into the Schengen Area so you can bet your house there will be an exodus from Ukraine and Ryanair will be there to move them back and forth and profit handsomely from it.

Advertisement